• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 is the best worldwide selling console of 2011 [Update: Undershipped 360 by 800k]

Banned
CadetMahoney said:
The profit angle isn't a very popular sentiment round these parts. Neither are software numbers.

The hardware gap was over 100 million last gen now the gap between Sony and MS is less than 3 million. . . who are the winners?

Considering xbox doesn't exist in the Japan region too. . . Sony lost more than they won, and they're definitely dead last last on profit.

Sony went from 80% market share to less than 30%. Anyone that think they won this gen is not thinking clearly.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
DMeisterJ said:
Holy Crap this thread is amazing. The war going on in here takes me back to 2006. Good times, good times.
Have you seen the latest Lair trailer on IGN? That game looks amazing. 1080p, too.

We need some buckets in this thread cause its fucking raining tears.

Where the hell were you people when the actual sales thread was posted? This title too specific?

Edit- And i don't think anybody is saying sony won anything. Were just acknowledging sales are good. It's the fanboys thats hurt by this and are assuming things. Going so far to bring up BS arguments that has nothing to do with the topic. What does PS2 and sonys past mishaps have to do with PS3 being the best console in 2011?

Fuck if i know.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Anerythristic said:
Oh. my. god. this has actually turned into a PS3 has won the generation circle jerk!? Unreal.

Bottom of the barrel.
Are you not reading the topic?

There are plenty of 360 fanboys here too, I'd say way more than PS3.

Cipherr

onQ123 said:
someone said that Nintendo already passed the finish line , & I said did they or did the Gamecube just pass off the baton too early while the PS2 was still running & the wii just caught Nintendo up but never passed Sony because the PS2 was still running side by side with the PS3 & just passed the baton & the Wii U is waiting to get in the race.

because looking at it as a relay race make more sense than the teams starting a new race while the other teams are still running the other race then saying we got to the new finish line 1st.

where is the finish line & why is the wii still running if it passed the finish line & why did the PS2 keep running if it passed the finish line 6 years ago so the 50 million that it sold since then means nothing to Sony because the race was over & Sony & MS should stop running now because the race was over when Wii got to that imaginary finish line that's set by whoever decides to start a new race.

Holy sweet mother of Moses, Mary and Buddah boy. This is like the cherry on top of the sundae that is this month for the Sony fan bandwagon. The bar just keeps getting higher and higher, this one here will be tough to beat. That was some gymnast, stretch armstrong, "I've gotta go, We've got cows"-esque Twister type levels of spin right there.

Dude said relay race. Im fucking crying.

Indyana

onQ123 said:
someone said that Nintendo already passed the finish line , & I said did they or did the Gamecube just pass off the baton too early while the PS2 was still running & the wii just caught Nintendo up but never passed Sony because the PS2 was still running side by side with the PS3 & just passed the baton & the Wii U is waiting to get in the race.

because looking at it as a relay race make more sense than the teams starting a new race while the other teams are still running the other race then saying we got to the new finish line 1st.

where is the finish line & why is the wii still running if it passed the finish line & why did the PS2 keep running if it passed the finish line 6 years ago so the 50 million that it sold since then means nothing to Sony because the race was over & Sony & MS should stop running now because the race was over when Wii got to that imaginary finish line that's set by whoever decides to start a new race.
Wow, I'm speechless.

Karma said:
Sony went from 80% market share to less than 30%. Anyone that think they won this gen is not thinking clearly.
Whichever opinion you have on the topic it's now just everyone is just calling everyone "fanboys" and avoiding the topic altogether heh.

A hell of of turnaround. Because of the way this generation started out for Sony and all the money and market-share lost I couldn't call this a "win" even if they somehow finish the gen with the most units. It does show a impeccable management job though. To go from being so far behind in marketshare, behind in software, and losing money on every super expensive console to profit on every machine, regained market share, amazing games and decent services is a remarkable feat. And lets not forget about the recovery they made from the whole psn debacle. Really admirable and sound management on what was looking like such a disaster.

Roto13

onQ123 said:

Ha ha ha ha, wow.

DGRE

Banned
bgassassin said:
Isuppli_feb_2008_forecast.jpg
360 actually goes down in the second chart. Hilarious.

Trevelyon

Kung Fu Grip said:
Edit- And i don't think anybody is saying sony won anything. Were just acknowledging sales are good. It's the fanboys thats hurt by this and are assuming things. Going so far to bring up BS arguments that has nothing to do with the topic. What does PS2 and sonys past mishaps have to do with PS3 being the best console in 2011?

Forget it, GAF revelled in all of Sony's humblings early this gen, as did the enthusiast press. Now, any sort of success since is usually met with palpable disdain, pessimism, goal post shifting and general disregard for their successes (as seldom as they seem to be) and 'bah, who cares, only took X amount of years, generation is pretty much over', posts.

For some I guess it's just too bitter a pill to swallow and deflection from the topic at hand is the only course of action.

Bad_Boy said:
yeah cause ps3 has no games.

You know it really does feel like 2006. We've had people lauding HD DVD, that Wollan drawing, the crazy graphs, and now someone claiming the PS3 is nothing but a fancy Blu-ray player. It's like a time warp in this thread...

onQ123

Cipherr said:
Holy sweet mother of Moses, Mary and Buddah boy. This is like the cherry on top of the sundae that is this month for the Sony fan bandwagon. The bar just keeps getting higher and higher, this one here will be tough to beat. That was some gymnast, stretch armstrong, "I've gotta go, We've got cows"-esque Twister type levels of spin right there.

