• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(PS3Linux) Open Platform for PS3 - site open with instructions

JeffDowns said:
test.png

hope this works...

hey what font is that your're using there?

SleazyC

Yep compiled mplayer and it worked fine. I'll take some screenies when I'm not so busy. So far it looks ok but was a bit choppy playing a 720p xvid encoded file.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
TwIsTeD said:
praise usenet, started 20 mins ago....will be done in 2 :lol YDL baby

Yeah, just got it and started installing it. I'll post results here.

Very easy, just a few new terms, its almost as hard as windows, only no keycode to enter :lol

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Being a total windows baby, what are the basics to compiling the mplayer source code?

SleazyC

Suikoguy said:
Being a total windows baby, what are the basics to compiling the mplayer source code?
It's not too bad, really you can download the source and just type "make install" and it could possible work out. I went through and configured some of the options to enable the GUI among other things but still am running into some road blocks mainly in playing h.264, wmv, and actually filling the screen when I select full screen mode (right now the video size remains the same and the rest of the screen is just put to black).

Anyone know if XVideo works? Just from poking around it doesn't look like its supported.

fubarduck

antiloop said:
Actually he says that he is using wi-fi in one of the vids and he can connect to the Internet. But it can be a lie I guess.
I was actually curious, so I sent the guy a message on Youtube and asked him. He replied, saying he actually didn't have the wireless working, he was going through a wire as well. As of now, the wireless is unsupported in YDL 5.0 (unless they release a driver for it later). Hooray for compulsive lying.

I'm a total Linux noob, but I've got some basic stuff going. Changed my resolution to 1080p by editing the boot file (if I tried changing my resolution via ps3videomode in a command prompt, my screen would turn to garbage and I would have to reboot). Sort of got the YUM stuff set up (although it doesn't do me much good until X-mas since I don't have an enhanced account).

The two main problems I'm having:
- Even if I change to 1080p, the image doesn't fill my whole screen. I have to stretch it with my HDTV's settings, or there will be black bars around all four sides.

- I'm too noob to get VLC working. Obviously I want to be able to play back 720p/1080p divx/WMV files which is the only redeeming quality about this for me since I already have an Xbox 1.

rubso

Banned
Suikoguy said:
just make sure that you X.org Development files and all other X Windows Dev Files, then start typing
Code:
./configure
note: mplayer gui is turned off by default
enable it by using
Code:
./configure --enable-gui
then
Code:
make
Code:
make install
use "gmplayer" command to run the gui enabled player, or you can just use "mplayer file.avi"
i hope that i helped you a lot :D

mrklaw

MrArseFace
fubarduck said:
The two main problems I'm having:
- Even if I change to 1080p, the image doesn't fill my whole screen. I have to stretch it with my HDTV's settings, or there will be black bars around all four sides.

try the fullscreen -f switch which turns on/off overscan.

as for mplayer/VLC - can't you distribute the compiled version? I.e someone else that knows what the hell they are doing compiles it, then I download it? :)

SleazyC

Here is my experiences with mplayer.

Plays mkv, h.264, xvid, divx all fine. No support for wmv at the moment and haven't tried out quicktime. The biggest problem I see is no support for XVideo or any openGL support (which was expected) thus no actual full screen modes available. Setting the player to full screen simply fills the screen with black outside of the original size of the video. Using mplayer -zoom -fs is glitchy on my ps3. Anyone had any success in getting full screen to work?

Suikoguy

Thanks for the step by step Yahso, i'll try it out when I get back home.

fubarduck

mrklaw said:
try the fullscreen -f switch which turns on/off overscan.

Thanks! Googled and found out I just had to add "128" to my mode # to get Fullscreen on boot-up. Works great now.

That having been said,
-No WiFi
-No full screen video playback
-Choppy 720p/1080i video playback

Is there any reason at all for installing YDL5 yet besides the dork-out factor? I'm not really seeing one unless some good PS3-specific applications are made.

fubarduck said:
Thanks! Googled and found out I just had to add "128" to my mode # to get Fullscreen on boot-up. Works great now.

