• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware 4.10 - WEB BROWSER IMPROVEMENTS JEFF_RIGBY REDEEMED

Anteater

How so? A shit browser becomes a slightly less shit browser?

I mean the people that doubted Jeff_Rigby, not the quality of the update, I think he says there would be an update this spring at the latest or something, and that people were making fun of him in that speculation thread

Cartman86

Banned
I mean the people that doubted Jeff_Rigby, not the quality of the update, I think he says there would be an update this spring at the latest or something, and that people were making fun of him in that speculation thread

Didn't he said lots of shit? A broken clock is right twice a day.

Jeff_rigby redeemed. fuck yeah.

fuck-yeah_2.jpg

And I thought he was crazy. Jeff, I'm sorry mang!!!

herod

uh lol. If you look at the 'other browsers' tab on html5test.com you see that Sony TVs score higher than this.

Spwn

So this browser patch was in QA for the last couple of years? Glad it's here so there's actually point in using the PS3 browser.

Yes 4.10 is out and it appears that webkit is being used. The desktop (by pressing the PS key) can be brought up and pictures can be XMB previewed...haven't tried anything else but it appears like the XMB is always loaded for the browser, this might indicate uses for XMB apps with the browser (communication between XMB apps).

No WebGL or HTML5 features like <video> yet....minimal GTK API which is to be expected as it's not finished yet.

No new chat, contact list, activity log/calender, no integration between applications...this is not the upgrade guys, it's just a patch to get the web browser functional enough for something Sony has planned.

That it now correctly displays web pages means it's most likely a minimal webkit port to the existing netfront browser front end, they could have done this anytime in the last two years...if webkit2 for security then anytime since Jan with GTKwebkit2 1.7, essentially this is probably the same unfinished webkit2 that the vita is using with the same lack of features.

Remember it's not just me that has provided information, androvsky too and to this point he is as correct as I am and if it goes no further than this, I was wrong on integration between applications and a browser desktop and he was correct.

In my opinion this is just a small part of what's coming, we might see a few more little updates but by Spring we should get the major update. Remember GTKwebkt2 API is not finished yet, Gstreamer 1.0 is not considered complete it's still called Gstreamer .11/1.0 which means it's somewhere between the unstable .11 and the finished 1.0 (Gstreamer is to be used for the HTML5 <video>). If you look at the Gnome browser Epiphany, it's supposed to have a completed GTKwebkit2 API integration before March 28.

androvsky just provided a link to confirm it's webkit in BY3D http://www.scei.co.jp/ps3-license/index.html

patsu in BY3D has confirmed:
[Speechless]

Folks. Check your PS3. Firmware Update 4.10. I have an inkling the WebKit web browser is finally here.
ACID3 score is 99/100 (Same score as Vita). Yes I just ran the test. ^_^

It was 27/100 before.

And JavaScript hasn't crashed yet. T_T

EDIT: I'll wait for someone else to confirm. Too busy right now. But sweet mother of God, it has been 6+ years in the waiting -- if true.

Google result page doesn't run out of memory now too.
I'd also like to point out that Sony considers this a .1 minor update <grin>.

Tantalus

Neo Member
HOLY SHIT

I lol'd in the middle of class. I've been following the jeff_rigby thread for so long now, long before I even registered at GAF, so this is pretty hilarious.

I really hope the browser doesn't crash as much now, that was one of my main issues with it along with Google filling up the memory somehow everytime I searched for something.

mclem

Love that it recognizes I'm on a PS3!

Well, to be fair, your PS3 did *tell* it that it was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_agent

In particular, the Hypertext Transfer Protocol identifies the client software originating the request, using a "User-Agent" header, even when the client is not operated by a user.

All the test would do is cross-reference the User-Agent with a list of browsers to find what to output in that spot (Although the fact that it's up-to-date with the new user agent and version number already *is* pretty impressive - but I guess it asks whenever it encounters an unknown one)

Withnail

Hopefully now they've got it on a more modern foundation (Webkit) they can roll out further updates in sync with the Vita browser.

Some of the attacks on jeff_rigby were pretty unpleasant and I'm glad to see that crow is now being served.

By the way the auto setting clock is also a nice little update for me, it used to annoy me how much the PS3 clock would drift.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
(Quick comparison: 3DS browser was 120+no bonus, Wii is 91+0 bonus, Vita is 66+no bonus, iPhone 4S is 296+9 bonus.)

