• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Tard pack = No wifi + No HDMI + No MemoryStick /SD/CompactFlash

Tellaerin

The Abominable Snowman said:
Sony doesn't see that gamers have a viable alternative in the west now. Bye Sony. You can go consult N64-era Nintendo on what you did wrong next generation.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't have a 'viable alternative' in the West, and that's a problem from where I'm sitting. I don't consider the X360 an alternative, because I'm partial to Japanese-developed games, and I doubt any American-built console will ever become the lead development platform for most Japanese developers regardless of how well they sell here. Likewise, while I'm going to pick up a Wii for the virtual console and a couple of the big Nintendo franchises (Metroid, Zelda), they seem heavily focused on 'revolutionary gameplay' built around the Wii-wand, and that's not what I'm looking for as my core gaming experience. So if I want to play games with the kind of gameplay and art styles I like best, I have no choice but to buy a PS3. And if I don't want a feature-stripped one (selling the same unit with a 20- or 60-gig HD would have been fine, but then they cut even more out of the entry-level machine and leave users with no way to upgrade? WTF?), I have to be ready to shell out $600. Meh.

What I'd really like to see is for another Japanese company to throw their hat in the ring and launch a less-expensive, more traditional console with strong Japanese developer support. (Oh Sega, how I miss thee right now...)

LuCkymoON

Banned
Tellaerin said:
As far as I'm concerned, I don't have a 'viable alternative' in the West, and that's a problem from where I'm sitting. I don't consider the X360 an alternative, because I'm partial to Japanese-developed games, and I doubt any American-built console will ever become the lead development platform for most Japanese developers regardless of how well they sell here. Likewise, while I'm going to pick up a Wii for the virtual console and a couple of the big Nintendo franchises (Metroid, Zelda), they seem heavily focused on 'revolutionary gameplay' built around the Wii-wand, and that's not what I'm looking for as my core gaming experience. So if I want to play games with the kind of gameplay and art styles I like best, I have no choice but to buy a PS3. And if I don't want a feature-stripped one (selling the same unit with a 20- or 60-gig HD would have been fine, but then they cut even more out of the entry-level machine and leave users with no way to upgrade? WTF?), I have to be ready to shell out $600. Meh.

What I'd really like to see is for another Japanese company to throw their hat in the ring and launch a less-expensive, more traditional console with strong Japanese developer support. (Oh Sega, how I miss thee right now...)
OH! So now you fcukers miss Sega?? Where were you when the DC tanked? Playing PS2 thats where.

empanada

Wow, $500 for a stripped down version? That's just insane. Sony just screwed their main userbase (cheap college students + teen demographic). The only people buying the PS3 are hardcore gamers + Sony fanboys + rich bastards.

All kidding aside, what's the comprehensive breakdown of what is and what isn't in what located at? The earlier image of the PS3 specs was everything?

HokieJoe

Guys, Sony didn't set their pricing because of arrogance. They set it based upon business need. Arrogance in their decision-making up to this point may have led them to poorer position than they could've been.

LuCkymoON said:
OH! So now you fcukers miss Sega?? Where were you when the DC tanked? Playing PS2 thats where.

i think Sega fans were out in full-force whent he DC closed doors. How many DC threads have we had weekly since the DC, every week, about the DC?

/derail

I can't believe how stealth their tard pack is. there is a lot of deception ont he horizon...

Who the fuck made these decisions at Sony? Is this Kuturagi alone? I mean, the whole Sony corp. will go down if this fails.

I mean someone at Sony must have said: "No, Ken, we don't rape our fans like this!"

LuCkymoON

Banned
meltpotato said:
i think Sega fans were out in full-force whent he DC closed doors. How many DC threads have we had weekly since the DC, every week, about the DC?

/derail

I can't believe how stealth their tard pack is. there is a lot of deception ont he horizon...
What was so stealth about their tard pack? It hit GAF like a frieght train. :p

Tellaerin

xabre said:
It's not so much innovation but having the good sense and fair play not to so blatantly steal other companies shit. Nintendo is quite clearly an innovator, but I think Microsoft (while no innovator) did quite a decent job with online console gaming and really pushed the envelope in that regard. The Xbox360 dash is also quite a nice evolutionary step forward too.

But wait here comes idea-less Sony…XBLA? Yoink we’ll steal that and the dashboard button too. WiiMote? Oh well knock that off an call it our innovation. And they’ve been doing this shit for years too, rumble, analogue etc. Fuck them.

So when gamers here said things like, 'Online's the future of gaming, and Sony really needs a service like XBL in order to succeed in the long run,' Sony should have just ignored them and quietly wandered off to die in order to satisfy some Xbots' sense of 'fair play'? Likewise, I guess everyone else should have stuck with Genesis-era gamepads forever, right? I mean, deliberately limiting what games could be developed for their own consoles by refusing to integrate anything new in their controllers would really benefit consumers, wouldn't it? Seriously, give it a fucking rest. We're not five-year-olds, and the 'Mommy, he's copying me!' bullshit just needs to stop.

quetz67

Banned
HDMI = overrrated
SD = who cares
20 vs. 60gb = at least every PS3 has a HD, 20GB will probably sufficient for gaming
no WLAN = come on, where your TV/stereo equipment is you have tons of cables anyway, probably a cheap router will do if you want it later.

