• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 vs XBox 360 - A mainly technical comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
I guess I'm wondering why anyone should care about any of these points anymore. Isn't this just more dick waiving? We've seen games for both consoles and quite honestly, I don't see why we should care about sales from a consumer standpoint. It's more than obvious that both platforms will be supported by developers and each has a stable of good games in the pipeline.

This just reads like a PR checklist.

[x]graphickz
[x]sails
[x]sicksaxes
[x]Blew-RAI!

And for all the lip service in the opening concerning honest discussion and the real technical specifications, it's really nothing more than an opinion piece. And lol at the Ice Age comparison.

Wraith

MikeB said:
You could argue gaming in general is meaningless. Science and Technology is a hobby of mine just as much as gaming. So I enjoyed writing that piece. I will now have something to eat with my girlfriend and I hope later tonight to read some proper interesting feedback. Fingers crossed! :D

Honestly, you've gotten all of the important feedback you need. Many of the things you cite as 'fact' are either totally or partially untrue and you have a clear bias toward the PS3.

What kind of feedback do you want? "Great read, nice to see the PS3 getting the respect it deserves!" is not something you're going to see simply because you brought nothing new to the table, decided to poke the rabid fanboys with a stick, and did it all with a read that is totally dull.

If feedback is your goal, then we can lock the thread now.

Pug

God both the technical arguments and the Value for money crap was done long ago. The conclusion, on the technical side is if you really don't understand what you’re talking about and that means nearly everyone who hasn't worked on both machines, its best not regurgitate the spec ramblings from PR. As for value for money, its down to the consumer and at the moment Wii with its mediocre graphic technology and lack of video play back is busting Sony's and MS balls.

Mojovonio

Banned
Its funny because with the length of his post, you could estimate the time he started was withing a 2 minute time frame from when Ninja Gaiden 2 was announced a 360 exclusive.

mellowbob

Its great to know that your girlfriends' preferences and upcoming future exclusives are mandatory components of any technical comparison. I look forward to your dogs opinion on wii motion sensing versus the ps3's motion sensing.

Zabka

Honestly I am a little fed up by all the (often faked) negativity surrounding the wonderful device the PS3 is and I hope this article may help fellow supporters to combat people who discredit or ridicule their enthusiasm for the platform.
Ever play any games on it?

pswii60

As for the BC (from a technical standpoint), I actually prefer the (more limited) BC on the 360. Mainly because it actually renders at the higher resolution rather than just upscaling like the PS3. It actually makes games like Halo look 'next-gen' in full 720p. Hell, even Super Monkey Ball looks great on 360.

nofi

Mojovonio said:
Its funny because with the length of his post, you could estimate the time he started was withing a 2 minute time frame from when Ninja Gaiden 2 was announced a 360 exclusive.

IT IS?!!?

*opens notepad*

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
wtf.gif

Busty said:
My Mom sayz the ps3 sux, but when 'Uncle Kaz' comes round she and him go upstairs and make 'animal noises'.......

Fixed.
Please shut your fucking pothole, i don't appreciate your random mom jokes for no reason at all.

gohepcat

Banned
MikeB said:
You could argue gaming in general is meaningless. Science and Technology is a hobby of mine just as much as gaming. So I enjoyed writing that piece. I will now have something to eat with my girlfriend and I hope later tonight to read some proper interesting feedback. Fingers crossed! :D

It's funny that claim you are looking for "proper interesting feedback". You are looking for nothing of the sort. You are simply brushing off all of the posts pointing out your ridiculousness.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
pswii60 said:
It actually makes games like Halo look 'next-gen' in full 720p.

Dude, no. It looks good, but nowhere near "next-gen." It's blurry, stretched, and riddled with ghosting.

drohne said:
even the power of the cell processor is incapable of neutralizing your pitiable desire to play halo 3. you'll to have to look into psychiatric medications, many of which can help you control irrational and self-destructive impulses

i want to play final fantasy 7, which console should i buy?

rs7k

MikeB said:
@ Sho_Nuff82

It's a summary of my discussions with XBox 360 and PS3 supporters. I wrote this today.

