• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 launch event in France: guess which troll is banned until the first price drop

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
cookbook.jpg

v1cious said:
except even if FFXIII goes multiplatform, their main demographic is still Japan... so they will still clean up

Main demographic is Japan, perfectly pointed.

And that's why it's even more logical to produce a Wii's FFXIII (WAAAAAAAAYYY cheaper to produce than a PS3's FFXIII) and sell like hotcakes in Japan than produce on the PS3.

360 exclusive is 100% not possible for FF due to 360's installed base on Japan and FF sales in US alone.

Making FFXIII a multi (360 and PS3) will not resolve the problem of having a high cost to produce the PS3 and 360 version and both consoles having a small installed base in Japan and the franchise sales in US alone (where 360's version could be of help) not being enough to pay the cost.

I still see FFXIII going to Wii exclusive (like DQ went to DS) if PS3 sales do not improve SERIOUSLY in Europe, Japan and US in the next 6 months.

The game has already been in production for PS3, they are not going to can the project they have likely already put millions into, and even in the worse scenerio PS3 will still have around 3-4 million consoles sold by the end of 2008 in Japan.

Be realistic man.

My Chemical Mouse said:
The game has already been in production for PS3, they are not going to can the project they have likely already put millions into, and even in the worse scenerio PS3 will still have around 3-4 million consoles sold by the end of 2008 in Japan.

Be realistic man.

These are my thoughts on the matter as well, though I think your PS3 numbers are a little high on the upper end.

v1cious

Banned
Liberty City King said:
Main demographic is Japan, perfectly pointed.

And that's why it's even more logical to produce a Wii's FFXIII (WAAAAAAAAYYY cheaper to produce than a PS3's FFXIII) and sell like hotcakes in Japan than produce on the PS3.

360 exclusive is 100% not possible for FF due to 360's installed base on Japan and FF sales in US alone.

Making FFXIII a multi (360 and PS3) will not resolve the problem of having a high cost to produce the PS3 and 360 version and both consoles having a small installed base in Japan and the franchise sales in US alone (where 360's version could be of help) not being enough to pay the cost.

I still see FFXIII going to Wii exclusive (like DQ went to DS) if PS3 sales do not improve SERIOUSLY in Europe, Japan and US in the next 6 months.

ok seriously, i can see Dragon Quest, as Yuji whorii has pretty much shown what he thinks of artistic integrity... but you're doing lines if you think FFXIII will become a Wii exclusive. not only would it be really stupid to completely start over after they spent so much money, but technology is the main reason the series took off after VII. i really doubt they're gonna completely gimp the series. i'm sure the Wii will get it's own game, but it sure as hell won't be a major sequel, let alone one already in development.

LM4sure

Banned
the final fantasy games will most likely go multiplatform. they have to. the ps3 cannot hold this franchise any longer. my bet is it'll go to the wii and 360 (us only)

The head of Sony France said yesterday that FFXIII is NOT a PS3 exclusive at the moment, that negotiations are still open.

WTF !!!

He said "exclusivity is in discussion".
If tou want FFXIII to be multi platform, you'll spin that into "PS3 HASN'T THE EXCLUSIVITY ANYMORE SONY IS DOOMED!!!1111!!§§§§!"
If you want FFXIII to be exclusive you'll spin that into "FFXIII IS STILL EXCLUSIVE BECAUSE THEY'LL NOT BE DISCUSSION ABOUT EXCLUSIVITY IF THERE IS NO EXCLUSIVITY LOL !!!"

That s*** was total non news.

bigswords

Liberty City King said:

That is why Square is getting UE 3.0 as the engine is multi-platform (PC, xbox360 , PS3) so that they themselves can maxmise profit.

FFXIII will still come on the PS3 (it's been in production for quite some time doubt they will just drop it), the question is will the other platforms get it as well.

This generation is tending towards more multi-platform as developers themselves wish to give themselves a as broad spectrum of users as possible.

It's best you give a link where the French Head of Sony that FFXIII is going non exclusive..
Edit: ** Nvm the poster above already gave me the answer :) **

Me_Marcadet said:
WTF !!!

