• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Emulation with PCSX2 - share your game configs!

iceatcs

I want to overclock my CPU to see if the framerate increase well for some games I like to play.
But I have a question what is the limit temperature (in C) for Core i7 860 at load in long term? is 50C suitable?

Few shots from me, nothing special :<. I need to take a look at dat widescreen hack.

KH2FM:
v6DmI.jpg

FF12ZJS:

Haunting Ground/Memento:

I'm pissed off that Klonoa 2 doesn't work :(.

Varna

Thanks Seraphinianus. Pretty much what I was using minus HW hacks.

Did you change anything within the sound plugin? I'm still getting that slight lag with sound effects... maybe I just don't remember what it actually sounds like on the hardware. For example I open the map and I hear the sound like few milliseconds later.

I notice that Nocturne has some kind of blur filter going on too... anyone have any luck removing it with the skipdraw? I'm trying right now... 8/100 :(

Paracelsus

I want to overclock my CPU to see if the framerate increase well for some games I like to play.
But I have a question what is the limit temperature (in C) for Core i7 860 at load in long term? is 50C suitable?

You're cool for a two years long gaming session.

Thanks Seraphinianus. Pretty much what I was using minus HW hacks.

Did you change anything within the sound plugin? I'm still getting that slight lag with sound effects... maybe I just don't remember what it actually sounds like on the hardware. For example I open the map and I hear the sound like few milliseconds later.

I notice that Nocturne has some kind of blur filter going on too... anyone have any luck removing it with the skipdraw? I'm trying right now... 8/100 :(

I don't think I've changed anything in the sound settings. I haven't messed with skipdraw either, but I wanna try that out. The blur filter isn't so bad in motion, looks just like on my plasma + ps2. Also, moving to a native res multiplier might help bring down the blur a bit.

Varna

I don't think I've changed anything in the sound settings. I haven't messed with skipdraw either, but I wanna try that out. The blur filter isn't so bad in motion, looks just like on my plasma + ps2. Also, moving to a native res multiplier might help bring down the blur a bit.

Just tried all 100... nope. Nothing removes the blur filter or the shadows. The blur filter is a bit too much on a monitor, on the TV it's better.

Can't get any kind of vsync to work either.

xJavonta

Banned
I love the "scan lines" or whatever it is. It's like turning your monitor into a CRT. Makes AA unnecesary and gives it a sick "old school" look.

Just tried all 100... nope. Nothing removes the blur filter or the shadows. The blur filter is a bit too much on a monitor, on the TV it's better.

Can't get any kind of vsync to work either.

Oh, so that's 100 different settings? I thought it was just measuring intensity of skip draw or something haha

Maybe Nocturne works better on different builds. I played around with a really old build a few years ago before the project got huge (in 2007 or 2008, I think)...Nocturne was one of the games that was running well on my 2.6ghz Core 2 Duo + 8800GT. The blur filter did not even display, so it was crisp, but jaggy because AA was not implemented yet. I don't remember if the shadows clipped like that, but I don't think they did.

getting rid of the filter and putting on 8x AA would make the game IQ look really nice. On the other hand, the blur does play a role in the game's weird atmosphere.

Pooya

Looks like the ffx2 widescreen patch isn't a totally proper widescreen

EmvZv.gif

that's because the patch (in widescreen helper) has wrong value for 16:9 fov, it's on purpose because the game doesn't render the areas near edges and you'll see a lot of pop-in, so they made the view smaller a bit. FFX is same too.

if you want it in proper widescreen and without popins, you have to use the elf patches by nemesis2000, directly modifying the game's elf with Hex editor and it makes the game render more actually, so it works (it changes the angle game thinks it needs to display basically, on top of FOV). here http://ps2wide.net/#ffx
just get the elf of your game from the disc, replace the values and then use the "run elf" option of pcsx2. it will override the elf that's on disc or image and uses the modified one, you don't need to rebuild the image or anything like that.

same goes for kh1. the good part is that these fixes work on a real PS2 (a hacked one ofcourse) as well (well, those memory hacks work too but not as straight forward as these.)

Stuart444

Anyone gotten Tales of the Abyss running good?

I'm using 0.9.9.5326, scaling at x3 and MSAA at x16

Had a bit of noticeable slowdown depending on where I was (though the game looks great on the emulator) and some double vision at Tataroo Valley with the save point.