You are a quick reader BTW, it took me hours to write.

None of what you wrote actually matters. Nobody is using the PS3 architecture but Sony, and it's not doing better than 360 in a comparable amount of time, as PS3 units have been collecting dust on shelves since Xmas.

You really need to research your arguments better. With the reality of today's third-party development and market conditions, the PS3's architecture puts it a huge disadvantage in terms of accessible power. Your arguments remind me of E3 06.

pswii60

urk said:
Dude, no. It looks good, but nowhere near "next-gen." It's blurry, stretched, and riddled with ghosting.

That'll be your TV for sure.

What BS. Halo 2 is rendered in 720p, not stretched, not blurry - and ghosting would definitely bd your TV.

As for Halo, it's in 4:3 - perhaps you should adjust the aspect ratio on your TV.

EDIT: Here's a direct screen-grab of Halo 2 running on 360 that IGN took:

halo-2-20070411043831877.jpg

No stretching, blurring, or ghosting.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
360 bc won't render games in 720p -- unless of course they supported 720p on xbox1. it just upscales. ps3 will do the same thing. so will your hdtv.

pswii60

drohne said:
360 bc won't render games in 720p -- unless of course they supported 720p on xbox1. it just upscales. ps3 will do the same thing. so will your hdtv.

It does render them in 720p. Check out the Halo 2 on 360 screenshot above.

It works in the same way as PC emulators renders PSX/N64 etc games in higher resolution.

Wizman23

Banned
The "Halo's" do look like crap in BC. Everyone has ghosting in Halo 2 it has nothing to do with the tv but the emulator its running off of. Its also stretched to 720p not rendered.

pswii60 said:
It does render them in 720p. Check out the Halo 2 on 360 screenshot above.

360 doesn't render bc games including Halo 2 in 720p. It upscales them with a good amount of AA which creates a much smoother image on an HDTV, but the frame buffer the geometry is rendered to is definitely not 1280x720.

pswii60 said:
It works in the same way as PC emulators renders PSX/N64 etc games in higher resolution.

No.

supermackem said:
Apart from warhawk my collects dust.

It's that shiny black surface that does it. I suggest a Swiffer duster.

My reference to timeframe was a joke, because usually these "my tech specs are better than your tech specs" pieces dry up after all the systems are on the market, because gamers can play the games for themselves and see who's been blowing smoke up their asses.

Here's the problem with your 'technical analysis'

- You're not a multiconsole developer, and are thus unqualified to make claims based on the technical merits of each console
- You posted a picture of a Blu Ray next to a DVD!
- The PS3 trails the 360 by millions of units, and is currently being outsold by the 360 at this very moment in NA and PAL territories, while outselling the 360 in Japan. No other sales comparison means shit aside from the numbers we have right in front of us.

I just looked at your post history, and you clearly have it in for the 360 and MS in general (you've been in love with any thread that's RROD related), and you clearly have a hard-on for Sony and the 'unspoken features of the PS3' in general (you started that god-awful SPE usage thread).

You're either a Sony viral or the PS3's version of Deadmeat.

The "Halo's" do look like crap in BC. Everyone has ghosting in Halo 2 it has nothing to do with the tv but the emulator its running off of. Its also stretched to 720p not rendered.

Doesn't look like crap on my TV...

besada

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
I just looked at your post history, and you clearly have it in for the 360 and MS in general

Gee, a guy who's still rocking an Amiga avatar has it out for Microsoft. Who woulda guessed?

So for us the PS3 controllers wins hands down, especially as we see little use for vibrating controllers, it’s IMO cool for gunning but I mostly turned it off as IMO it’s overused, for instance it often is just a distraction or feels unrealistic with for instance your controller vibrating when you just died in a platform game. Rumble for me is not worth the battery-life, at least the PS2 controllers were wired (Rumble seems better implemented on the Wii-mote though).
Your poor girlfriend's sex life must be very dull.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
My reference to timeframe was a joke, because usually these "my tech specs are better than your tech specs" pieces dry up after all the systems are on the market, because gamers can play the games for themselves and see who's been blowing smoke up their asses.

