• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 HDD Upgrade Questions

Dynamic3

In preparation for switching to the PS4, I want to upgrade my PS3 Slim's HDD so I can download all of my digital content. Is this a good replacement option?

Also, what are the dimensions of the 120GB HDD I will be removing? I figure I'll throw it in an external USB enclosure. On that note, is it worth going with USB 3.0 for the enclosure?

Thanks.

I would go with 750gb, belive me 500gb is not that big. I have 320gb and its already full.

I would go with even bigger but i heard that 1tb and above can't fit PS3 Slim. Maybe i read wrong...

wizzbang

Banned
PS3s stock disk is a regular 2.5" laptop drive. I don't believe it's a particularly thicker than usual model.

I just dropped a 256gb Plextor M5S (nice and cheap) SSD in my PS3, GT5 load tiimes have finally gone from "utterly fucking unacceptable, fuck this game" to "well hey, I just realised I don't entirely hate this game"

By far the biggest impact (game wise) for adding an SSD
The 120gb disk, by todays standards is old and small - any old ebay 10$ USB enclosure would suit it, USB3 would be quicker of course but it's not exactly a high performance disk either.

Dynamic3

PS3s stock disk is a regular 2.5" laptop drive. I don't believe it's a particularly thicker than usual model.

I just dropped a 256gb Plextor M5S (nice and cheap) SSD in my PS3, GT5 load tiimes have finally gone from "utterly fucking unacceptable, fuck this game" to "well hey, I just realised I don't entirely hate this game"

The 120gb disk, by todays standards is old and small - any old ebay 10$ USB enclosure would suit it, USB3 would be quicker of course but it's not exactly a high performance disk either.

Not sure I want to go full SSD as I want at least 500GB, and an SSD of that size isn't economical. The drive I posted is a hybrid "SSHD".

wizzbang

Banned
Not sure I want to go full SSD as I want at least 500GB, and an SSD of that size isn't economical. The drive I posted is a hybrid "SSHD".

Never been a hybrid fan, all of one, or the other.
480gb Sandisks fairly cheap on newegg if you like the SSD option (no moving parts to die)
Do consider ensuring latest F/W before installing of course.

Tizoc

OP, first make sure you delete ALL game data from your PS3 with it's old HDD.
Then delete all games you've downloaded from PSN, you can opt to keep games you dled/got via game sharing.

Once you've done that, consider backing up your save data on a seperate drive/USB stick.

Finally do the back up, replace HDDs, and enjoy your big extra space~

Dynamic3

OP, first make sure you delete ALL game data from your PS3 with it's old HDD.
Then delete all games you've downloaded from PSN, you can opt to keep games you dled/got via game sharing.

Once you've done that, consider backing up your save data on a seperate drive/USB stick.

Finally do the back up, replace HDDs, and enjoy your big extra space~

Do I need to deactivate my system or anything like that?

I'm not going to back up my OG drive as I'm just going to wipe it anyway, and the only thing I have on the drive atm is Dark Arisen. All my saves are in the cloud as well.

What PS3 do you have ? The Phat can't read SATA-III (6.0Gb/s); so for it, you have to buy a drive that can be forced into SATA-II with a jumper. That's what I had to do on my 60GB launch model. However, I have heard that the slim (and possibly the super slim) accept drives with SATA-III 6.0Gb/s, so you don't have to use jumpers at all.

That being said, people have been clamoring how the Seagate Momentus XT was the best drive to put into the PS3. I don't know if it's true, but it definitely looks like a solid drive.

Check it out here on NCIX.

Oh, and before you format and take out your current drive, do not forget to synchronize your trophies with Sony's servers, or you could lose some of them.

edit:

I'm not going to back up my OG drive as I'm just going to wipe it anyway, and the only thing I have on the drive atm is Dark Arisen. All my saves are in the cloud as well.