That having been said,
-No WiFi
-No full screen video playback
-Choppy 720p/1080i video playback

Is there any reason at all for installing YDL5 yet besides the dork-out factor? I'm not really seeing one unless some good PS3-specific applications are made.

For me, it's going to be for MAME and other emus at first. I hope they iron out the video stuff, as that's quite desirable as well. No wireless is a huge pain, but that's *got* to be fixed soon. I can't imagine it won't be.

Danj

fubarduck said:

It's supposed to include optimized compilers and the Cell SDK, both of which are not present in other distributions. So theoretically, apps compiled under Yellow Dog on the PS3 ought to perform better than the same apps under another distro.

Leo the 3rd

Lord of the Manberries
Anyone running 1080i/1080p find an easy way to increase app fonts (other than doing each app individually)? 1080i on a 65" HDTV comes up with tiny fonts for me. And no, I can't do 720p on this current set.

Cool. I was missing exactly one step, which was to grab a file from their website.

Also, it's nice to know that they don't mean the whole HDD when they do the OS format!

Installing now... this will take some time.

TwIsTeD

noob question time....my dock disappeared and my lack of linux skill prevents me from bringing it back, any ideas?

edit: got it nm :D

SleazyC

Y2Kevbug11 said:
So nobody has tried an snes emulator?
I'll see if I can't get a version running or compile my own later tonight. Going to try MAME as well. I'll post back on my results.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
SleazyC said:
I'll see if I can't get a version running or compile my own later tonight. Going to try MAME as well. I'll post back on my results.

Let me know if you can. If you can get SNES emulators up (and post impressions/instructions! :D), Kev will be taking the plunge and will post media of his adventures and stuff.

Safe Bet

Banned
Rice-Eater said:
IGN has posted there YDL impressions. Nothing you guys haven't read or seen yet, but a nice read for anybody who is just now stumbling onto this thread

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/748/748255p1.html
That's the first time I've seen a major gamesite run an article on Yellow Dog.

Nice..

Hopefully it will create more "awareness" of it within the market which will hopefully in turn encourage Terra Soft and others to continue to improve the OS in terms of ease of use and media-playback functionality.

SON OF A ****ING BITCH!

I used an external USB HD to hold the loader files and such, and it ****ing installed Linux on the external drive.

40 ****ing gigs of stuff and I didn't have some of it backed up.

Be wary when you install! Set up the loader files on a flash card.

SleazyC

3ywv2xk.jpg

Yes that is Snes9x running on my PS3 ( playing Chrono Trigger none the less :p ). So far the only drawback is that sound is very choppy, but I just did a straight make without even touching anything. Better yet is... check this picture out..

33lkr2w.jpg

Thats right.... Snes9x actually detected my Sixaxis that I had left hooked up via USB to the PS3. Unfortunately I unplugged the controller from the USB cord thinking the wireless aspect was supported and it wasn't. Hooking it back up did nothing as far as dection of the controller went. Before I disconnected the pad I did confirm one thing, movement is handled by the analog stick. I didn't actually get to see how the mapping was but I am going to poke around some more and try to get YDL to recognize the controller again. I will also play around with some more roms and then go back and try to recompile getting sound working.

(And just for people inquiring, yes I do own the original CT SNES cart and the psOne re-release as well)

RuGalz

SleazyC said:
Yes that is Snes9x running on my PS3 ( playing Chrono Trigger none the less :p ). So far the only drawback is that sound is very choppy, but I just did a straight make without even touching anything. Better yet is... check this picture out..

Nice. Which source did you grab? I got the latest tarball but after make it was having trouble initializing video mode.

Danj

SleazyC said:
33lkr2w.jpg

Thats right.... Snes9x actually detected my Sixaxis that I had left hooked up via USB to the PS3. Unfortunately I unplugged the controller from the USB cord thinking the wireless aspect was supported and it wasn't. Hooking it back up did nothing as far as dection of the controller went.

This is because a) there is a USB SIXAXIS driver included in Yellow Dog and b) SIXAXIS requires a special signal to be sent to enable HID reports. I assume this gets sent at startup, so when you plugged it back in, you'd have to get the PS3 to send the initiation signal again to make it work.

