• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 is the best worldwide selling console of 2011 [Update: Undershipped 360 by 800k]

DonMigs85

I have a feeling PS4 and Xbox 720 might end up too similar to each other. It would be kinda silly if they both used AMD GPUs too.

Jimrpg

What I don't understand is why people ever doubted Sony in the first place and people were praising Nintendo.

Nintendo were selling consoles based on hype and hope that motion controlled gaming would be the true next gen technology. The problem was that Nintendo themselves faked motion controlled gaming to begin with in their very own controller. The had to add on motion plus to get much better motion control to get to true gaming. Waggling gets old even for kids. No wonder people's wii's sit in their cupboards. And the same thing again with Nintendo with third parties, developers just didn't want to deal with Nintendo for whatever reason, and most multi platform games - it was the game reviewers recommending the 360 or PS3 versions most of the time.

Yes Sony has the move controller but thats not what makes them successful, it has a blu ray player and it has great exclusive titles, I can list the 360 exclusives on one hand, Forza, Halo, Gears of War.... I can list at least 3 or 4 times that for Sony, and the first party Sony titles are pretty reliable in terms of quality. For whatever reason, Microsoft just stopped making games for the core gamers. Another great decision that Sony made was free online gaming... i know in America there's a large community dedicated to Live gaming, but after 5 years thats $250 for something that should be free. Or maybe I just don't care as much about online gaming. Regardless it helps a lot.

Sony definitely made a slow start, but it really annoyed me at the start that people kept trashing the console. Even in its infancy, it was a pretty good console, it is clearly the best console now, it has a pretty good indie scene and downloadable games as well AND it operates with real money not a points system! I laughed when Kaz said it was going to be a 10 year system, I'm glad thats what they are going for because I still have heaps of PS2 and PS3 games that I am playing and I'm not really ready for another console! (except for the Vita)....

I really hope we can use multiple Vitas with the PS3 as a controller and extra screen, that would be a great way to play some games especially with the touch screen.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
ShockingAlberto said:
I remember when showing your fanboy stripes was something to be ashamed of.

I was joking.

but I despise MS anyway and prefer Sony or Nintendo reign

I think it really paid off in the end, for SONY.

It was a wise decision to invest money in First Party rather than paying royalties for Exclusivity to third parties.

SONY learned the hard way that publishers are only interested in making money, they will make SHIT ports one after another.

I think since Xbox360 started @ 399.99 for normal
non retard
edition, SONY should have started with one model of PS3 @ 499.99 and charged 50 Dollars for PSN.

It would have made enough MONEY to cover the Losses in the long RUN.

Secondly the PSN would have gotten much better Treatment.

I think going FORWARD - SONY should charge for Multiplayer gaming.

However they should charge it in a way that is reasonable.

example can be: 50 per year for 1 Master account and 3 sub accounts/other users on same console.

Anteater

Good for them, if they keep up with 1st party development, and improve what they had learned from the PS3, with good 3rd party support, next gen could be really interesting due to competitions.

Unregistered007 said:

It was a wise decision to invest money in First Party rather than paying royalties for Exclusivity to third parties.

SONY learned the hard way that publishers are only interested in making money, they will make SHIT ports one after another.

non retard
edition, SONY should have started with one model of PS3 @ 499.99 and charged 50 Dollars for PSN.

example can be: 50 per year for 1 Master account and 3 sub accounts/other users on same console.

The money that they would have had to spend to keep franchises like GTA exclusive on the PS3 was spent on acquiring Media Molecule and Sucker Punch. I think that's a pretty good deal.

Satchel

Banned
Good on Sony. They needed some good news.

Great generation when second and third place end up selling around 60 million consoles. Awesome.

Wonder if MS will drop the price next year to maintain their worldwide lead, or just concentrate on profits as opposed to dick waving 6 years into a generation.

Well that is great, but um how can I tell you this. The year isn't over with and the biggest season is coming up, Holiday 2011. Good luck with that though.

DonMigs85 said:
I appreciate the user-upgradeable HDD as well. I hope PS4 retains that.

Don't hold your breath. Take a look at Vita.

T-0800 said:
Couldn't have been best selling console of 2011 in 2006.