You do not need to deactivate your system, as you're only changing its hard drive and not the system itself.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Don't be surprised if the backup utility does not work for you. It kept giving me errors every time so I had to download all my games and DLC again on the new HDD.

Also, I wouldn't recommend a SSD for PS3. The few seconds of faster loading are simply not worth it, economically speaking.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Nope that's not what he's recommending. The Sony backup and restore process is painful (but hey at least THEY have one!!) The less data you have to move the better.

If you have a PS+ subscription as long as you verified all of your saves were cloud backed up, you could almost just drop the new drive in naked. Besides that... PS2 and PSOne saves? Both of which can go to USB stick. I think that might be it.

glaurung

Has anyone stuffed a HDD of more than 1TB into a PS3?

I recall the older systems had a restriction of only allowing up to 500GB disks.

Does anyone have first hand experience?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

I recall the older systems had a restriction of only allowing up to 500GB disks.

Current journal FS really doesn't have any problems. At this point it's simply a tight fit issue.

Sickbean

For anyone considering smallish SSD versus big HDD - I've got 2 PS3 super slims: one with a 60GB corsair SSD and one 500GB HDD.

There must be a bottleneck somewhere else as the SSD system isn't really that much faster (not compared to the difference it makes to a PC anyway).

Go for a big traditional drive.

Erasus

Before saying anything about performance read these!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-hard-drive-upgrade-guide
7200RPM makes it a tiny bit faster

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-can-ssd-upgrades-boost-ps3-performance
SSD is not worth it.
Well maybe if you only play GT5

I swapped my 320GB to a 750GB.

I bought this
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004I9J5OG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

7200RPM and more cache makes the system a bit faster, but if its space you need get the 1TB. That was not avilable when I got mine.

Also its not 1TB its 900GB something due to how its calculated and the PS3 OS is going to reserve a certain ammount of space.
For excample my 750GB drive had 600-ishGB space left when booting up for the first time.

1. Delete all game/install data, you can install it again later
2. Run backup utility, took a few hours for me, saves almost everything, even Users and PSN logins
3. Insert new HDD, just find guides on youtube for the type of PS3 you have. It can be a bit tricky I thought and Im used to hardware
4. Get a USB stick with the latest FW update. Folders PS3 -> UPDATE
http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps3/pc_update/index.htm
5. Plug in USB, turn on system, follow instructions
6. Run backuputility
7. Install the games again

Enjoy!

pottuvoi

Banned

I have 750GB HDD my ps3 and there's forums where people use 2TB drives.
I'm pretty sure that you can use as large HDD or raid pack as you like, the size limit is ridiculously large. (Ps3 apparently uses something like UFS2 file system, so it is in Zettabytes..)

Erasus

I'm still repping my OG 60gb... but PSN+ freebies are starting to cause a space issue.

Ouch, I dont have PSN+ and I did not keep my 60GB for long. I want everything installed and ready to go. No reason not to upgrade now that prices are good.

If you want a faster drive get the Seagate Momentus XT or the WD Black. (750GB versions)
If you want more space get the Seagate Spinpoint 1TB, seems to be a good drive.
These should all be 2.5" 9mm drives so they fit.

Its so nice to go into your donwload list and just hit download on every game you bought!

reektann

Ouch, I dont have PSN+ and I did not keep my 60GB for long. I want everything installed and ready to go. No reason not to upgrade now that prices are good.

If you want a faster drive get the Seagate Momentus XT or the WD Black. (750GB versions)
If you want more space get the Seagate Spinpoint 1TB, seems to be a good drive.
These should all be 2.5" 9mm drives so they fit.

Its so nice to go into your donwload list and just hit download on every game you bought!

I've been looking about recently at what drives might be good..especially after I bought Ni No Kuni then realised I couldn't even unpack it once it had downloaded :| I'll check those out.

Bauer91

I'm still repping my OG 60gb... but PSN+ freebies are starting to cause a space issue.

Same. I don't really need 20 games at once but it sucks that I can't have two or three of the bigger ones at the same time due to the fact that you need double the space for installs.

