• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Blu-ray Playback Issues as of Firmware 3.50 - Sunshine, anything else?

Edit:

Sunshine has been fixed!

Fox is now offering a replacement program for faulty Sunshine BDs. Simply call 1 (888) 223-4369 to claim a replacement copy. Fox will ask you a few details about your situation (address, model of Blu-ray player, etc.), and your replacement should ship about 1-2 weeks after Fox receives the discs, leading to a total time of 3-4 weeks.

We don't have any idea how this will effect in-store copies, however. If you're interested in buying the movie, you may still have to get it replaced after the fact.

Original OP:

It seems the PS3 currently has issues with playing some Blu-ray titles as of Firmware 3.50. The issues seem to relate specifically to BD-Java features, but the issues can indirectly impact the actual playback of a film.

I recently borrowed Sunshine on Blu-ray from my friend, only to discover that the PiP commentary is always enabled when watching the movie. You literally cannot watch the movie without the annoying commentary overlaying the video and playing at the same time. The option to enable/disable the feature is grayed out in both the in-movie menu and the main menu, saying something like "This feature is only available for something something Blu-ray players." Thus, you can't turn it off.

I went scrounging around on Google to hopefully find a cause and a fix for this problem, and it seems the issue arose only after the PS3's 3D enabling update, Firmware 3.50, went live.

This is from the patch notes of 3.50:

## Depending on the content, some BD-J (Blu-ray Disc™ Java*) features such as BONUSVIEW™ and BD-Live™ may not play in 3D or may not function properly on the PS3™ system

So it seems this is an issue specifically with BD-Java functionality, and it may be an issue with more titles than just Sunshine.

Upon further searching, I found a thread on the PlayStation forums detailing a user's back and forth with SCEA customer service reps over the issue.

Initially SCE reps didn't seem to give a fuck, instead making the entire issue out to be Fox's problem:

We know this is frustrating but to better inform you please know that the software profile setting for Sunshine and the software update for the console are not compatible at this time, and until the movie is developed in a way where the picture in picture option can be disabled on any firmware update, you will not be able to disable this setting for this movie. Regarding the removal of the update, please know that once you have updated to a certain firmware it cannot be removed. The update can only be updated to another firmware version.

Later on they at least said they'd tell higher-ups about the problem:

Your concerns have been heard regarding this particular issue regarding the PlayStation(R)3 computer entertainment system and the Sunshine movie. We value your input and appreciate you bringing this to our attention. Please rest assured that we will convey your feedback to Sony Computer Entertainment America's ("SCEA") appropriate management.

But, ya know, it's customer service reps. I doubt they'll do much to get the ball rolling on this.

Has anybody else encountered this issue? Anybody have any possible idea of a way to work around the issue while still using 3.50? Has anybody noticed any issues with any other movies since the update?

Skilletor

Hmm, I wonder if this caused a problem I had w/ Beauty and the Beast. When resuming the movie, it wouldn't bring up the menus. Just kept strolling through the castle with Lumiere talking. When I selected "play from beginning," the menus came up immediately.

Just tried my copy of Sunshine in my PS3 like mentioned in the OP and they are correct, some window is stuck open playing commentary from the cast while the movie is playing and there is no way to shut it off. The menu option to shut it off is greyed out and disabled. Worst part is the movie sound is lowered so you cannot hear the movie, but can instead hear the cast member talk about the kitchen set. The movie is unwatchable 5 minutes into it. Oh boy, movie bugs!

Proc

I wouldn't mind replacing my fat ps3 because it is ridiculously loud for blu ray playback. Can you guys recommend a solid standalone player? Should I just get a slim?

Proc said:
I wouldn't mind replacing my fat ps3 because it is ridiculously loud for blu ray playback. Can you guys recommend a solid standalone player? Should I just get a slim?
if you can hear your PS3 during a movie, you might want to invest in bigger speakers.

duckroll

What the fuck. I have this movie too. I watched it before and it was fine. Now I'm not sure if I even want to update the firmware when I get a new PS3 Slim this week. WTF Sony? WTF!

navanman said:
Jesus it like E3 06 all over again.

$499, thats crazy money!!
Yes, but it is so worth it. The DACs are sick in the Oppo and it has one of the best DVD upscalers in all of the Blu-Ray standalone biz! It's well worth the cash!

Raistlin

navanman said:
Jesus it like E3 06 all over again.

$499, thats crazy money!!
For what it does, not really.

DJ Lushious said:
Yes, but it is so worth it. The DACs are sick in the Oppo and it has one of the best DVD upscalers in all of the Blu-Ray standalone biz! It's well worth the cash!
To be fair, that actually can't be stated just yet.

Totally different HW.

consoul

Anyone tried Dragon's Lair HD on fw3.50?