Why not? The PS2 sold about 1 million units in the first 48 hours on sale and that was only Japan in a non holiday month!

hirokazu

arbok26 said:
What I don't understand is why people ever doubted Sony in the first place and people were praising Nintendo.

Nintendo were selling consoles based on hype and hope that motion controlled gaming would be the true next gen technology. The problem was that Nintendo themselves faked motion controlled gaming to begin with in their very own controller. The had to add on motion plus to get much better motion control to get to true gaming. Waggling gets old even for kids. No wonder people's wii's sit in their cupboards. And the same thing again with Nintendo with third parties, developers just didn't want to deal with Nintendo for whatever reason, and most multi platform games - it was the game reviewers recommending the 360 or PS3 versions most of the time.

Yes Sony has the move controller but thats not what makes them successful, it has a blu ray player and it has great exclusive titles, I can list the 360 exclusives on one hand, Forza, Halo, Gears of War.... I can list at least 3 or 4 times that for Sony, and the first party Sony titles are pretty reliable in terms of quality. For whatever reason, Microsoft just stopped making games for the core gamers. Another great decision that Sony made was free online gaming... i know in America there's a large community dedicated to Live gaming, but after 5 years thats $250 for something that should be free. Or maybe I just don't care as much about online gaming. Regardless it helps a lot.

Sony definitely made a slow start, but it really annoyed me at the start that people kept trashing the console. Even in its infancy, it was a pretty good console, it is clearly the best console now, it has a pretty good indie scene and downloadable games as well AND it operates with real money not a points system! I laughed when Kaz said it was going to be a 10 year system, I'm glad thats what they are going for because I still have heaps of PS2 and PS3 games that I am playing and I'm not really ready for another console! (except for the Vita)....

I really hope we can use multiple Vitas with the PS3 as a controller and extra screen, that would be a great way to play some games especially with the touch screen.
People trashed the PS3 in the early days because:

- They made so many mistakes as they were preparing to launch. The price, the size, the games.
- The hype around it was so ridiculous and they arguably didn't fully deliver on the promised potential as we now know given the shortcoming of the PS3's GPU.

Odd that you mention the Wii being sold on hype and potential. I'm pretty sure it was sold on what it could do as Wii Sports, Wii Play and Zelda as launch titles demonstrated. They never promised the accuracy of Motion Plus with the original Wii remote.

It could be argued that both the Wii and PS3's shortcomings in meeting potential came as a result of developers not utilising its capabilities properly - Wii with developers struggling to make actual good use of the motion technology to improve a game experience and PS3 with many developers struggling or not bothering to use the CELL SPUs to offset weaknesses in the GPU.

But come on, did you forget those early days of the PS3? Hype coupled with bad decisions from Sony. Makes sense that people doubted the system.

jrbl1

Banned
Sony has some advantages over the Superior gaming console that is Xbox360 (in my opinion, owning almost every console ever, but still meaningless)

1. The Blu-Ray was a super smart move on Sony's part and gives PS3 huge props.
2. Xbox sells worse then soiled little girl panties in Japan.
3. Microsoft has worst PR ever.
4. Sony has more popular first and second party exclusives.

But numbers, as they always have been are easy to manipulate, not that these are. But congratulations Sony, I love your console, just my XBOX is better this generation almost on every multi-platform game.

Not trying to start flame war. this is just my opinion, I am well aware others have different opinions and have just as compelling or not compelling arguments as me. I personally use my XBOX more.

Next gen may be Sony's but this gen they have been playing catch up the whole time.

Who knew Microsoft was hated more in Japan then America?

Abooie

Banned
TheListener said:
Um... holiday hasn't happened yet. I believe it's still 2011.

This is what I was thinking.

Also after the Uncharted debacle I'd have thought it time for Sony Gaf to lie low for a bit.

jrbl1 said:
Sony has some advantages over the Superior gaming console that is Xbox360 (in my opinion, owning almost every console ever, but still meaningless)

But numbers, as they always have been are easy to manipulate, not that these are. But congratulations Sony, I love your console, just my XBOX is better this generation almost on every multi-platform game.

Not trying to start flame war. this is just my opinion, I am well aware others have different opinions and have just as compelling or not compelling arguments as me. I personally use my XBOX more.

Next gen may be Sony's but this gen they have been playing catch up the whole time.

What, what, and what?

hirokazu

Abooie said:
This is what I was thinking.