And yeah, Ni No Kuni specifically will most likely need to wait for a bigger HDD.

jimbor

Banned

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-can-ssd-upgrades-boost-ps3-performance
SSD is not worth it.

I bought this

7200RPM and more cache makes the system a bit faster, but if its space you need get the 1TB. That was not avilable when I got mine.

Also its not 1TB its 900GB something due to how its calculated and the PS3 OS is going to reserve a certain ammount of space.
For excample my 750GB drive had 600-ishGB space left when booting up for the first time.

2. Run backup utility, took a few hours for me, saves almost everything, even Users and PSN logins
3. Insert new HDD, just find guides on youtube for the type of PS3 you have. It can be a bit tricky I thought and Im used to hardware
6. Run backuputility

Enjoy!

Thanks, think I'm going to go for the 750gb, 7200rpm Western Digital I was originally looking at, despite the Samsung 1TB being marginally cheaper. Have you filled up your drive yet?

Erasus

Thanks, think I'm going to go for the 750gb, 7200rpm Western Digital I was originally looking at, despite the Samsung 1TB being marginally cheaper. Have you filled up your drive yet?

Oh no, 400GB left :D

That said, I have noticed some stuttering with the drive. In the youtube app mainly, someone else had issues with the BBC iPlayer that I cant test.

In the 2009 HDD upgrade thread
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348232

Its because even thogh it is a Black, it parks the heads when there is no activity.
But I have not noticed anything from videos playing from HDD, or stuttering in games.

The WD Blue drives are even worse, do not get those.

Rashid

Banned
Just make sure it's a 2.5inch 7200rpm drive, hardly any games bar gt5 benefit from an SSD so it's a useless expense. I'm fairly sure digital foundry did an article on what different types if hard drives did to games like skyrim and rage, with an SSD having the marginally best results

So this would be okay to go into my PS3 Slim?

Amazon Link

Yes

Erasus

So this would be okay to go into my PS3 Slim?

Amazon Link

Uh, isnt that the same one that Valnen posted?

People are saying it works so yea.

Just make sure it's a 2.5inch 7200rpm drive, hardly any games bar gt5 benefit from an SSD so it's a useless expense. I'm fairly sure digital foundry did an article on what different types if hard drives did to games like skyrim and rage, with an SSD having the marginally best results

Yes, I posted it here.

SSD is not worth it.

I bought this

6. Run backuputility

Enjoy!

How long did it take to restore everything from your external? I have a 250 that I want to replace and it's full. I'm considering wiping the whole thing and downloading all my games since I've heard that it can take up to 18 hours to fully restore.

jimbor

Banned
Oh no, 400GB left :D

That said, I have noticed some stuttering with the drive. In the youtube app mainly, someone else had issues with the BBC iPlayer that I cant test.

In the 2009 HDD upgrade thread
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348232

Its because even thogh it is a Black, it parks the heads when there is no activity.
But I have not noticed anything from videos playing from HDD, or stuttering in games.

The WD Blue drives are even worse, do not get those.

Oh yeah, I remember reading about the iPlayer issues a while back. Are there any drives that don't park the heads or at least let you disable that feature? Thanks.

Erasus

Yeh sorry I didn't realise! Definitely need to think about getting one of these for the long term!

Do eet, even if you dont have + its nice not having to worry about space ever again.

How long did it take to restore everything from your external? I have a 250 that I want to replace and it's full. I'm considering wiping the whole thing and downloading all my games since I've heard that it can take up to 18 hours to fully restore.

It was not that long. 2h maybe but cant be sure. I deleted all my installed games and all the game data. All I left was some videos and all the saved games.

I went into the download list and downloaded everything again, just leaving it on no trouble. Installs everything automatically and shuts off.

Turned it on again and went and installed some heavy games from disc again. Takes an afternoon atleast though depending on how fast you net is and how many games you want to install right away. But still faster than the backuputility for me.

