• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware 1.80 Announced (PSX/PS2/DVD Upscaling, DNLA streaming, BLU-RAY 720p!!!!)

anddo0

womfalcs3 said:
Options > Library tab > Configure Sharing > Enable it

You'll get an icon on your system tray, so just enable the unknown device when that pops up.

In a little bit you'll see the Windows Media icon appear under each media section of the XMB. Restart the PS3, and you'll be able to see the files in the playlists.

sounds so simple, but I've done all of that (been trying since last night) and no luck.. Its not a firewall or router problem either.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
gofreak said:
BTW, patsu on B3D reports that Remote Play allows you to access content on DLNA devices on your PSP via your PS3. So you can browse your PC media on your PSP just as on PS3 etc.

Hopefully that also works over the internet.

AWESOME That is what I was hoping for!

snorggy

maybe there needs to be a thread dedicated to the DNLA streaming?? maybe in offtopic? just so people don't have to keep asking the same questions because this thread is too massive to read through... i would do it myself but i am a junior and have no thread starting power.

besada

Banned
Very nice update. I can report that 720p Blu-Ray works like a charm. I tested 1080i with Corpse Bride last night and it looked significantly better than House of Flying Daggers, so apparently my biggest problem was with the shitty transfer. That said, 720p still looks smoother to me. Buttery smooth and gorgeous. Thank you, Sony.

I got it connected to my Windows Media Center and it not only played many of my videos, but in some cases played them more accurately than my 360. I have a host of videos that are 4:3 but the 360 smooshes them up in a strange way. The PS3 plays them perfectly.

Haven't tried the PS2 upscaling yet, but I have Black sitting next to the PS3 so that's next.

Yixian

Banned
EyeConnect isn't free and I don't even know where you can buy it. Is there anything freeware for Mac that can stream to PS3?

Just installed TwonkyMedia on my Macbook Pro, and I'm really confused--there's no app for it, no control panel, no nothing--all it seems to have done is installed a couple of files in the Startupitems folder of my Library (some other files were supposed to go in a "usr" directory, but I can't find that one anywhere on the computer). How the heck do I configure the options/preferences/etc. if there's no application or interface of any kind? Other people have posted about this in the Twonky forums, w/o getting any response.

Lain

I was hoping to be able to at least copy an .MP4 video encode i did through TwonkyMedia server, but no go for me (the .MPG source instead got copied right away, along with making its own nice animated thumbnail before or after the copy).
Maybe I'm setting something wrong. Tried with Windows Media Connect but the .MP4 doesn't even show up on the PS3 with that.
Anyone else unable to copy .MP4s over from these servers?

andrewjnyc said:
Just installed TwonkyMedia on my Macbook Pro, and I'm really confused--there's no app for it, no control panel, no nothing--all it seems to have done is installed a couple of files in the Startupitems folder of my Library (some other files were supposed to go in a "usr" directory, but I can't find that one anywhere on the computer). How the heck do I configure the options/preferences/etc. if there's no application or interface of any kind? Other people have posted about this in the Twonky forums, w/o getting any response.

Under windows, you configure it through a web based GUI, if it is any help to find your way to configure it under Mac.

womfalcs3

Banned
After Options is selected,

s1gs3.jpg

Library tab

s2ip9.jpg

Configure Sharing

s3be3.jpg

Check "Share my Media"... and press all the OKs.

I don't want to go through it again on my computer :lol , but...

You'll get an icon on the system tray.... bring up the dialogue box and allow the "uknown device". You'll see the Windows Media icons in the XMB (I don't have a camera, sorry :D ) under each media section.

The PS3 OS needs to be restarted for it to recognize the files in the playlists.

jonhuz

andrewjnyc said:

edit :http://theminiblog.co.uk/archives/2005/12/29/how-to-streaming-music-and-pictures-to-a-360-from-a-mac/ same steps to get it working.

Banned
typhonsentra said:
Any shots of PS1/PS2 games at 1080P?
FFXII in 480p:

1080p:

1080p filtered:

Note: while filtering looks good in photos, it looks terrible when actually playing a game. The aliasing / flickering is still there in the games, it's just got weird softened edges now.

Upscaling does virtually nothing to improve the image quality if your TV does a good job scaling things itself.

