• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware 4.10 - WEB BROWSER IMPROVEMENTS JEFF_RIGBY REDEEMED

railGUN

Banned
Just for reference, basic IE9 on Windows 7 scores a 141/475 with 5 bonus points.

So the PS3 browser is pretty close to a normal PC browser now.
IE9 is the best IE but nowhere close to a decent browser. Chrome scores 373 + 13, Firefox is 332 + 9

Am I the only one who just sees this as another bizarre example of Sony's incompetency?

Yeah, so 5 years later they make the PS3 browser good. But with all the resources they dedicated to this, maybe they could have made trophies sync without having to manually do it. Maybe they could have added the ability to put start your save files from a USB drive, like you can on the 360. Maybe they could have allowed the ability to delete trophy listings for games you have 0 trophies for. Maybe they could have allowed the option to change your username like you can on the 360.

Instead they chose to make the web browser (which probably about 5% of PS3 owners actually use), better.

Bravo. :|

False alarm. Netflix is not broken. Apparently the newer update of Netflix (2.06) doesn't use save data utility and game data utility or storage purposes. I redownloaded it and they have gone. It works now.

Interface is a bit different too (with a bigger splash screen/section stating what's new before you browse other movies).

Massa

Depends on how you look at it.

jeff_rigby "The PS3 browser will be updated."
TRUTH

Jeff_rigby "The PS3 browser will be updated with all new technology and webkit standards!"
um No.

Hum, no. The PS3 is now using WebKit.

Am I the only one who just sees this as another bizarre example of Sony's incompetency?

Yeah, so 5 years later they make the PS3 browser good. But with all the resources they dedicated to this, maybe they could have made trophies sync without having to manually do it. Maybe they could have added the ability to put start your save files from a USB drive, like you can on the 360. Maybe they could have allowed the ability to delete trophy listings for games you have 0 trophies for. Maybe they could have allowed the option to change your username like you can on the 360.

Instead they chose to make the web browser (which probably about 5% of PS3 owners actually use), better.

Are you feeling alright?

Agent X

It seems like you're being rather harsh here, to label this as "incompetency".

Sure, it would be great if they improved all of those other features you mentioned. There are lots of other things about the PS3 that could be improved as well. At the same time, though, they've actually gone and made the browser reasonably usable now--which I'd say is a step in the right direction for sure.

I'm grateful for whatever improvements they want to offer.

dwebo

8842.8ms on sunspider - as comparison, ipad2 scores 1776.3ms.

though, pre-update I couldn't even get it to run, so that's an infinite % improvement!

I always believed in you Jeff. Even when others doubted you, I read through your hijacked topic and understood very little of anything you talked about. But I believed, just as NeoGAF has taught me over the years.

boosh5

Banned
Anyone have a direct link? This one's taking forever.

Here you go.

Although, I couldn't get the previous firmware (before 4.10) to give me the option to install it from removable storage. It was going straight to the web, so I ended up downloading this twice. Your mileage may vary.

Seems to give the option for me now, post-update. Not sure what was up.

androvsky

So far, Crunchyroll works. Dunno if it did before. The browser identifies itself as being webkit, and I'm playing with an html5 sketch program and it works. Google docs refuses to try to run.

edit:
Apologies if old, but I checked the about section under system settings on the XMB. The browser now has it's own section, and it's webkit/cairo.

Wow.. a vast improvement for me. The sites I used to frequent that formerly had many issues on the PS3 browser are working silky smooth. A very welcome improvement.

It seems like you're being rather harsh here, to label this as "incompetency".

Sure, it would be great if they improved all of those other features you mentioned. There are lots of other things about the PS3 that could be improved as well. At the same time, though, they've actually gone and made the browser reasonably usable now--which I'd say is a step in the right direction for sure.

I'm grateful for whatever improvements they want to offer.

No, I really do not feel it's harsh to call it incompetent.

They're 5+ years into the PS3, and they still haven't implemented the features I just mentioned, when most of them were standard on the 360 from day one. Decisions like that literally cost them money. I know this because I personally choose to not buy games on my PS3 for some of those reasons I mentioned. It's not that hard for someone at Sony, who's actually in touch with their customers base, to know that the web browser should be very low on the priority list.

When the PS3 first launched the browser was somewhat useful, but today, when most people have a smart phone, or an iPad, or a netbook that sits next to them as they use their PS3, it's just silly. We're talking 5 years post launch. A fundamental thing like allowing you to start save files and load them from a USB drive should be a no brainer, and yet for Sony it's not. Making the web browser takes priority. Making the picture viewer better is a priority. The list goes on and on.

There is a reason Sony got smacked down this gen, and small things like the ones I'm pointing out here are symptoms of their bigger problem.

Massa

So far, Crunchyroll works. Dunno if it did before. The browser identifies itself as being webkit, and I'm playing with an html5 sketch program and it works. Google docs refuses to try to run.

edit:
Apologies if old, but I checked the about section under system settings on the XMB. The browser now has it's own section, and it's webkit/cairo.

The source code is up already too.

They're 5+ years into the PS3, and they still haven't implemented the features I just mentioned, when most of them were standard on the 360 from day one. Decisions like that literally cost them money. I know this because I personally choose to not buy games on my PS3 for some of those reasons I mentioned. It's not that hard for someone at Sony, who's actually in touch with their customers base, to know that the web browser should be very low on the priority list.

When the PS3 first launched the browser was somewhat useful, but today, when most people have a smart phone, or an iPad, or a netbook that sits next to them as they use their PS3, it's just silly. We're talking 5 years post launch. A fundamental thing like allowing you to start save files and load them from a USB drive should be a no brainer, and yet for Sony it's not. Making the web browser takes priority. Making the picture viewer better is a priority. The list goes on and on.

They're using the same web browser as the Vita on the PS3. It's easier for them to maintain a single web browser between the two devices.

androvsky

androvsky

The source code is up already too.

They're using the same web browser as the Vita on the PS3. It's easier for them to maintain a single web browser between the two devices than two.

And it's a lot easier for them to make websites for people to visit. Imagine the poor souls that had to make the playstation blog work on the old browser.

Emwitus

edit:
OKAY GAF, serious question, does Jeff Rigby work at Sony??? Lol wow. This should be on the op.AMAZING.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Now update the Vita browser please!

If Jeff Rigby is to be believed, that's coming... but given how long this took (3 years) the PSP2 browser update won't happen until 2016 at the latest.

Emwitus said:
does Jeff Rigby work at Sony???

No. He just went batshit mental over this and nitpicked little "clues" about it coming "soon," and "soon" being three years later. Hence, everyone mocking him because we didn't think it would ever come.

His tag needs to be "the little believer that could... update..." or something.

They're 5+ years into the PS3, and they still haven't implemented the features I just mentioned, when most of them were standard on the 360 from day one.

360 has a web browser? I love PSN. I can get to Netflix and Hulu without having to pay anybody but Netflix and Hulu a gd dime. Fuck Microsoft and their requiring gold for Netflix/Hulu/Facebook/Twitter/being abused by 13 year olds.

androvsky

OKAY GAF, serious question, does Jeff Rigby work at Sony??? Lol wow. This should be on the op.AMAZING.
Sony publicly posted the source code for a webkit browser for the PS3 a year ago. There never was any mystery. :)

Only things jeff_ribgy was speculating on is what other PS3 applications aside from the browser those opensource libraries were going to be used with.

DO YOU WANT TO RUN THE PLUGIN?

they still didn't fix that. But hey, it's much smoother now at least.

OMG. :O I didn't think this would ever happen. I'm going to download the update and mess around with it later. Hearing that YouTube works now makes me happy.

Top Bottom