• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware Update 3.21 of preventing piracy by removing Linux.

frontieruk

Plays response
play.com said:
Dear Peter

Thank you for your email.

The PlayStation 3 was sold with all the advertised functionality of the time. If Sony have since released a firmware update that has reduced this functionality in some way we can certainly appreciate your disappointment, however this change is beyond our reasonable influence or control, and as such we can only suggest you address any enquiries directly to them.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you may have been caused in this matter, and thank you for your understanding and valued custom.

Kind Regards,

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This thing is just causing problems. A number of friends of mine which I often play multiplayer games with have all decided NOT to upgrade to this firmware out of protest and are actively seeking ways to pirate software and/or work around this problem. One of them has actually purchased upwards of 50 games for PS3 in the last 8 months that he has owned it. This was someone who previously pirated an entire library of Wii games, so this pretty much triggered a return to pirate mentality.

So, the interest in PS3 amongst friends has dropped as a result of this and multiplayer gaming opportunities have been reduced significantly. Just great. :\

max-pain

Then stop this stupid protest and update?

How many people whined 3 years ago when Valve removed Steam's support for Windows 98/Me and non-SSE processors?

J Tourettes said:
No. Bitched to Game and received a brush-off. Yet to compose my second email.

frontieruk said:
Plays response

More proof that Amazon customer service is unparalleled. They've given me and people I know various refunds/compensations with no questions asked and without asking to send back the affected product. Not related to PS3 though, just vouching for their amazing customer service.

spwolf said:
did dragona confirm if 3.30 fixes that region problem with BD's?

I read in the LIFE BBC thread in OT that it does NOT fix the issue... wait, you're saying Dragona updated??

Massa

max-pain said:

How many people whined 3 years ago when Valve removed Steam's support for Windows 98/Me and non-SSE processors?

Mind your own PS3. Thanks.

max-pain said:

so you want dark10x to update his friend's PS3's so they'll play online with him?

don't you think that if he did that, they'd stop being friends with him?

Metalmurphy said:
No, and neither did yours... Tell your your brother to stop screwing around in your PS3.
that's the worst thing about the updates eh... someone else can do it without your permission!

Tiduz

Eurogaime
sounds like the guy was just looking for an excuse to go pirating again to me. sure if you dont like it i can see your point, but how does that make pirating a solution :lol

jorma

is now taking requests
Tiduz said:
sounds like the guy was just looking for an excuse to go pirating again to me. sure if you dont like it i can see your point, but how does that make pirating a solution :lol

who said it was a solution?

The Faceless Master said:
that's the worst thing about the updates eh... someone else can do it without your permission!

Shit, we should request a firmware update for Admin and Limited user privileges... oh wait

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I just updated. I never used Other OS, but I was waiting to see if geohot and his CFW would produce anything interesting. MLB TV is too much for me to pass up.

I still haven't updated, and don't see myself doing it anytime soon. I've been mostly using my PS3 as a media player lately, and I never play online and don't care about trophies. The only thing I miss now is downloading demos, but it's a good excuse to play my backlog.

simtmb

Well, SSFIV is nearly here (AUS), so screw this, I'm updating even though i wanted to keep the feature, there's no real point anymore.

Burai

shitonmychest57
dark10x said:
This thing is just causing problems. A number of friends of mine which I often play multiplayer games with have all decided NOT to upgrade to this firmware out of protest and are actively seeking ways to pirate software and/or work around this problem. One of them has actually purchased upwards of 50 games for PS3 in the last 8 months that he has owned it. This was someone who previously pirated an entire library of Wii games, so this pretty much triggered a return to pirate mentality.

So, the interest in PS3 amongst friends has dropped as a result of this and multiplayer gaming opportunities have been reduced significantly. Just great. :\

What exactly were they doing with OtherOS that's so important that they'll forgo playing all of those games that they've invested money in? And how will playing pirate games bring back PSN functionality?

There's no logic to what your friends are doing. It's like me getting pissed off at having to pay council tax and becoming homeless until I can figure out a way to live under the sea.

well, for me, the only games i played on the PSN in months have been BFBC, BF1943 and BFBC2.. oh, and that LP2 demo... and i own all of those on 360 as well, so until a PS3 exclusive online game that i *really want* to play comes along (no, not SOCOM 4), i can hold out, because even if a single player game comes out, i can wait, there's no hurry to play it right away.

if i had a spare 250GB or larger HDD laying around so i could recover the space used in the Linux partition, i might have actually upgraded... maybe not, but maybe... but it's like... they threw me under a bus. and not only did they do that, they also didn't even have a way for me to recover the space used for the feature they removed!

hirokazu

Burai said:
What exactly were they doing with OtherOS that's so important that they'll forgo playing all of those games that they've invested money in? And how will playing pirate games bring back PSN functionality?

