• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 is the best worldwide selling console of 2011 [Update: Undershipped 360 by 800k]

NekoFever

cRIPticon said:
Please reread my post. What don't you understand? To clarify, this was the reality in Japan at the launch of the PS2.
My reading of that post was that you said the PS2 was the highest-quality DVD player on the market, despite being half the price of standalones. I'm not disputing that it was cheaper than standalones, at least in Japan, but as I recall the technical reviews at the time of its release were quite poor.

DonMigs85 said:
I wonder how many were replacements for YLOD units
Not even close to as many as 360's, but I am pissed off so much with both companies. I am on my 3rd or 4th 360 since 2005, and my original 60GB Playstation 3 just died like 2 months ago. They should be forced to put in huge red letters after ever press released....

3.3 million units sold.
*1.3 MILLION ARE CUSTOMERS WHO ARE COMING BACK TO BE BENT OVER AND ARE GOING TO TAKE IT AGAIN.

...And I wil probs be one of those people this holiday season since I have like a good amount of PS3 games, 2 or 3 controllers and most importantly, the PS3 is the kind of the system all my other friends kind of play.

onQ123

OldJadedGamer said:
Can someone translate this for me.

someone said that Nintendo already passed the finish line , & I said did they or did the Gamecube just pass off the baton too early while the PS2 was still running & the wii just caught Nintendo up but never passed Sony because the PS2 was still running side by side with the PS3 & just passed the baton & the Wii U is waiting to get in the race.

because looking at it as a relay race make more sense than the teams starting a new race while the other teams are still running the other race then saying we got to the new finish line 1st.

where is the finish line & why is the wii still running if it passed the finish line & why did the PS2 keep running if it passed the finish line 6 years ago so the 50 million that it sold since then means nothing to Sony because the race was over & Sony & MS should stop running now because the race was over when Wii got to that imaginary finish line that's set by whoever decides to start a new race.

Sydle

onQ123 said:
someone said that Nintendo already passed the finish line , & I said did they or did the Gamecube just pass off the baton too early while the PS2 was still running & the wii just caught Nintendo up but never passed Sony because the PS2 was still running side by side with the PS3 & just passed the baton & the Wii U is waiting to get in the race.

because looking at it as a relay race make more sense than the teams starting a new race while the other teams are still running the other race then saying we got to the new finish line 1st.

where is the finish line & why is the wii still running if it passed the finish line & why did the PS2 keep running if it passed the finish line 6 years ago so the 50 million that it sold since then means nothing to Sony because the race was over & Sony & MS should stop running now because the race was over when Wii got to that imaginary finish line that's set by whoever decides to start a new race.

Oh my.

DMeisterJ said:
Holy Crap this thread is amazing. The war going on in here takes me back to 2006. Good times, good times.
You can't handle the truth!!!!!

Kazerei said:
Heh, it's funny how this thread has so many replies. It's based on an article that sources a previous GAF thread. Dat sensational thread title, I guess.

And thats the thread with all the cold hard facts yet its only 5 pages long. The title doesn't threaten peoples livelihood i guess is the reason.

EDIT- I just realised you're basically saying the samething. Hehe.

Kazerei

Banned
I just hope SalesGAF learned a lesson here.

"Euro, US, JP 2011 YTD Hardware and Software Sales" = boring, nobody cares

"PS3 is the best worldwide selling console of 2011" = OMFG CONSOLE WARZZZ

onQ123 said:

Imdone.gif

SomeDude

Banned
I'd like to know the answer to this if possible:

we know square left nintendo because of cartridge... but why didn't they choose sega saturn over sony?

Sydle

SomeDude said:
I'd like to know the answer to this if possible:

we know square left nintendo because of cartridge... but why didn't they choose sega saturn over sony?

Wasn't Square's reason at the time that PS was the best selling console? The fact that PS was far more developer friendly for 3D than SS probably had something to do with it as well.

Grinchy

Banned
Inanna said:
Good god, this thread is still going strong! :p
I actually thought the "console war" had died down a bit before this thread was made. Now the X and P sides are back to the fight. It's like 2007 all over again.

SYNTAX182

Grinchy said:
I actually thought the "console war" had died down a bit before this thread was made. Now the X and P sides are back to the fight. It's like 2007 all over again.

It's like the war against drugs

Shurs

OldJadedGamer said:
Here is another Jack Tretton quote that reflects perfectly on this thread:

"I’m not bothered who sells the most units. I’m pretty sure the PS3 will outsell the 360 & Wii in the long run but that isn’t important to me. I haven’t got shares in Sony so I won’t get rewarded financially if Sony sells 100m PS3s. I know some people are bothered by who sells the most units though."

I think you need to check your source on that quote.

The idea that Tretton doesn't own Sony stock is laughable.

Edit:
Googling the quote led me to this article.

