• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 pricing in Europe

Mrbob

Shompola said:
But he did live on radio! This is damage control from SONY.

Yeah, head to beyond3d and they have a link to the radio feed. This *is* true. Damn. Even the Sony damage control doesn't help out now. He said what he said and this is where Sony is heading. Ugh. Sony should have sold Blu Ray as an add on if the system is going to cost 500 dollars. Good news is that PS3 will have a 10 year lifespan at this pricepoint.

Tat

Banned
It's true that he said what he said but that doesn't mean what he said is true.

Didn't he also say the PSP would cost 400€?

Elios83

Jeuxfrance has also an update directly from SCEF:

Update : Sony Computer Entertainment nous envoie un communiqué de presse pour donner quelques précisions sur la déclaration de Georges Fornay dans le cadre de l'émission Génération Europe 1 sur la radio Europe 1.

"Georges Fornay tient à préciser qu’il n’a jamais annoncé de prix de lancement pour la PlayStation 3 qui par ailleurs n’a pas été fixé à ce jour. Une question du journaliste d’Europe 1 mentionnait le prix de 500 $ pour la PS3. Georges Fornay a répondu en faisant un parallèle avec le prix des consoles de jeu qu’il a situé bien en dessous de 500 Euros et le prix des lecteurs Blu Ray pour lequel le journaliste avait mentionné le prix de 1000 Euros et plus. Georges Fornay a précisé que ce serait dans cette fourchette, c’est à dire entre un prix bien en dessous de 500 Euros et 1000 Euros et plus. Il s’agissait d’une analyse personnelle dans le cadre d’un raisonnement global et non d’une quelconque annonce de prix."

Ci-dessous, la retranscription précise de l'interview

Journaliste : Une question que se posent justement les joueurs, c'est le prix de cette console, on voit des chiffres qui circulent régulièrement sur le web... 500$ selon la rumeur : on est proche de la réalité ou on s'en éloigne ?

Georges Fornay : Eh bien écoutez, si on prend l'aspect Blu Ray/HD, on parlait de lecteur Blu Ray a 1000 euros et plus. Donc elle sera extrêmement bon marché quand au regard de cet aspect. Quand on regarde l'aspect jeu, aujourd'hui c'est vrai que les consoles de jeu avaient plutôt un prix bien en dessous de 500 euros. Je dirais, que nous serons dans cette fourchette : elle sera chère pour la partie jeux vidéo, elle sera extrêmement bon marché quand on regardera l'ensemble des technologies qu'elle intègre.

Price hasn't been decided yet and he was just answering a question about the possiblity of a 500€ PS3.It was like:
Q:What about a 500€ PS3?
A:It would be expensive as a game console but it would still be a competitive price as a Blu Ray HD player.

Zweisy1

Guess this means no PS3 for me at launch.. wont buy one until its around 300-350 Euros. Oh well, should at least have a nice lineup of games when i get around to buying it.

Tat

Banned
Zweisy1 said:
Guess this means no PS3 for me at launch.. wont buy one until its around 300-350 Euros. Oh well, should at least have a nice lineup of games when i get around to buying it.

But.. Oh never mind. :lol

What would make my day right now is if Sony said they were going to make a version with a standard DVD drive that cost $350-$400 and a Blu-Ray version at whatever price they want to charge.

It just seems cruel to me that they're essentially forcing anyone who wants a PS3 for games to potentially pay out their ass just for a Blu-Ray drive that they may or may not want. I couldn't give two shits about Hi-Def DVDs and I doubt neither does the majority of gamers, or at least to the point that they'd be willing to pay $500 for one.

Forsete

Gold Member
pinkatrophe said:
What would make my day right now is if Sony said they were going to make a version with a standard DVD drive that cost $350-$400 and a Blu-Ray version at whatever price they want to charge.

It just seems cruel to me that they're essentially forcing anyone who wants a PS3 for games to potentially pay out their ass just for a Blu-Ray drive that they may or may not want. I couldn't give two shits about Hi-Def DVDs and I doubt neither does the majority of gamers, or at least to the point that they'd be willing to pay $500 for one.