He says "exclusivity is in discussion".
If tou want FFXIII to be multi plateform, you'll spin that into "PS3 HASN'T THE EXCLUSIVITY ANYMORE SONY IS DOOMED!!!1111!!§§§§!"
If you want FFXIII to be exclusive you'll spin that into "FFXIII IS STILL EXCLUSIVE BECAUSE THEY'LL NOT BE DISCUSSION ABOUT EXCLUSIVITY IF THERE IS NO EXCLUSIVITY LOL !!!"

That s*** was total non news.
Well, saying that exclusivity is under discussion means that it currently isn't exclusive. I see no reason, given recent developments, to doubt the game's future as a multiplatform one.

xabre

Banned
FF7 was once an N64 title.

There is most certainly precedant for the series to jump ship. And to be perfectly honest, if there isn't a main, numbered FF title on Wii, square-Enix need their collective heads read.

NinSoX

Banned
I can see FF13 going multi but I can't see faithful versions on other platforms since Square spent a ton of time tweaking the White Engine to efficiently utilize the Cell.

MightyHedgehog said:
Well, saying that exclusivity is under discussion means that it currently isn't exclusive. I see no reason, given recent developments, to doubt the game's future as a multiplatform one.

Yeah because exclusivitys are immuable things who never change...
An exclusivity is still discussed even after the release of the game.

v1cious

Banned
wow, you people...

have you considered that Sony and SE are counting on FFXIII to bring people to the console? why do you think they're creating different games for different platforms? they're covered no matter what they do. they probably have a new ip planned for the 360.

xabre said:
FF7 was once an N64 title.

There is most certainly precedant for the series to jump ship. And to be perfectly honest, if there isn't a main, numbered FF title on Wii, square-Enix need their collective heads read.

FFVII was completely impossible on the N64 as they envisioned it.

The same is true of FFXIII and the Wii. It simply can't do it.

Remember that Square just bought a license for Unreal 3 engine...

What happened to their proprietary engine that was being developed for FFXIII's PS3 version?

Maybe canned? It's all speculation at this point. One can't say for sure FFXIII is gonna be on PS3 or the contrary.

Gotta wait a little bit more and if PS3 sales picks up a LOT it will make it easier to guess.

Me_Marcadet said:
Yeah because exclusivitys are immuable things who never change...
An exclusivity is still discussed even after the release of the game.
Well, the definition of 'exclusivity' has relatively recently changed from what it used to mean in console land. So, yeah, the terms of exclusivity can change. And there is no doubt that discussion can occur after the release of a title, too.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
v1cious said:
wow, you people...

have you considered that Sony and SE are counting on FFXIII to bring people to the console? why do you think they're creating different games for different platforms? they're covered no matter what they do. they probably have a new ip planned for the 360.

Well, obviously they're hoping it will bring people to the console, which it will no doubt do. But SE is in the business to make a PROFIT, you have to admit that their number crunchers have probably looked at scenarios to see how they can maximize profitability. What company wouldn't do something this basic?

big_z

My Arms Your Hearse said:

FF13 on wii wont happen, too much has been put into that game already to downgrade. FF14 on the other hand might... i wouldn't mind a ff with prerendered backgrounds again if sqaurenix did high quality stuff like we got in RE0.

wsippel

Banned
My Arms Your Hearse said:

Yeah, so what do you think they'll do (worst case scenario)? Release it on PS3 anyway, taking a huge loss? Move it to Xbox360, and piss off all the Japanese fans? Release on both systems, and make money, but lose/ ignore lots of Japanese fans (and merchandise opportunities)? Their best option might be to rethink their vision...

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
My Chemical Mouse said:
I think this thread was meant to keep all the trolls out of the official PAL PS3 release thread, it has worked to perfection.
Yep. I love having 'em all in one spot. Makes my job easier. :D

nobody expected DQIX to go to the DS is all im gonna say.

I also predict a thread similar to that DQIX DS one in the next 12 months.