Installing GT5 again is fun!

Oh yeah, I remember reading about the iPlayer issues a while back. Are there any drives that don't park the heads or at least let you disable that feature? Thanks.

I dont know if Seagate drives do it, Im not too sure. Its either WD or Seagate now btu I only looked at the WD Black drive.

aristotle

I just did my upgrade the last weekend. I went from a 320 to a 750. It took about 8 hrs to back up to USB then 8hrs to transfer to the new drive. It's slow and it sucks, but it literally backs up everything. For me, since I have several different region accounts and my speed is slow, it was worth the wait to make sure I don't have to redownload everything again. Plus going back through you download list is a PITA since there is no search function. I have over 2000 items in my list so it will sometimes not even load correctly, even on the website. Take that into account as well when deciding which way you will backup your HD.

Dynamic3

Went with the 500GB hybrid drive, is normal after initial setup that I was left with only ~410GB available out of ~465GB usable? Is 10% reserved for the system or something along those lines? The PS3 software itself is less than 200MB.

jimbor

Banned
Do eet, even if you dont have + its nice not having to worry about space ever again.

It was not that long. 2h maybe but cant be sure. I deleted all my installed games and all the game data. All I left was some videos and all the saved games.

I went into the download list and downloaded everything again, just leaving it on no trouble. Installs everything automatically and shuts off.

Turned it on again and went and installed some heavy games from disc again. Takes an afternoon atleast though depending on how fast you net is and how many games you want to install right away. But still faster than the backuputility for me.

Installing GT5 again is fun!

I dont know if Seagate drives do it, Im not too sure. Its either WD or Seagate now btu I only looked at the WD Black drive.

Plumped for this one in the end: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007NVGWV0/

I'll let people know how it is once I've got it.

PaulLFC

Sorry for the bump, finally decided it's time to upgrade my 250GB Slim's drive as PS+, brilliant as it is, has left me with no HDD space.

So I just wanted to check, if I buy this drive (same one as posted a couple of times above, the 1TB 5400rpm Samsung), and I'm fine with redownloading everything from PSN onto the new drive, is it literally as simple as

- Turn off PS3
- Remove 250GB drive
- Insert 1TB drive
- Turn on PS3
- Download everything from PSN

Are there any steps I'm missing out, any deactivation I have to do before I replace the drive or anything like that?

Qwell

Nope you have the steps correct, no need to de-activate anything, I've done 3 different upgrades on my PS3's over the years, its always a simple process. I used the backup-restore once, but this last time (went up to a 750gb myself) I just decided to redownload it all since I can just leave it on after queuing up a bunch of stuff and it will get done eventually.

Zoe

I just did my upgrade the last weekend. I went from a 320 to a 750. It took about 8 hrs to back up to USB then 8hrs to transfer to the new drive. It's slow and it sucks, but it literally backs up everything. For me, since I have several different region accounts and my speed is slow, it was worth the wait to make sure I don't have to redownload everything again. Plus going back through you download list is a PITA since there is no search function. I have over 2000 items in my list so it will sometimes not even load correctly, even on the website. Take that into account as well when deciding which way you will backup your HD.

It must have gotten faster. Transferring 300GB from my phat to my slim took over a day :(

PaulLFC

Nope you have the steps correct, no need to de-activate anything, I've done 3 different upgrades on my PS3's over the years, its always a simple process. I used the backup-restore once, but this last time (went up to a 750gb myself) I just decided to redownload it all since I can just leave it on after queuing up a bunch of stuff and it will get done eventually.
Cheers! Sounds simple enough, time to order the new HDD I think.

Before investing in an SSD for PS3, this is a good article to read http://www.gamespot.com/features/playstation-3-solid-state-drive-upgrade-report-updated-6192258/

Don't expect miracles, the PS3 is limited to sub SATA2 speeds, so a fast mechanical drive is going to be on par in most instances with a lot more storage.

Top Bottom