There's no logic to what your friends are doing. It's like me getting pissed off at having to pay council tax and becoming homeless until I can figure out a way to live under the sea.
Your logic is flawed, once you figure out how to live under the sea, they'll make you buy the undersea land you'll be occupying and then pay land tax on that land.

if i had a spare 250GB or larger HDD laying around so i could recover the space used in the Linux partition, i might have actually upgraded... maybe not, but maybe... but it's like... they threw me under a bus. and not only did they do that, they also didn't even have a way for me to recover the space used for the feature they removed!

Whoa, I didn't know that was the case. That's ridiculous. How much space does it take?

missile

Burai said:
What exactly were they doing with OtherOS that's so important that they'll forgo playing all of those games that they've invested money in? ...
That's not for you to decide. Everyone has a different need. And it was
shown multiple times how the OtherOS feature is useful for those using it.

Naked Snake said:
Whoa, I didn't know that was the case. That's ridiculous. How much space does it take?
The OtherOS by itself does not take any additional user space to be usable.
But if you need to run a Linux OS on top of it, then it may be a good idea to
partition your HDD by the GameOS, which isn't necessary to say at least,
because you can likewise install and run Linux from a usb-drive without
touching the HDD at all. But if the HDD was once formatted, then fw. 3.21+
does not merge the OtherOS partition with GameOS partition. One can only
circumvent this problem by doing a full format of the whole HDD under
the GameOS.

Raist

Banned
kamspy said:
I didn't think so many gaffers had other os installed.

What are the best things about it?

It's more likely that the vast majority of the people are not happy about this because they had a feature taken away from them, even if they didn't/barely/never planned to use it. Just a principle thing.
And also being worried that if they start doing this with Linux support, they could remove anything else.

Burai

shitonmychest57
missile said:
That's not for you to decide. Everyone has a different need. And it was
shown multiple times how the OtherOS feature is useful for those using it.

I'm not judging at all. I'm just curious as to exactly what people are doing with OtherOS to justify writing off hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of investment in games and hardware in order to keep doing it as was the case with dark10x's friend.

I get it's a neat feature, but what are people doing with it? What am I missing here?

I'm worried I'm missing out on something brilliant if it's worth this much to people.

missile

Burai said:
I'm not judging at all.
But you say things which lead one to the conclusion that the OtherOS isn't worth
anything and as such can be removed. For example, you said that Sony never
supported the OtherOS feature and that its users were all on their own from
the beginning, which is wrong. Sony has supported the OtherOS till they decided
to drop it from the phat models. Sony's internal developers have maintained
and improved PS3Linux multiple times over the years. I've written various post
about this.

Burai said:
I'm just curious as to exactly what people are doing with OtherOS to justify writing off hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of investment in games and hardware in order to keep doing it as was the case with dark10x's friend.

I get it's a neat feature, but what are people doing with it? What am I missing here? ...
It depends on your perspective, on your eduction, on your imagination, whatever.
If you are just a gamer / consumer knowing nothing about technical stuff and if
you have no interest in computer science and similar things, then the OtherOS
feature my not apply do you. But even then you can use it to play emulator
games!

Most people think that OtherOS = PS3Linux, which is wrong. There is a lot of
things one can do even without having Linux installed. Without Linux the PS3
can simply be considered as an enhanced embedded PowerPC developer board.
from which you can learn a lot of interesting things from. Building a toolchain for
embedded development and developing applications for a naked environment
is of great interest for a lot of students of engineering. Hence, one can approach
the OtherOS from a pure embedded perspective. And this is just one possibility out
of hundreds.

If you wanna know for what I'm using the OtherOS feature for, then please read
one of my former post over here. Likewise, this is just one perspective!

And I can tell you that I won't sell my OtherOS-featured PS3, not for even for
$2000. I would pay $1000 for a PS3 that has the OtherOS and the RSX enabled.
But please, don't ask me what the RSX is worth for. It's so trivial.

hyp

well, for me, the only games i played on the PSN in months have been BFBC, BF1943 and BFBC2.. oh, and that LP2 demo... and i own all of those on 360 as well, so until a PS3 exclusive online game that i *really want* to play comes along (no, not SOCOM 4), i can hold out, because even if a single player game comes out, i can wait, there's no hurry to play it right away.

my sentiments exactly. i am hatin sony for the fact i can't retrieve my partition space unless i format. so they took away a feature and are making it a pain in the ass for me. thanks sony, assholes.

missile

Zoe said:
Not necessarily. You can either allocate 10GB of the HDD to the GameOS or to the
OtherOS and leave the rest to the other OS, respectively. There are no more option
available to partition the HDD with respect to the Game- and OtherOS. So for
example; if you have an 500GB HDD, then you can allocated 10GB for the GameOS
and leave 490GB for the OtherOS, and vice versa. Within Linux you can of course
change the OtherOS partition to your likely.

