• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 is the best worldwide selling console of 2011 [Update: Undershipped 360 by 800k]

Replicant

crimzonflame said:
Dont Europeans have on average a better internet connection than the US? You would think they would rather play COD on XBL than PSN.
I don't like having to pay to play online.

Haunted

Someone do Joshua's job and make one of these "At this rate, the PS3 will catch up to the Wii in ___ weeks months years" or something.

bgassassin said:
ProjectedConsoleChart_v1_460x323.gif

Isuppli_feb_2008_forecast.jpg
all according to analyst's keikaku?

StevieP

Banned
Shadow of the BEAST said:
free online and the best first party paid of.

2e0siu9.jpg

Boney said:
this is pretty obvious to me that Sony did the right choice with the PS3. Sure Wii sold like crazy for 2 years but nobody bought games for it and everybody stashed them in their pockets, no one is gonna buy a nintendo console again as you can see with 3ds.

PSTriple on the other hand, has been gaining momentum every year, has become the #1 console already, they got the best exclusives, free online and a reliable hardware and know that it's important to be succesful on the whole world that's why they are succesful in the whole world. Sony are truly the kings of videogames and that's not something that you can just moneyhat.

Did you... copy and paste this from IGN boards or something? Bahahaha. Comedy gold!

To heck with that chart - I say it reaches past the PS2 totals by 2012!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Hehehe. PS3 is good. I remember I had fears of Sony discontinuing it. Such a great library. As a true fanboy I want them to own MS next gen.

Haunted

Mrbob said:
Remember this from a long, long time ago? Could have sold over 50 million plus worldwide with the Batarang controller.

141sho9.jpg
Would've been so much better than the Dualshock. :(

JeffGrubb

This feels like when I was kicking around a soccer ball when I was five. I'd kick it to the left of the goal every time. I got clever and moved the goal to where I kept missing to, hoping that by moving the posts, I'd come out the winner in the end.

I still missed, but only because I'm a crappy soccer player.

Banned
Shipment numbers from both Microsoft and Sony show the 360 in the lead by 500,000 units in 2011. Dont take Nintendo slides as fact.

gcubed

JeffGrubb said:
This feels like when I was kicking around a soccer ball when I was five. I'd kick it to the left of the goal every time. I got clever and moved the goal to where I kept missing to, hoping that by moving the posts, I'd come out the winner in the end.

You're crappy at humor too

fernoca

free online and the best first party paid of.
:p

Don't know how it "paid of"; when:

44Z9g.jpg

-3 first party PS3 games
-1 first party 360 game
-5 online PS3 games
-0 online 360 games

lB1SB.jpg

-2 first party 360 games (3 if Dance Central is included)
-0 first party PS3 games
-7 online 360 games
-3 online PS3 games

5t2zM.jpg

-0 first party games (PS3 or 360)
-4 online PS3 games (5 if you include MH3 Portable HD ad-hoc party)

It is a great system and with overall great games; but it seems most people are not buying it for the online and even less are buying it for the first party games. Granted, there's a lot of data not shown in this charts; but it's hard to say based on this charts that the free online and the first parties helped.

Takao

Banned
Karma said:
Shipment numbers from both Microsoft and Sony show the 360 in the lead by 500,000 units in 2011. Dont take Nintendo slides as fact.

Sony hasn't released their latest quarter report (it's released Nov. 2), which includes the PS3 price cut period. So where are you getting this 500k from? The same sales period which had the PSP be the best selling platform worldwide?

cnizzle06

Banned
JeffGrubb said:

Scanning for subtext...

Subtext undetected.

Proceeding...

subversus said:
Hehehe. PS3 is good. I remember I had fears of Sony discontinuing it. Such a great library. As a true fanboy I want them to own MS next gen.
I remember when showing your fanboy stripes was something to be ashamed of.

Karma said:

Microsoft has a lot to gain by their figures. What does Nintendo have to gain by proclaiming the PS3 as the best selling console worldwide? Nothing.

The PS3 would have been a fucking monster had it been priced cheaper.

rpmurphy

Karma said:
These numbers were extrapolated from the graphs based on sell-through numbers from NPD, Media Create, and GfK. It's not shipments.

hirokazu

How the hell did this get a new thread when the source itself directly credits GAF for much of the data? Did the OP not read the article?

fernoca said:
:

5t2zM.jpg

-0 first party games (PS3 or 360)
-4 online PS3 games (5 if you include MH3 Portable HD ad-hoc party)

wow out of the 14 best selling third party games 7 are on ps3. 12 are on playstation formats.

thats insane.

why are the japanese industry supporting nintendo formats. Makes zero sense.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ShockingAlberto said:

New generation around the corner. Get yourself to a fallout shelter, its gonna get radioactive in the next few years.

