• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Emulation with PCSX2 - share your game configs!

Foffy

Banned
I had some slowdowns during one part of the game early on, too much stuff going on the overworld. But other than that it ran pretty fine for me so far.

Alright! I figured I'd ask because the settings suggested here are a year old, and I wondered if a new revision fixed/broke anything. I was going to play Fatal Frame but those games are all screwed up unless you play in software mode when using the camera, and it's only mentioned for the first game here. It's supposed to be fixed in the short term apparently, as I asked about it on their boards. :p

jediyoshi

Darkwatch widescreen patch works great

wVtEd.gif

Can someone please fiddle around with the first Tekken Tag Tournament and tell me how it does look to him/her? The 1200x2000 res trick removes the vertical lines but the game looks like ass, not sharp at all.

It looks crap because NAMCO implemented some weird form of Anti Aliasing for the western release,which made it look like vaseline was smeared all over the screen.

The original Japanese release was heavily slammed for all the unfiltered jaggies.

squall211

Hopefully one of you can help me. Last year I used a program to rip all of my PS2 DVDs to my hard drive so that I wouldn't[ have to switch disks when I wanted to use PCSX2, but I can't for the life of me remember what the name of the program was. I do, however, remember that was extremely simple to use. Does anyone know what program I might be thinking of?

Pooya

Hopefully one of you can help me. Last year I used a program to rip all of my PS2 DVDs to my hard drive so that I wouldn't[ have to switch disks when I wanted to use PCSX2, but I can't for the life of me remember what the name of the program was. I do, however, remember that was extremely simple to use. Does anyone know what program I might be thinking of?

for making images from your discs? imgburn works best.

Lime

ISO Recorder is a simple right-click on your DVD in Explorer and then it automatically rips your CD/DVD to an iso at a specified location.

Probably the most simple one I know of.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Quick question, and my sincere apologies if I overlooked it, but what configuration is GAF reccomending for Kingdom Hearts? New to the whole PCSX2 scene so i'm a little overwhelmed. :p

DeVeAn

54vgwl.jpg

80 hrs in plays great a 3x resolution. Finally got that armor from the post game. My original file was lost years ago. Now I can say I got it!

Tess3ract

Banned
Why aren't you using one of those giga falcon blades? That shit hits 4 times for retarded damage.

You can use metal slash too to grind slimes like no tomorrow

DeVeAn

Why aren't you using one of those giga falcon blades? That shit hits 4 times for retarded damage.

You can use metal slash too to grind slimes like no tomorrow

That is the Falcon Blade, If you mean the uber Falcon Blade then no. I don't want to drop the Meteorite Bracer into the alchemy pot for it.

Is there any chance I will be able to run Hitman Contracts? On my system it loads but at the menu the frame rate falls below 1 and I can't proceed any further. I know it isn't supported but I have seen people say they could play missions. Is there anything I can do?

zeelman

How do I get this to run games in 720P? Right now its running at 1680x944. I'd like it at 720P so its easier to convert into Youtube friendly videos. Plus I'd get a bit of a performance boost since I have NVIDIA GTX 460 SE (Which isn't as good as the standard GTX 460).

jediyoshi

How do I get this to run games in 720P? Right now its running at 1680x944. I'd like it at 720P so its easier to convert into Youtube friendly videos. Plus I'd get a bit of a performance boost since I have NVIDIA GTX 460 SE (Which isn't as good as the standard GTX 460).

What the game is rendering at and the resolution of the game window are separate things. The game could be running at a native resolution and the window be 1920x1080, vice versa.
To specify the size of the window, Config -> Video -> Window Settings and set the resolution in Custom Window Size. The internal resolution that'd affect performance Config -> Video -> Plugin Settings and change the Scaling value

Been playing X-2 lately. Looks amazing! I've got 2x MSAA on, 1920x1080.

also, FFXIII ground textures lol

open in new tab for full res

Turned off Vsync, bumped it to 8x AA. You can still see all the detail on Yuna from this far:

Edit: now with widescreen and a bump in brightness:

And one with adjusted brightness, contrast, saturation. Probably what I'll stick with for the game. Messing with settings is fun, now the earlier shots look like shit by comparison:

Widescreen is great for this game. Especially in battles where certain things would go off screen.