You wont be able to play any PS3 games on that PS3 DVD-only console anyway since all PS3 games will be released on Blu-Ray Discs. :)

Tat

Banned
pinkatrophe said:

I agree. The whole blu-ray thing is stupid and I bet it will come back and bite Sony in the ass.

Joe

im in the camp that even though he said it, doesnt mean its true. i'm still expecting 1 sku at $399.99 and however many euro's that converts to.

pinkatrophe said:

Games are on Blu Ray.

Unless you're interested in a fractured userbase?

pinkatrophe said:

You know that Sony has stated that certain next-gen PS3 games wil require more space than is available on a DVD. Now then.

arab

pinkatrophe said:

Enter tard pack.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Mrbob said:
Yeah, head to beyond3d and they have a link to the radio feed. This *is* true. Damn.

Did you actually listen to what he said? Judging by the provided transcript, the SCEE version of events is correct.

He basically told us PS3 will fall somewhere between the price of a typical games console ("well below 500") and over 1000 of the typical BD player. Which is to say, he told us nothing at all.

I'd still say save $600 though :p

Vashu

Joe said:
im in the camp that even though he said it, doesnt mean its true. i'm still expecting 1 sku at $399.99 and however many euro's that converts to.

They're not gonna do that, they'll never convert it like that. A $399 pricetag means a 399 Euro pricetag. We will always pay more than you, the system has never been equal unfortunately. Although I do hope it'll change, it's probably gonna be the same.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I can't believe the bitching and whining about the price here.

Everything about the console screams that it was never designed to be a cheap console.
Bluray/HDMI/60Gb HDD/Bluetooth etc...

$500 - $600 is cheap for what it offers.

cyberheater said:

Everything about the console screams that it was never designed to be a cheap console.

you are missing the point..

getting a lexus or cadillac for $25K would be cheap for what they offer..

but when you are in the market for a car for 15K, doesnt matter if you get soem amazing offer on a $45K car at $25K!

RavenFox

Banned
cyberheater said:

Looks like someone here has sense and has grown up.

RavenFox

Banned
EnvoyDenali said:

but when you are in the market for a car for 15K, doesnt matter if you get soem amazing offer on a $45K car at $25K!
Yeah but there is only one PS3 and if you want a PS3 then the price is the price. The tech in there is quite impressive if you ask me.

Draft

Tat said:
I agree. The whole blu-ray thing is stupid and I bet it will come back and bite Sony in the ass.
Especially if BluRay fails to take off as the next video storage standard (fingers crossed. Fuck BluRay AND HD-DVD. They're both bad for consumers.)

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
EnvoyDenali said:

Simple then. Buy a 360 or nREV if you can't afford a PS3.

Vashu

RavenFox said:
Yeah but there is only one PS3 and if you want a PS3 then the price is the price. The tech in there is quite impressive if you ask me.

You are right on that, but take into consideration the fact that the economy isn't doing so well right now. Sure, the system is gonna be released in November, and things can (and probably will) change in the mean time, but not everyone can afford such a system.

There will always be early adopters, but when I can get a system with a lot more proven titles, for a whole lot less, around the same time then the choice would be simpel. So in this case, they have to compete, now matter how much tech they got in there or how much stronger their system is.

Forsete said:
You wont be able to play any PS3 games on that PS3 DVD-only console anyway since all PS3 games will be released on Blu-Ray Discs. :)

AdmiralViscen said:
Games are on Blu Ray.

Unless you're interested in a fractured userbase?

Yeah, of course, I don't think anyone who's remotely been following this issue wouldn't be aware of this. My roundabout point was just that I wish Sony hadn't used this format to begin with! :lol

The only game that I've read about that significantly requires the space of Blu Ray discs is Getaway and we all know that'll probably be just as mediocre as its predecessors.

EnvoyDenali said:

Thank you! This is what I'm saying. Does anyone with the 360 find 20 Gigs to be too small? Does anyone except a handful of gamers here find Hi Def DVDs to be a necessity? I just hate how we're getting into this pattern of adding more and more into consoles that aren't necessary for quality gaming. I'm fine with the stress of online gaming but the size of the hard drive and BR are just overkill IMO.

I do plan to buy the PS3 but if it launches at $500 then I won't be getting it for a while. I want to buy a game console first and foremost, not some multimedia hub that can make capuccinos and give me a bj all at the same time.