I should try my copy when I get home.
It's built in BD-Java and seems to behave differently each time I try it on a new firmware.
It worked well for a while, but last time I tried it (on 3.40) it was flickering badly on scene changes.

Raistlin said:
For what it does, not really.

To be fair, that actually can't be stated just yet.

Totally different HW.
Ah, I just assumed that the player was the standard fare Oppo that's been boss. After clicking the link (and posting, sadly), I see it's the new model.

And, on topic, I will never give up my PS3's 3.15 firmware!

_dementia said:
If the PS3 only plays the first 2/3 of Sunshine I'd actually recommend watching it.
The entire movie is basically unwatchable now. Random picture in picture pop-up windows with the cast members talking for like 5 minutes each time during the entire length of the movie and it drowns out the sound of the movie each time they come up. Dammit!

duckroll

Eaten By A Grue said:
It is basically unwatchable now. Random picture in picture pop-up windows with the cast members talking for like 5 minutes each time during the entire length of the movie and it drowns out the sound of the movie each time they come up. Dammit!

You missed his joke. :p

my friend's PS3 was loud and somehow I fixed it by a combination of doing a system update and jostling the console around a bit.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Kinda un-related but I feel like bitching about the state of Blu-ray: Scott Pilgrim is one of the first BD-live films I'd tried... They stream new trailers every-time you turn it on, the menus are covered with tickers that advertise shit. Goddamn.

Meanwhile on Netflix you just click a button and the movie plays :p

BocoDragon said:
Kinda un-related but I feel like bitching about the state of Blu-ray: Scott Pilgrim is one of the first BD-live films I'd tried... They stream new trailers every-time you turn it on, the menus are covered with tickers that advertise shit. Goddamn.

*Hits F5 to refresh NeoGAF*

Please wait while a fresh new movie preview loads

Shambles

BocoDragon said:

Disney Blu-rays are pretty fucking brutal too. Why anyone would want to connect their BD player to the internet is beyond me, the feature is only there to do things to annoy us. It's a shame the first thing I want to do with a new blu-ray is rip it so when I want to play a movie I don't have to wade through 15-20 minutes of previews and adverts. I find BD to be one of those things that are awesome in theory but weak in how they are actually executed.

Raistlin

To those bitching about ads, etc ... don't forget DVD used to do some of the same shit with previews.

Regardless ... there's a reason why I rip everything to my server.

RyanDG

Shambles said:
Disney Blu-rays are pretty fucking brutal too. Why anyone would want to connect their BD player to the internet is beyond me, the feature is only there to do things to annoy us. It's a shame the first thing I want to do with a new blu-ray is rip it so when I want to play a movie I don't have to wade through 15-20 minutes of previews and adverts. I find BD to be one of those things that are awesome in theory but weak in how they are actually executed.

The only movies I haven't been able to skip advertisements on are rentals with my bluray player - only ones I can't skip are the FBI warnings, etc. Is this really that big of a problem with a large number of movies? I have a fairly small blu-ray collection - 25, but I can't recall any movies that require you to sit through advertisements that a simple top menu or forward doesn't fix.

Oni Jazar

This is a damn shame as Sunshine is a beautiful movie on Blu-ray.

I hope they fix this in a fw release and not require a new disc.

RyanDG

Hmm - by the way - for those interested - I have another sony branded blu-ray player at my house (not a ps3) that is 3d capable. And I tested my Sunshine disc on that and it is also not working with the PIP problem. So it's not just PS3s, it may end up being all stand alone sony blu-ray players as well. Perhaps that's a good sign for a fix maybe?

lupinko

RyanDG said:
Hmm - by the way - for those interested - I have another sony branded blu-ray player at my house (not a ps3) that is 3d capable. And I tested by Sunshine disc on that and it is also not working with the PIP problem. So it's not just PS3s, it may end up being all stand alone sony blu-ray players as well. Perhaps that's a good sign for a fix maybe?

Possibly, has anyone tried this on a non-Sony 3DBD player as well?

YagizY

DJ Lushious said:
Insert obligatory "HD-DVD is better than Blu-Ray" comment here.

At least they had standardized their format before they went under. SMH at some Blu-ray's not working on certain players. I have a lot of Blu-ray's and was going to purchase Sunshine when it was $8.99 a month ago but when I heard of this problem I didn't buy it. Hopefully, Sony will fix it, but I honestly doubt it. How long did it take them to fix the clock/text overlap problem? :lol

lupinko

YagizY said:
At least they had standardized their format before they went under. SMH at some Blu-ray's not working on certain players. I have a lot of Blu-ray's and was going to purchase Sunshine when it was $8.99 a month ago but when I heard of this problem I didn't buy it. Hopefully, Sony will fix it, but I honestly doubt it. How long did it take them to fix the clock/text overlap problem? :lol

If it's even affecting Sony standalones, they will definitely get to fixing it fast.

