• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 launch event in France: guess which troll is banned until the first price drop

shpankey

not an idiot
bud said:
Oh noes. PS3 not selling in..........TURKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TURKEY

seriously, turkey

whats turkey
turkey.jpg

Sirolf

3rdman said:
According to babelfish, it says that the entire chain sold 10,000 pre-oders which people have been collecting all day and they have approx. 15,000 consoles left for the weekend for walk-ins. Much better news...
According to me , a french who speak french and understand english,Micromania estimates than it has sold 15 000 PS3 TODAY.:)
Comprehension and traduction FTW.

_leech_ said:
So, what's been happening while i've been asleep? Is everyone still harping on France and ignoring everything else?

no, dont worry. all the other failed PAL launches have been being discussed as well.

3rdman

Sirolf said:
According to me , a french who speak french and understand english,Micromania estimates than it has sold 15 000 PS3 TODAY.:)
Comprehension and traduction FTW.
Babelfish:
Since the opening the gamers are always very numerous to come to withdraw their console which they had taken the care pre-to reserve. The 10 000ème console was sold at 12 noon 33. From here at this evening, Micromania provides that more than 15 000 consoles the stores will have left. A tendency which would owe perdurer during all the day of tomorrow, saturdays being traditionally a day of very strong multitude in the network.
Perhaps something is lost in translation.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Lagaff said:
Wow , well sony is in trouble .
I just hope they wont die from all that, and leave videogames, would be really bad if that happen for us as consummers
I dunno, Sega survived........ just.

Xzbeat

3rdman said:
Babelfish:

Perhaps something is lost in translation.
The article says that 15.000 were sold today (most of them are preorders pick-ups) . They're expecting to sell another 15.000 units tomorrow.

shpankey

not an idiot
i'm no native french speaker for sure so trust the native speaker first, but i've had some college classes. but if the key term you're looking at is the word "auront" in that sentence, then that is the irregular form of the verb: avoir [ie: to have] in "le temps future". the "ont" ending also makes it plural [logical sense they are talking about playstations]. anyhow, i think it basically translates to "will have".

edit: but the verb directly after it is "quitté" which is in the passé composé so i guess it's in the past.

a little confusing for me actually since it's mixing tenses. i guess our classes haven't got this far in french yet. :/

Sirolf

shpankey said:
i'm no native french speaker for sure so trust the native speaker first, but i've had some college classes. but if the key term you're looking at is the word "auront" in that sentence, then that is the irregular form of the verb: avoir [ie: to have] in "le temps future". the "ont" ending also makes it plural [logical sense they are talking about playstations]. anyhow, i think it basically translates to "will have".

edit: but the verb directly after it is "quitté" which is in the passé composé so i guess it's in the past.

a little confusing for me actually since it's mixing tenses. i guess our classes haven't got this far in french yet. :/

Well your french skills are quite good i can say :D

Sirolf said:
Well my phone was recharging at that time so no pics :(
i don't expect someone to believe me like that but i have seen what i have seen :)

It just sounds kinda weird that there were 30 to 40 people there waiting to buy one at 10:30. Was the shop not open yet, or had they been processing customers all morning and still had 30-40 people waiting? If it's the latter then there must have been massive demand in that town.

Sirolf

Pope Benedict XVI said:
It just sounds kinda weird that there were 30 to 40 people there waiting to buy one at 10:30. Was the shop not open yet, or had they been processing customers all morning and still had 30-40 people waiting? If it's the latter then there must have been massive demand in that town.

The shop was open since 9:30 as usual.But they were crazy slow at the cash register :lol

Ajioss

Pope Benedict XVI said:

No the PS3 had been launch at 00 am ... ergo no one bought it before:D

Kosma

Banned
Launch in the Netherlands:

First off props to Sony for meeting demand, the store where I work got 27 units for launch, 20 of which were pre-ordered. That is way more then both Nintendo and Microsoft had for launch (two times as much).

There were a couple of people waiting to pick the PS3 up when the store opened and a couple of more came in during the day. Most sold games were Motorstorm and Resistance (duh!) although someone got Tony Hawk doh! . The biggest problem of the day: Not enough HDMI cables and Sixaxis! Sony you should ship enough cables and controllers!

At the end of the day we sold 15 of the 27 units
. Reports from other stores suggest the same, just over half the stock sold. 6 pre-orders weren't picked up (yet?) and we only sold 1 non pre-ordered unit. So it's not a sell out or anything but Sony did sell the same amount as MS and Wii during launch or even a little more, plus we got stock left so should there be more demand we don't have to turn down customers.

On another note I really really like the European Blue Ray cases which are....transparent! Looks very hot, just like the machine itself.

PS: I had a "friend" who thought he was smart by buying two units, as he wanted to E-Bay one....jokes on him now laugh

PS2: Someone made me a member, thanks!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
sprocket said:
Well I guess things are not that bad. Sony bashing party is over?

xb.gif

The problem is Sony needs the Europe launch to be an absolute blockbuster, as opposed to "not that bad"

Branduil

schuelma said:
The problem is Sony needs the Europe launch to be an absolute blockbuster, as opposed to "not that bad"

Well, the real problem is that they have to demonstrate that they are capable of sustaining sales in at least one place in the world.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
oo Kosma oo said:
Launch in the Netherlands:

First off props to Sony for meeting demand, the store where I work got 27 units for launch, 20 of which were pre-ordered. That is way more then both Nintendo and Microsoft had for launch (two times as much).

There were a couple of people waiting to pick the PS3 up when the store opened and a couple of more came in during the day. Most sold games were Motorstorm and Resistance (duh!) although someone got Tony Hawk doh! . The biggest problem of the day: Not enough HDMI cables and Sixaxis! Sony you should ship enough cables and controllers!

At the end of the day we sold 15 of the 27 units
. Reports from other stores suggest the same, just over half the stock sold. 6 pre-orders weren't picked up (yet?) and we only sold 1 non pre-ordered unit. So it's not a sell out or anything but Sony did sell the same amount as MS and Wii during launch or even a little more, plus we got stock left so should there be more demand we don't have to turn down customers.

On another note I really really like the European Blue Ray cases which are....transparent! Looks very hot, just like the machine itself.

PS: I had a "friend" who thought he was smart by buying two units, as he wanted to E-Bay one....jokes on him now laugh

PS2: Someone made me a member, thanks!

Again watch noooobody read this good news. :lol

schuelma

mckmas8808 said:

It's not really all that good- for months Europe has been seen as Sony's last hope. Sony needs to CRUSH Nintendo and Microsoft in Europe, not sell the same amount of consoles at launch despite having a lot more consoles available.

mckmas8808 said:

At the end of the day we sold 15 of the 27 units. Reports from other stores suggest the same, just over half the stock sold. 6 pre-orders weren't picked up (yet?) and we only sold 1 non pre-ordered unit.

that's good news?

First people say that nobody will buy it in europe because of the price, then it becomes not enough people will buy it because of the price, then it becomes people could have bought them faster.
Some of you people must have really shitty lives to be able to only get your rocks off by spending more time on the interweb being negative ****s than actually playing games.

antiloop

If Europe had 1 mil at launch. That's almost double the amount 360 and Wii had together (300k+360k)..

Seems like it sold half of the units in one day in most places. Not that bad as long as it continues to sell.

Tonight in the news of the Dutch national television:

- Playstation launched: the gaming world back in balance now the big three have launched their consoles
- Launch at midnight: hardcore fans are there
- Wii outsider
- PS3 and X360 have realistic games, you could almost make a news episode with them (example of Gears of War with commentary about the war in Iraq :))
- High price of €599
- Mention of the bad PS3 sales in USA
- Wii might be the unexpected winner

Overal nice little news section, pretty objective, although they focused a little more on the Wii than the PS3 actually. :lol

Taurus

besada said:
That anyone thinks selling half the launch units is good news for Sony tells us everything we need to know.
loweredexpectations.jpg

antiloop said:
If Europe had 1 mil at launch. That's almost double the amount 360 and Wii had together (300k+360k)..

Seems like it sold half of the units in one day in most places. Not that bad as long as it continues to sell.
Like in US and Japan? Both launches were crazy with riots and stuff, but after fans and hardcore got what they wanted... who is going to buy it for that price? Same will happen in Europe, there's no question about it.

Juice

antiloop said:

Seems like it sold half of the units in one day in most places. That would mean a success.

Not necessarily. Wii launched with 360k, but with demand that far exceeded that number. Sony will, if they name numbers, will claim a near sell-out, but even if they pushed 500,000 to consumers it's still a very big red flag (since Wii demand was far in excess of 500,000 at launch in Europe).

OokieSpookie said:
First people say that nobody will buy it in europe because of the price, then it becomes not enough people will buy it because of the price, then it becomes people could have bought them faster.
Some of you people must have really shitty lives to be able to only get your rocks off by spending more time on the interweb being negative ****s than actually playing games.
First people say the PS3 will crush the competition and overtake X360 sales in matter of weeks, then it becomes the PS3 will have fairly good launch considering the price, then it becomes the lackluster launch is actually not that bad it's just that people/neogaf don't want Sony to succeed stupid fanboys.

Seriously, it works both ways.

J-Rzez

sprocket said:
Well I guess things are not that bad. Sony bashing party is over?

xb.gif

:lol You can always count on someone to make a hilarious gif of a hilarious situation here... and then for someone to make a hilarious gif out of a hilarious gif...

steinmc

antiloop said:
If Europe had 1 mil at launch.

That`s the question. Has Sony really shipped 1 million PS3 to Europe? Today on www.gamefront.de ( a German Newssite) Analyst Todd Greenwald of Nollenberger Capital Partners said, that Sony probably only shipped 500.000- 700.000 to Europe.

Evlar

Banned
OokieSpookie said:
Most of us didn't say that literally nobody would buy the PS3 in Europe. You're right, that's a ridiculous position... that few people at GAF (if anybody) would have stated seriously.

Now tell me... The system is four months later than the Wii and more than a year behind the 360. It started the day millions of units behind both in Europe. It is not supply constrained on day 1. It will end today millions of units behind both of its competitors, with stock still on the shelves. A system not selling out on launch day IS news, regardless how much stock you have. Now tell me, how is this good news for the PlayStation brand worldwide?

antiloop

steinmc said:
That`s the question. Has Sony really shipped 1 million PS3 to Europe? Today on www.gamefront.de ( a German Newssite) Analyst Todd Greenwald of Nollenberger Capital Partners said, that Sony probably only shipped 500.000- 700.000 to Europe.

I can't see why they wouldn't be able to ship 1 million though.

schuelma

antiloop said:
I can't see why they wouldn't be able to ship 1 million though.

The implication seems to be that they didn't think they were going to sell 1 million right away, hence they didn't ship a million.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Not to put a damper on the fun, but just because Sony shipped 1M consoles, doesn't mean they're going to sell them any time soon. For reference, they still have yet to hit that in Japan. Now, they could fly past 1M quickly in Europe, but no one will freaking know, because we get no numbers and based on the numbers we DO have, followed by the PR releases from Sony, we can't even remotely guesstimate from what they say.

sprocket

Banned
squatingyeti said:
Not to put a damper on the fun, but just because Sony shipped 1M consoles, doesn't mean they're going to sell them any time soon. For reference, they still have yet to hit that in Japan. Now, they could fly past 1M quickly in Europe, but no one will freaking know, because we get no numbers and based on the numbers we DO have, followed by the PR releases from Sony, we can't even remotely guesstimate from what they say.

doesn't matter as long as VG charts puts up some high numbers. As you can see from posting here, must people do not care about facts anyway.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
steinmc said:

Why on earth would they not be able to ship 1M?

Top Bottom