Mrbob

cyberheater said:

Yeah for what you are paying for, $500 isn't too high a price. I just don't want to spend $500 on a console hardware package. ;)

This will stunt next gen growth, so perhaps this is why Sony is still pushing the PS2 hard. I'm not positive those wanting a Playstation 3 will buy Xbox 360 instead. If Sony offers enough value initiative, this just may have consumers wait before jumping on the next gen bandwagon and the adoption rate will be slower until Sony lowers the price. If you think about value, a $499.99 PS3 guarantees a 10 year lifecycle. $499.99 investment for 10 years is a good value. There could be two Xbox systems released in this timespan. ;)

RavenFox said:

Yea, but when you buy a car, it's done. The manufacturer makes the money on the car.

With a console, buying the thing is the entry point for you to buy games, which is where the real profits are for the manufacturer. Putting too high high a price on the console fucks everything up.

And again, game consoles aren't luxury items. They are supposed to be normal, everyday items. So it's more comparable to a $15k car than a $35k car.

cyberheater said:
Simple then. Buy a 360 or nREV if you can't afford a PS3.

That sounds like a great business plan for Sony. Good post!

pinkatrophe said:
The only game that I've read about that significantly requires the space of Blu Ray discs is Getaway and we all know that'll probably be just as mediocre as its predecessors.

And I'm sure that'll be the only large PS3 game for the next half-decade, right?

Vashu

AniHawk said:
Gaming's getting way too fucking expensive. Frankly, $300 is too much.

I have to agree with you, but..

I'd be willing to pay for a 500 dollar/Euro system, if the games weren't as fraggin expensive as they are now. I mean, shelling out 70 Euro for Oblivion (and be asked to buy 2 sets of lame ass horse armor for 2 more Euros :p) while you can get it on PC for 44.99 is just crazy.

Mrbob said:
Yeah for what you are paying for, $500 isn't too high a price. I just don't want to spend $500 on a console hardware package. ;)

This will stunt next gen growth, so perhaps this is why Sony is still pushing the PS2 hard. I'm not positive those wanting a Playstation 3 will buy Xbox 360 instead. If Sony offers enough value initiative, this just may have consumers wait before jumping on the next gen bandwagon and the adoption rate will be slower until Sony lowers the price. If you think about value, a $499.99 PS3 guarantees a 10 year lifecycle. $499.99 investment for 10 years is a good value. There could be two Xbox systems released in this timespan. ;)

Yeah, I'd pay to see Sony adopt a 10 year lifecycle for the PS3. They're pushing hardware so much these days that it's a near impossibility for them to hold out that long before entering another "My cock is bigger than yours" competition with Microsoft.

AniHawk said:

I think $300 is the magic number. I wholeheartedly agree with you that it's getting way too expensive these days to be a gamer, adjustments for inflation or not. I'm fearful to see what the next gen's prices will be at this rate.

AniHawk said:

Gaming isnt' getting expensive, home media hubs are getting expensive. If the PS3 would just play games we wouldn't have to pay out the ass for it.

$300 is my fucking limit. I just want to play games and have fun, not become an integral part of a corporation's bid to own the world's living rooms.

Odysseus

Banned
AniHawk said:

I agree. And, despite all of that, I have absolutely no interest in Nintendo's offering. I'd rather just not play games....

But I'll end up paying whatever the 360 is going for next spring anyway. That's the target date, at least. PS3 will have to wait, though.

AdmiralViscen said:
And I'm sure that'll be the only large PS3 game for the next half-decade, right?

My point is that if the 360 can use standard DVDs, I still don't buy the argument that the PS3 can't do without a BRD. Would having to swap out discs once during a 40 hour game be such a horrible thing if it was a trade off for lower console and game prices? I don't question the format's benefit to creating streaming media I just don't think that it seems worth the cost at this point.

cyberheater

Vashu said:
I have to agree with you, but..

I'd be willing to pay for a 500 dollar/Euro system, if the games weren't as fraggin expensive as they are now. I mean, shelling out 70 Euro for Oblivion (and be asked to buy 2 sets of lame ass horse armor for 2 more Euros :p) while you can get it on PC for 44.99 is just crazy.

