• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 pricing in Europe

TheKingsCrown said:
Do people really want BRD players? I'm not knowledged on the subject

Personally, I don't think people are overly fucked about them. The techy nerds are all for it, but the average consumer doesn't want to be replacing their DVD collection just yet - Recordable DVD players don't even have a place in everyone's home yet, and the average consumer isn't going to be fussed about upgrading when DVD itself has only been truly mainstream in the last 7 or 8 years.

Blu-Ray will end up a curio like VCD - You'll get a solid number of films available and a reasonable number of consumers, but it's all a generation too early. Come back with a new medium aimed at the mass market in, say, 10 - 15 years and you'll be fine.

syllogism said:
You people doing USD conversions are dumb

I was just doing it for comparison purposes. Either way, if it hits 499 Euro I would expect 499 Dollars. That's extreme no matter how you look at it....it better have some damn nice game if they want me to purchase it. I already have a computer and don't give a sh*t about Blu-Ray (as of right now).

syllogism

Agent Icebeezy said:
Please explain why, and this is a serious question. Granted they might go low in the US, but I can't see it going that much lower.

PS2 games cost 60€ here, so I suppose you are paying 74$ over there

edit: 499€/499$ is possible, but I don't see them going higher than that

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I don't believe this news. Even for a Playstation product it would be a disaster.
Or maybe they plan on doing quick money with the few (but enough considering it's a worldwide launch) that can afford to pay all this just to get it in 2006, then drop the price massively once the production is good enough. The mass market simply won't pay more than 400 euros for "just a toy". Heck, more than 350 euros is already difficult.

Scalemail Ted said:
Oh, good Im safe.

So 6500 Dr. Kawashima Heads = 5,000 european pikmin?

edit: man its hard keeping up wth all these exchange rates. :-/

It fluctuates with the weather. European pikmin are especially light and unstable.

Kroole

Ceb said:
Fluctuating currencies + VAT. The real-world difference isn't humongous.

That's one part of it but not all. Playstation 2 was way more over-priced in Europe than for example Sega's and Nintendo's consoles released under similar currency conversion rates.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Yeah the Euro price tag seems about right. Expecting the PS3 price range over here to be at the very least AUS$750 on launch. The highest would probably be $900. Xbox 360 over here atm is $699-650 depending on who you go to.

Elios83

I don't believe this because the PS3 at that price would be completely out or market,of course he doesn't know the price as Kutaragi hasn't made a decision yet and they're analyzing all the costs and possibilities.Probably he's just shooting high,his comments were more like "Look,more than this it's impossible it will be priced".

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Agent Icebeezy said:
Please explain why, and this is a serious question. Granted they might go low in the US, but I can't see it going that much lower.

The worst you could expect would be a 1:1 euro/dollar conversion. That was the case with PSP. You would cry if you saw converted euro prices to dollars and thought that this is what you were going to pay. Some 360 games retail here for over $100 - I don't think you're paying that much.

Anyway, I might be confusing you with another poster, but weren't you the one with a shopping list as long as my arm at 360's launch? I figured you'd be about the last to shirk at a high PS3 price :p

TheDrowningMan said:
but the average consumer doesn't want to be replacing their DVD collection just yet

Sigh. You don't have to replace anything to jump on the Blu-ray bandwagon.

Anyway, on a general note, I'd be prepared to fork over €600 if I was getting a HDD with that. But I honestly don't think this guy knows the price yet.

Ogni-XR21

I won't pay more than 299 € (retard paks don't count) for any next gen console!
And I don't care about blue ray either...

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
man, even if they're going with the 1 euro = 1 dollar scale, $500 is too much. well, i'd gladly pay it, but i think it'd seriously endanger their marketshare. even the $400 ms is charging for the 360 premium is new territory.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
gofreak said:
Anyway, I might be confusing you with another poster, but weren't you the one with a shopping list as long as my arm at 360's launch? I figured you'd be about the last to shirk at a high PS3 price :p

He is I and I am him. Nonetheless, that is quite high for a console. People will see the Playstation name, then that is what they will go off of. As of now, I made my limit $500. If it comes out at that price, I will get it. I still need to get the Rev this year as well.