Takao

Banned
wow out of the 14 best selling third party games 7 are on ps3. 12 are on playstation formats.

thats insane.

This is just 2011, back when the Nintendo platforms were god mode there was hardly any non-Nintendo based software in the top sellers list.

rpmurphy

thats insane.

Well, most 3rd parties aren't supporting the DS and Wii as much anymore because one reached its end and the other soon to be.

LQX

Majanew said:
They finally closed and passed the 1-3 million lead the 360 had?
I dunno, just seemed from this thread and the other thread with all the excitement that the PS3 somehow won something.

MS is still the underdog going into next gen. Hope they keep up and remain competitive. The marketshare Sony gained in the US and European regions will be hard to catch up to.

amidoinitrite

Boney

Banned

thats insane.

oh wow you beat my post kudos!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
ThisWreckage said:

I think it would have sold better if it was actually "1 year" more powerful than the 360, even at that crazy price. Imagine some sort of "360 1.5" in terms of power, with free online as well as cross game chat/trophies/in-game XMB from day one. I bet a good chunk of 360 owners would have happily switched over a long time ago. I mean the "hardcore/early adopter" people, those that care about the above stuff more than Blu-Ray movies compatibility.

DonMigs85

TTP said:
I think it would have sold better if it was actually "1 year" more powerful than the 360, even at that crazy price. Imagine some sort of "360 1.5" in terms of power, with free online as well as cross game chat/trophies/in-game XMB from day one. I bet a good chunk of 360 owners would have happily switched over a long time ago.
Grr, stupid stripped-down Geforce 7800
Would've been nice if they put in something between the Geforce 8600 and 8800 in terms of power.

ShockingAlberto said:

Wollen wore those stripes with pride. Since this thread is just a dup of another thread, I would like to share his pre-launch prediction drawing... it might finally come true!!!

nextgenrace.jpg

He really did draw this... and posted it but it is my all time favorite drawing of the console wars... ever!

Banned
Takao said:
Sony hasn't released their latest quarter report (it's released Nov. 2), which includes the PS3 price cut period. So where are you getting this 500k from? The same sales period which had the PSP be the best selling platform worldwide?

I am getting the 500k 360 lead from the only full numbers we have from Sony and Microsoft. PS3 will need to ship 2.9 million for the Jul-Sep quarter to pass the 360 for the year.

ThisWreckage said:
Microsoft has a lot to gain by their figures. What does Nintendo have to gain by proclaiming the PS3 as the best selling console worldwide? Nothing.

Are you saying Microsoft is lying on offical financial statements? The Nintendo slides are estimates and are not offered as official financial records.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
DonMigs85 said:
Grr, stupid stripped-down Geforce 7800

Yeah. Biggest mistake IMO. Beyond price and everything. Would have actually gotten "two jobs" for something as powerful as 1 year difference and the "2 TFLOPS!" remarks would have led to believe.

And yet, we are still here, reading on Digital Foundry about PS3 games performing "almost as good as 360 ones".

LOL, I mean, "almost as good"? WTF?! There should be no contest at all?

Erethian

Karma said:
I am getting the 500k 360 lead from the only full numbers we have from Sony and Microsoft. PS3 will need to ship 2.9 million for the Jul-Sep quarter to pass the 360 for the year.

The numbers Sony and Microsoft provide in their fiscal reports are for shipped to retailers.

These are sold through numbers from the sales tracking firms for the respective countries.

TTP said:
Yeah. Biggest mistake IMO. Beyond price and everything. Would have actually gotten "two jobs" for something as powerful as 1 year difference and the "2 TFLOPS!" remarks would have led to believe.

And yet, we are still here, reading on Digital Foundry about PS3 games performing "almost as good as 360 ones".

LOL, I mean, "almost as good"? WTF?! There should be no contest at all?

The PS3 is a chore to develop for. Developers that actually take the time to get to know the hardware have produced fantastic results (Santa Monica Studio and Naughty Dog, to name two). Third party developers are not going to do that.

The PS4 will be much, much easier to develop for. I have a feeling that Sony has already approached third party developers and asked them what they want out of the hardware. You can bet your ass that they're surveying devs like Naughty Dog and getting feedback from them too.

Top Bottom