Also after the Uncharted debacle I'd have thought it time for Sony Gaf to lie low for a bit.
Sorry, I haven't been following Uncharted 3 news much to avoid spoilers and also being too busy, but what is the debacle? Is it bad review scores or opinions?

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
crimzonflame said:
If they have better internet why arent they buying Xbox over PS3?!!!
Because since Europe has better online they don't have to wait 5+ (lol) hours for the downloads? PSN has more dedicated servers than XBL? Europe prefers Sony first party titles? Online is actually FREE?

Yeah, I dunno why as well. :p

Subitai

TheListener said:
Um... holiday hasn't happened yet. I believe it's still 2011.
This is true, but I don't know if there are even enough systems in the NA retail channel to make up the difference should MS get a similar holiday boost from Kinect the way they did last year.

Speevy

Banned
It's because of the Blighttown framerate in Dark Souls.

It's actually slowed down time, allowing the PS3 to catch up.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
hirokazu said:
Sorry, I haven't been following Uncharted 3 news much to avoid spoilers and also being too busy, but what is the debacle? Is it bad review scores or opinions?
Eurogamer gave Uncharted 3 an 8 and quite a few posters decided it would be a good time to lose their shit. Afterward many claimed to be joking though it was pretty obvious which were joking and which were "joking".

Truespeed

ThisWreckage said:
The PS3 is a chore to develop for. Developers that actually take the time to get to know the hardware have produced fantastic results (Santa Monica Studio and Naughty Dog, to name two). Third party developers are not going to do that.

That's probably because they don't need to work as hard anymore. The current SDK is over 4GB in size. If you can't do what you want with the numerous tools, extensive documentation, examples and code provided then you probably shouldn't be developing on the platform.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Unregistered007 said:

non retard

Yeah no... I'm going to switch to Steam full time the day Sony starts charging for PSN. I'm never, ever going to pay to play. And if Steam starts charging, well goodbye online gaming! But I doubt Valve would do that.

jrbl1

Banned
I think Microsoft is mostly a company that people don't like and have a negative opinion of. Maybe not you and maybe I am wrong but I thought I made it clear it was just my opinion.

Yes Sony made some major gaffs and I am more a fan of XBOX then PS3 but this is just my view of things, and people disagreeing on a forum, I didn't think it was possible

I prefer Gears of War and Halo over almost any PS3 exclusive but Sony has more and they are more popular worldwide. Again in my opinion.

Ummm are you seriously questioning Microsoft being hated in Japan. You obviously haven't seen the sales of XBOX in Japan.

Jonm1010

Banned
Abooie said:
The melt down from the Eurogamer 8/10...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32102086&postcount=3251 sums it up.
Holy shit those reactions! By mere association I feel they have single handedly brought down the collective IQ of this site. I dont know how I missed that whole meltdown! Wow!

I mean are you fucking serious? I mean what sort of crazy fucked up fanboyism pushes a person to damage control a game they have never played and furthermore allows them to get so defensive over something so menial in the grand scheme of things? Boo fucking hoo, its not going to beat Mario Galaxy 2 on metacritic - oh no - go bury your head in your pillow and drown yourself in your tears of sorrow you fucking pussies!

Noshino

Anteater said:
Good for them, if they keep up with 1st party development, and improve what they had learned from the PS3, with good 3rd party support, next gen could be really interesting due to competitions.

No more linux or anything like that from the very beginning. The PS4 is likely to follow the 360 route in that the HDD is proprietary.

Sony is better ready for next gen, their 1st party studios share a lot of tech among themselves as well as with 3rd parties. They also have their one multiplatform engine ready. Oh and PS Suite.

Then they have their Pub Fund program, which should make the platform more attractive for indie development.

Microsoft is also pretty well equipped, specially building up their 1st party since their collab/acquisitions more often than not end in disaster.

Nintendo are the ones that need to get working (and they seem to be), the gap between them and Sony and Microsoft, when it comes to online infrastructure and 3rd party relations, is quite wide.

jrbl1 said:
I think Microsoft is mostly a company that people don't like and have a negative opinion of. Maybe not you and maybe I am wrong but I thought I made it clear it was just my opinion.

