• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware 1.80 Announced (PSX/PS2/DVD Upscaling, DNLA streaming, BLU-RAY 720p!!!!)

teiresias

tanod said:
Nothing can render in 1080p or 720p unless it was originally created to do so, including the Xbox 360.

Using the Xbox360 as any metric as to what a true next-gen console should be able to do is misguided :D . . . I kid, because I love, but emulators natively render games at higher resolutions as a matter of course, so you're not correct in any shape or form.

In any case, I'll be excited about the upscaling of games once it goes from upscaling to native higher resolution rendering as that would give an actual jump in quality.

The home network integration is awesome - assuming I can get the damn thing working right, we all know how that goes - and the DVD upscaling may mean my Oppo can finally be sold on Ebay (depending on the quality of course).

However, lack of proper 720p Blu-Ray output with this update is dissapointing given the other scaling functionality being introduced, of course my projector scales the 1080i feed from the PS3 Blu-Ray movies nicely down to 720p so I don't have an issue with it actually.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
GCQuinton said:
Yeah, that's huge. My PSP just got WAAYYY more valuable. Can't wait to test out the media stuff tomorrow. One slight disappointment though from what I saw is no mention of upscaling PS3 titles. Compared to everything else we're getting, I'll let it slide :)

But you can't test it tomorrow. Later this month (which is only like a week anyways).

chriskzoo

Banned
First person to actually explain DLNA and what it will do for us gets a cookie. Since pretty much everything on my PS3 (except for trailers) came originally from my PC, there's no need to go the other way.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
SpokkX said:
Sigh why not just use samba?

Anyway I wonder if there is some DLNA3-compatible server software for PC:s?

Well, I posted a link to DLNA server software just above, TwonkyMedia. There may be more out there. I am guessing DLNA3 is backwards compatible with previous versions, so your DLNA1 or DLNA2 server will work with your DLNA3 player.

rager said:
Now, does this mean that I can play PS3 games over the internet on my psp?

Hehe, no. I'm pretty sure this will be what Remote Play is at the moment, but over the internet. I.e. media browsing and playback.

koam

FormulaOne said:
For those that questioned the presence of a hardware scaler in the PS3, well, you've just been kicked in the balls.

What makes you say it's hardware and not software?

P.S What's DLNA?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Valkyr Junkie said:
If they somehow in the future can implement PS3 wake-on-LAN with PSP Remote Play I will shit my pants and then proceed to purchase a PSP.

That's a good point actually. Maybe it'll be addressed too?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
tanod said:
Isn't that still scaling, with just the addition of different filters? Do the games have special and specific emulation code written for them?
No it's not just scaling. The games are internally re-rendered in high resolution. Same thing with PS1 emulators like ePSXe (that one you can try easily, it doesn't require that high end of a PC), and no it's not game-specific.

It's definitely possible to do, but I very much doubt that's what this update will bring. More likely it's "just" upscaling+filters to smooth out image a bit.

chriskzoo said:
First person to actually explain DLNA and what it will do for us gets a cookie. Since pretty much everything on my PS3 (except for trailers) came originally from my PC, there's no need to go the other way.

DLNA is a media centre tech which enables you to control your content through a DLNA server, in this case the PS3.

womfalcs3

Banned
Sony and Mozilla need to come together and bring Firefox to the PS3 OS... and remove this plug-ins-less travesty they call a browser.

Marconelly said:
No it's not just scaling. The games are internally re-rendered in high resolution. Same thing with PS1 emulators like ePSXe (that one you can try easily, it doesn't require that high end of a PC), and no it's not game-specific.

It's definitely possible to do, but I very much doubt that's what this update will bring. More likely it's "just" upscaling+filters to smooth out image a bit.
Well, one would hope that eventually true native 1080p rendering of PSX/PS2 games will be possible on the PS3, right?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DOBERMAN INC said:
Wait, so do i need any hardware for this or do i just buy this software and im good to go?