Are these vague enough?

chibcicylist said:
nobody expected DQIX to go to the DS is all im gonna say.

I also predict a thread similar to that DQIX DS one in the next 12 months.

Are these vague enough?

were they knee deep in development for dqix on another system before they decided to switch it up and announce it for the ds?

some of you nintendo fans are really reaching in regards to the whole ffxiii for wii shit

Blunty

In some ways this is a good thing for me. I'm not planning on gettin my PS3 until later this year when the Metal Gear Solids and Ratchet and Clanks start coming. If the console really is bombing this bad, surely Sony has to do something about it (ie, price cut). Though I guess expecting to see one before the end of this year is very optimistic.

Surfheart

v1cious said:
ok seriously, i can see Dragon Quest, as Yuji whorii has pretty much shown what he thinks of artistic integrity... but you're doing lines if you think FFXIII will become a Wii exclusive. not only would it be really stupid to completely start over after they spent so much money, but technology is the main reason the series took off after VII. i really doubt they're gonna completely gimp the series. i'm sure the Wii will get it's own game, but it sure as hell won't be a major sequel, let alone one already in development.

Are you serious? FFXII looks Amazing on PS2. Arguably, the Wii is quite a bit more powerful than a PS2.

WickedLaharl said:
were they knee deep in development for dqix before they decided to announce it for the ds?

some of you nintendo fans are really reaching in regards to the whole ffxiii for wii shit

I never said nothing!

ITA84

MickeyKnox said:
Especially when you already have such an impressive engine on the PS2 that you unfortunately only got to use once.

Wasn't that engine similar to the one for VP: Silmeria?

wsippel

Banned
WickedLaharl said:
were they knee deep in development for dqix before they decided to announce it for the ds?

Just playing devils advocate: They are knee deep in developing scenario and design for at least six games. Platform-independent development. It wouldn't be a huge problem to move FFXIII to Wii. Sure, they'll lose some time and money, but development on Wii is faster and cheaper, and they could potentially sell more copies. And they could still use the White Engine for Versus or some other PS3-exclusive FFXIII-spinoff...

Another option might be to do a really big FFXIII-RPG for Wii, exclusive, and give the current FFXIII a subtitle as well. That way, there's no "mainline" FFXIII, the Wii- and PS3-versions are equally important.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
v1cious said:
ok seriously, i can see Dragon Quest, as Yuji whorii has pretty much shown what he thinks of artistic integrity...
Dude, if Square cared about the kind of "artistic integrity" you're talking about (which is the pixel-pushing ability of the machine, nothing artistic in that) they'd never have used the PS2 and they'd be going PC all the way through.

Alas, last time I checked this was not the case.
v1cious said:
wow, you people...

have you considered that Sony and SE are counting on FFXIII to bring people to the console?
Wrong, only Sony is, SE is in the business of selling games not consoles.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
MightyHedgehog said:
I'm callin' it right here: FFXIII will go multiplatform. No doubt about it. While it's guaranteed to hit the PS3, it will also go to Windows and, very possibly, X360.

Make fun of me later if I'm wrong.

I am going to call it now and say that Super Paper Mario will go multi-platform when it hits cell-phones 30 years from now.

Kuroyume

Banned
Liberty City King said:
Sony is i HUMONGOUS TEXAS SIZE trouble if Europe does not become the saviors of PS3's doom.

No installed base, no exclusives and the probability of games becoming 360's exclusive grows.

I'm already sniffing FFXIII NOT coming to PS3...

:lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
big_z said:
FF13 on wii wont happen, too much has been put into that game already to downgrade. FF14 on the other hand might... i wouldn't mind a ff with prerendered backgrounds again if sqaurenix did high quality stuff like we got in RE0.
Yeah, a massive step back would be awesome. :rolleyes:

I can see a version of Fabula Nova Crystalis appearing on all formats, DS, PSP, PS3, 360, Wii. It would tie in with SEs polymorphic strategy. PS3 will obviously get the 'main one' exclusively, and 360 will not get any exclusive, merely ports. The Wii will get a ported version of the PSP game [LOL].

Top Bottom