Wireless controller for all and compared to x360 tard pack no extra costs for memory card :)

btw. too bad multi monitor is gone but I nevre believed they have enough fillrate for 2x720p and sure not for 2x1080p

I remember I was playing Resident Evil, Silent Hill, or Parasite Eve. And then going on boards and laughing at people who called me an idiot for waiting for the PS2 while the DreamCast was out there.

empanada said:
Wow, $500 for a stripped down version? That's just insane. Sony just screwed their main userbase (cheap college students + teen demographic). The only people buying the PS3 are hardcore gamers + Sony fanboys + rich bastards.

the only people that buy any system at launch are hardcore gamers, fanboys or rich bastards. The "cheap college student and teens" demographic doesn't really come into play until the systems get **gasp** cheap. And contrary to popular belief, just because the PS3 is going to be $600 doesn't mean that the $400 Xbox360 is seen as "cheap". Most of those consumers will probably just stick with their PS2s and Xboxes for another year.

Ninja Scooter said:
the only people that buy any system at launch are hardcore gamers, fanboys or rich bastards. The "cheap college student and teens" demographic doesn't really come into play until the systems get **gasp** cheap. And contrary to popular belief, just because the PS3 is going to be $600 doesn't mean that the $400 Xbox360 is seen as "cheap". Most of those consumers will probably just stick with their PS2s and Xboxes for another year.
In short . . . Teh Frankman gets the PS3 at Christmas . . . of 2007 or 2008!! :lol

empanada

Ninja Scooter said:
The "cheap college student and teens" demographic doesn't really come into play until the systems get **gasp** cheap. ... Most of those consumers will probably just stick with their PS2s and Xboxes for another year.
Exactly. At $600, it will take a loooong time (years) for it to come down in price causing slow sales which is not good for market penetration/share and publishers looking to sell their games to as many people as possible.

To be fair, I do realize why Sony priced it this way...

pilonv1

Probably posted elsewhere but

ps3liebackend8nv.jpg

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

empanada

quetz67 said:
I think PS3 will get a mass market price when bluray players get one, probably end of 2007
It's not only Bluray driving the cost up. They also have to recoup Cell R&D costs.

VPhys

No HDMI definitely makes the $499 console a tard pack, unless you planed on buying a seperate $1000 Blu Ray player.

It's a shame because this seems like it may make it or brake it for me. I was planning on getting a PS3 as a cheap blu-ray player at $499, but that may be my breaking point. $600 sounds allot more steep and I don't know if I want to make that investment right now.

Havoc

Banned
LuCkymoON said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Is there a PS1/2 Memory Card slot on the PS3?

Sho Nuff

Banned
quetz67 said:
HDMI = overrrated
SD = who cares
20 vs. 60gb = at least every PS3 has a HD, 20GB will probably sufficient for gaming
no WLAN = come on, where your TV/stereo equipment is you have tons of cables anyway, probably a cheap router will do if you want it later.

Wireless controller for all and compared to x360 tard pack no extra costs for memory card :)

btw. too bad multi monitor is gone but I nevre believed they have enough fillrate for 2x720p and sure not for 2x1080p

dude I love your posts so much I can't even begin to describe it

quetz67

Banned
empanada said:
It's not only Bluray driving the cost up. They also have to recoup Cell R&D costs.
it is both.

I bet we'll see a $100 (at least) price drop either E3 2007 or holiday 2007, depending on sales

llTll

Banned
ok since my post was locked.

can someont tell me which of the PS3 is 60G and which is 20G?

the silver playstation 3 font is what? 60 or 20?

SuperPac said:
Except they've gotten both of those fundamental points extremely and hilariously wrong.

Two SKUs - at least if you bought the lower 360 SKU you could a la carte the features you weren't getting. With the PS3, you can't.

Motion sensor - The point of it being in the Wii is to attract a casual gamer. That's why the Wiimote looks like it does. For PS3 there is absolutely no attempt being made to make it a feature that will attract non-gamers because the controller looks like the same one that nongamers are still not using anyway.

Well, I don't know about anyone else... but I haven't thought that Sony has "won" an E3 in years. If ever. It hasn't stopped them from being #1.

Exactly. Sony once again miss the whole complete point.

quetz67

Banned
fly high ~ayunite~ said:
It is not like Nintendo invented motion sensors. And it is not like Sony wants to copy what Nintendo does, it is just a nice addon.

But if I read about no Revmote sword swinging in TP because it is too strenous then I begin to have my doubts.

But nice the PS3 controller has the feature, some games might make use of it, if it makes sense and some Wii 3rd party stuff might work on PS3 too.

Sallokin

empanada said:

True, in the end their responsibility is to their shareholders, but seeing as how I'm not one, I can't help but feel a little betrayed. The 360 has titles that are easily better looking than some of the garbage shown today (Tekken 6) and it's way less pricy. I suppose I had expected Sony to pull an MS and eat the cost of the console for the first year or so in order to get Blue Ray out there, but I suppose that's out the window.