SleazyC

Danj said:
This is because a) there is a USB SIXAXIS driver included in Yellow Dog and b) SIXAXIS requires a special signal to be sent to enable HID reports. I assume this gets sent at startup, so when you plugged it back in, you'd have to get the PS3 to send the initiation signal again to make it work.
Yep, after sitting there for a while the SIXAXIS was picked up again but it looks like without mapping only directional control (analog stick) and the Start button (L2) work. I want to try to get the sound output to work correctly before I get onto the mapping of buttons.

Argyle

I can't get AdvanceMAME/MESS/Menu to run, it doesn't like the PS3 fb driver so video doesn't initialize :(

On the other hand, I didn't have SDL installed, so I will try that next...(have a feeling I will need to rebuild, too :p)

SleazyC

Argyle said:
I can't get AdvanceMAME/MESS/Menu to run, it doesn't like the PS3 fb driver so video doesn't initialize :(

On the other hand, I didn't have SDL installed, so I will try that next...(have a feeling I will need to rebuild, too :p)
If you get SDL installed and running mind telling me what configuration you used? I kept getting errors relating to OpenGL (which is understandable) and tried disabling OpenGL but still came up empty handed.

Argyle

SleazyC said:
If you get SDL installed and running mind telling me what configuration you used? I kept getting errors relating to OpenGL (which is understandable) and tried disabling OpenGL but still came up empty handed.

I just installed the SDL package on the YDL disc, and rebuilt Advance*...

MAME takes a while to rebuild to I haven't finished building that yet, and I don't have any roms for MESS on the machine right now. I tried out menu to see if it would work, and it booted up fine...the sound is jacked tho. Has anyone figured out why? (as in, what output modes are acceptable for sound to work...I noticed that mplayer through OSS is fine but ALSA sounds like crap...and SDL, ALSA, and OSS all sound crappy with AdvanceMenu)...

Argyle

Bummer, gmplayer won't open MPEG2 transport streams directly. I converted a random 1080i file (one of the Philips HDTV demos) to try to play it, but it's too slow.

720p mpeg4 (divx? not sure about the file I tried) plays fine, 720p wmv is very slow, I imagine most SD stuff should work. Dunno if I have any 720p MPEG2 material lying around to try...

Getting mpeg2 ported to SPE might be kind of an interesting project, if only I had more free time...:)

SleazyC

You have any non-720p files laying around Argyle?

Not sure if I compiled mplayer wrong but I couldn't get anything to actually fullscreen as it would just fill the rest of the screenblack and center the original-sized video. I was hanging around in the yellow dog IRC channel and saw someone talking about getting mplayer to work with fullscreen and was just wondering what I was doing wrong. Any ideas?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
If my new PS3 works correctly, I'll write something about getting all this stuff to work correctly in the next 2 days. I've spend so much time tinkering with buggy/fubar linux distros in my years that these things shouldn't be a problem for me :)

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
SleazyC said:
Not sure if I compiled mplayer wrong but I couldn't get anything to actually fullscreen as it would just fill the rest of the screenblack and center the original-sized video. I was hanging around in the yellow dog IRC channel and saw someone talking about getting mplayer to work with fullscreen and was just wondering what I was doing wrong. Any ideas?

mplayer -zoom myFile.avi

rubso

Banned
hmm.. maybe you need to include ALSA or OSS Development files in the compiling process? just to fix the choppy audio issue in most of the applications you compile such as the snes emulator.

I now have ydl on my PS3, but I was so upset and pissed about losing my HDD data that I didn't really play with it. Instead I went verifying that I still had backups of all my important stuff.

The lack of wireless support is very annoying, I hope that gets fixed fast. Also, a more friendly boot selector is a must.

I'll be interested in getting MAME running above all else. How does it work with the sixaxis? Does it work at all?

Oh the irony if I end up using my wired 360 controller on the PS3!

Argyle

Well, I got AdvanceMAME running with good sound - had to force the sound driver to sdl in the rc file...oddly AdvanceMenu still sounds like crap even when I do that :(

Now, if only I could get it to go fullscreen when running X :) actually, here's a dumb question...how do I hide the dock thingy at the top of the screen...

Top Bottom