• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 pricing in Europe

Mojojo

New info , as George Fornay President of Sony Computer EntertainmentFrance and Vice president of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe was interviewed on french radio yesterday, Europe 1 : "PS3 will be available around 500 €, in the range of 499-599 €"

Source Playfrance

Stryder

Mojojo said:
New info , as George Fornay President of Sony Computer EntertainmentFrance and Vice president of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe was interviewed on french radio yesterday, Europe 1 : "PS3 will be available around 500 €, in the range of 499-599 €"

Source Playfrance
Hah, well which is it? 500 euro or in the range of 499 to 599, bit of a difference.

If true, we will have a difference of at least 150 Euros between 360 and PS3 (I expect 360 price to get cut at least at 349 Euros by xmas), conidering standard SKUs. Very interesting, I'm wondering what the consumers will think about such difference.

Edit: if there'll be a premium SKU at 599, like someone thinks, the difference in price will be of 250 Euros! It seems a little exaggerated to me...

Spider_Jerusalem said:
If true, we will have a difference of at least 150 Euros between 360 and PS3 (I expect 360 price to get cut at least at 349 Euros by xmas), conidering standard SKUs. Very interesting, I'm wondering what the consumers will think about such difference.

They'll work more hours, like they're supposed to.

Sirolf

..then it will be the end for the Playstation era in France..WTF?500-600 € for a game device which can play movies at resolutions for inexistants (or very very pricey) TV sets here ?:lol :lol :lol

meppi

pfff that's way too much for me purely on principle. I would have gone as high as 400-450 tops.

I'm not going to plunk down 500-600€ for a system when I'll be able to pick it up 1-2 years later for barely half the price.

Guess it'll be just a rev for me this year (if it does get released over here in 2005) and lots and lots of games for my older systems.

I was able to held off getting a PS2 until Virtua Fighter 4 was released so hopefully I'll be able to do it this time too. Very disappointing news though.

Ceb

Hardly surprising, considering the PS2 cost about the same when it launched in the EU. €599 with HDD is... merely OK in my eyes. I'll probably get it right away, but it'll hurt.

Does this mean the US will be paying $500-$600 for it?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
This is the same stunt MS tried to pull with xbox, "its better, pay more", it'll be interesting to see if Sonys brand name can fool Europe once again or if the xbox 'flop ohfuck lower price quick' model will hold.

ram

afterall the psp was cheaper than many thought and i can not believe, sony will go over 500 €. wait and see.

Kroole

If this means that the US will get the HW cheaper (ie Europe gets to pay for the US prices again) then I will be quite pissed. I will gladly buy a X360 instead if that happens.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
499 without hdd and 599 with it?

It sounds so high...599€ would be 735$ and 86200Y...

No if they do what they always do then it's $599 or even less. People in Europe always pay a lot more.

Shompola

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
It'll cost alot in Europe so they can make it cheaper for people in the US. Thanks Europe.

If it is anything like the PS2 launch, expect a 1 euro = 1 USD conversion... 500USD-600USD.

Waku

Scalemail Ted said:
How much is that in american pikmins?

The equivalent of rougthly 6,500 Dr. Kawashima Heads.
kawa3oy.png

hahahax

Banned
If Sony encourages region-free games and simultaneous releases for us/pal this wouldn't be that bad.. though, I shudder to think of the pricing a modded PS3 would fetch. €660 for a chipped PS2 back in 2001.

Henk_Glimlach said:
No if they do what they always do then it's $599 or even less. People in Europe always pay a lot more.
Thats what I'm trying to say. I know they won't use direct exchange.

If Japan pays 50000Y and we pay 86200Y...hey Sony don't bring too many of them.

D3VI0US

Well they can charge whatever they want at launch, it's once supply catches up that the price really becomes an issue and it will definately have an effect on demand. Even $500 would be too steep for me unless they had absolutely irresistable games at launch which for me they won't, I'll probably get one when DMC4 drops. Sucks though as PS3 is my most anticipated next gen console but I can only afford one this year and at $500ish for launch hardware PS3 ain't gonna be it.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I need to do homework and get ready for a test, but I just have to be on the internet today.

Kroole

Shompola said:
If it is anything like the PS2 launch, expect a 1 euro = 1 USD conversion... 500USD-600USD.

If it's anything like the PS2 launch, the conversion rate will be way higher than 1USD = 1 euro.

Example: PS2 US 299$ PS2 Sweden 4500 SEK 10 SEK > 1 USD

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
what does the good version of X360 cost right now?
edit: I'm not crazy there are 2 threads

300 euro for core pack, 400 euro for premum. Including tax of course.

I think Sony is gonna do worse this time out.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Didn't some Sony Europe dude say that PSP would be ridiculously expensive as well? Anyway, it sounds like a lot but who knows what Sony has planned. It plays Blu-ray Discs, it has a HDD, it runs Linux... maybe Sony won't market it as a traditional console. Personally I'm hoping it runs a full Linux package. Then I'd probably get a PS3 instead of a new PC.

Ceb

Kroole said:
If it's anything like the PS2 launch, the conversion rate will be way higher than 1USD = 1 euro.

Example: PS2 US 299$ PS2 Sweden 4500 SEK 10 SEK > 1 USD

Fluctuating currencies + VAT. The real-world difference isn't humongous.

Fucking hell!

That's too much, people over here thought the 360 was quite expensive at 280quid (which for the tech inside it's not too bad) and if the ps3 releases at 350 or more then microsoft might be in a good position to steal sales.

Didn't see this thread, pasting my response from the other:

Holy crappingston gates, I'm in Spain right now and I know the spaniards won't take that price!

By the way, with a direct translation of price to American dollars (and I realize that many times the price is lower in American dollars), this converts to:

Between 611.503 USDollars and 734.048 USDollars? What is Sony smoking?

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
It's all a matter of perspective. €500 is quite a lot for a console but it really isn't vey much for a BRD player. Who knows how Sony will market this thing.

cybamerc said:
It's all a matter of perspective. €500 is quite a lot for a console but it really isn't vey much for a BRD player. Who knows how Sony will market this thing.

Do people really want BRD players? I'm not knowledged on the subject

Pug

If it is really that price in Euro's you will be looking at £399.99 to £480 in the UK. The biggest problem for BR players when they eventually hit the market is most people won't be able to make us of them (no HD TV) and the fact that the DVD market is so well established, why buy a film for say £20 when you can get it for £6.99? Another thing to take into account the DVD market in the UK took years to take off.

Agent Icebeezy

Pug said:
If it is really that price in Euro's you will be looking at £399.99 to £480 in the UK.

Bear minimum at the 399.99 price, in USD, that's 700 bucks.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I feel like I've stepped back into the mid-90's, with the 3DO and CD-I and all those overpriced things flopping back and forth.

"IT'S A NEW ERA OF GAMING. THESE ARE MULTIMEDIA DEVICES. THESE ARE REASONABLE PRICES!"

Yeah, that worked out well.

Agent Icebeezy

syllogism said:
You people doing USD conversions are dumb
Please explain why, and this is a serious question. Granted they might go low in the US, but I can't see it going that much lower.

Top Bottom