But then again, the PS3 is not a standalone, and so I wouldn't hold my breathe as the firmware team at SCEJ doesn't even coordinate with SCEE and SCEA, let alone Sony Electronics.

Shambles

RyanDG said:
The only movies I haven't been able to skip advertisements on are rentals with my bluray player - only ones I can't skip are the FBI warnings, etc. Is this really that big of a problem with a large number of movies? I have a fairly small blu-ray collection - 25, but I can't recall any movies that require you to sit through advertisements that a simple top menu or forward doesn't fix.

I think I'm sitting on about 40 of them or so now but the ones that stick in my head are the Disney ones from the grotesque amount of trailers before hand. I understand DVDs can have the same issue but I don't have the same memories of trying to fight the machine to actually play like some BDs. It would have been nice if the specification included booting straight to the main menu but that will never happen. Then again maybe I remember it more because I use them more often than DVDs now. Or maybe I'm just anal as even the FBI/Interpol warnings annoy me. Guess what I've already bought the damn disk, it's a little late for me to pirate it now, but thanks for annoying me with the warnings and anti-piracy adverts.

Speevy

Banned
Sony should have responded:

"Thank you for your question. From what we understand, everyone hates how this film turns out anyway. We figured the creators should be there to explain themselves."

DCharlie

Banned
I think I'm sitting on about 40 of them or so now but the ones that stick in my head are the Disney ones from the grotesque amount of trailers before hand. I understand DVDs can have the same issue but I don't have the same memories of trying to fight the machine to actually play like some BDs. It would have been nice if the specification included booting straight to the main menu but that will never happen. Then again maybe I remember it more because I use them more often than DVDs now. Or maybe I'm just anal as even the FBI/Interpol warnings annoy me. Guess what I've already bought the damn disk, it's a little late for me to pirate it now, but thanks for annoying me with the warnings and anti-piracy adverts.

we've been over this a ton of times, but it is completely asinine - people who have BOUGHT the original get punished with messages from the FBI about the punishments, about not buying pirated products from dodgy stalls, and then a load of enforced advertising (Pirates of the C. sticks out) - a lot of which cannot be skipped (not all, of course) Whilst anyone downloading a rip doesn't get to see it at all!

*old man shakes fist* it's completely dumb.

Why For?

Banned
Someone needs to make sure Dragona doesn't see this thread.

(or was it another mod that had Blu-ray region issues with their PS3?)

Oni Jazar

RyanDG said:
Hmm - by the way - for those interested - I have another sony branded blu-ray player at my house (not a ps3) that is 3d capable. And I tested my Sunshine disc on that and it is also not working with the PIP problem. So it's not just PS3s, it may end up being all stand alone sony blu-ray players as well. Perhaps that's a good sign for a fix maybe?

IIRC Sunshine was one of if not the first movie that used PIP 1.1 BD features. Not surprising that it's having issues.

YagizY said:
At least they had standardized their format before it ever shipped.
Fixed. I said it jokingly, but also with a lot of truth in my heart. I still[/] own HD-DVDs and play them when the need arises. :D

Why For?

Banned
DJ Lushious said:
Fixed. I said it jokingly, but also with a lot of truth in my heart. I still[/] own HD-DVDs and play them when the need arises. :D

So do I.

Still have my 360 add on and the Toshiba E10 or whatever it was. The 1080p one with ethernet.

Still fucking love HD DVD, but my Blu-ray collection has gone past it now by about 20 movies.

Nemesis_

My Blu-Ray Region A version of American Psycho just suddenly stopped working a few months ago.....the same thing? >_>

Raistlin

YagizY said:
At least they had standardized their format before they went under.
That's pretty easy to do when there's only one company involved in the decisions.

Of course that's also why it went under.

Triz

Not sure if my drive is going, but I was unable to watch date night a month ago and Jonah hex tonight. Other games and movies are working fine ( watched Scott pillgrim last night.). Both were netflix rentals.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That really sucks. I absolutely love Sunshine, so it's disappointing to hear that I can no longer watch it. :( They better find a way to fix it.

Always thought something like this could happen, though. With Blu-ray players being updated constantly, it was only a matter of time before an older feature is made incompatible. It's nice that features can be added to the Blu-ray spec, but it's a shame that something like this can occur. At least it seems to be limited in scope and not impacting a wide variety of films.

BocoDragon said:

I kind of like the Live trailers, though, and the ticker can be disabled.

Netflix is great for some things, but the quality of the audio and video is nowhere NEAR as good as Blu-ray.

Top Bottom