• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Emulation with PCSX2 - share your game configs!

Astra

Holy shit. I just noticed NOW the main character's shadow kinda cuts through the bottom of his feet.

Can't unsee :( thanks a lot gaf.

You can fix that, but the fix is a lot worse. It makes it so lights, people, and other objects can be seen through walls. The shadow thing quickly went out of mind after I tried that fix, haha.

I can't seem to run Nocturne at anything higher than 2x resolution without getting terrible slowdown in some sections. My GPU load goes to 100% (GTX660ti) when there is a lot of lighting effects from spells and such, or fog. I'm new to PCSX2 though, so maybe I am missing something.
I have no issues running everything on Dolphin at 4x Resolution.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Downloaded the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 (SLES-55474) pnach file and while it enabled the widescreen fix, for some reason the FMV and portrait fixes are not working.

pcsx22013-01-1404-40-8huuq.png

pcsx22013-01-1404-38-giu0n.png

Is there something else I need to do beyond just dumping the pnach file in the cheats folder?

I really wish Widescreen Fixes would make every UI element render in 4:3 instead of stretching it.

I don't mind that it would look weird when there's Borders that would go around the entire screen. Stretched UI elements just look so ugly.

Lime

I really wish Widescreen Fixes would make every UI element render in 4:3 instead of stretching it.

I don't mind that it would look weird when there's Borders that would go around the entire screen. Stretched UI elements just look so ugly.

There's a UI fix for Persona 4 on this or the last page.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
There's a UI fix for Persona 4 on this or the last page.

I know, but I mean the entire UI. For every game. Why isn't it rendered in a 4:3 aspect ratio on the center of the screen?

Leave the "borders" around it for 3D content only. Maintain the proepr aspect ratio of all the UI, not just the portraits.

jediyoshi

I know, but I mean the entire UI. For every game. Why isn't it rendered in a 4:3 aspect ratio on the center of the screen?

Leave the "borders" around it for 3D content only. Maintain the proepr aspect ratio of all the UI, not just the portraits.

Because patches are done on a per game basis and typically consists of having to find the address of each HUD element separately to modify it. They're not deliberately stretching everything else, it's just that way because the entire image is already being stretched.

jediyoshi

Just saw the persona 3 / 4 patches got updated with font fixes,
probably just a matter of time before the top right hud element gets unstretched

threw these together

1TebYph.gif

msptpKI.gif

B.K.

How exactly do you get widescreen patches to work? I tried to get the one for Final Fantasy X: International to work, but I can't get it to work. I've put the patch in the cheat folder and enabled cheats, like the site says, but it never works.

Pooya

How exactly do you get widescreen patches to work? I tried to get the one for Final Fantasy X: International to work, but I can't get it to work. I've put the patch in the cheat folder and enabled cheats, like the site says, but it never works.

do you see a 'cheat enabled' message in the log window?
do you have the correct pnach file? the name of the file should be same as CRC of the game's elf file, you can see the CRC of the game's file in the log windows after you launch the game.
also make sure you have set your window aspect ratio to 16:9 of course.

jediyoshi

Double check to make sure the game id listed for the game on the site matches your specific version of the game.

Check yours in PCSX2, Misc -> Show Console, load up the game, then look for a line in the console that looks something like:

(SYSTEM.CNF) Detected PS2 Disc = cdrom0:\SLUS_216.21;1
(bolded will vary on your game)

That should match up with the beginning of the id listed on the site

Then just double check and make sure the image is actually set to widescreen, go to Config -> Emulation Settings -> GS Window

Ledsen

Are there any annoying glitches or visual oddities you get while using the P4 WS patch? If so I'd rather play 4:3 I thinkk.

jediyoshi

Are there any annoying glitches or visual oddities you get while using the P4 WS patch? If so I'd rather play 4:3 I thinkk.

Go with 4:3 in P4, it's not so much the patch's fault but a lot of scenes don't account for things rendered outside the 4:3 area so there'll be cases of characters waiting off to the side before entering the "scene". Ironically P3 has way less instances of this

Dirtie

This has already been brought up, but for those of you playing Final Fantasy XII, I highly recommend you use the appropriate widescreen patch available here: http://ps2wide.net/f.html

FFXII has built-in 16:9 support but it's a bit shonky because while it's not fully vert-, it does use a combination of vert- and hor+ (i.e. you see a little more to the sides but some of the top and bottom are cut off). The fix makes it fully hor+ (nothing lost from the top and bottom, more can be seen at the sides). It slightly helps alleviate the problem with being unable to see some enemy health bars unless you have a really high camera angle, and makes it a bit less frustrating in general (I keep wishing I could zoom out properly like in Xenoblade).

hw10V7f.gif

For those not in the know: download the appropriate pnach file and put it in your cheats folder, or cheats_ws folder in later builds, and enable cheats under the system menu in the emulator.

