• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 launch event in France: guess which troll is banned until the first price drop

schuelma said:

In Paris only about 50 people turned out for the 1,000 PS3s available at a ceremonial launch at the foot of the Eiffel Tower.

1174344780195gy5.jpg

rs7k

AltogetherAndrews said:
Look past the hardware? It's a hardware race, and the crap for build but on the cheap is apparently winning over quality. You tell me how that sets a good precedent for generations to come. Why would any console manufacturer bother with creating a system that is both powerful and reliable when it's clear that you need to meet at most one of the two requirements to see success in the marketplace? It's really ****ing sad.

Look, it's just video games, log off and enjoy your PS3.

NinSoX said:
Wow MS keeps burning money. Hiring people and renting a ferry boat to try to steal attention from 100 fans.

I'm sure it's nowhere near as much as Sony burned renting out the Eiffel Tower area for 50 fans.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Look past the hardware? It's a hardware race, and the crap for build but on the cheap is apparently winning over quality. You tell me how that sets a good precedent for generations to come. Why would any console manufacturer bother with creating a system that is both powerful and reliable when it's clear that you need to meet at most one of the two requirements to see success in the marketplace? It's really ****ing sad.

its pretty clear Sony doesn't know what the requirements are to see success in the marketplace though. its like they totally misinterpreted what people liked about the PS2 on a massive scale.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Well, I guess I can stop worrying about the influx of European members for the Resistance clan now.

Karma Kramer said:
This has seriously been the WORST week for Sony in the history of gaming.

On the bright side, for the consumer, if this is as bad as it looks, then Sony really isn't going to have much of a choice when it comes to price drops.

vasuba

Banned
wait wait wait let me get this right. AltogetherAndrews is saying Nintendo makes cheap crappy hardware? Are we really in that much of a bizzaro world?

Nintendos console might not be able to take me back in time or back to the future but the one thing Having Nintendo Stamped on it means is its damn good quality in its construction etc.

TheGreatDave said:
I don't know why you guys want sales figures. You'll get a Sony PR on Monday that says they shipped a million.

Well, why not have sales figures? I'd rather have an accurate number to bitch about instead of random trolling based on bad launch events.

FtsH

ConayR said:
Photos from France are nice, but some ppl came with friends. According to JF there were 20-something actual buyers in that crowd. Additional 4-5 buyers in another location.
so about 30 PS3 sold at launch for a city like Paris?
My nearby gamestop sold 5 at that day...

http://tf1.lci.fr/infos/high-tech/0,...ait-bide-.html

lol here is the headline from A 24/7 news channel in France. The title can be translated to "PS3 launch flops".

I ran some of the text through Babelfish. The results are NOT good:

"Not at Sony in any case, where the faces are tended and where one awaits nothing any more but the end of one evening nightmare. A person in charge for the gray FNAC, co-organiser of the event, fact mine and enumerates first explanations. "Successes of Wii, unfavourable time, date badly chosen, and especially prices of the console made this evening an not-event""

"Here, on the 1000 consoles installation, hardly 300 were sold. Whereas three months ago, for the launching of Wii de Nintendo, the spans were full as of 10 p.m., they remain hopelessly empty... The hour turning, the situation becomes critical for Sony. The few fans having made displacement are very astonished to only find itself. "

Wow.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
:lol @the Xboat! MS really knows how to crash a party!

Damn this launch looks sad - maybe this'll be a huge eye-opener for Sony that up here, €600 is more than half the target market's monthly income...

Still, wow @ this flop...

Lefty42o

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:

600.00 price point is a good precedent. wow ok man

next games sell hardware. always been that way. thats why i bought a ps2 for the games. i bought a xbox for halo.

see my point. your going off on the hardware when many consoles have hardware issues in the first year. even the company you said should be setting the precedent. how quickly we forget the past when we choose 2. well i am old enough to remebr alot of products failing on me and it happens.

remember the sony batteries exploding. the ps1 having alignment issues with the lasers in the cd roms. remember ps2's crapping out days after buying them?

what happened? in all cases revisions were made that fixed the issues. it happens. but you forgetting this and bashing ms for it is just your blindness or the fact you are clueless. either way as i said befor thats what warranties are for.

i never buy a expensive peice of electronics with out some warranty. self protections is a hell of a thing.
and the fact you still fail to recognize sony;s faulty harddware of years past makes you lose all credibility and i am sure i speak for the majority of this thread

vasuba said:
wait wait wait let me get this right. AltogetherAndrews is saying Nintendo makes cheap crappy hardware? Are we really in that much of a bizzaro world?