RDreamer

Started messing with my new Macbook Pro and PCSX2. I finally got FFXII International to work, too. I'm not even sure how I did it, but finally the audio and everything seems to work. At first I was getting a lot of audio stuttering, especially during cutscenes, but now everything works well. The audio isn't 100% great, but it's about 90% there. I'll take it.

Pretty awesome to finally be able to play this in HD!

Sorry if this was discussed but is there any way to play the Ace Combat games without some major graphical issues? I remember there being some really obstructive lines and sometimes not even being able to see what you're doing. This was about a year ago, not sure if any progress was made for it.

Varna

I will try it tomorrow. Haven't gotten around to ripping it yet.

I'm still pretty new to PCSX2. It was just a matter of getting the right interlacing.

Game looks really good.

I am having other issues that aren't as easily resolved.

First, the sound is lagging just behind whatever action is going on.
Second issue is that the character shadows are overlapping the actual character. Been working on this one for a while... searched around and there doesn't seem to be a fix for it. :(

RDreamer

One thing that sucks about FFXII so far is that the game runs pretty perfectly fine (aside from music not being at 100%), and at like 50-60 fps the whole time, but the equip menu runs like crap. I'm talking sub 1 fps. Anyone running this on a mac know a setting to change? I've seen online you should disable 8 bit textures, but I don't see that option anywhere on the mac version.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I sort of tried installing this on OS X, but I'm getting errors. Primarily the "GS Plugin" is missing - whatever that is.

Should I just wait until I install Windows? Or is it worth it to play on OS X?

Lime

One thing that sucks about FFXII so far is that the game runs pretty perfectly fine (aside from music not being at 100%), and at like 50-60 fps the whole time, but the equip menu runs like crap. I'm talking sub 1 fps. Anyone running this on a mac know a setting to change? I've seen online you should disable 8 bit textures, but I don't see that option anywhere on the mac version.

Try setting Skipdraw to equal 1 or some other value.

RDreamer

I sort of tried installing this on OS X, but I'm getting errors. Primarily the "GS Plugin" is missing - whatever that is.

Should I just wait until I install Windows? Or is it worth it to play on OS X?

I believe that means your graphics plugin is missing, or it can't find it. Try and locate that, and you should be good. Mine seems to lose the location once in a while too for some reason. Just go to your plugins and select the folder it's in once again.

Try setting Skipdraw to equal 1 or some other value.

I couldn't find this option, so I did a search, and I think that's another option that's only available in the GSdx plugin, which isn't available on the Mac side.

I had this happen and it was because I had my resolution set to something insane like 6x native with 8x AA. Amazingly enough, the game ran fine, but the menus couldn't handle it...of course, my pc was on fire after. I changed it back to 1920x1080 and everything was fine.

RDreamer

I had this happen and it was because I had my resolution set to something insane like 6x native with 8x AA. Amazingly enough, the game ran fine, but the menus couldn't handle it...of course, my pc was on fire after. I changed it back to 1920x1080 and everything was fine.

I only had it on 4x AA with a window size of 1280x960 (quite honestly I'm not sure what it's actually rendering at... doesn't seem to say if that's what it's rendering at or not). I tried turning it down to 2x AA with a window size of 1024x768, but that didn't really do much of anything. If it sped it up, it was only by an absolute minuscule amount, but it looked worse, so I changed it back.

like playing a bullshot:

I only had it on 4x AA with a window size of 1280x960 (quite honestly I'm not sure what it's actually rendering at... doesn't seem to say if that's what it's rendering at or not). I tried turning it down to 2x AA with a window size of 1024x768, but that didn't really do much of anything. If it sped it up, it was only by an absolute minuscule amount, but it looked worse, so I changed it back.

that sucks, try some speedhacks?

RDreamer

that sucks, try some speedhacks?

Yeah, I've been slowly trying things one by one. I think at one point I had some of the menus working pretty alright (though the equip one was always slowest), but the music was a garbled mess at that time. I feel like it's kind of a choice. Deal with the music being a garbled mess, or deal with just the equip menu being a little bit slow. As of now I'll choose the equip menu being slightly slow.

