• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 UTIII user mods due next week

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Lock if old.

One of the primary advantages that Midway and Epic Games have thus far announced for the PlayStation 3 version of Unreal Tournament III over its Xbox 360 counterpart, aside from being released several months in advance, is support user-created game mods made through the PC version's map editor. However, as the game narrowly made it out the door and onto store shelves in time for the busy 2007 holiday shopping season, players were noticeably unable to get their homemade maps running on the PS3 edition of the game.

That situation will soon be rectified, according to Epic Games vice president Mark Rein. In a post to the game's official forums, Rein said that with the issues now squared away, the team simply has to iron out the actual update to the PC game's map editor.

"We're very close to releasing an update to the Unreal Engine 3 editor that comes with the PC version of UT3 that will allow UT3 mod-makers to cook their mods into the required PS3 format. We've been doing some internal testing, and we're hoping to expand to a wider group tomorrow or Friday. If all goes well, then we should see the update released next week, which is what I expect will happen. Obviously the process works[/b], as we put out a few mods before Christmas and people seem to be playing them, but it is the update to the editor that we're testing."

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_b...137946&part=rss&tag=gs_all_games&subj=6184270

Good news for people that have UTIII, now the wait begins for me, EU :(

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
how many were released so far? Just the four?

edit: maps I mean...

JCBossman

Banned
This is good let them (PC dudes) make all the Mods NOW, and by the time the 360 version comes out they can be fully tested and ship along side the 360 port.

Icy

Banned
JCBossman said:
This is good let them (PC dudes) make all the Mods NOW, and by the time the 360 version comes out they can be fully tested and ship along side the 360 port.

I forsee a 99.99% chance of no mods on the 360. MS won't let in user created content like that, especially since they won't allow it for TF2 and the Orange box as 1 example. If anything MS would want to do micro transactions on it.. and I doubt we'll see that.

JCBossman

Banned
Icy said:
I forsee a 99.99% chance of no mods on the 360. MS won't let in user created content like that, especially since they won't allow it for TF2 and the Orange box as 1 example. If anything MS would want to do micro transactions on it.. and I doubt we'll see that.

I think they will allow "Vetted" ones, they don't want any Nazi type stuff, as long as it gets the Twice over, it will be fine. Besides with these "Mods" 99% is crap anyway, so Epic can pick out the few "Diamonds" and release those.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
These are not technically mods, since they can only be made with the in-game map editor. They're user created maps and the PS3 version can't support anything that has actually been modified. It's still nice, but it amounts to just being a more detailed, PC-only version of the Timesplitters custom map scene.

tanod

when is my burrito
JCBossman said:
I think they will allow "Vetted" ones, they don't want any Nazi type stuff, as long as it gets the Twice over, it will be fine. Besides with these "Mods" 99% is crap anyway, so Epic can pick out the few "Diamonds" and release those.

*rocket race mod incoming*

Yeah, no.

Spire said:
These are not technically mods, since they can only be made with the in-game map editor. They're user created maps and the PS3 version can't support anything that has actually been modified. It's still nice, but it amounts to just being a more detailed, PC-only version of the Timesplitters custom map scene.

PS3 supports total conversion mods too.

levious

Spire said:

so there won't be actual mods for the ps3 game?

tanod

when is my burrito
SOLDIER said:
What's the site where all these mods will be posted?

So far, they've been posted on the Epic forums but I heard you can download them straight to your PS3 at ut3mod.com.

Spire said:
Does it? Everything I read only mentions the in-game map editor.

No, that is completely wrong. Everything the PC can do, the PS3 can do. The "cooker" that is going to be released next week scales the graphics and that's about it.

Ploid 3.0

Synless said:
That doesn't sound right, I swear that mods were to be available for the ps3.

Spire knows what he's talking about 100.3% of the time. Check those mutators and maps again ;)

besada

Banned
pcostabel said:
So there is no way to get the editor without buying the PC version?

If you know an EPIC team member, they all got free copies:D If they like you, they'll send you their copy:D

sweet.

one short month after the game's ps3 release, infinite freedom comes to PSTriple!

theBishop said:
I see the tyrannical gods of Epic have finally decided to deliver fire to us mere mortals.
:lol :lol :lol

technically, they're testing fire on earth, and will give it to us mere mortals next week

CENOBITE

I would really like to see a Larger version of Facing Worlds... like Vehicle CTF Facing Worlds. Not enough WAR and Vehicle CTF maps compared to regular ol' "plain-jane white-bread milktoast" deathmatch. Yah, deathmatch is BORING. I'm amazed people still play it so much.

levious

Ploid 3.0 said:
Spire knows what he's talking about 100.3% of the time. Check those mutators and maps again ;)

yeah, that's all that's out so far, but I thought full mods would be coming as well.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
tanod said:
No, that is completely wrong. Everything the PC can do, the PS3 can do. The "cooker" that is going to be released next week scales the graphics and that's about it.