KurowaSan

i've been able to stream a xvid file with TVersity but as i've been also playing with the streaming options and devices, i'm trying to get it back to work :lol

SpokkX

besada said:
Very nice update. I can report that 720p Blu-Ray works like a charm. I tested 1080i with Corpse Bride last night and it looked significantly better than House of Flying Daggers, so apparently my biggest problem was with the shitty transfer. That said, 720p still looks smoother to me. Buttery smooth and gorgeous. Thank you, Sony.

I got it connected to my Windows Media Center and it not only played many of my videos, but in some cases played them more accurately than my 360. I have a host of videos that are 4:3 but the 360 smooshes them up in a strange way. The PS3 plays them perfectly.

Haven't tried the PS2 upscaling yet, but I have Black sitting next to the PS3 so that's next.

connected to Windows Media Center?! hmm this is possible how?

I have Vista running WMC to my X360..

womfalcs3 said:
After Options is selected,

Library tab

Configure Sharing

Check "Share my Media"... and press all the OKs.

I don't want to go through it again on my computer :lol , but...

You'll get an icon on the system tray.... bring up the dialogue box and allow the "uknown device". You'll see the Windows Media icons in the XMB (I don't have a camera, sorry :D ) under each media section.

The PS3 OS needs to be restarted for it to recognize the files in the playlists.

Thanks for doing this all, but is there something I need to do on my PS3 first? it isnt showing up in the media sharing window

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
gofreak said:
BTW, patsu on B3D reports that Remote Play allows you to access content on DLNA devices on your PSP via your PS3. So you can browse your PC media on your PSP just as on PS3 etc.

Hopefully that also works over the internet.

Shane demoed this a few weeks back (bastard), and talked about it on One Up Yours. And yes it'll work over wifi as far as I understand! Can't remember which episode of 1UP Yours it was. :)

Linkzg said:
Thanks for doing this all, but is there something I need to do on my PS3 first? it isnt showing up in the media sharing window
once you have it set up your PC should find the PS3 pretty quickly and pop up with a message telling you an unknown media device has been found.

mine showed up almost instantly and i was able to play my music and audio over the network just as i can on my 360. didn't have time for any hardcore testing but given that you can use it remotely with the PSP (when that gets it's new firmware) that's definately something for me to get excited about.

womfalcs3

Banned
Linkzg said:

No. I did it all on the computer and the PS3 picked it up automatically. The restart after the steps above were taken is all I had to do with the console.

Dot50Cal

Banned
anddo0 said:
sounds so simple, but I've done all of that (been trying since last night) and no luck.. Its not a firewall or router problem either.

Scan for media servers after you do that, I did and it worked fine after that.

anddo0

Dot50Cal said:
Scan for media servers after you do that, I did and it worked fine after that.

Its funny, cause I have my sisters laptop over here and it works fine. I can't get it to work on mine however.

I have no clue why it won't work.. I'll fool around with the security settings etc... but I doubt that will work.

Kinan

If this is not fake, it seems we have a winner for DLNA software. Nero MediaHome seems to allow an online transcoding of AVIs to PS3. Gonna try this at evening when I get to home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76pqhVDhiCg

EDIT: The author put a quick guide on ps3forums:

Turn your PS3 on and login, and leave it on your XMB

Run a file in Nero Showtime to unblock the firewall that pops up and ALLOW.

Run Nero MediaHome

On the left are a set of Icons.

Heres a quick setup:

SHARED DIRECTORIES > Click ADD SHARE and browse to a single shared directory for now, as it takes time to add the details, so dont go adding gazillions of media files for now.

OPTIONS: I left them at default for now, but they are self explanatory. Automatically start media home when pc is switched on is a good one to tick up, but leave it off for now till you get it going.

NETWORK: Click the box for your ethernet card on your PC. Leave port number and network name at default for now

DEVICES: Click UPnP/1.0 line and click ALLOW ACCESS box

TRANSCODING: Leave on auto detect as it will talk to the ps3 and see what it can and cant play and come up with a solutionafter a few seconds.

TV: Set up your tv card here

STATUS: Click this ICON and you will be able to see whats going on

then click START SERVER at the bottom, and you wait a few moments. Go back to PS3 and it should show the Nero Media Home Icon. Browse as normal for your video files.

At first if you have loads of files in your shared directories it can casue the ps3 playback to come back out to the XMB. Just give Media Home some time to update the directory listings, then it will be silky smooth.