FF12 only. Most games have fewer glitches and display faster in DX10/11 than they do in DX9. It's the exception, not the rule.
The only issue I've noticed with DX11 is a line/gap in the middle of the title graphic for the Sky Pirate's Den (hardly a big deal). Are there any sources/pics to support that DX9 is superior for this game?

Edit: switched to DX9 and straight away noticed glitches like character shadows not being aligned properly, an untextured polygon showing up at a certain camera angle, and a vertical black line occasionally showing up next to my character. The Sky Pirate's Den title has the same issue as before as well (unless I turn texture filtering off or switch to software mode). I'll stick to DX11 thanks.

First post

*slow claps*

Anyway, any of you guys having problems running Tony Hawk's Underground 2? It's like every 30 seconds the game slows down to unbearable speeds for some reason.

First post

*slow claps*

Anyway, any of you guys having problems running Tony Hawk's Underground 2? It's like every 30 seconds the game slows down to unbearable speeds for some reason.

When you say "slows down" do you mean FPS drops, or just that the game is running slower than it should?

If the former, your PC probably isn't up to spec. You may be able to get it working better with some speed hacks but too many and it leads to the latter. If the game is running too slow, but at full FPS, then you have too many speed hacks on. VU cycle steal (I believe that's what it's called from memory, it's a slider) needs to be set no further than 1 or off. Anything more than that almost always causes slow downs on games, especially those with a fixed frame rate (versus something like Shadow of the Colossus which has a variable frame rate)

Varg

Banned
Downloaded this the first day I built my pc last week. Holy crap the games look nice!!!!! I'm in the middle of ghost rider and I never knew how badass this game is. the 60 fps and 1080p really create brand new experiences on the pc for these games.

Pooya

Go with 4:3 in P4, it's not so much the patch's fault but a lot of scenes don't account for things rendered outside the 4:3 area so there'll be cases of characters waiting off to the side before entering the "scene". Ironically P3 has way less instances of this

it's possible to decrease the FOV a little bit to cover those inactive characters on the sides. you'll get a bit of stretching though.

coopolon

This has already been brought up, but for those of you playing Final Fantasy XII, I highly recommend you use the appropriate widescreen patch available here: http://ps2wide.net/f.html

FFXII has built-in 16:9 support but it's a bit shonky because while it's not fully vert-, it does use a combination of vert- and hor+ (i.e. you see a little more to the sides but some of the top and bottom are cut off). The fix makes it fully hor+ (nothing lost from the top and bottom, more can be seen at the sides). It slightly helps alleviate the problem with being unable to see some enemy health bars unless you have a really high camera angle, and makes it a bit less frustrating in general (I keep wishing I could zoom out properly like in Xenoblade).

hw10V7f.gif

For those not in the know: download the appropriate pnach file and put it in your cheats folder, or cheats_ws folder in later builds, and enable cheats under the system menu in the emulator.

The only issue I've noticed with DX11 is a line/gap in the middle of the title graphic for the Sky Pirate's Den (hardly a big deal). Are there any sources/pics to support that DX9 is superior for this game?

Edit: switched to DX9 and straight away noticed glitches like character shadows not being aligned properly, an untextured polygon showing up at a certain camera angle, and a vertical black line occasionally showing up next to my character. The Sky Pirate's Den title has the same issue as before as well (unless I turn texture filtering off or switch to software mode). I'll stick to DX11 thanks.

Just wanted to say thanks for this post, am planning on starting FFXII tonight so perfect timing.

ari

Banned
hey guys,

I am trying to build a fairly cheap htpc for emulation and such. Can someone recommend cheap components that run Pcsx2 and Dolphin good?

Ty4on

hey guys,

I am trying to build a fairly cheap htpc for emulation and such. Can someone recommend cheap components that run Pcsx2 and Dolphin good?

We have this.