Further comparison points:

Chromium 16.0.912.77 (Linux) - 373 and 13 bonus points
Chrome Beta (Galaxy Nexus) - 343 and 10 bonus points
Firefox 10.00 (Linux) - 332 and 9 bonus points
Opera 11.60 (Linux) - 329 and 9 bonus points
Android 4.0.2 (Galaxy Nexus) - 256 and 3 bonus points
Android 2.3.x (HTC Desire/CyanogenMod 7) - 182 and 1 bonus point

dr_rus

Firefox 11 beta 1 (Windows 7 x64) - 335 and 9 bonus points
Chrome 16 (Windows 7 x64) - 374 and 13 bonus points
IE9 (Windows 7 x64) - 141 and 5 bonus points

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I ask it here, are firmwares region free or every console from a different region has its own firmware? Because I don't know what region my PS3 is, and I need to download the new firmware from the web cause it's not connected to the internet. What I do!?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Yes 4.10 is out and it appears that webkit is being used. The desktop (by pressing the PS key) can be brought up and pictures can be XMB previewed...haven't tried anything else but it appears like the XMB is always loaded for the browser, this might indicate uses for XMB apps with the browser (communication between XMB apps).

No WebGL or HTML5 features like <video> yet....minimal GTK API which is to be expected as it's not finished yet.

No new chat, contact list, activity log/calender, no integration between applications...this is not the upgrade guys, it's just a patch to get the web browser functional enough for something Sony has planned.

That it now correctly displays web pages means it's most likely a minimal webkit port to the existing netfront browser front end, they could have done this anytime in the last two years...if webkit2 for security then anytime since Jan with GTKwebkit2 1.7, essentially this is probably the same unfinished webkit2 that the vita is using with the same lack of features.

Remember it's not just me that has provided information, androvsky too and to this point he is as correct as I am and if it goes no further than this, I was wrong on integration between applications and a browser desktop and he was correct.

In my opinion this is just a small part of what's coming, we might see a few more little updates but by Spring we should get the major update. Remember GTKwebkt2 API is not finished yet, Gstreamer 1.0 is not considered complete it's still called Gstreamer .11/1.0 which means it's somewhere between the unstable .11 and the finished 1.0 (Gstreamer is to be used for the HTML5 <video>). If you look at the Gnome browser Epiphany, it's supposed to have a completed GTKwebkit2 API integration before March 28.

androvsky just provided a link to confirm it's webkit in BY3D http://www.scei.co.jp/ps3-license/index.html

patsu in BY3D has confirmed: I'd also like to point out that Sony considers this a .1 minor update <grin>.
* Bows *

Not bitter at all. Surprised it actually happened. Netfront was terrible and since Sony wasn't updating Flash it broke Youtube to where the PS3 browser was pretty much useless.

Rigby kept bumping an old thread with "soon" that got old real fast. That's all.
You got Rigby'ed admit it.

STG

I ask it here, are firmwares region free or every console from a different region has its own firmware? Because I don't know what region my PS3 is, and I need to download the new firmware from the web cause it's not connected to the internet. What I do!?

they are all the same

Liamario

Banned
I have to say that I always believed in Jeff. Even when some people believed he was certified insane, I stood by him.

Of course, my account wasn't active and I was unable to express my support for him- we'll never know the truth unfortunately.

It's actually worse in some regards lol

Scrolling really isn't smooth. Browsing GAF for instance is a jerky ride.

Also I watched The Tester episode online through the US PS site last night pre-update. Now it won't let me :/

Still it's faster now.

Kinan

Better comparison is

Internet Explorer 8.0 - 41 and 0 bonus point.

So the PS3 browsing is now superior to how most of the PC browsing was done until 2011.

:)

Firefox 11 beta 1 (Windows 7 x64) - 335 and 9 bonus points
Chrome 16 (Windows 7 x64) - 374 and 13 bonus points
IE9 (Windows 7 x64) - 141 and 5 bonus points

Android 2.1.x - 151 and no bonus points.

Drencrom

It's glorious to be alive to witness this day, have been lurking that thread long before I became a member (lol junior).

Also his tag should be: "JEFF 3:16" or "I want to BELIEVE" with a link to 'his' thread.

Cartman86

Banned
Better comparison is

Internet Explorer 8.0 - 41 and 0 bonus point.

So the PS3 browsing is now superior to how most of the PC browsing was done until 2011.

:)

Oh god just shows how useless that is at anything other than HTML5 standards (no duh). The biggest issue I have with the browser is how laggy and slow it is.

Kinan

Oh god just shows how useless that is at anything other than HTML5 standards (no duh). The biggest issue I have with the browser is how laggy and slow it is.

Well, its also much better than IE8 in Acid3, so that confirms better general web-standards support.

And the new PS3 browser is now as fast (or should I say as slow) as IE8 in Sunspider javascript benchmark, so responsiveness should be much closer to the desktop experience after the update.

cant wait to test it personally later tonight.

Top Bottom