Dude said relay race. Im fucking crying.

what did I spin? people was talking about a console race & that's the way I see it because if it's a race it's more like a relay race because consoles don't get to a certain number of consoles sold then stop.

StuBurns

Banned
soulassssns said:
This would mean something to me if my PS3 was used for anything besides just a bluray player.
Why did you buy a PS3 if you don't want to play games on it? I seem to remember you saying you hope all Sony's franchises end too, you have an odd choice in consumer electronics given your tastes.

Cipherr

onQ123 said:
what did I spin? people was talking about a console race & that's the way I see it because if it's a race it's more like a relay race because consoles don't get to a certain number of consoles sold then stop.

boss.gif

Paracelsus

First it was all about the third party software, then it was about the first party offer, then it was all about the hardware lead, then it was about the overall library.

Ultimately nothing matters other than the profit (none) and the outcome of the war, not how it unfolded.

Basically, Sony sacrificed his console supremacy in order to get the optical disk supremacy. Probably Bluray wouldn't have survived HD-DVD without the 600$ Bluray-enabled PS3, and probably things would have go much better for Sony if they were able to launch their console at 400$.

But, in the end, they didn't lost so much as some people expected (I remember people claiming that PS3 was dead, third party will abandon it and would be discontinued in a few years), but they also don't won so much in the multimedia part, because of Netflix, divx and the low transition from DVD to BluRay.

GeoramA

soulassssns said:
This would mean something to me if my PS3 was used for anything besides just a bluray player.
Sandy vagina much?

You guys really aren't joking when you say it feels like 2006 in here.

mujun

onQ123 said:
did the PS2 stop selling when this gen started? because I remember it selling over 50 Million since the Xbox 360 came out

Is the PS2 mentioned in the OP? No.

Don't try to make out like it's being a fanboy to stay on topic. At the moment the Wii has the biggest install base followed by the 360 then the PS3 (not including portables of course).

I'm sure the PS3 will overtake the 360 at some point but I doubt either of the HD consoles will overtake the Wii.

onQ123

mujun said:
Is the PS2 mentioned in the OP? No.

Don't try to make out like it's being a fanboy to stay on topic. At the moment the Wii has the biggest install base followed by the 360 then the PS3 (not including portables of course).

I'm sure the PS3 will overtake the 360 at some point but I doubt either of the HD consoles will overtake the Wii.

neither was this imaginary console race

KingDizzi

Banned
Kung Fu Grip said:
Cipherr, what movie/show is that GIF from?

Singham, films alright but Bollywood just ain't what it was when I was growing up. :(

soulassssns said:

Damn what a blast from the past!

snoopen

This thread is embarrassing. Feeling something [beyond basic brand loyalty] for a corporation like Sony or Microsoft is stupid. I hope someone writes an article on this thread and makes the true comparisons to gamefaqs etc.

BKK

Tmac said:
Not on passenger seat....

India = Left Hand traffic!

800px-Countries_driving_on_the_left_or_right.svg.png

I wondered why Myanmar, a former British colony sandwiched between the LHD countries of India and Thailand is RHD ...
Burma (Myanmar)

As a former British colony, cars in Burma drove on the left until 1970; the military administration of Ne Win decreed that traffic would drive on the right hand side of the road beginning 7 December 1970. It is alleged that this was because Ne Win had been advised by his astrologer, who had said "move to the right". In spite of the change, most passenger vehicles in the country continue to be RHD, being pre-changeover vehicles and second-hand vehicles imported from Japan, Thailand, and Singapore. Buses imported from Japan that were never converted from RHD to LHD, have doors on the right side in offset position, unlike their counterparts in the Philippines. However, government limousines, imported from the People's Republic of China, are LHD. Virtually all vehicles are driven with a passenger called a "spare" in place to watch the oncoming traffic and inform the driver as to whether it is safe to overtake or not, as the driver cannot see this from the RHD position.[

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-_and_left-hand_traffic#Burma_.28Myanmar.29

Cipherr

snoopen said:
This thread is embarrassing. Feeling something [beyond basic brand loyalty] for a corporation like Sony or Microsoft is stupid. I hope someone writes an article on this thread and makes the true comparisons to gamefaqs etc.

You guys are blowing this out of proportion. There's a couple crazy posts in this thread, but its no asylum thats for sure. Stop being drama queens.

hirokazu

Grinchy said:
I actually thought the "console war" had died down a bit before this thread was made. Now the X and P sides are back to the fight. It's like 2007 all over again.
This is just a warm up for the real battles starting next year! I'm just gonna be a bystander like last time because shit is ridiculous.

Anerythristic said:
Oh. my. god. this has actually turned into a PS3 has won the generation circle jerk!? Unreal.

Bottom of the barrel.
Um, no?

This thread is about:

"Wow, PS3 has the highest console sales so far in 2010! Good job guys, well deserved!"

"LOL who gives a shit, it's still last place and it took five years to get here."

You can spin it both ways, really. And then there's some crazy shit like running marathons and relays, passing the baton and who's wearing what shoes.

Top Bottom