• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 UTIII user mods due next week

RiverBed

Banned
Zophar said:
No, for good reason. Can you imagine writing C++ on a console?
not that kind of editing, obviously, but something like Crysis' editing or any other game where you select and position. I think Far Cry had one as well. Halo 3 comes to mind for consoles.

Ploid 3.0

So before UT3 launched and the map/mutator/editing thing was considered as mods and would never work. Now that this feature is in and apparently works it's not a real mod. I'd take this type of map editor over the crap timesplitters had anyway at least. So Epic did nothing new, why aren't there any headlines about how they failed (not counting PA's rant about transferring the custom data to their PS3's hdd).

SOLDIER

What exactly is this Mutator thing I keep reading about? I've only had the game for less than a week, so forgive my ignorance.

madmook

SOLDIER said:
What exactly is this Mutator thing I keep reading about? I've only had the game for less than a week, so forgive my ignorance.
When setting up a game, look at the on-screen button prompts for "Mutators". Go into that menu and you'll be able to mix-and-match any of the available mutators, which are little options that can change the game in various ways. There are descriptions as you scroll through them.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Ploid 3.0 said:
So before UT3 launched and the map/mutator/editing thing was considered as mods and would never work. Now that this feature is in and apparently works it's not a real mod. I'd take this type of map editor over the crap timesplitters had anyway at least. So Epic did nothing new, why aren't there any headlines about how they failed (not counting PA's rant about transferring the custom data to their PS3's hdd).

Custom maps have never been considered mods. Ever. And mutator and gametypes variants have never been considered mods. UTIII's release has nothing to do with how the mod community views those features.

Awesome news.

Surely this was the "bigger picture" some people envisioned.

JCBossman said:
Total conversion Mods take years to make, there have only been a handful for HL2 and it's been out for ages(and is ALOT more popular)

Are you nuts? There are loads of them for HL2.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Metalmurphy said:
Are you nuts. There are loads of them for HL2.

He's probably talking about mods worth downloading, of which there are few. There is a ton of stuff on the horizon though that looks pretty ace.

"The UT3 mods I've played seemed to be complete terrain edits, though I could be wrong."

The only UT3 PS3 custom content that's been released (and on PC as well so far) are just Maps and mutators, with one new gametype that just uses the existing content.

A complete TC will be uh...awhile. There's stuff like Jailbreak, Assault, Double Domination, etc. coming, but those won't be TCs either.

Spire said:
He's probably talking about mods worth downloading, of which there are few. There is a ton of stuff on the horizon though that looks pretty ace.

Insurgency
DragonBall Source
Perfect Dark:Source
Empires
Goldeneye Source
Pirates, Vikings and Knights II
SourceForts
Synergy
Fortress Forever
Dystopia
Eternal Silence
Digital Paintball Source
Weekday Warrior
Iron Grip : The Oppression
Ricochet: Source
Battle Grounds 2
Dodgeball
Eclipse

There are more then these. Some better then others but all worth downloading ;)

Teknopathetic said:
"There are more then these. Some better then others but all worth downloading ;)"

Nah, it's pretty much just Dystopia :p.

There are more ppl playing Hidden, Empires, Synergy, Insurgency and SourceForts then Dystopia :p

Battle Grounds 2 and Pirates Vikings and Knights II are pretty close to Dystopia as well.

"There are more ppl playing Hidden, Empires, Synergy, Insurgency and SourceForts then Dystopia :p

Battle Grounds 2 and Pirates Vikings and Knights II are pretty close to Dystopia as well."

That says more about the Source mod players than it does Dystopia.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Metalmurphy said:
Insurgency
Mudkip
DragonBall Source
Perfect Dark:Source
Empires
Goldeneye Source
Pirates, Vikings and Knights II
SourceForts
Synergy
Fortress Forever
Dystopia
Eternal Silence
Digital Paintball Source
Weekday Warrior
Iron Grip : The Oppression
Ricochet: Source
Battle Grounds 2
Dodgeball
Eclipse

There are more then these. Some better then others but all worth downloading ;)

Yeah, most of those aren't worth playing more than once and given the population of their servers, I'd say most people agree with me. There hasn't been any mod with any real lasting appeal,like with CS and DoD with the original HL.

Spire said:
Yeah, most of those aren't worth playing more than once and given the population of their servers, I'd say most people agree with me. There hasn't been any mod with any real lasting appeal,like with CS and DoD with the original HL.

GarrysMod? :p

I didn't list it cause it's not really a full conversion.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Metalmurphy said:
GarrysMod? :p

I didn't list it cause it's not really a full conversion.

Yeah, I'll give you that. It's nowhere close to CS or DoD, but it's the forerunner of the HL2 pack. I've actually enjoyed the single player HL2 mods more than the multiplayer stuff. Minerva, that CS/HL2 hybrid scifi pack, some other partial conversions have been enjoyable. And Black Mesa Source looks like sex on my face.

It's really kinda busted to mention CS and DoD (CS moreso), because nothing before or after CS is quite like CS. Maybe TF, but TFC was pretty quiet for a bit before TF2 hit.

doogles said:
Oh, you mean stuff like a completely different game. I thought it was more of a Forge vs. Terrain Edit conversation. Continue on, then.

Sad thing is... most people do...

I just want someone to update this UT2k4 mod to UT3 :D
ut2004mods_061204__061104_010.jpg

And these skins:
pic2_id390.jpg

1.jpg

1.jpg

1.jpg

Metalmurphy said:
Sad thing is... most people do...

I just want someone to update this UT2k4 mod to UT3 :D
I want a Katamari mod. And when I hit 200m, I can tap some D-Pad buttons, make Prince thrust his hip and go "Eff yeah!"

EDIT: holy crap, that's actually a mod

doogles said:
I want a Katamari mod. And when I hit 200m, I can tap some D-Pad buttons, make Prince thrust his hip and go "Eff yeah!"

EDIT: holy crap, that's actually a mod

Amazing the MOD scene is. :D

Ploid 3.0

That would be super. I'd transfer over to UT3 TF2 if TF2 ps3 get low on people. Also a UT3 TF2 can add in more maps (if the mod is of good quality) while the orange box TF2 won't.

Gotta Believe.

Top Bottom