TheDrowningMan said:
Personally, I don't think people are overly fucked about them. The techy nerds are all for it, but the average consumer doesn't want to be replacing their DVD collection just yet

PS3 will do the same as a 299 euro dvd player with upscaler. It will be able to upscale everything(games/DVD's) to an HD res.

drohne said:
man, even if they're going with the 1 euro = 1 dollar scale, $500 is too much. well, i'd gladly pay it, but i think it'd seriously endanger their marketshare. even the $400 ms is charging for the 360 premium is new territory.

If this price is true then I seriousy think theyre trying to divide the casual and the hardcore markets at launch. They keep the PStwo around at a cheap pricepoint along with continual steady support aimed for casuals. Then market the PS3 to the hardcore who would most definately adopt it. Once manufacturing is made cheaper then theyll slash the prices down til its more casual price market friendly.

Shinobi

DavidDayton said:
I feel like I've stepped back into the mid-90's, with the 3DO and CD-I and all those overpriced things flopping back and forth.

"IT'S A NEW ERA OF GAMING. THESE ARE MULTIMEDIA DEVICES. THESE ARE REASONABLE PRICES!"

Yeah, that worked out well.

:lol

Not sure we'll know what PS3's price is for a while yet. I doubt E3 will shed any light...May's just far too soon to price something as cutting edge as the PS3. Then again if it costs 500 bucks or more they'll want to state that at E3, just so it'll give people extra time to save up. :lol

PjotrStroganov said:
PS3 will do the same as a 299 euro dvd player with upscaler. It will be able to upscale everything(games/DVD's) to an HD res.

Yes, but I don't think the average consumer really cares. Whereas the PS2 had the unique selling point of being the first console to also play DVDs - at a time not everybody had a DVD player - that isn't the case here....most people aren't going to be fussed about replacing their existing DVD players and therefore won't buy a PS3 for that purpose.

Zabojnik

Heh. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember Phil Harrison or someone else from Sony talking about something that sounded like 'just prices, european gamers won't get screwed this time around'. Not that I believed, anyway. :)

Going by this suggested price, I'm going to guess the PS3 has a very good chance of launching in Australia for more than $699 (PS1 and PS2 both launched for $699) and that's too much for me.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Agent Icebeezy said:
He is I and I am him. Nonetheless, that is quite high for a console. People will see the Playstation name, then that is what they will go off of. As of now, I made my limit $500. If it comes out at that price, I will get it. I still need to get the Rev this year as well.

I think you probably will be able to get PS3 for $500, but I'd wonder if you'd get the HDD with that. I said it after the Business Meeting, but I think you'd be doing exceptionally well to walk out of a store with a PS3 & HDD for $500. IMO. I'm putting aside €600 and hoping there'll be some change out of that for more controllers or something, but I won't bank on it.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Scalemail Ted said:
Oh, good Im safe.

So 6500 Dr. Kawashima Heads = 5,000 european pikmin?

:lol :lol :lol

reading GAF during meetings is seriously embarrasing... presenters think I'm laughing at them

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
500 - 600 euros? Damn, Revolution could end up less than 50% that price! PS3 is entering Sega Saturn territory (iirc it retailed for £300 - £400 on launch in the UK)

Brosa

Great that so many seem reluctant to pay this price, the bigger chance for to get one at launch! :D

Price is no object

Gessle

No matter how high the price of the PS3 is, it will sell out when it launches in Europe. It happened with the PS2 when it launched at 450 €, and it will be the same for PS3.