Anyone got any good config settings for any of the builds near the one I am using? (if not, tomorrow I may try to put MSAA down to x8 and see how it does.)

wiggleb0t

Banned
What's the opinion of the upcoming HD final fantasy X looking better than a maxed out version running in PCSX2?

Considering a run through however would delay it if the HD version is going to be worth it.
Mere speculation but with the ps3 hardware I couldn't see it looking better than an emulated version with max settings....

StuBurns

Banned
We don't know anything about the port. If it has the 2D assets redone in 3D, and all the CG redone, it's going to be a much slicker package.

Stuart444

Is there a way to fix a ghosting effect in FFX-2? Like when you're in battle, you'll see an obvious double vision/ghosting effect around the characters.

edit: Looked at the previous page and noticed I missed a post with beautiful looking FFX-2 shots and now I am wondering how the hell did he get them looking so nicely

With MSAA on, I get flickering at the edge of the left side of the screen. I get double vision/ghosting in battle and I can't tell if the widescreen elf is working (granted that's less of a problem compared to the other two since if I had the other two issues fixed, I'd be able to check the widescreen stuff properly and get it working >_< )

http://i.imgur.com/sO1ez.jpg

Hope this shows what I mean about the double vision at least. I also can't tell if Rikku is supposed to be there but it cut her off when I was running the game or not :/

Is there a way to fix a ghosting effect in FFX-2? Like when you're in battle, you'll see an obvious double vision/ghosting effect around the characters.

edit: Looked at the previous page and noticed I missed a post with beautiful looking FFX-2 shots and now I am wondering how the hell did he get them looking so nicely

With MSAA on, I get flickering at the edge of the left side of the screen. I get double vision/ghosting in battle and I can't tell if the widescreen elf is working (granted that's less of a problem compared to the other two since if I had the other two issues fixed, I'd be able to check the widescreen stuff properly and get it working >_< )

http://i.imgur.com/sO1ez.jpg

Hope this shows what I mean about the double vision at least. I also can't tell if Rikku is supposed to be there but it cut her off when I was running the game or not :/

I know exactly what you mean (FFX does it too) and I think one of the hardware hacks fix it.
Get the most recent build (or edit the .ini to enable HW hacks) and try it out. I think I read a non-native resolution multiplier might also cause some of it, but i'm still at 1920x1080 and its mostly gone.

linko9

that's because the patch (in widescreen helper) has wrong value for 16:9 fov, it's on purpose because the game doesn't render the areas near edges and you'll see a lot of pop-in, so they made the view smaller a bit. FFX is same too.

if you want it in proper widescreen and without popins, you have to use the elf patches by nemesis2000, directly modifying the game's elf with Hex editor and it makes the game render more actually, so it works (it changes the angle game thinks it needs to display basically, on top of FOV). here http://ps2wide.net/#ffx
just get the elf of your game from the disc, replace the values and then use the "run elf" option of pcsx2. it will override the elf that's on disc or image and uses the modified one, you don't need to rebuild the image or anything like that.

same goes for kh1. the good part is that these fixes work on a real PS2 (a hacked one ofcourse) as well (well, those memory hacks work too but not as straight forward as these.)

Wow, didn't know about these widescreen hacks, thanks for the heads up. I'll have to check some out.

Seik

Banned
Is there an english patch for Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix? Those pics up there got me curious.

If yes, I'll go buy one on ebay right away!

linko9

798531cabe8aae917b19ceee3750e7ec.png

anyone know if i can get a decent game play with FFX with this computer?

My old laptop had a core 2 duo @2.2 GHz, and FFX ran fine on it, I think even at 2x internal res, though I may be remembering that wrong. And the graphics card on it was shitty.

Aurizen

My old laptop had a core 2 duo @2.2 GHz, and FFX ran fine on it, I think even at 2x internal res, though I may be remembering that wrong. And the graphics card on it was shitty.

what was your settings on? could you screen shot that for me.

linko9

what was your settings on? could you screen shot that for me.

Unfortunately that machine's stone cold dead. But I can remember I used GSdx9, with standard settings, just upped the internal res. As far as speed hacks go, I might have had some on, but don't remember. Other than that, everything was definitely default. Really all you can do is play around with the speedhacks to try to get better speed, and maybe use GSdx10, though for most games that increases accuracy but decreases speed, at least on my current machine.

Stuart444

Looks great, got rid of the blurry effect. Now all I wonder is, I used the run -> elf for the widescreen hack mentioned above but it makes me question, is Rikku supposed to be missing there even with the widescreen hack? Does some battles just have people off screen with nothing we can really do?

If so, that's fine, it looks great on the emulator anyway :D apart from the whole switching between HW and SW modes due to the FMV problems (wonder why that's a problem for FFX-2 but not FFX)

There is a 16:9 hack and it renders everything 3D just fine though HUD and menu's are stretched like most 16:9 hacks, just requires hex editing (search & replace) in the main file named SLUS_215.03:

http://ps2wide.net/img/big/gh1.jpg[/ig] [img]http://ps2wide.net/img/big/gh2.jpg[/ig]

[url]http://ps2wide.net/#g[/url][/QUOTE]

I know it exists, I was saying I'd rather play the game in 4:3. although 16:9 might help with those off screen cheap shots when you're in Die mode

also, hex editing + re-ripping sounds like it will take effort :p

In regards to this post in the OP about icons... well, I'm using the newest version of Resource Hacker that supports PNG icons, but when I follow this tutorial, I can only select .exe, .dll, .res, and .ico files. Am I missing something?

Luigi87

In regards to this post in the OP about icons... well, I'm using the newest version of Resource Hacker that supports PNG icons, but when I follow this tutorial, I can only select .exe, .dll, .res, and .ico files. Am I missing something?

Hmm, I'm not really sure what to say. I also don't see PNG file type with the latest version.
What I did was I used Photoshop with a ICO plugin to save out ICO files. Of course any PNG->ICO converter should work, then I just used that file to select via Resource Hacker.

Hmm, I'm not really sure what to say. I also don't see PNG file type with the latest version.
What I did was I used Photoshop with a ICO plugin to save out ICO files. Of course any PNG->ICO converter should work, then I just used that file to select via Resource Hacker.
I see. Thanks for the help. I'll probably look up that ICO plugin later.

And thanks for the guide you wrote up, especially.

Shion

Has anyone gotten Primal working? I'd love to see it in HD but my crappy PC can't run anything beyond PS1 emulation.

squall211

Hopefully someone can answer this. I'm playing Xenosaga III at 3x native, and it runs more or less very smooth. However, whenever a cutscene starts, it plays at native resolution (or so it seems). Is there a way to change that?

Luigi87

Pre-rendered cutscenes for any game will do that, since they're recorded footage and the emulator upscaler will only upres actual gameplay (engine stuff), and not video.

Cheddahz

Banned
Ugh, I have been working with this all afternoon and I haven't been getting good results...hopefully I'll have it up and running soon

Hey guys, is FXAA able to be enabled in 0.9.8? I've got the latest version but I don't see it as an option.

I'd really like to replay KH2 with it on, since the hack AA produces the game lines on the floors of the environment. If I could FXAA it might remove most of the aliasing and still look nice.

ChryZ

Hey guys, is FXAA able to be enabled in 0.9.8? I've got the latest version but I don't see it as an option.

I'd really like to replay KH2 with it on, since the hack AA produces the game lines on the floors of the environment. If I could FXAA it might remove most of the aliasing and still look nice.
I can't remember which version introduced FXAA, but you have to enable it with the "page up" key. Enabling it will show up in the log window, so you can verify that way.

I can't remember which version introduced FXAA, but you have to enable it with the "page up" key. Enabling it will show up in the log window, so you can verify that way.

Thanks dude, I got it working. I added fxaa=1 to the gsdx ini and I can now use AA. My KH2 playthrough is going well, now that I don't have to worry about aliasing. :)

Is there a fix for the God awful blurring in Persona 4? I'm guessing this is some weird frame buffering that was actually intended but hope I'm wrong.

RDreamer

Anyone ever have this problem. I'm playing FFXII, and it doesn't want to load things now. I can't get into one area. The screen stays black when it's trying to load it. The music keeps going , but it just never loads. Also, when I switch my party it won't load. It just freezes on the menu (though the timer on the bottom keeps going). If I switch out one character at a time I can get it to work until I get to the 3rd person, then it freezes as though I did all 3 at once.

This really sucks, as I'm like 25 hours into the game now...

yogloo

I am having a problem with armored core nexus. The in game graphic looks really blurry, then I notice that on the edges everything, there's seems to be a faint double line. Anyone familiar with this problem?

Top Bottom