I'd say i3 with a decent clock rate (3220/3240) and mid-low end GPU like the Radeon 7770. Don't know how much better an i5 will do, but it is a bit expensive. Radeon 7750 is a little weaker, but you can find smaller single slot cards and it doesn't need extra power (PCI-e power is enough) which can make it better for HTPC.

zbarron

Set your PCSX2 resolution to a widescreen one and it will fill it in perfectly.

Edit: Specifically Config-Video-Window settings and the top option set to widescreen.

Bearpowers

Neo Member
Set your PCSX2 resolution to a widescreen one and it will fill it in perfectly.

Edit: Specifically Config-Video-Window settings and the top option set to widescreen.

So select Widescreen in my game, go to custom resolution, and set a custom resolution of say 1920 x 1080?

Edit:I'm only changing the internal res it seems, no idea how to change external.

zbarron

So select Widescreen in my game, go to custom resolution, and set a custom resolution of say 1920 x 1080?

Edit:I'm only changing the internal res it seems, no idea how to change external.
My edit is more accurate advice

adviceycuaj.jpg

Notice the top option on the right. It should be set as widescreen.

legacyzero

Banned
Anybody have any good settings for running TimeSplitters: Future Perfect?

She gets really choppy on me for cutscenes, and I get some weird glitches on the bottom half of my screen sometimes.

R1CHO

Pooya

Widescreen patch shenanigans aside, are Persona 3 and 4 pretty much running perfectly these days?

yeah, just use D3D10 renderer with sprite hack (to fix sprite shadows in menus) and alpha stencil hack to fix the 3D shadows in battles. it runs and looks perfectly then.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Hey guys noob here. What kind of rig do I need to get acceptable performance emulating PS2? Thanks.

Luigi87

teiresias

Thank you for posting, this is very cool, works great.

Looks great. Definitely setting up my PCSX2 like this once I upgrade my rig when Haswell releases (I can't be bothered to do anything install-intensive on my current rig knowing I'll just be formatting in a few months).

Alebrije

We have this.

I'd say i3 with a decent clock rate (3220/3240) and mid-low end GPU like the Radeon 7770. Don't know how much better an i5 will do, but it is a bit expensive. Radeon 7750 is a little weaker, but you can find smaller single slot cards and it doesn't need extra power (PCI-e power is enough) which can make it better for HTPC.

I have a laptop with i5 and NVIDIA Gforce GT525m for graphics, 4 gb ram . Can it run the PS2 emulator you use?????

Tenrius

I have a laptop with i5 and NVIDIA Gforce GT525m for graphics, 4 gb ram . Can it run the PS2 emulator you use?????

I got a similar laptop, although it has Radeon HD 5650 instead of your GeForce. Kingdom Hearts runs at full speed with a pretty high rendering resolution (although it took a massive amount of adjusting the options). The other game I tried was Jak 3 and it was a disaster, but I understand it would be like this on any setup. Didn't really try other games.

R1CHO

Does Black work on this thing yet? By that I mean not a glitchy mess.

For the glitchy mess you have to set the clamping mode on the Vus and on the EE/IOP to none.

With that it will work fine in that regard.

But it seems that i can't get the lighting effects working perfect on hardware mode, just on software, as you can see here:

ibzLi1xd2ncce9.png

ibbAnkVIog9jOY.png

That said i have only played around with it for a couple of minutes, maybe there is an easy fix with some setting.

Cheddahz

Banned
I'm getting some slowdown on Persona 4, any help? I also tried to download the widescreen hack for it, but when I clicked on the link next to the title, it just took me to a document page, any help with that as well?

Rootbeer

Banned
There's a nice little front end for PCSX2 out there now, I don't think it's been reported here..

PCSX2Bonus:
Lets you do custom configs for each game, create .exe desktop icons to launch games, downloads cover art and screenshots
WOW! I've been waiting for something like this that lets you do per-game configs easily. The great ui with game artwork and stuff is an even bigger bonus <3

jediyoshi

Some random shots, keeping shade boost on my default now

1687166db5.jpg

98498vcf2q.jpg

65814pnivc.jpg

I'm getting some slowdown on Persona 4, any help? I also tried to download the widescreen hack for it, but when I clicked on the link next to the title, it just took me to a document page, any help with that as well?

Right click on the link and save it as a file straight into your cheats folder.

Top Bottom