Hmmm, okay. I'm very interested in seeing how it handles total or even partial conversion mods (mutators don't really count) with original art assets and code. Everything they've announced so far has to be accessed from within UEIII itself and fits into Epic's own preset lists (maps, mutators, gametypes). Will total conversion mods be accessed the same way or will you be able to load them straight from your HDD? I'm really interested in how they're going to handle that.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
levious said:
yeah, that's all that's out so far, but I thought full mods would be coming as well.

Apparently they will be. Ploid was failing at being sarcastic, and he's still sore from yesterday.

Spire said:
Hmmm, okay. I'm very interested in seeing how it handles total or even partial conversion mods (mutators don't really count) with original art assets and code. Everything they've announced so far has to be accessed from within UEIII itself and fits into Epic's own preset lists (maps, mutators, gametypes). Will total conversion mods be accessed the same way or will you be able to load them straight from your HDD? I'm really interested in how they're going to handle that.

Rein did state support for mods.

Logically its in their best interest to show off and support this feature if nothing else as a showcase to sell more Unreal Engine technology to other devs.

*** I would presume straight from the hard disk.

spwolf

Spire said:

it would be smart to investigate stuff you are discussing... Obviously, you import mods to the HDD.

besada

Banned
Did Rein ever explicitly say it would support full conversion mods? Because Unreal considers maps to be mods, along with mutators. It would be a shame if that was all he meant. Anyone got a link where he specifically says "total conversions" or even says all the mods on PC will run on the PS3?

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
spwolf said:
it would be smart to investigate stuff you are discussing... Obviously, you import mods to the HDD.

I did. The only info we've received on it has the mods being imported from a memory card via an in-game UTIII menu, then the "mods" automatically transfer into your map, mutator, and gametype lists. They haven't explained how anything beyond that will work, total conversion mods obviously can't be accessed that way so I'm just wondering what their system for that will be.

Draft

Obviously he means mod mods, not just custom maps. It is irritating how everyone keeps calling custom maps "mods" but I guess that's understandable since we're dealing with a lot of console kids to which this a brave new world.

besada

Banned
Draft said:
Obviously he means mod mods, not just custom maps. It is irritating how everyone keeps calling custom maps "mods" but I guess that's understandable since we're dealing with a lot of console kids to which this a brave new world.

I'm just saying that's how UnrealED's page lists them. The FAQ lists "What Are Mods" and goes on to include maps, mutators, gametypes, and full conversion mods. So it's not so much what we think "mods" are, as it is what Mark Rein thinks "mods" are.

levious

besada said:
Did Rein ever explicitly say it would support full conversion mods? Because Unreal considers maps to be mods, along with mutators. It would be a shame if that was all he meant. Anyone got a link where he specifically says "total conversions" or even says all the mods on PC will run on the PS3?

good question, in the post were he announced the first user created maps for PS3 he said something like, "these new maps, mutator, and gametype(got pulled for a bug) represent just a taste of what modding will have to offer."

Draft

besada said:
I'm just saying that's how UnrealED's page lists them. The FAQ lists "What Are Mods" and goes on to include maps, mutators, gametypes, and full conversion mods. So it's not so much what we think "mods" are, as it is what Mark Rein thinks "mods" are.
I don't give a good god damn what Epic thinks. There are maps, there are mods, and if you're playing Unreal, there are mutators. Mods contain maps and maps may be modded, but a map is not a mod no matter how frequently that question is asked.

besada

Banned
Draft said:
I don't give a good god damn what Epic thinks. There are maps, there are mods, and if you're playing Unreal, there are mutators. Mods contain maps and maps may be modded, but a map is not a mod no matter how frequently that question is asked.

And that has what exactly to do with whether actual mods will show up on the PS3? IF Rein and Co call maps, mutators and gametypes mods, then I think it's a pretty good question to ascertain what they mean when they say it.

I mean, I agree with you, but neither of us is promising mods for the PS3, so our opinions mean exactly shit all.

Draft

besada said:
And that has what exactly to do with whether actual mods will show up on the PS3? IF Rein and Co call maps, mutators and gametypes mods, then I think it's a pretty good question to ascertain what they mean when they say it.

I mean, I agree with you, but neither of use is promising mods for the PS3, so our opinions mean exactly shit all.
I think Mark Rein is just being confusing. Obviously they mean real mods with custom textures and models and everything else you expect in a mod.

acevans2

Yessssssssss can't wait.

Is it technically possible for a mod to allow split-screen play? I'm just curious because it's one thing I would love to have with UT3 as it is.

besada

Banned
Draft said:
I think Mark Rein is just being confusing. Obviously they mean real mods with custom textures and models and everything else you expect in a mod.

I fervently hope so, although I like the vanilla UT3 enough to not get too upset no matter what happens.

JCBossman

Banned
Total conversion Mods take years to make, there have only been a handful for HL2 and it's been out for ages(and is ALOT more popular)

Top Bottom