Either way, this play through so far has been great. It's really insane the amount of detail in this game. Honestly if they had released FFXIII with this level of graphics I don't think I'd have complained at all. It kind of pisses me off that they didn't, because I'm sure they could have pumped out 3 mainline FFs with these graphics by now.

Gah, I've been wanting to replay FF12 and Kingdom Hearts 2 so badly on this, but using anti aliasing creates graphical glitches. I want to fill a folder of screenshots for the games, and the jaggies are unfortunately a deal breaker.

Such pretty games too! :(

RDreamer

They seriously are. SE had better be working on some PS3/360 ports of these things. It's really a shame that only emulators can see this. Then again, Xenoblade is in the same boat (recently realized my computer can run Dolphin, too, so I popped my copy of the game on here and checked what it looked like and it's pretty insane too)

Yeah, I've been slowly trying things one by one. I think at one point I had some of the menus working pretty alright (though the equip one was always slowest), but the music was a garbled mess at that time. I feel like it's kind of a choice. Deal with the music being a garbled mess, or deal with just the equip menu being a little bit slow. As of now I'll choose the equip menu being slightly slow.

Either way, this play through so far has been great. It's really insane the amount of detail in this game. Honestly if they had released FFXIII with this level of graphics I don't think I'd have complained at all. It kind of pisses me off that they didn't, because I'm sure they could have pumped out 3 mainline FFs with these graphics by now.

what are your specs? what build of PCSX2 are you using?

I'm still pretty new to PCSX2. It was just a matter of getting the right interlacing.

Game looks really good.

I am having other issues that aren't as easily resolved.

First, the sound is lagging just behind whatever action is going on.
Second issue is that the character shadows are overlapping the actual character. Been working on this one for a while... searched around and there doesn't seem to be a fix for it. :(

I don't have any issues with sound lag, not sure how to fix that.

Disabling CRCs fixes the shadow clipping issue, but makes the walls see-through:

I also couldn't get the widescreen patch to work for the game. oh well.

RDreamer

what are your specs? what build of PCSX2 are you using?

I'm using one of the new Macbook Pros. It has: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 4GB ram, and NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB. I'm running OS X Lion 10.7.4.

I'm running PCSX2 0.9.6 right now. There is a 0.9.7, but it's in Alpha and I couldn't get it to run much at all.

I think I got the menus to a tolerable level. They're still not great, but they're better. What sucks is that setting also seems to make cutscenes slightly wonky though. When something is in focus it looks great, but out of focus seems to almost look like there's a transparent double of the character model. Doesn't happen all the time, though.

I'm using one of the new Macbook Pros. It has: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 4GB ram, and NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB. I'm running OS X Lion 10.7.4.

I'm running PCSX2 0.9.6 right now. There is a 0.9.7, but it's in Alpha and I couldn't get it to run much at all.

I think I got the menus to a tolerable level. They're still not great, but they're better. What sucks is that setting also seems to make cutscenes slightly wonky though. When something is in focus it looks great, but out of focus seems to almost look like there's a transparent double of the character model. Doesn't happen all the time, though.

oh, there's a mac version of PCSX2 now? or are you dual booting? Your best bet would be to dual boot it if you have a Windows partition. I doubt the mac version is up to par with the latest win7 build. The problem could be related to unoptimized code...

RDreamer

oh, there's a mac version of PCSX2 now? or are you dual booting? Your best bet would be to dual boot it if you have a Windows partition. I doubt the mac version is up to par with the latest win7 build. The problem could be related to unoptimized code...

Yeah, I know the problem is pretty much that the Mac build is behind. I guess I'm ok with that for the most part. I can't dual boot, though. When I traded in my old macbook for this one I got a lot less hard drive space. I still have a bit left, but if I dual booted I'd take down quite a bit of that just for emulators, and I can't do that. I do graphic design for a living, so I need all the space I can get for that stuff. There's that and I really can't afford to buy another copy of windows at this point.