Yes Sony made some major gaffs and I am more a fan of XBOX then PS3 but this is just my view of things, and people disagreeing on a forum, I didn't think it was possible

I prefer Gears of War and Halo over almost any PS3 exclusive but Sony has more and they are more popular worldwide. Again in my opinion.

Ummm are you seriously questioning Microsoft being hated in Japan. You obviously haven't seen the sales of XBOX in Japan.

They aren't hated.... they just aren't interested in Microsoft's offerings.

jrbl1

Banned
OK could of chose better wording I guess. Your name is more Japanese then mine so I will assume you know more. Hope I don't make an ass out of myself and you for making that assumption.

Maybe I will figure out how to work a forum one day. sorry, should have quoted. Ignore this

Concept17

Inanna said:
Yeah no... I'm going to switch to Steam full time the day Sony starts charging for PSN. I'm never, ever going to pay to play. And if Steam starts charging, well goodbye online gaming! But I doubt Valve would do that.

Agreed. I believe many people really enjoy that playing games is free on PSN. Its probably a big factor for a lot of people.

chrislowe

Inanna said:
Because since Europe has better online they don't have to wait 5+ (lol) hours for the downloads? PSN has more dedicated servers than XBL? Europe prefers Sony first party titles? Online is actually FREE?

Yeah, I dunno why as well. :p

I, (like many of my friends here in Europe) owns both systems.
Cant say that i see any difference in online-gaming on the xbox or the ps3, or that the
downloadspeed differs. (and i have both PSN+ and Xbox Live Gold)

I have a ordinary 10Mbit ethernetline, and if i want to pay $80 a month i can get 1000Mbit line instead.

JJD

DonMigs85 said:
I wonder how many were replacements for YLOD units

At least 1, mine.

I also had 3 360 RROD.
jrbl1 said:

Soiled little girl panties would sell like hotcakes in Japan...and in a lot of other countries too...

J/K! ;-)

jrbl1 said:

I'm well aware of the state of the consoles in Japan, thanks.

I'm struggling to figure out what you mean by "more popular worldwide". Which games are these, and based on what?

jrbl1

Banned
Concept17 said:
Agreed. I believe many people really enjoy that playing games is free on PSN. Its probably a big factor for a lot of people.

I think it is a big selling point also. But Sony is a corporation and it is working well for Microsoft so they will probobly start charging. I love Playstation Plus though. I hope they do that again.

Decarb said:
Yeah, but not the Wii. This is the first time it outsold everything else including handhelds.
No. just NO.

It's October and we have 2 months if massive sales ahead.
The ps3 outsold shit in 2011 as 2011 still has some way to go.

I expect PS3 will end up the lowest selling come January NPD

jrbl1 said:
I think it is a big selling point also. But Sony is a corporation and it is working well for Microsoft so they will probobly start charging. I love Playstation Plus though. I hope they do that again.

Start? They already charged previously for online gaming in Japan last gen with the PS2. If they are willing to go go backwards on open memory with their new systems like the Vita... Who is to say they won't go backwards and start charging for online play again next gen? Every new system brings a new set of rules.

Decarb said:
Yeah, but not the Wii. This is the first time it outsold everything else including handhelds.

Let us not forget that last year at $299 Sony expected 15 million in sales. This year at $250 they expect the same number so sales are actually down and a price drop was needed to keep them steady.

lots of
1272445954095.gif

worthy moment up in this bitch hehe.

ThisWreckage said:
The PS3 is a chore to develop for. Developers that actually take the time to get to know the hardware have produced fantastic results (Santa Monica Studio and Naughty Dog, to name two). Third party developers are not going to do that.

The PS4 will be much, much easier to develop for. I have a feeling that Sony has already approached third party developers and asked them what they want out of the hardware. You can bet your ass that they're surveying devs like Naughty Dog and getting feedback from them too.

So why did they fall into the same trap again after the PS2 was notoriously a pain in the arse to develop for, they did the same again with the PS3? How many times does it take them to learn?

jrbl1 said:
Sony will not alienate their fan base by charging to play online. They will likely have 2 offers. A free basic PSN where you can online, and PSN+ with cross game chat, party chat and discounts and other stuff.

jrbl1

Banned
JJD said:
Soiled little girl panties would sell like hotcakes in Japan...and in a lot of other countries too...

J/K! ;-)

Ya not a good example as they do sell well but I thought it was funny.

Top Bottom