Nintendos console might not be able to take me back in time or back to the future but the one thing Having Nintendo Stamped on it means is its damn good quality in its construction etc.

You got it wrong. Not sure how you managed to get it so horribly wrong, but you did. Nintendo systems are very reliable. It's the power end that is lacking.

shpankey

not an idiot
NinSoX said:
Wow MS keeps burning money. Hiring people and renting a ferry boat to try to steal attention from 100 fans.
heh, ya but that little escapade will reach the eyes of more people than were at that event. as evidence here. it's pretty clever actually. though no doubt will eventually come back around on them. much like some of those Sega dealios.

tsef

Sony avait annoncé une projection du dernier James Bond, c'est finalement l'agent gaffeur de OSS 117 qui est projeté sur un écran géant. Une forme de métaphore de la soirée devant une fosse littéralement déserte.
Sony said they would show the last James Bond Movie, but ultimately it was the movie OSS 117 about a goofy spy that showed up on the big screen. Some kind of a metaphor in front of the empty room.

Un responsable de la FNAC, coorganisateur de l'événement, fait grise mine et énumère de premières explications. "Succès de la Wii, temps défavorable, date mal choisie, et surtout prix de la console ont fait de cette soirée un non-évènement"
One manager from the FNAC, the shop that was co organizing the event, is disapointed and tries to put forward some explanations : "Success of the Wii, bad weather, wrong date and especially the price have made this night a non-event"

_leech_ said:
Well, why not have sales figures? I'd rather have an accurate number to bitch about instead of random trolling based on bad launch events.

Um... he was making a joke about the accuracy (or lack thereof) in Sony's PR statements.

vasuba

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
You got it wrong. Not sure how you managed to get it so horribly wrong, but you did. Nintendo systems are very reliable. It's the power end that is lacking.

This Gen the power is lacking sure.Last Gen they had a top of the line beast and it lost out to the inferior. HD gaming while an important step was premature in coming and the Wii is showing people dont need HD to enjoy gaming. Sony says without HD gaming is dead and no fun.

AltogetherAndrews said:
You know what? Shut up and chill.

The majority around the ****ing world dictated what happened over the last ten ****ing years and what we got was 75% domination by Sony. You cannot have what's happened in the last decade and not accept that same majority is basically kickin' that overpriced, stank shit to the curb. Deal.

If Sony's gonna work out of this, that's up to them. But they're the ones driving the boat right into the ****ing iceberg, as pointed out by most rational mother****ers for the last two god damned years.

Ranger X

_leech_ said:

Especially that we are also amplificating all this up a notch. GAF power.
It's funny though ;)

_leech_ said:

I just mean it's pointless asking. We're going to just get PR shit, like we always do for European numbers. This is living, there's no need for facts!

jaypah

AltogetherAndrews said:
Yes, it was by far the better system. The only problem was a lack of a solid first party stable, but that's not really a problem with Sony, now is it? So Sony has the most solidly built system and a promise of great first party games, yet people want that company to be humbled by a company that for this generation decided to skimp on quality and sell a suicidal console, with an outrageous pricing scheme for peripherals to boot. Right on.

Build quality and/or power. Xbox 360 fails the first, Wii totally fails the second. Sony is the only one that can provide in both areas, and it's being slammed. You guys want crap for cheap, what else is new?

:lol you have to see the ridiculousness that you type dude. i mean really.....wtf? you are the definition of hilarity. regardless of what happens to the market please continue to post here. you're like a child refusing to believe that Santa isn't real. you do realize that Sony doesn't pay you to enjoy PS products right? it's the other way around. you. need. help. it's just games. and not even games, just the box that plays them. you believe waaaay to hard in a game company. stop. your daddy is fumbling the ball and you're calling foul on the refs? :lol

ConayR

FtsH said:
so about 30 PS3 sold at launch for a city like Paris?
My nearby gamestop sold 5 at that day...
These are only two places reported - I bet there are more than 2 stores in Paris. :)

Xavien

Hunter D said:
AltogetherAndrews seems to be losing it.