Here's the problem with your 'technical analysis'

- You're not a multiconsole developer, and are thus unqualified to make claims based on the technical merits of each console
- You posted a picture of a Blu Ray next to a DVD!
- The PS3 trails the 360 by millions of units, and is currently being outsold by the 360 at this very moment in NA and PAL territories, while outselling the 360 in Japan. No other sales comparison means shit aside from the numbers we have right in front of us.

I just looked at your post history, and you clearly have it in for the 360 and MS in general (you've been in love with any thread that's RROD related), and you clearly have a hard-on for Sony and the 'unspoken features of the PS3' in general (you started that god-awful SPE usage thread).

You're either a Sony viral or the PS3's version of Deadmeat.

Doesn't look like crap on my TV...

how do you know when we dont even get PAL's numbers?

pswii60

Not sure I can be arsed arguing about the Halo 2 360 BC rendering resolution but it definitely isn't blurry, 480p, nor does it have ghosting on my HDTV. And it looks far, far crisper and higher-res than any PS2 game I have played on my PS3 - and I recently completely GoW2.

Akinola

MikeB said:
The PS3 is outperforming the Xbox 360 despite:

2) Being released in a more competitive market. The PS3 launched after a one year headstart for the Xbox 360 and launched around the same time as the much hyped Wii.

What?

my head hurts

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
pswii60 said:
That'll be your TV for sure.

:lol

Definitely looks better than the Xbox output, but nowhere near "next gen." And the ghosting has nothing to do with my television, but rather the software emulation. It's a common problem.

I'm playing on a Sammy LCD. In fact, it's the exact model you'll see Bungie using in their labs as testing and reference sets, though for Halo 3, they've obviously stepped up into the new models (and even some Sharp Aquos sets).

But, yeah.

pswii60

urk said:
:lol

Definitely looks better than the Xbox output, but nowhere near "next gen." And the ghosting has nothing to do with my television, but rather the software emulation. It's a common problem.

I'm playing on a Sammy LCD. In fact, it's the exact model you'll see Bungie using in their labs as testing and reference sets, though for Halo 3, they've obviously stepped up into the new models (and even some Sharp Aquos sets).

But, yeah.

Samsung LCDs are so 2005 ;)

DCharlie

Banned
needs more talk about games that are actually available.

ah, no - lets talk about tech instead !

Incidentally, i was thinking about buying an X360 or a PS3.
Could you guys give me some tips on which one to buy so i can shock you all at the end when i decide to buy a PS3?
I will follow this up with "which PS3 game should i buy over an X360 game"

we need more threads on this to desperately save the PS3!!!

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Takuan said:
Wow, PS3 upscaling is pretty impressive.

those ice age shots are actually a comparison between the dvd and the bd -- i've seen them before. ps3 upscaling is pretty impressive, but it isn't magic

pr0cs

this thread will end up in a firey mess of bannings and bitter fanboy tears.

no point to particpate really.. sorry.
the OP already made one PS3 thread, do we *REALLY* need another?

pswii60

DCharlie said:
needs more talk about games that are actually available.

ah, no - lets talk about tech instead !

Incidentally, i was thinking about buying an X360 or a PS3.
Could you guys give me some tips on which one to buy so i can shock you all at the end when i decide to buy a PS3?
I will follow this up with "which PS3 game should i buy over an X360 game"

we need more threads on this to desperately save the PS3!!!

You should buy a PS3. I hear that Heavenly Sword is great and will keep you going until Uncharted comes out in November.

inner-G

Banned
pswii60 said:
Not sure I can be arsed arguing about the Halo 2 360 BC rendering resolution but it definitely isn't blurry, 480p, nor does it have ghosting on my HDTV. And it looks far, far crisper and higher-res than any PS2 game I have played on my PS3 - and I recently completely GoW2.

Pop Odin Sphere in there.

Upscaled, it *almost* looks current-gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom