• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 launch event in France: guess which troll is banned until the first price drop

steinmc said:
That`s the question. Has Sony really shipped 1 million PS3 to Europe? Today on www.gamefront.de ( a German Newssite) Analyst Todd Greenwald of Nollenberger Capital Partners said, that Sony probably only shipped 500.000- 700.000 to Europe.

If Sony really did only ship 500k then they are in trouble. Big trouble.

I honestly think its more than that, given the fact that EVERY store seems to have had a big shipment.

Juice

squatingyeti said:
Why on earth would they not be able to ship 1M?

As is abundantly evident, everyone else on earth was well aware that they had no chance of selling 1m at launch. Why would they want to flood the market and cheapen their image?

Which it appears is what they've done, regardless of the total shipped tally.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
besada said:
That anyone thinks selling half the launch units is good news for Sony tells us everything we need to know.

6 of his preorders weren't even picked up yet. I mean what will those people do with their pre-order?

Joe211

sprocket said:
Well I guess things are not that bad. Sony bashing party is over?

xb.gif

OMG :lol

antiloop said:
If we won't have any numbers I see no point in having this conversation. Let's just play the games. :)

Sony's problem is that places like GAF aren`t talking about the games, because there is so little info. Are there any non multi-platform releases in the next couple of months?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The Innocent X said:
Sony's problem is that places like GAF aren`t talking about the games, because there is so little info. Are there any non multi-platform releases in the next couple of months?

Why the **** must we stick to non multi-platform releases? Just because the game will be available on the 360 doesn't mean it's not a PS3 game.

sprocket

Banned
lollerskates said:
death by degrees 2 mixed w/QTE events

maybe they should have give away free 360s instead of HDTV's they woulda sold more :lol

Could have worked. sell them 360s but add a clause where they can only replace faulty ones with ps3s. Sony would be in the lead in no time. :)

Heavenly Sword is a nice start. The game looks fan-tas-tic! But Sony needs a little more than that to counter the bad press. They need to release info, pics and video's from upcoming games to make up for the continuing stream of bad news. I guess they're going for the "we'll save everything up to drop a bomb on day x for extra effect"-strategy, but I think they need to do something NOW before it's too late.

mckmas8808 said:
Why the **** must we stick to non multi-platform releases? Just because the game will be available on the 360 doesn't mean it's not a PS3 game.

Multi platform games don`t sell PS3s. Since this is a sales thread, it seemed relevant

Souldriver said:
Heavenly Sword is a nice start. The game looks fan-tas-tic! But Sony needs a little more than that to counter the bad press. They need to release info, pics and video's from upcoming games to make up for the continuing stream of bad news. I guess they're going for the "we'll save everything up to drop a bomb on day x for extra effect"-strategy, but I think they need to do something NOW before it's too late.

i think they need to release info on new titles, the ones coming out soon really havent captured the interest of the masses, and thats what they need

heavenly sword, little big planet etc is nice, but they need to show something thats gonna sell the system to the average joe and not the arthouse/jcentric crowd

sprocket

Banned
The Innocent X said:
Multi platform games don`t sell PS3s. Since this is a sales thread, it seemed relevant

They will once devs start using getting to know the hardware better . Like oblivion being better the 360 version .

Its weird some people point out some 3rd party games going from the ps3 the 360 . But no one says anything about the ps3 getting all the XBOX games . GRAW ..Oblvion .. ect.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
lollerskates said:
they need to show something thats gonna sell the system to the average joe and not the arthouse/jcentric crowd
Do you really think the average joe will want to buy a 600€ console? In a world where DS, PSP, PS2, Wii and x360 exist? It's crystal clear now that the price is BIG issue, despite the PS3 being an awesome machine.

marc^o^ said:
Do you really think the average joe will want to buy a 600€ console? In a world where DS, PSP, PS2, Wii and x360 exist?

In Europe I could see it yes.

In the US though no. its not going to sell gangbusters at its current prices no matter what gets announced or even what good games get put on it

steinmc

sprocket said:
They will once devs start using getting to know the hardware better . Like oblivion being better the 360 version .

Oblivion is a bad example, because the PS3 Version appears 12 Months later than the Xbox360 Version. Even the developers of Oblivion said, that they were able to improve the PC3 Version because of this extra time.
And don`t forget, that the Update for the Xbox360 Version improves many things,too.

sprocket said:

Its weird some people point out some 3rd party games going from the ps3 the 360 . But no one says anything about the ps3 getting all the XBOX games . GRAW ..Oblvion .. ect.

Yeah it's weird that nobody is pointing out the mulitplatform games are getting released on multiple platforms, but people make an issue out of games that have always been Sony exclusives coming to 360. It's a good thing we have you to bring balance to the issue. I also agree that it's fantastic that Bethesda made Oblivion so much better looking on the PS3 considering the 360 version just came out.

pooteeweet said:
Yeah it's weird that nobody is pointing out the mulitplatform games are getting released on multiple platforms, but people make an issue out of games that have always been Sony exclusives coming to 360. It's a good thing we have you to bring balance to the issue. I also agree that it's fantastic that Bethesda made Oblivion so much better looking on the PS3 considering the 360 version just came out.

This is why I love GAF, not a hint of sarcasm. Well played sir!

antiloop

The Innocent X said:

ok, so if I say that the PS3 sold 600k units in day one without proof. what is the idea?

oh and multiplatform games sells consoles, you are just silly if you think otherwise. it won't sell 2 consoles for the same game though, not a chance.

LuCkymoON

Banned
sprocket said:

When did that happen?

StingerNLG said:
I think most of the gaming world missed that one, including most reviewers.

I think they were waiting for the shader upgrade to drop for the 360 and compare them at that point on a more level playing field. Whether or not you consider that valid is up to you. As it stands, the PS3 version looks much better than the 360 version.

ETA: Whoops. Just saw the update dropped today, so this might no longer be so drastically the case.

sprocket

Banned
StingerNLG said:
I think most of the gaming world missed that one, including most reviewers.

Umm it has only been review by 3 places so far and each give it high scores.

Beyond that it doesn't matter I have both versions and the ps3 is easily the best looking.

But lets not wreck this great party thread with actual game talk! :)

sprocket said:
Well I guess things are not that bad. Sony bashing party is over?

xb.gif

Fulladix.com??

Could someone make an avatar sized version of this with a transparent background? I know you'd only see a small portion of the boat at a time but that's fine.

If so you'd be my hero....

CorwinB

CorwinB said:
A big shipment arrived at the Virgin Megastore at La Defense (business center near Paris) yesterday. If it goes like previous shipments, it won't be there this evening, though (will post an update if I've time to check this evening).

Small update on French situation (near Paris) :
- the big Wii shipment mentioned in the previous post was gone in less than 24 hours.
- I saw quite a few people buying PS3s, but definitely no big crowd (PSP and 360 launches were much more chaotic, for example, not to mention Wii)
- the Micromania (store chain mentioned in previous posts) where I go was very happy with PS3 sales (I talked with the managed who mentioned a "very big day"), although the discourse sounded a bit prepared as in "Yes sir it's expensive, but we have been selling those all day long. Do you want one ? We have some left without preorders." (he basically had that talk at phone while I was paying my copy of STALKER).

All in one, it seems sales were pretty decent, with ample supply, and mostly preorders. The problem is the PR nightmare that was the semi-failed launch event (unlike the monstruous free advertising they got with the riot at the PS2 launch). Sony France of course needs the sales, but really could use some positive hype now.

sprocket

Banned
brokenwatch said:
Fulladix.com??

Could someone make an avatar sized version of this with a transparent background? I know you'd only see a small portion of the boat at a time but that's fine.

If so you'd be my hero....

I could do it since I made the gif and still have the soruce material.

for a measly $10 million! or buy 5 ps3s.

Uncle

sprocket said:

So you are expecting lots of timed exclusives for the X360?

sprocket

Banned
steinmc said:
You should have a look at the updated Xbox360 Version. :)

I got it . its still missing a lot of graphical effects the ps3 version has . The detail map on far away textures isn't there. the saturated colors is not nearly as good. the new environment effects like the dust clouds in the sewers are not there.

sprocket said:
Umm it has only been review by 3 places so far and each give it high scores.

Beyond that it doesn't matter I have both versions and the ps3 is easily the best looking.

But lets not wreck this great party thread with actual game talk! :)

Please link to one of those reviews that called the PS3 version "much better looking". So far I'm reading if you've played it already there's no reason to re-buy it.

Now that the shader fix appears to be out, let's see some comparison screens.

Yeah, sorry for the game talk. :)

steinmc

sprocket said:
Thats not the 360 version then . either that or mine is screwed up ?

Both the PC and Xbox360 Version of Oblivion look like the second picture after you have downloaded the update. I`m afraid your one is screwed up. Does your Xbox360 still function well. Because after an update for Call of Dutymy Xbox360 had three rings of death. :-(

Top Bottom