• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Emulation with PCSX2 - share your game configs!

I'm getting some slowdown on Persona 4, any help??

Slowdowns or low frame rate? They are two seperate problems with two seperate solutions.

If you're getting just slow down (the game is running full speed, 50 or 60fps depending on region) then you have your speed hacks set too high. Specifically VU Cycle steal should be turned either off or just on the first bar. Anything higher will cause massive slowdowns in 90% of games and graphic glitches in the other 10% or so (or both).

If it's low frame rate that is your problem... It's likely your CPU is too slow. Persona 4 isn't a super intense game, but last time I did some tests, it needed about a 3ghz dual core Phenom 2 or core2duo or faster. Tri or quad core would probably be able to get away with 2.6-2.8ghz as long as triple core mode was set in the emu.

Those models look nice but the FFX HD ones are sharper. Still nice.

FFXII upscales really, really well. It's quite astonishing.

Now....Drakengard on the other hand....*sigh*. I think maybe my rig just isn't powerful enough, because it seemed like a quick google search told me people had success with it working. But it's one of two games that I've tried that don't work (ZOE2 being the other).

Skilletor

How does Valkyrie Profile 2 look/run?

I've gotten it to run at a solid 60fps, but there are some sections where the game will look like an 8-bit cartridge all glitched out. I don't know if that's been fixed with updated versions of PCSX2.

Game looks amazing. I believe I posted some pics somewhere in this thread.

Edit:

I have more pics somewhere, but I was trying to find a good webhost for large images and can't remember which one I used.

98498vcf2q.jpg

I still laugh at his abs every time I see them. I don't know how they got approved.

Rufus

It's not as pronounced on a CRT, but I remember people saying even then that they looked like he drew them on himself.

Elios83

I've finally tried the latest version of this emulator and it's amazing, most of my old library runs greatly at 1080p.
FFXII is godly. My only disappointment is that voices in DQ8 sound slowed down and it's a bit annoying, I've tried to mess a bit with parameters but with no success. Is there someone who knows if it's possible to fix the dialogues audio in DQ8 and with which settings?

Out of interest how would the alienware x51 fare with mostly rpg games for ps2?

This Config
Intel® Core™ i7-3770 3.40GHz
16GB Ram
1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660

fertygo

Anyone know how to fix a little bit of weird line when texture filtering on? Its very useful when playing game with 2D sprite.. I read they can't completely fixed but just a bit would help.

Durante

I think I should post this somewhere, even if it's just so I don't forget when I switch to a different game.

I found the settings for playing Tales of the Abyss without any high-res rendering artifacts in the latest PCSX2:

PCSX2: 1.1.0.5594 (svn)
GSDX10: 5580
Settings:
- D3D11 renderer
- 6x native resolution
- texture filtering half-checked
- HW hacks:
+ Alpha hack (fixes some in-battle effects)
+ TC Offset X 505, TC Offset Y 505 (these are the crucial ones, fix overlay effects, and yes, that's 505, not 500)

I'm having some problems with RE4. Is the game natively 16:9? It keeps loading in what looks to be 16:9 but in a ridiculously small window.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3xai4pFxAq_YXMwdG82dlBVZG8/edit?pli=1

and this is the game in fullscreen on my computer: there is still a ridiculously large amount of black around the edges

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3xai4pFxAq_Y3JwRzJ4eTVDYVE/edit?pli=1

Anyway to fix these?

I'm trying to get the game to look similar to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_tULqJCDlA

Even when I try messing with the GS settings in bios and the emulation settings for the resolution and window size it doens't change the size of the game. Any help would be appreciated.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Damn this just makes me want to play KH and FF12 again. I could never get them to look this good and run at constant FPS though since I usually stream the gameplay on twitch at same time :/

I'm having some problems with RE4. Is the game natively 16:9? It keeps loading in what looks to be 16:9 but in a ridiculously small window.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3xai4pFxAq_YXMwdG82dlBVZG8/edit?pli=1

and this is the game in fullscreen on my computer: there is still a ridiculously large amount of black around the edges

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3xai4pFxAq_Y3JwRzJ4eTVDYVE/edit?pli=1

Anyway to fix these?

I'm trying to get the game to look similar to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_tULqJCDlA

Even when I try messing with the GS settings in bios and the emulation settings for the resolution and window size it doens't change the size of the game. Any help would be appreciated.

The game natively runs letterboxed in 4:3 and doesn't have a true 16:9 mode. Those videos use a widescreen patch if I'm not mistaken.

jediyoshi

The game natively runs letterboxed in 4:3 and doesn't have a true 16:9 mode. Those videos use a widescreen patch if I'm not mistaken.

I'm not seeing a readily available patch for it. According to this list it does support 16:9, I'm guessing through the system menu if there's no ingame option for it

To try it out, under CDVD select no disc, then under System -> Boot CDVD (full)
Then in the PS2 menu -> System Configuration, scroll till you find Screen Size and select 16:9

Buggy Loop

My config

cpu: AMD 1090T
gpu: MSI GTX 460 hawk
memory: 4GB

Is it normal that i have choppy sounds and it slows down to a snail while playing FFXII ? Im running it from the original dvd in the drive, could that cause loading slowdowns? Shitty streaming of music? Even the CG at some points had fucked up sound. Any settings i should look for that will remove this? Thanks.