It's just software. Someone was even demoing a DLNA media server solution running under PS3 Linux, so clearly it's just software.

Some googling suggests there are several solutions out there from different companies like Intervideo, Cyberlink etc. I guess it'll be a matter of finding the best one, and the one that best fits with whatever capabilities the PS3 supports.

monkeylite said:
DLNA is a media centre tech which enables you to control your content through a DLNA server, in this case the PS3.

The PS3 isn't a server here, as far as I can tell. It's a player that can access media from other DLNA servers, like your PC (with the appropriate software).

tanod

when is my burrito
womfalcs3 said:
Sony and Mozilla need to come together and bring Firefox to the PS3 OS... and remove this plug-ins-less travesty they call a browser.

Abso-****ing-lutely. How hard can that be?

gofreak said:
It's just software. Someone was even demoing a DLNA media server solution running under PS3 Linux, so clearly it's just software.

Some googling suggests there are several solutions out there from different companies like Intervideo, Cyberlink etc. I guess it'll be a matter of finding the best one, and the one that best fits with whatever capabilities the PS3 supports.

ah great, thanks.

guess i'll check a few of them when the updates available

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
monkeylite said:
Using a DNLA laptop to access content on a DNLA PS3 through the local network.

The release doesn't say it has server capability. It sounds purely like player capability. i.e. it will be your PS3 that will be accessing media from other servers, like your PC.

Yixian

Banned
BuddyC said:
I've been begging for custom soundtracks since day one. Maybe someday.

It boggles the mind we haven't seen it yet.

Wallpapers I can understand - Sony want's to make the XMB background iconic of the PS3. But music? I can't think of a single reason to deny it us.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
gofreak said:

The PS3 isn't a server here, as far as I can tell. It's a player that can access media from other DLNA servers, like your PC (with the appropriate software).

Well hopefully Sony is releasing some kinda of program that does that but I will try that TwonkyVision

Kinan

Starting to get into it slowly. It seems you can do it without hardware. What you need is UPnP software player and DLNA media server installed on your PC.

UPnP software players listed on that twonkyvision site :

* Windows Media Player 11 (Windows Vista)
* Cidero Java Control Point
* Nero ShowTime
* on2share plugin for the Windows Media Players
* Rudeo Control
* Sony's Vaio Media Player version 3.1.01.07260

And they have that media server for 40$ for all windows system starting from 95. It also has 30days free trial, so its plenty of time to be sure it will work.

Back to reading.

SpokkX

gofreak said:
Well, I posted a link to DLNA server software just above, TwonkyMedia. There may be more out there. I am guessing DLNA3 is backwards compatible with previous versions, so your DLNA1 or DLNA2 server will work with your DLNA3 player.

hmm

http://www.twonkyvision.com/Products/TwonkyMedia/index.html

Video: MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG2-TS, MPEG4, AVI, WMV, VOB, DivX, 3GP, VDR, ASF, MPE, DVR-MS, Xvid, M1V, M4V

How does DLNA work? does the client (PS3) have to decode the stream? Or does the DLNA-server convert in realtime to a format the client (PS3) can show?

Dali

badcrumble said:
Well, one would hope that eventually true native 1080p rendering of PSX/PS2 games will be possible on the PS3, right?

I think it is possible now, but whether Sony deems it worthy of the effort is something else altogether.

Shompola

Banned
FYI Windows Media Center is also DLNA compatible, however I am not sure if you can stream from Media Center to PS3 that way.

spwolf

ok, my day just got a lot better... thank you SONY.

now bouc - can you please take care and show us differences once firmware is out? Thank you dude!

tanod

when is my burrito
As long as the PS2, PS1 and DVDs also will upscale to 720p and 1080i, I'll be happy. Remote play, world-wide FTMFW.

Twix

I don’t wanna crash this party..but what about the in-game XMB feature ? is it coming with this update ??

Top Bottom