Your quote isn't from Tretton, but from the author of the article.

onQ123 said:

demotivational-posters-punctuation.jpg

SomeDude

Banned
Paco said:
Wasn't Square's reason at the time that PS was the best selling console? The fact that PS was far more developer friendly for 3D than SS probably had something to do with it as well.

hmm. I was thinking the saturn sold very well in japan was doing fairly decently in us.

SykoTech

Some serious bitterness in this thread. Passive agression seems to be the choice method for people trying to conceal their bias. That and unfunny gifs.

Satchel

Banned
Wow this thread grew fast from my last visit...

So yeah looks like all the Uncharted review thread leftovers definitely made their way over.

Yikes

Sydle

SomeDude said:
hmm. I was thinking the saturn sold very well in japan was doing fairly decently in us.

Sold 9.5 million in total. It never did "very well" any where.

Its development was a nightmare, it was expensive, international offices weren't communicating, and developers said it was awfully difficult with which to work. Sega made so many mistakes.

Loudninja

Thats cool, I think all 3 systems are showing mostly healthy sales.

The Wii is down but the holidays are still yet to come.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
JJD said:
Soiled little girl panties would sell like hotcakes in Japan...and in a lot of other countries too...

J/K! ;-)
It's a shame we can't import them. Then again, even when you buy them first hand from the girl there's a high probability they've given them to male classmates to wear, as they can maximize the number of used panties they can sell that way. Who knows what other shady tactics they use to make them appear used by themselves... it's the kind of thing that you just can't buy through the internet.

SykoTech said:
Some serious bitterness in this thread. Passive agression seems to be the choice method for people trying to conceal their bias. That and unfunny gifs.

Since I'm the one that posted the gif, apparently I'm the one that trying to conceal bias. What type of bias am I trying to hide?

AntiTout

SykoTech said:
Delicious, tasty tears.

Shurs said:
I think you need to check your source on that quote.

Your quote isn't from Tretton, but from the author of the article.

You're right, I thought that quote was just too good to be true coming from an exec... but it is Jack Tretton and the guy has said some insanely stupid things so it seemed to fit in. That quote is a mistake, it wasn't from Tretton.

specialguy said:
So the world is now a few countries in western europe, the USA, and Japan?

Just sayin.

No, just two... PAL and NTSC. It is mostly the countries that games gets translated into.

Just sayin.

I know those countries make up the bulk of sales but you get my point, thread title is a little overwrought.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
specialguy said:

Just sayin.
When it comes to video game sales...Pretty much.

EDIT: Aw yeah in before the stealth edit.

Rolf NB

OldJadedGamer said:
No, just two... PAL and NTSC. It is mostly the countries that games gets translated into.
Can you name a country on this planet that doesn't currently use either PAL or NTSC as their analog SD video standard?

SykoTech

bgassassin said:
Since I'm the one that posted the gif, apparently I'm the one that trying to conceal bias. What type of bias am I trying to hide?

Wasn't talking about your gif actually, but ones earlier in the thread. Hadn't gotten that far yet.

OldJadedGamer said:
MS priced it this way officially or stores priced it? When the arcade slim was released in the states, it was the exact same price as the previous arcade unit. It just had more features. You haven't been able to walk out of a store (with MSRP) with a 360 for under $199.99 in over 3 years. I'm interested to see if what happened in the PAL territory was a store thing or an official thing.

I think it was an official price, but I can't say for sure. I definitely saw it at that price in supermarkets who tend to stick to the RRP unless they have a very specific sale on. The sale price that year was £89.99 in Sainsbury's. So yeah, afaik it was a proper sanctioned price.

Paco said:
Sold 9.5 million in total. It never did "very well" any where.

Its development was a nightmare, it was expensive, international offices weren't communicating, and developers said it was awfully difficult with which to work. Sega made so many mistakes.

It actually did very well in Japan. Only real successful Sega system over there, ironically enough. The FF7 on PS announcement was definitely the beginning of the end though.

AZ Greg said:
That Wollan pic was great.

Man, how expectations have lowered.

lol I know,

"YEAH MAN, WE MAYBE BARELY BEAT MICROSOFT AND GOT ASS WHUPPED BY NINTENDO YAY FOR 2ND!!" *Hi5s*

coming off from the ps1, and then ps2, the ps3 should be ashamed of itself, no wonder ken got shit canned.

NIghtWolf

ZombieSupaStar said:
lol I know,

"YEAH MAN, WE MAYBE BARELY BEAT MICROSOFT AND GOT ASS WHUPPED BY NINTENDO YAY FOR 2ND!!" *Hi5s*

coming off from the ps1, and then ps2, the ps3 should be ashamed of itself, no wonder ken got shit canned.

This.

But you know every company makes mistakes, so I guess it's like that maybe for the best of future if we assume they wouldn't try something like that ever again.

(talking about sony in this case obviously)

Top Bottom