• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware 2.41 to be released this week

Woo-Fu said:
Now that you can get XMB from within a game, you can receive and act upon a crossgame invite from somebody playing Burnout Paradise, and possibly GTA4.

In other words, everything needed for crossgame invites has been provided by Sony, it is up to developers to make use of it.

IMHO, you could probably create a thread just to discuss the pros and cons of Sony's "open" approach with PSN as compared to Microsoft's "closed" approach with Live. I use the terms in quotes relatively.

It will ultimately boil down to policy, not technology. Sounds like Sony is mandating trophy support for games at some point in the future, they'll need to do the same thing for crossgame invites and custom soundtracks if you want them in every game.

I wouldn't hold your breath for crossgame chat, given the memory footprint they're dealing with.
Exactly, and that's why I explained it.

I mean for invites, before if you got an XMB invite (like in Tekken 5: DR), you just couldn't check it. Now you can, so you technically got an invite from another game, just a matter of devs have to utilize it if they want it to be that way. I dunno if it takes you to a particular game (I never tried).

I sometimes get a little tired of some expecting PS3 to have the exact same features as 360. Oh course the two will be mostly similar, but the two will always have some features different. Like one new feature on PS3 I really like (no other console can do it) is being able to switch demos, PSN games, etc. in-game. I can also eject discs with the controller (I don't believe the 360 can, but I could be wrong). Those are two features I really like for sure.

Regardless, I'm ecstatic with in-game XMB. Finally being able to check messages in-game is a huge plus, especially when playing games with people. I only have interests in custom music for racers and extreme sports. If those devs implement the feature, I'm happy (why do I need custom music in RB, an RPG, etc.).
pr0cs said:
I won't be rushing out to install it, after the first debacle.
Actually, those who downloaded early didn't have the problems last time. Those who downloaded late had them I believe (or the next day).

261hmdt.jpg

Unregistered007 said:
I got the firmware asap it was available and I have no issues, I have used my ps3 every single day, what issues are you having ?

Like I said, it's been crashing. it also locks up in the xmb with that little "busy" icon in the top right. all the problems have happened in the home xmb, not during a game.

ZeroTolerance

Sho Nuff said:
8wdt80.pg

BANG BANG!
BRICKIN UR BOXES WITH NANOTECH

I laughed so loud when I saw this and remembered the guy from the MGS thread that said this was the dummest thing he had ever seen because
Ocelot raised his hand and people were dying.

pr0cs

BoilersFan23 said:
Actually, those who downloaded early didn't have the problems last time. Those who downloaded late had them I believe (or the next day).
There is no way I'll be rushing out to install it for at least a few days. I've already had enough problems with one console I sure don't want to have to mess with another.

Calcaneus

If you poor souls with borked consoles weren't such wusses in the first place, your PS3s wouldn't have crumbled under the weight of all the awesome.

I, however, am not so weak. This update does nothing for me.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Sho Nuff said:
8wdt80.jpg

BANG BANG!
OK, so we can post spoilers without spoiler tags now? Great.

Sho Nuff said:
8wdt80.jpg

BANG BANG!
That was such an awkward cutscene.

So... Can't wait until inevitably a couple of people's PS3s get bricked, as happens with all firmware updates, and news sites start picking up the story, preferably with a nice negative spin.

h3ro

Seiken said:
OK, so we can post spoilers without spoiler tags now? Great.

I think its only a spoiler if you've already played the game :p Those who haven't played it just see Liquid dancing with Frogs shooting in front of him.

Okay. I just got back from vacation. I left July 2nd but downloaded 2.4 beforehand then turned my PS3 off. I'm afraid to turn the system on. What do I do?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Mac the KNife said:
Okay. I just got back from vacation. I left July 2nd but downloaded 2.4 beforehand then turned my PS3 off. I'm afraid to turn the system on. What do I do?

Wait for 2.41? You never know. You have 0,3% chances to brick your system.

I'd do if I were you. I was one of the braves that plugged the JPN PS3 into the wall without a step-down converter just to check if the internal power thingy was really universal. Luckly, it was :D

BoilersFan23 said:
As for cross-game chat, it will most likely come eventually, but not right away. Did you ever hear how many RAM the PS3 OS was using initially?? 96MB around launch. Many multi-platform games which didn't want to utilize the cell early on were stuck with 160MB of RAM to work with, which is why many early 360 ports on PS3 really suffered. Ever since launch, Sony has been trying to reduce the footprint of the OS with every firmware upgrade. While trying to reduce they footprint, they'd occasionally add features.

I've always understood that Sony reserved 96MB for future updates and features, and that they reserved more than would be needed just to be safe. How much of that 96MB was actually being used it's hard to say.

So for example they may have reserved 10MB for custom XMB themes. But after they implement it, they only need 2MB, so that's 8MB they can release to developers.