The one hand design isn't just for the sake of non-gamers.

It's a functionality issue too.

A freehand design like the one Wii has can mimic objects like a gun, sword, bat, etc. or operate as a pointer.

Look at virtual reality simulators, they pretty much all use a freehand controller for the input from the hands.

There's a functional reason for that, a traditional game console type controller would not work.

jett

D-Member
Tellaerin said:

QFT. I feel that Sony has really fucked me over with that price. 360 isn't an alternative at all. Next-gen is more liks no-gen for me.

Tellaerin

fly high ~ayunite~ said:

Unlike Nintendo, Sony's clearly not trying to 'change the way people play videogames' with their controller. They're just adding something that will complement existing methods of control, rather than trying to replace them. As far as I'm concerned, that means they do get it - they're certainly more closely in tune with my desires than Nintendo is.

exactly. Its just another feature of the controller, not THE feature. Its not meant to mimic a gun, or a fishing pole or a baseball bat.

quetz67

Banned
Sallokin said:
The 360 has titles that are easily better looking than some of the garbage shown today (Tekken 6) and it's way less pricy.
I dont think too much garbage was shown and you compare games half a year prior to release to games half a year after release. More interesting will be how the graphics compare this november.

for reference compare PDZ graphics E3 2005 and final game

Polari

Battersea Power Station said:
I like Cripple Pack a lot since the SKU representes a crippled version of their next-gen promise.

Agreed, because at $500 you don't only get a crippled console, but you get a crippled console while still crippling your finances.

methodman

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
exactly. Its just another feature of the controller, not THE feature. Its not meant to mimic a gun, or a fishing pole or a baseball bat.

That's the thing though. Nintendo realized this already, and if you all read the Zelda post Koam did, he even told us that Nintendo has said that most of the time you won't be swinging your arms around wildly - just point at an enemy and hit the attack button (a or the trigger, whatever it is). But shooting arrows actually looks pretty sweet, you pull back on the nunchuck while keeping the wiimote in front of you, and press a once you get the right distance. That's pretty damn awesome. I bet even my mom would want to try that out if Zelda has a shooting Range (which OOT did).

edit: also the coolest thing In TP, with the Wii added features is that The speaker in the controller makes a sound when you pull it back (probably a bow string tightening sound) and when you 'release' the arrow, the sound will 'travel' to the TV speakers.

xabre

Banned
Tellaerin said:
I mean, deliberately limiting what games could be developed for their own consoles by refusing to integrate anything new in their controllers would really benefit consumers, wouldn't it? Seriously, give it a fucking rest. We're not five-year-olds, and the 'Mommy, he's copying me!' bullshit just needs to stop.

Believe me I wouldn't care less what they copied if they offered their own bit of innovation or improved implementation of established concepts once in a while, but they don't and they never have. When the Dual Shock and Eyetoy are as innovative as it gets you know they're a company devoid of any sense of imagination and inventiveness. At least Nintendo is out there trying to shake up shit with their new controller, and Microsoft is trying to push new boundaries with its XBLA service. What's Sony doing? Obscene price points, tard packs and copying the defining features of their competitors machines aside what exactly are they offering the market that defines their product as unique? Not much.

quetz67

Banned
methodman said:
That's the thing though. Nintendo realized this already, and if you all read the Zelda post Koam did, he even told us that Nintendo has said that most of the time you won't be swinging your arms around wildly - just point at an enemy and hit the attack button (a or the trigger, whatever it is). But shooting arrows actually looks pretty sweet, you pull back on the nunchuck while keeping the wiimote in front of you, and press a once you get the right distance. That's pretty damn awesome. I bet even my mom would want to try that out if Zelda has a shooting Range (which OOT did).

edit: also the coolest thing In TP, with the Wii added features is that The speaker in the controller makes a sound when you pull it back (probably a bow string tightening sound) and when you 'release' the arrow, the sound will 'travel' to the TV speakers.
The technology if RevMote is completely different and offers much more options than the PS3 controller for sure. But then it is about all whats going for Wii (besides the price)

xabre

Banned
Another thing, no HDMI output on the $500 version is just plain fucking stupid. What is the point of having a Blu-ray drive in the unit if it can't output movies any higher than 480p over component? Put a regular 16x DVD drive in there, knock $200 bucks of the price and tell developers to spec their games for that in mind. 9GB of space for games is plenty for the time being.

Reilly

xabre said:
Another thing, no HDMI output on the $500 version is just plain fucking stupid. What is the point of having a Blu-ray drive in the unit if it can't output movies any higher than 480p over component? Put a regular 16x DVD drive in there, knock $200 bucks of the price and tell developers to spec their games for that in mind. 9GB of space for games is plenty for the time being.

they want every PS3 to have Blu-Ray. That's the whole point of it being there.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Reilly said:
they want every PS3 to have Blu-Ray. That's the whole point of it being there.

Bluray is pretty pointless without an HDMI port (if the 576p or whatever-res downsizing is true). HD era my ass.

Top Bottom