One of many meltdowns that Sony Fans have been experiencing this week.

This single week has given birth to a sect of crazy Sony Fans that can only be rivalled by Nintendo fans during the GCN era.

Its Scary and hilarious at the same time :lol :lol .

But really, the bad news for Sony just keeps on coming this week, its like Fate herself is paying Sony back for the good news they received during GDC.

Bad News after Bad News further being compounded by bad news.

Lefty42o

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:

gamecube was more powerfull than the ps2. didnlt matter as the ps2 had killer 3rd party support and games sell hardware :D

TheGreatDave said:
I just mean it's pointless asking. We're going to just get PR shit, like we always do for European numbers. This is living, there's no need for facts!

No organization tracks European sales?

ConayR said:
These are only two places reported - I bet there are more than 2 stores in Paris. :)

if there wasnt a line around Metreon in San Francisco, but it still sold out in the Best Buy down the street, that would still be a DEEP SHIT situation. also a very comparable one.

for reference, Metreon houses the PlayStatin store in SF.

AltogetherAndrews said:

The hardware race is won with the software. If they all did the same thing then you would have a point but the Wii brings something new to the market and apparently people like it. The 360 performs just as well as the PS3 and it has a better library so far. Your console may hit its stride in the future with a few price drops and some more compelling software but I don't see why you are so surprised. Consoles have never been this expensive before. It's Sony breaking the rules this time around. Is it wrong for consumers to want a cheaper console? You make it sound as if pure garbage is outselling the PS3. As far as I'm concerned, people can find entertainment elsewhere and they actually may enjoy it. Anyways, this won't affect your gaming future adversely. Sony will be using the PS3 or at least its technology for a decade remember?

Further, I don't think its sad that the next generation will probably be cheaper. If every console was 499+ this time around, I assure you that the market would shrink significantly. A shrinking market is not good for anyone including the technophiles like you. It only means more developers jettison their projects.

_leech_ said:

I'm sure companies do, I know Chart Track do in the UK, but they're never released publicly and we rarely get leaks. It's possible we may get tidbits I suppose, but it's not how it usually seems to happen in Europe.

vasuba

Banned
_leech_ said:

not really no all we have to go on is estimates and company PR. and SOny already released a launched day Statement saying how amazingly awesome the launch went so i think we can see how that will go

jaypah said:
it's just games. and not even games, just the box that plays them.

It's a shame that box is so damned important then, huh? There are two paths that I do not have an interest in seeing this industry take. I don't have an interest in seeing it go the Wii route, bargain bin priced minor power update with fancy waggle. And I don't want it go down the road paved by MS, which would sacrifice the quality of the hardware build in order to shave money off the price and squeeze the console into the mid-price section. If MS wins with the strategy it has employed this generation, then say goodbye to ever seeing a solidly built and powerful console again. Why waste money on something that can be referred to as being covered by extended warranties and that is clearly not an important factor to consumers?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
TheGreatDave said:
I'm sure companies do, I know Chart Track do in the UK, but they're never released publicly and we rarely get leaks. It's possible we may get tidbits I suppose, but it's not how it usually seems to happen in Europe.

So the only way to get sales numbers is from the companies themselves? Yuck

AltogetherAndrews said:
It's a shame that box is so damned important then, huh? There are two paths that I do not have an interest in seeing this industry take. I don't have an interest in seeing it go the Wii route, bargain bin priced minor power update with fancy waggle. And I don't want it go down the road paved by MS, which would sacrifice the quality of the hardware build in order to shave money off the price and squeeze the console into the mid-price section. If MS wins with the strategy it has employed this generation, then say goodbye to ever seeing a solidly built and powerful console again. Why waste money on something that can be referred to as being covered by extended warranties and that is clearly not an important factor to consumers?

i seriously cannot believe that you are using Sony as some sort of benchmark for quality hardware builds. its mind-numbing :lol

AltogetherAndrews said:

I'm not going to bother with the comments about the Wii.

But as for the Microsoft comments about shoddy hardware?

THE PS2 AND PS1 WERE NO. BETTER.

AltogetherAndrews said:

Sounds like you need to get out of the console biz and become a PC gamer.

Top Bottom