• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware 4.10 - WEB BROWSER IMPROVEMENTS JEFF_RIGBY REDEEMED

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
YouTube won't go higher than 240p. Very lame.

You're running on 256meg RAM. I seriously doubt going above 360/480 would be wise on the PS3 browser since HTML5 requires a video codec/application to run through the browser as well IIRC.

In any case, the best thing about this update is the store running somewhat faster now. Let's see how long that lasts, but being able to see things quickly instead of scrolling down and waiting for things to appear is nice.

Emwitus

If Jeff Rigby is to be believed, that's coming... but given how long this took (3 years) the PSP2 browser update won't happen until 2016 at the latest.

No. He just went batshit mental over this and nitpicked little "clues" about it coming "soon," and "soon" being three years later. Hence, everyone mocking him because we didn't think it would ever come.

His tag needs to be "the little believer that could... update..." or something.
Rigby speculAted for 3 years? I thought it was after the tweet?

If Jeff Rigby is to be believed, that's coming... but given how long this took (3 years) the PSP2 browser update won't happen until 2016 at the latest.

No. He just went batshit mental over this and nitpicked little "clues" about it coming "soon," and "soon" being three years later. Hence, everyone mocking him because we didn't think it would ever come.

His tag needs to be "the little believer that could... update..." or something.

You sound a bit perturbed. One might even classify it as bitter.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You sound a bit perturbed. One might even classify it as bitter.

Not bitter at all. Surprised it actually happened. Netfront was terrible and since Sony wasn't updating Flash it broke Youtube to where the PS3 browser was pretty much useless.

Rigby kept bumping an old thread with "soon" that got old real fast. That's all.

androvsky

It's available here.

Thanks, but all I see there are the licenses, no source code.

Rigby speculAted for 3 years? I thought it was after the tweet?
The timeline is a bit complicated since rigby started out speculating on the Beyond3D forums, but I don't think it's been 3 years even including that. His oldest post on there about HTML5 is from September 2010.

Emwitus

Not bitter at all. Surprised it actually happened. Netfront was terrible and since Sony wasn't updating Flash it broke Youtube to where the PS3 browser was pretty much useless.

Rigby kept bumping an old thread with "soon" that got old real fast. That's all.

This is a post by Rigby in January, in the memories thread.

"It should be obvious by now that a browser is coming so jokes about my finding too subtle clues should be falling flat for those that have been reading the thread. After the Charles Ying Video Unlimited post.....everyone should have realized my position was supported and claims a browser is coming supported while claims a browser is not coming were wild speculation.

This year, actually first quarter 2012 should see this resolved. Already 2 of my Five OBVIOUS predictions have come true and little speculations like Zooming in on video are confirmed in Playmemories Studio. I'm surprised no one commented on that ability."

For what it's worth, this is a Vita on 1.60 (also out today)...

2012-02-07-192730.jpg

So the vita browser got worse? Haha

Also, I'm surprised the 3DS and Wii are that far ahead of Vita and PS3's browser. Not surprised about iphone though, how is the android browser test?

Emwitus

And I don't know if its just me, but recently before the update when I tried to search anythin on Google by ps3 browser would always hang then give me the not enough memory to display this page stuff. It was practically unusable. Is this just me or is my ps3 dying?

B8MEn.png

Grabbed a picture of YouTube actually running decently for once on the PS3 browser without being incredibly slow as hell and not having to use XL.

Ardenyal

HOLY SHIT!!!!! Twitch.tv works on the new browser... This changes EVERYTHING!

Edit: Well, the chat doesnt load but streams are viewable at least.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
I'm glad they updated the browser, but the reason I'm smiling is Jeff. GAF's own Phoenix Wright.

Cartman86

Banned
So the vita browser got worse? Haha

Also, I'm surprised the 3DS and Wii are that far ahead of Vita and PS3's browser. Not surprised about iphone though, how is the android browser test?

Standard Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0.3) browser
Screenshot_2012-02-07-22-47-30.png

Newly Released Chrome for Android
Screenshot_2012-02-07-22-48-26.png

As far as YouTube is concerned, the PS3 just needs to get a dedicated YouTube app that plays the native H.264 files instead of being concerned with Flash.

GeoramA

Google works good again, finally. Was tired of using that default internet search from the XMB.

No browser crashes yet, either. They're usually frequent following new firmware.

Anteater

He's got a lot more interesting theories other than just the web browser, like the push for 4k video (not 3D rendering.. but video) on the PS3. Other things like that as well. He's a very informed guy.

Yea but if not for the browser I don't think he'd keep posting those stuff, I've never read them though

BHK3

Banned
I used to use the browser every single day as my main browser for nearly 2 years before I got my laptop. I still use it from time to time as old habits are hard to break.

This update did very very little, sure some things are faster but it's still a horrible browser for anything that isn't posting on forums.

Yes youtube works now but it still displays videos in 240p and the browser still freezes. Youtube used to work but then the browser got worse for some reason and it stayed that way for about a year and a half. Essintally the browser is as good as it was back in 2009 but a little bit faster. Facebook was a useless feature that got added in and Sony said that they made the website on the browser workable, but nothing would pop up and it flat out wouldn't work when you tried, making Sony look dumb as usual. Now facebook works but the layout is beyond fucked.

I don't understand why everyone is happy for the browser, Gaf used to load after like 5 seconds, now it's 4.5 seconds. Very little changed people.

Top Bottom