@brotkasten: If you ask me, it makes no sense to release a CFW as of now. Anyway,
geohot is not the only one working on these things. Some people are trying to build
a custom firmware that allows to install a debug firmware on a retail version. Further,
from the lv2 dump it is known that the PS3 service mode just depends in a single bit
on an usb-dongle. In service mode you can downgrade the firmware to whatever
version you want. People are working in this. Fingers crossed.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
missile said:
I would pay $1000 for a PS3 that has the OtherOS and the RSX enabled.
You realize you can buy a PS3 Debug for around that money which actually runs unsigned code?

Burai said:
I'm just curious as to exactly what people are doing with OtherOS to justify writing off hundreds if not thousands of dollars
I'd bet most don't have OtherOS installed at all(and it's an easy bet given Linux community on PS3 has been practically dead for years now) - by now this is a rally for cause, not issue of personal stake.
And Geohots of the world are just putting a carrot on top of it so a fair few are doing it for purely selfish reasons, I've no doubt.

obaidr

Banned
missile said:
Not necessarily. You can either allocate 10GB of the HDD to the GameOS or to the
OtherOS and leave the rest to the other OS, respectively. There are no more option

@brotkasten: If you ask me, it makes no sense to release a CFW as of now. Anyway,
geohot is not the only one working on these things. Some people are trying to build
a custom firmware that allows to install a debug firmware on a retail version. Further,
from the lv2 dump it is known that the PS3 service mode just depends in a single bit
on an usb-dongle. In service mode you can downgrade the firmware to whatever
version you want. People are working in this. Fingers crossed.

Fingerscrossed for sure. I really hope i can use the otherOS on the Slim soon. I would really love to use Megabox on my slim again:

bild-1252596525-742.jpg

missile

Fafalada said:
You realize you can buy a PS3 Debug for around that money which actually runs unsigned code?
Yep, for about $600 one can buy a TEST PS3. But my emphasis was put on the
RSX. The TEST can run the OtherOS, but has the RSX disabled. And the TOOL
does not even have the OtherOS feature.

obaidr said:
Fingerscrossed for sure. I really hope i can use the otherOS on the Slim soon. I would really love to use Megabox on my slim again:
Yeah, Megabox. Just another cool feature most people don't know about.

Zoe

missile said:

Yes, but anybody who actually uses their PS3 for gaming in addition to Linux would have been foolish to use the 10GB for the GameOS.

missile

Zoe said:
Yes, but anybody who actually uses their PS3 for gaming in addition to Linux would have been foolish to use the 10GB for the GameOS.
Doesn't hold true.

But granted, most would use (have used) the 10GB option.

missile

Fafalada said:
... And Geohots of the world are just putting a carrot on top of it so a fair few are doing it for purely selfish reasons, I've no doubt.
Well, being selfish is sometimes the biggest motivator of all, these days.
Speaking of geohot one has to consider that he is a very young person, and
being selfish at his age isn't the worst thing at all, not saying that he
is selfish. He does what he thinks is the best considering his boundary
conditions. Being classified as being selfish from the perspective of another
person is sometimes only the act of projecting one's mind onto the person in
question, neglecting the boundary conditions of said person.

Personally, I don't even think that being selfish is an intrinsic
characteristic of a human being the way we think about it. It's just an
artificially created property to attack people who have made a decision
against one's very own view. So who is selfish? (<- not directed towards
you, Fafalada).

Schrade

missile said:
Well, being selfish is sometimes the biggest motivator of all, these days.
Speaking of geohot one has to consider that he is a very young person, and
being selfish at his age isn't the worst thing at all, not saying that he
is selfish. He does what he thinks is the best considering his boundary
conditions. Being classified as being selfish from the perspective of another
person is sometimes only the act of projecting one's mind onto the person in
question, neglecting the boundary conditions of said person.

Personally, I don't even think that being selfish is an intrinsic
characteristic of a human being the way we think about it. It's just an
artificially created property to attack people who have made a decision
against one's very own view. So who is selfish? (<- not directed towards
you, Fafalada).
missile, can you please stop hitting the carriage return/enter key please? Wait until the end of a paragraph to do it.

hirokazu

Kagari said:
:lol Good luck to them.
To Sony, or the persons suing? It's an attempted Class action, and their filing seems to make a good argument, includig quotes from Sony marketing hyperbole about how much of a big deal OtherOS is, how they the PS3 is a computer and OtherOS proves it, an how they wouldn't remove it from capable systems in firmware updates.

Unfortunately, the lawsuit only seeks payment for damages, rather than forcing Sony to reinstate the feature in all future firmware, so at best, Sony would be forced to pay our a sun of money but they'd still get to continue blocking OtherOS.

Top Bottom