Quixzlizx

There's a nice little front end for PCSX2 out there now, I don't think it's been reported here..

PCSX2Bonus:
Lets you do custom configs for each game, create .exe desktop icons to launch games, downloads cover art and screenshots

and even has a Steam style full screen 'Big Picture' mode:

Get the latest version from here:

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PCSX2Bonus-A-PCSX2-launcher-frontend

Is there any way to do custom configs without the front-end part? I want to use XBMC/Rom Collection Browser as the front-end, but I'd like a way to do per-game configs if possible.

Buggy Loop

Nobody can help me? :( Im never able to get these emulators to work right, no matter the generation or pc power. Cept pre-32bit games.

teiresias

jediyoshi, what rendering resolution are you using for these shots? Even at 4x and outputting at 1080p I still see aliasing when playing that I don't see a hint of in your shots.

Also, if I'm going to apply a widescreen patch on my next playthrough of FFXII do I leave the in-game setting on 4:3 or 16:9 or does it matter when using the patch?

jediyoshi

jediyoshi, what rendering resolution are you using for these shots? Even at 4x and outputting at 1080p I still see aliasing when playing that I don't see a hint of in your shots.

Also, if I'm going to apply a widescreen patch on my next playthrough of FFXII do I leave the in-game setting on 4:3 or 16:9 or does it matter when using the patch?

5x with my desktop resolution at 2560x1440. Square's games are mostly the only ones I can keep it at that while full speed.

You wanna set it ingame at 16:9 ^^

teiresias

5x with my desktop resolution at 2560x1440. Square's games are mostly the only ones I can keep it at that while full speed.

You wanna set it ingame at 16:9 ^^

Awww, that's cool. I've never bothered to try and setup a supersampling resolution for my PC (since I'd really only use it for PCSX2 and maybe Dolphin), and the last time I tried to create a custom resolution to do supersampling it wasn't behaving very well since I was trying to do it over HDMI over to my plasma TV. Maybe I'll try again.

FFXII does run like a dream for the most part though. Only a few characters' higher-level quickenings slow to an absolute crawl (crawl meaning like 1fps or less, haha).

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Awww, that's cool. I've never bothered to try and setup a supersampling resolution for my PC (since I'd really only use it for PCSX2 and maybe Dolphin), and the last time I tried to create a custom resolution to do supersampling it wasn't behaving very well since I was trying to do it over HDMI over to my plasma TV. Maybe I'll try again.

FFXII does run like a dream for the most part though. Only a few characters' higher-level quickenings slow to an absolute crawl (crawl meaning like 1fps or less, haha).

There's a supersamling option on the emulator itself. Just tell it to run 6 times the internal PS2 resolution and you'll get similar results.

Or, you know, a stupid custom resolution. :D

teiresias

There's a supersamling option on the emulator itself. Just tell it to run 6 times the internal PS2 resolution and you'll get similar results.

Or, you know, a stupid custom resolution. :D

Well, yeah, I tended to use 4x, but thought maybe doing further supersampling at the driver level might help as well, but probably not now that I think about it.

April is a slow month so it's time for some older games. I never played a Persona game before and this one was ranked high on the RPG greatest list so I thought I'd give it a whirl. PCSX2 confuses me sometimes though, setting the game to X6 native res the game still says "6xx by 4xx) or something at the top so is that normal? or should it change to the higher res?
Anyway a X6 I can still run the game easily at 60 fps so far so I'm happy. If anyone has suggestions to change then I'm all ears, right now I got it to look pretty good

pcsx22013040601381660.png

pcsx22013040601475837.png
pcsx22013040601494482.png

Primeau31

Idk if anyone would be able to help me with this here, but hypothetically, if I have a physical copy of SOCOM II, would I be able to use it on PCSX2 via Xlink Kai to play physical PS2 owners?

jediyoshi

Widescreen KH2

khh3oer9j.jpg

khh18sriw.jpg

khh2evrhu.jpg

PCSX2 confuses me sometimes though, setting the game to X6 native res the game still says "6xx by 4xx) or something at the top so is that normal? or should it change to the higher res?

It's normal.

Unless you're deliberately stretching the image, also try

Config -> Emulation Settings -> GS Window -> Aspect Ratio: Standard 4:3

April is a slow month so it's time for some older games. I never played a Persona game before and this one was ranked high on the RPG greatest list so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Just started this as well for the exact same reasons. My brother has a ton of the Shin Megami Tensei games and their guides, so I grabbed P4 and started last night. Not very far in yet, but digging the vibe so far. Hope it turns into more of a game, though. I've barely even controlled the main character at this point.

I saw this on the last page, so went ahead and turned that stuff on:

yeah, just use D3D10 renderer with sprite hack (to fix sprite shadows in menus) and alpha stencil hack to fix the 3D shadows in battles. it runs and looks perfectly then.

Top Bottom