Anyway, for me X360 + Revolution >>>>> PS3

quetz67

Banned
499 Euros will be fine as this is Blu Ray and upscaling DVD Player for me too. $599 would make me wait for price war #1 (probably a month after launch)

Ponn

Banned
Price for US launch will be $499.99 with 60GB HDD. Translate that however you will into other countries. I think it will still do fairly well for awhile after launch at that price too as long as Sony advertises and shows the public exactly how much they are getting in the package.

- 60GB HDD
- WiFi out of the box
- Blu-ray player
- PSone and PStwo BC
- free online
- 4D
- Red Pikmin processing power

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Gessle said:
No matter how high the price of the PS3 is, it will sell out when it launches in Europe. It happened with the PS2 when it launched at 450 €, and it will be the same for PS3.

Anyway, for me X360 + Revolution >>>>> PS3
or in terms of $$ x360 + Revolution = PS3

heh, if that happens, I will laugh.

maxmars

Wit that price point, the thing must really double as something else, and do it well.
E.g. come with Linux preloaded and be a good replacement of a PC for internet / soho use, or definitive multimedia hub w/possibility to record TV shows and stuff.

maxmars said:
Wit that price point, the thing must really double as something else, and do it well.
E.g. come with Linux preloaded and be a good replacement of a PC for internet / soho use, or definitive multimedia hub w/possibility to record TV shows and stuff.

Agreed.

New well powered desktop? (Well powered for the AVERAGE COnsumer) or New PS3?

For me its still desktop.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I don't believe it, but Sony could try it and people would still buy it, just in fewer numbers. Europe loves Sony's schlong, is that simple.

Heck, I'd buy 10 and put them on ebay for €1000, and I know that I'd sell them all.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
TheKingsCrown said:
Do people really want BRD players? I'm not knowledged on the subject
At this point most people don't even know what it is but once the big push starts who knows what'll happen. Obviously it's up to Sony to convince people that they need one.

TheDrowningMan said:
Personally, I don't think people are overly fucked about them. The techy nerds are all for it, but the average consumer doesn't want to be replacing their DVD collection just yet - Recordable DVD players don't even have a place in everyone's home yet, and the average consumer isn't going to be fussed about upgrading when DVD itself has only been truly mainstream in the last 7 or 8 years.

Blu-Ray will end up a curio like VCD - You'll get a solid number of films available and a reasonable number of consumers, but it's all a generation too early. Come back with a new medium aimed at the mass market in, say, 10 - 15 years and you'll be fine.

well you obviously wouldn't give a damn about blu ray if you don't have an HDTV but if you do, most likely you want something that'll let you watch movies that take full advantage of your set.

Forsete

Gold Member
Wax Free Vanilla said:
Yeah, I will wait until Kuturagi announces the final pricing of the system before commenting :D

As should we all. :)

Kutaragi is very secretive when it comes to the final pricing of his product.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/29/news_6111820.html

“As with the PlayStation and PlayStation 2, the PSP's price wasn’t decided until the very last moment,“ said Kutaragi. “The price was kept a secret even to the company. I didn’t even reveal it to my wife. And, so, there were actually surprised people inside of Sony.”
- 2 months before the Japanese release.

Remember the PS3 has to be up to date for at least 5 years. This means that in 5 years, the gamecontent still has to fit on the disk. Not only the movies are the reason for including BD in the console.

RaijinFY

If the price is confirmed, there's no way in hell i'm going to pay that price. In that case, I will continue with my PSTwo for at least one year. Ill check out the Revolution but otherwise...

By the way, let all realize that this could totally be a Sony psychological stunt in order to get European and U.S. users to think the price is insane so that when they reveal the final price (probably lower) people will "think" they are getting some kind of deal. So it might not contain any indication about the final price.

RaijinFY

TheKingsCrown said:
By the way, let all realize that this could totally be a Sony psychological stunt in order to get European and U.S. users to think the price is insane so that when they reveal the final price people will "think" they are getting some kind of deal. So it might not contain any indication about the final price.

Maybe, but I have a hard time believing it. :D

Top Bottom