Maybe if gaming were worse on macs I'd consider it, but gaming has got pretty darned good. Steam has a ton of stuff I can try out with my new specs, and I've been running Diablo 3 like a dream on here. And as I said before, Dolphin works so I can start to test out all my wii games and replay some of them (or play some of them since I kind of neglect my wii...) So there's really very little incentive to dual boot to windows anymore.

Again, I'm at a point where FFXII is pretty playable. It's just an odd annoyance in the menu that I'd like to fix if I could. Other than that the game looks amazing and plays really well. So a slow menu isn't really cause enough to dual boot, too :p

And yeah there's been a Mac version for a while. I think I tried it on my old laptop, but that one sucked a ton and couldn't do crap at all. The guy who's porting it is working on the updated 0.9.7, and some of the plugins are being ported slowly. It'll get there soon. Then again, mountain lion might throw another wrench into it, lol

Varna

I don't have any issues with sound lag, not sure how to fix that.

Disabling CRCs fixes the shadow clipping issue, but makes the walls see-through:

I also couldn't get the widescreen patch to work for the game. oh well.

What sound plugin/settings are you using?

The shadow thing is just something we have to deal with I guess.

Maxim726X

Wow you can get this running on laptops now? I remember 2 years ago I was getting laughed at for merely asking if it were possible.

I figured I'd ask this question again, now that this thread is getting some traffic.

I've got an AMD Phenom Black (quad core, 3.2 GHZ) and I think a Radeon 48xx trying to run this, and after about 20-30 minutes of play PCSX just randomly shuts down. I was told it MIGHT be the instability of the extra cores I unlocked... Anyone have any suggestions?

Varna

A couple more games getting the HD treatment and I wont need to use this program anymore. It never worked even with my i5 2500k! :(

That's what I'm using. Are you Overclocking? At 4.6GHZ everything is running fantastic. Just a shame that certain things are brought down by little graphic glitches that have no solution.

Those "HD" games don't even look anywhere near as good as these either.

Maxim726X

That's what I'm using. Are you Overclocking? At 4.6GHZ everything is running fantastic. Just a shame that certain things are brought down by little graphic glitches that have no solution.

Those "HD" games don't even look anywhere near as good as these either.

Whoa what? Overclocked to 4.6?? Shit... I thought that my 3.2 would be enough (on an AMD).

Are these the kind of speeds you need to run everything in high-def smoothly?

Varna

Whoa what? Overclocked to 4.6?? Shit... I thought that my 3.2 would be enough (on an AMD).

Are these the kind of speeds you need to run everything in high-def smoothly?

No idea actually. This is just my everyday OC. 4.6 is easy as hell on this CPU. Not sure if you could do it on stock cooling through. I'm using the Hyper 212.

Gah, I've been wanting to replay FF12 and Kingdom Hearts 2 so badly on this, but using anti aliasing creates graphical glitches. I want to fill a folder of screenshots for the games, and the jaggies are unfortunately a deal breaker.

Sucks! Both work perfectly for me :<. Zodiac Job System and Final Mix + both english patched no less :3.

Looks like the ffx2 widescreen patch isn't a totally proper widescreen

http://i.imgur.com/EmvZv.gif[/mg][/QUOTE]

meh, close enough

[quote="Varna, post: 39840994"]What sound plugin/settings are you using?

The shadow thing is just something we have to deal with I guess.[/QUOTE]

Here's another shot with settings I would play it at:

[QUOTE][IMG]http://i.minus.com/ibs77gK0ImkIHm.png

My full set up:

CPU: i5-2500k @ 4.ghz
GPU: GTX 570
RAM: 8gb

using PCSX2 0.9.9 SVN 5236
Graphics: GSdx 5336 SSE4.1
Settings:
D11 Hardware
Interlacing: Auto
Internal Res: 1920x1080
Shade Boost: saturation, contrast, and brightness all up a little
Texture filtering: check
8bit textures: unchecked
HW Hacks Enabled: 8x MSAA, Alpha checked, Half-pixel Offset checked, Sprite checked, WildArms unchecked, Aggressive-CRC checked, Disable CRC unchecked

Sound: SPU2-X r4600m

runs at 60fps, I'd consider trying out 16x to see if it slows down at all

Top Bottom