Ive tested this n a decent PC for SD avi files only so far, and they work fine. You might have issues if you have an old pc, as the trancoding can take up resources.

Theman2k

Can someone help me please ?
I have downloaded the upgrade and changed my settings on the PS3.
I use i 720P+1080i HDTV + HDMI cable and i still don't know why it's not upscaled.
When i put a DVD inside i still see it as 1080i like before i updated, as for God Of War 2 it runs on 720*576P.

How can i fix this problem ?

Dot50Cal

Banned
Theman2k said:
Can someone help me please ?
I have downloaded the upgrade and changed my settings on the PS3.
I use i 720P+1080i HDTV + HDMI cable and i still don't know why it's not upscaled.
When i put a DVD inside i still see it as 1080i like before i updated, as for God Of War 2 it runs on 720*576P.

How can i fix this problem ?

Are you using HDMI? If its a protected DVD then it wont upscale over anything but HDMI. It says so right when you activate it.

plagiarize said:
once you have it set up your PC should find the PS3 pretty quickly and pop up with a message telling you an unknown media device has been found.

mine showed up almost instantly and i was able to play my music and audio over the network just as i can on my 360. didn't have time for any hardcore testing but given that you can use it remotely with the PSP (when that gets it's new firmware) that's definately something for me to get excited about.

womfalcs3 said:
No. I did it all on the computer and the PS3 picked it up automatically. The restart after the steps above were taken is all I had to do with the console.

are you guys on Vista? I dont get why its not working for me.

I have WMP11, I restarted my computer just incase, I turned on sharing, but its not picking up anything from the ps3

Pardon me for not going through the 28 pages to see if this has been answered already :p

Has the compatibility been decreased on NA machines with this update?

Dot50Cal

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
Has the compatibility been decreased on NA machines with this update?

Not that I know of, Why the heck would it? I doubt they can disable the hardware thats in initial US units.

Theman, did you try checking only 1080i and then starting GoW2?

Lain

:lol
To think that installing WMP11 I would be able to play stream .MP4s so easily to my PS3 I wouldn't have fiddled all this time with those other programs.

Dot50Cal said:
Not that I know of, Why the heck would it? I doubt they can disable the hardware thats in initial US units.

Theman, did you try checking only 1080i and then starting GoW2?

Well, its just that for it to be upscaled and filtered it should mean its running through software emulation now, and that could cause a compatibility decrease.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hmm..that youtube video shows a XVid clip amongst his media. He doesn't play it in the video, but it's not showing up as unsupported..

1000034tk0.jpg

Pretty neat that nero home seems to send thumbnails to your PS3 also.

Theman2k

Well i unticked 1080i from the display settings and the dvd ran on 720P, but there is no difference at all in picture quality.

Oni Jazar

Awesome upgrade!

There was a new visual setting for HDMI I think it was Deep Color (I'm at work now), turn it on and now the XMB doesn't look like washed out crap! I hope this improves the games. I was just about to comment how PS3 games look a bit washed out even in print pictures.

Also I noticed right away that my GF's computer was recognized for media sharing. Took me a moment to figure out how to set it up on my PC through WMP11 and it works great! PLAYLISTS FOR ALL! Poor video support but at least we now have easy access to our networked hard drives!

720p for Blu-ray gave me NO difference what so ever on my Sharp LC32D4U. I did a few back and forth comparisons on Pirates 1 and the included trailers and I 1080i and 720p look identical to me. Not that I ever had a problem with the image quality - BDs have always looked awesome on my set.

Upscaling for PS2 I really didn't notice a difference at all. A little bummed but as long as I have backwards compatability I'm happy.

jonabbey

Metalmurphy said:
Well, its just that for it to be upscaled and filtered it should mean its running through software emulation now, and that could cause a compatibility decrease.

There's no reason for the filtering to impact the compatibility at all. Both the European and American PS3s have GS hardware on board. The filtering and scaling is done after the GS renders a frame.

Whether or not the Emotion Engine CPU is on board has nothing to do with the graphics rendering in either case.

Remy

Mac folks, I emailed NullRiver (they of PSPWare and Connect360) and asked if they were thinking of doing a ConnectPS3.

Just got this very succinct response:

were looking into it

BELIEVE.

Top Bottom