I'm more curious if in-game XMB was ever planned from the get-go. It sounds like they had to significantly re-write the PS3 OS to get it to work. It's possible that a good amount of memory has now been released to devs with 2.40.

Home seems to be Sony's answer to XBL. We know Home will have game invites and voice chat.

My co-workers 60Gb would reboot loading GTA4 after 2.40 update, although it seemed to fix itself hours later.

So I think there is some issues with 2.40 but it only affects a small % of users.

tha_con

Banned
Mac the KNife said:

From what I understand, it was the initial download that screwed up peoples system, not the install.

MrTroubleMaker

Gold Member
TTP said:
Wait for 2.41? You never know. You have 0,3% chances to brick your system.

I'd do if I were you. I was one of the braves that plugged the JPN PS3 into the wall without a step-down converter just to check if the internal power thingy was really universal. Luckly, it was :D

:O brave man :)

reakt

Here's my Viz-style top-tip to those of you without firmware 2.40 installed on your PS3 in all of its awesomeness.

As soon as we have a release date and time for 2.41 then if you want it - stay up late, wake up early if necessary but make sure you download it right after the launch time. That way you won't miss out twice in a row in the unlikely event that Sony have to pull it again! :D

Kinan

What is this cross-game invite business? You need to change a disk anyway, so how is that different from the situation when someone send me a message "lets play PES" while I'm playing MGS4? Couple less clicks? Thats all you are bitching about?

tha_con

Banned
Kinan said:
What is this cross-game invite business? You need to change a disk anyway, so how is that different from the situation when someone send me a message "lets play PES" while I'm playing MGS4? Couple less clicks? Thats all you are bitching about?

In a nutshell.

Moray

Kinan said:

True cross-game invites are faster--the game will skip menu screens and server browsers and such to take you straight to your friend's game. Waiting for a friend to join your game in a lobby filled with other people can be an annoyingly long process, and sometimes difficult if the time between rounds is short and the game doesn't allow you to join games in progress.

So basically yea, it's a convenience thing.

Moray said:
True cross-game invites are faster--the game will skip menu screens and server browsers and such to take you straight to your friend's game. Waiting for a friend to join your game in a lobby filled with other people can be an annoyingly long process, and sometimes difficult if the time between rounds is short and the game doesn't allow you to join games in progress.

So basically yea, it's a convenience thing.
Many games (well, ones that I play) allow you to reserve slots for players, to avoid others joining in.

Let's get this clear people.

Aren't game invites expressed via PSN text messages, that allow you to join through them?

Doesn't this give you cross game messaging?

Doesn't 1+1=2?

I mean... yeah.. not every game has invites, they were finished before this firmware update happened. What exactly were you expecting to happen? Sony to go to every studio that every made a PS3 game and demand that they all stop their production cycles and focus on rewriting code for games that have already been out so they use the same uniformed invite system?

Forget about it. The fact that I can communicate with people means I can organize a game with them any time- any place. The fact that this is out means FUTURE games will have a unified system to work with.

HUELEN10

BobTheFork said:
What about those of us who DL the firmWare and whored all the trophies dead before daylight?
What about it? Why would anything that has to do with your trophies change?

Tiduz

Eurogaime
BobTheFork said:
What about those of us who DL the firmWare and whored all the trophies dead before daylight?

If sony takes away my level 2 i will rape em. I worked hard for that.

diddlyD

Banned
its gonna be sad when some people brick their ps3's going from 2.40 > 2.41. you know its gonna happen to someone.

i skipped the last 2 minor firmware updates, waiting for 2.4 just to lower chances of things going wrong. just my luck that now 2.41 comes out a week later. i swear its starting to feel like all i do with my ps3 is update the firmware.

soldat7

Can't wait for this update. It better fix my freezing issues.

And a question, can you listen to music while accessing the browser? I'd love to try...

Das-J

Law of the West
soldat7 said:
And a question, can you listen to music while accessing the browser? I'd love to try...

Sure can, I was rocking out to Radiohead while browsing Facebook yesterday! :D

DoomGyver

soldat7 said:
Can't wait for this update. It better fix my freezing issues.

that has been around for ever. 1.8? earlier?

soldat7

Full Recovery said:
that has been around for ever. 1.8? earlier?

Well I'm a new PS3 owner and 2.40 won't let me access the network without freezing. Just wondering. It seemed like the music would stop once I tried doing something else with the browser or the Store.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
TTP said:
In-game XMB is essential per se as it actually makes messaging meaningful and allows to check and compare trophies. Imagine having to quit the game every time you wanted to do that.

Um, unless you have short term memory, we really don't have to imagine it.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
chespace said:
Um, unless you have short term memory, we really don't have to imagine it.
I was referring to the trophies. Imagine Sony adding them but not the ingame XMB.

JB1981

god the xmb has come so far since that video - - there was a time when the OS was really that bare bones? Jesus christ ... i can't even remember it.

Top Bottom