But it's gamers fault that it's getting too expensive. These boards and sony fanboys blew their load when Killzone was shown at E3 last year. The dev time to have a game that actually looks and plays like that cost a small fortune and it's us who has to pay for it.
We all want top quality games with stunning graphics and sound for bargain bucket pricing.

It's just not possible nor sustainable.

At the end of the day, if you want a cheap PS3 and cheap games then your going to have to play the waiting game.

pinkatrophe said:
My point is that if the 360 can use standard DVDs, I still don't buy the argument that the PS3 can't do without a BRD. Would having to swap out discs once during a 40 hour game be such a horrible thing if it was a trade off for lower console and game prices?

In three years time, we might be looking at 360's puny discs and condemning them for launching too early, and with an old format. Back in 1998 Dreamcast GD-ROMs seemed sufficient. How good would San Andreas been if everyone stuck with those?

It's too soon to say who's making the blunder here. But if PS3 allows Blu Ray to trounce HD-DVD, then Sony will be happy with its choice.

Oh, and can you please explain to me how MS' choice of DVD format has kept game prices down? Because that's not what I'm seeing.

Cosmozone

WORK OVERTIME BITCHES!!!

... just kidding.
Honestly, 500 Euros would be a great price for the full package. The kiddies and the like think that'd be too much, but gaming consoles are luxury items, get over it. Buy two games less or wait for a price drop if it's too much for you at the moment.

Joe

i think sony's main reason for going to BRD for games is piracy reasons.

you switch discs to play different games, its the same fucking thing. and ps1 did pretty good with an array of multi-disc games.

Cosmozone said:
WORK OVERTIME BITCHES!!!

... just kidding.
Honestly, 500 Euros would be a great price for the full package. The kiddies and the like think that'd be too much, but gaming consoles are luxury items, get over it. Buy two games less or wait for a price drop if it's too much for you at the moment.

We're "kiddies" for not wanting to drop $500 to play some video games? I don't care if it's a great price for the package if I'm not interested in anything in the package.

I really hope Sony's attitude toward the meat of the market is better than "Get over it." That's not how you hang on to customers. 100 million PS2s were not sold to people like you.

Vashu

cyberheater said:
But it's gamers fault that it's getting too expensive. These boards and sony fanboys blew their load when Killzone was shown at E3 last year. The dev time to have a game that actually looks and plays like that cost a small fortune and it's us who has to pay for it.
We all want top quality games with stunning graphics and sound for bargain bucket pricing.

It's just not possible nor sustainable.

At the end of the day, if you want a cheap PS3 and cheap games then your going to have to play the waiting game.

It's too bad that we are headed down that road, I know. But everytime I deal with hardware and software it comes to my attention that most money is being made from software to begin with, not from hardware. So, why not take a middle road, sell the system, full SKU, for 399 Euro and get your money from the games, since they're gonna sell loads of them anyway.

Of course, that could very well be their intention, but since nobody (except for Krazy Kutaragi) knows anything yet, it's just pure speculation.

el Croux

More to consider during these incredibly vague times:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=new&aid=2787

Sony's handheld debut likely to come in "closer to £200 than £300"

New comments made by recently promoted Sony Europe president Chris Deering regarding the PlayStation Portable have hinted at a price point in the £250 range, while Japanese retail sources quote figures in a similar range.

Deering stated that the system would diverge from Sony's traditional console business model by being sold at a price which would make a profit on hardware alone, and suggested a price "closer to £200 than £300."

This comment ties in with information from Japanese retail sources earlier this week, who told us that a price point around 50,000 Yen was being bandied about in Tokyo - in fact, the most exact figure we were given was 48,000 Yen, almost exactly £250.

The PSP Value Pack was actually released at £180 in the UK and ¥26,040 in Japan.

Joe

its gotta be done purposely by sony so internet geeks dont get all crazy. set the price high, so when it comes in lower sony is the saviour.

Ben Sones

RavenFox said:

That's good logic. They should totally price it at $5000, by that argument. After all, if you want a PS3, then the price is the price!

Vashu

Joe said:
its gotta be done purposely by sony so internet geeks dont get all crazy. set the price high, so when it comes in lower sony is the saviour.

