• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 pricing in Europe

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
The way I see it the Playataion 2 was $299.99 with no storage media and a DVD player. Add a memory card, and the system is at $330-$340. The PS3 will possibly have a 60GB Hard Drive, a high-definition movie player, built-in wireless, and other possible features like SACD playback. $499.99 is not a bad deal for all that if you want it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
All this discussion about price is meaningless since we don't have a very important part of the equation in considering whether the Ps3 will be worth it's price..........the launch games.

What will drive the Ps3 sales will NOT be blue ray, wi-fi, the HDD, or their online infrastructure. It'll be the games, and if the games are good, it'll combine with the other factors to make the Ps3 an attractive item even at a high price point ($500). If the games are underwhelming (like the 360 launch games), then the tech aspects enough won't make it an attractive item to the majority of gamers.

I want blue ray, too, but I'm not buying a Ps3 unless the games deliver.

maxmars

DenogginizerOS said:
The way I see it the Playataion 2 was $299.99 with no storage media and a DVD player. Add a memory card, and the system is at $330-$340. The PS3 will possibly have a 60GB Hard Drive, a high-definition movie player, built-in wireless, and other possible features like SACD playback. $499.99 is not a bad deal for all that if you want it.

The problem, to me, is the reason behind the purchase. I don't see myself spending €500 to buy a console, unless that console does also something else (that I want of course -- BR movie playing does not interest me, internet/home computing does).

The way I see it, they should really put it out with Linux preinstalled and preconfigured.
The console is already a beast in performance, just stick a mouse+keyboard on it and let it replace a PC, that in most homes is only used for internet+office (and nowadays Linux does that very well).

Sony could put the PS3 PC OS in the open source and let the community do all/most of the work for them (see SuSE, RedHat, etc).. It's a win/win situation (ok bad pun sorry).

GamerZero

Blu-ray is the reason you won't see PS3 more then $499 maybe lower, Sony wants Blu-ray in as many homes as possible and pricing the PS3 at $499 or lower will ensure that Blu-ray will become the accepted next generation DVD format and not HD-DVD.

GamerZero said:
Blu-ray is the reason you won't see PS3 more then $499 maybe lower, Sony wants Blu-ray in as many homes as possible and pricing the PS3 at $499 or lower will ensure that Blu-ray will become the accepted next generation DVD format and not HD-DVD.

I don't know about that. I think that Blu-Ray will be the thing that KEEPS SON¥ from being able to keep the PS3's price cheap. Blu-Ray in PS3 isn't like DVD in PS2. When PS2 came out DVD had been on the market for years and PS2 was introduced as one of the first cheaper DVD players.

When PS3 comes out Blu-Ray would have been on the market for only a few months. There is no way they could scale the price down significantly in only a few months time or risk being sued for dumping. SON¥'s stand-alone Blu-Ray player is around $1000. Why would the PS3, a system that does pretty much everthing their standalone player does + games (PS 1,2&3), wi-fi, bluetooth, AND a 60 GB HDD for $400? That would be amazing, but unlikely. I suppose we'll all find out soon enough.

The Dark One

GamerZero

I'm still thinking $499 for PS3 that includes an HDD as standard in the U.S. If it's more then $500 then I'm getting Nintendo Revolution instead.

Top Bottom