While this may have happened with the PSP, it probably won't with the PS3, considering the launchprice for the PS2. Of course, things change but when Kutaragi himself said that the system is gonna be expensive you know it's gonna be expensive.

AdmiralViscen said:
Oh, and can you please explain to me how MS' choice of DVD format has kept game prices down? Because that's not what I'm seeing.

Don't blame the format for the price, blame the rising costs of game development and the fact that people are actually choosing to pay that price, therefore telling Microsoft and other companies "Hey, this is a price that works!". Surely it's no shocker that BluRay discs are more expensive to manufacture than standard DVDs and that the cost of games may only rise with the introduction of this format? I don't have a crystal ball which is why I'm not definitely saying that they will but surely you can see the potential for this rise in cost.

milanbaros

Member?
I think a $499 price point might be evidence that the PS3 might even be around longer than the PS2 has. The PS2 is currently $149, thats a huge price gap and their markets will not imapct each other at all. This way the PS2 can continue to be the top selling console until past 2008 allowing for a $99 price cut.

The PS2 atm is just one huge cash generating machine for Sony and they wont want to kill it off with their own hardware. As soon as the 360 starts to outsell the PS2 Sony can bring the PS3 into a much more competitive price range to compete.

AniHawk

AdmiralViscen said:
Gaming isnt' getting expensive, home media hubs are getting expensive. If the PS3 would just play games we wouldn't have to pay out the ass for it.

$300 is my fucking limit. I just want to play games and have fun, not become an integral part of a corporation's bid to own the world's living rooms.

Odysseus said:
I agree. And, despite all of that, I have absolutely no interest in Nintendo's offering. I'd rather just not play games....

But I'll end up paying whatever the 360 is going for next spring anyway. That's the target date, at least. PS3 will have to wait, though.

Well, I wasn't really referring to Nintendo in my post. Strange of you to go there. Anyway, I meant as a whole, gaming is getting too expensive. A Nintendo handheld launched at $150. A Sony handheld launched at $100 more. Handheld games are upwards of $40-$50. Standard game prices often reach $60 and (just once so far), $70. Controller prices are going up. Necessary add-ons are sky-high. It's such a waste nowadays. I felt remorse for plunking money down on my $300 PS2 (for which I had to purchase a memory card for and a couple games). The amount you have to spend to "get going" now is ridiculous.

I blame everyone who didn't buy a Dreamcast. :mad:

Cosmozone

AdmiralViscen said:
We're "kiddies" for not wanting to drop $500 to play some video games?
Don't buy it then, you don't have to. But bitching around because you can't have the newest technology for cheap is just childish. If you don't want to pay so much, buy a Revolution or even an Xbox although this is already a whopping $400. It's true that the price will turn down many gamers, but those can obtain the console after some price drops. Then those who just grew into the right age will get it for an affordable price, too.

AniHawk said:
I blame everyone who didn't buy a Dreamcast. :mad:

How much did the DC cost at launch?

At this rate, I think the only consoles in my "next gen" arsenal this year will either be a 360 (if they drop the Premium to $300 when the PS3 launches) or a Rev, despite me looking forward to the PS3 the most. Gaming is just not worth $500+ to me.

AniHawk

pinkatrophe said:
How much did the DC cost at launch?

At this rate, I think the only consoles in my "next gen" arsenal this year will either be a 360 (if they drop the Premium to $300 when the PS3 launches) or a Rev, despite me looking forward to the PS3 the most. Gaming is just not worth $500+ to me.

DC was $200 at launch.

And I have this sneaking suspicion the Revolution might cost $300 or so.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Originally Posted by syllogism:
You people doing USD conversions are dumb

Agent Icebeezy said:
Please explain why, and this is a serious question. Granted they might go low in the US, but I can't see it going that much lower.

people dont conversions are dumb and are asshats. europe pays MORE for video games than America and Japan. Heck sometimes even Japan pays more for video games than America.

neojubei said:
people dont conversions are dumb and are asshats.

Hm? Say that again?

But yeah, usually the price of a commodity in the US as it is in Europe except that the euro or pound symbol is replaced with a dollar sign. The numbers are never actually converted to the dollar equivalent.

A 500 euro item in France will cost 500 dollars (if not possibly less, actually) in the US.

Top Bottom