• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(PS3Linux) Open Platform for PS3 - site open with instructions

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So who wants to write up a step by step guide for me to install linux and get ZSNES running. :D

SleazyC

So anyone figured out a workaround for getting fullscreen to work in mplayer? Still don't think its possible without hardware scaling at the moment.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
SleazyC said:
So anyone figured out a workaround for getting fullscreen to work in mplayer? Still don't think its possible without hardware scaling at the moment.

What does mplayer -zoom do? What command line arguments are you passing to try and get it to display fullscreen?

RuGalz

iapetus said:
What does mplayer -zoom do? What command line arguments are you passing to try and get it to display fullscreen?
-zoom doesn't do anything
-fs will make the window full screen but the video portion is still original size.

SleazyC

iapetus said:
-zoom works for me but it uses software scaling and thus the video play slows down pretty noticably. Not only that you get some kind of weird scan lines going (or some type of vertical bars). With only x11 video mode supported at the moment looks like video play will be somewhat crippled for anything that isn't the native reso of your TV/Monitor.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
SleazyC said:
-zoom works for me but it uses software scaling and thus the video play slows down pretty noticably.

Well, that's what you've got to expect when you don't have hardware scaling. You might be able to get better performance by using a different scaling mode. From the documentation:

&#8722;sws <software scaler type> (also see &#8722;vf scale and &#8722;zoom)

Specify the software scaler algorithm to be used with the &#8722;zoom option. This affects video output drivers which lack hardware acceleration, e.g. x11.

Available types are:
0 - fast bilinear
1 - bilinear
2 - bicubic (good quality) (default)
3 - experimental
4 - nearest neighbor (bad quality)
5 - area
6 - luma bicubic / chroma bilinear
7 - gauss
8 - sincR
9 - lanczos
10 - natural bicubic spline

NOTE: Some &#8722;sws options are tunable. The description of the scale video filter has further information.

SleazyC said:
Not only that you get some kind of weird scan lines going (or some type of vertical bars). With only x11 video mode supported at the moment looks like video play will be somewhat crippled for anything that isn't the native reso of your TV/Monitor.

You may find you can get either better performance or better quality from one of the above options. Try fast bilinear, perhaps.

SleazyC

iapetus said:
Well, that's what you've got to expect when you don't have hardware scaling. You might be able to get better performance by using a different scaling mode. From the documentation:

&#8722;sws <software scaler type> (also see &#8722;vf scale and &#8722;zoom)

Specify the software scaler algorithm to be used with the &#8722;zoom option. This affects video output drivers which lack hardware acceleration, e.g. x11.

Available types are:
0 - fast bilinear
1 - bilinear
2 - bicubic (good quality) (default)
3 - experimental
4 - nearest neighbor (bad quality)
5 - area
6 - luma bicubic / chroma bilinear
7 - gauss
8 - sincR
9 - lanczos
10 - natural bicubic spline

NOTE: Some &#8722;sws options are tunable. The description of the scale video filter has further information.

You may find you can get either better performance or better quality from one of the above options. Try fast bilinear, perhaps.
Thanks I'll give this a try in a bit and get back to you with what happens.

EDIT - Ok played around with -sws and it did full screen without those weird scan lines/vertical bars but it still looks like software scaling for an h.264 file is out of the question. I did try a normal xvid file and it seemed to work fine with fast bilinear albeit I could pick out a tiny bit of video degredation (wasn't enough to bother me at the least). At this point my PS3 has a bit over my old modded Xbox running XMBC as it can play some of the xvid encoded files without slowdown. Not sure if I would replace my Xbox though seeing as it still can't play h.264 in full screen. Hopefully some of the smarter linux users out there (I'm a noob) can come out with better methods.

mackaveli

hi there,

i have a couple of questions about YDL and which ps3 i should use for it.

Right now, i can either open a 20gb or a 60gb. I would like to keep the 20gb because i save money and don't need wifi as i like using a wired connection. But you can only allocate 10gb so would 10/10 be enough for the ps3 os and linux? like demoes,trailers/save files/download content be fine with 10gb? I will probably upgrade the HDD but not for awhile.

Also, i read that i need to have the file install other os file on a cd or flash drive. I don't have any blank cds just dvds and don't really want to waste a dvd on the file. Can i use my ipod as a storage device to transfer the file??

Also, i know the link to the tutorial of installing it is somewhere in the thread but i dont know where. Can someone post a link again?

one last thing, is it easily to complie mplayer? where can i read about compiling it? i never compiled anything before. Is it possible for someone to make their own compilers and then post the file on the net so us linux newbies don't have to?

thanks.

Danj

mackaveli said:
one last thing, is it easily to complie mplayer? where can i read about compiling it? i never compiled anything before. Is it possible for someone to make their own compilers and then post the file on the net so us linux newbies don't have to?

I think you mean "binaries" not "compilers" (somebody already "made their own compilers and posted them on the net", it's called the Gnu Compiler Collection :lol ). But anyway on a more serious note, yes, assuming YDL has some sensible package management system, it should be possible for someone to create a binary package for it. It helps that the hardware is identical in everyone's case of course.

mackaveli

Danj said:
I think you mean "binaries" not "compilers" (somebody already "made their own compilers and posted them on the net", it's called the Gnu Compiler Collection :lol ). But anyway on a more serious note, yes, assuming YDL has some sensible package management system, it should be possible for someone to create a binary package for it. It helps that the hardware is identical in everyone's case of course.

lol.. i dont know anything about linux. i do want to test it out though. What does a compiler do then? Should i get that package Gnu Compiler Collection?

SleazyC

mackaveli said:
lol.. i dont know anything about linux. i do want to test it out though. What does a compiler do then? Should i get that package Gnu Compiler Collection?
GCC comes with the Yellow Dog install. Think of the compiler like workers that will specifically tailor the program to work on your system. When you compile the binaries you are actually building the program to run on your PS3.

You know what will be cool, when the wiili guys finish their linux driver for the wiimote, and somebody creates a very nice wiimote-enabled interface for mplayer/vlc.

RuGalz

mackaveli said:
All the basic stuff required to compile things are already installed when you install YDL. MPlayer is pretty easy to compile but if you don't want to deal with that someone can always send you binary...
10G for PS3, imo, is very little unless you do not plan to keep demos around and don't plan to install too many games to HDD imo. With my 60G drive, after PS3 reserve some space for whatever reasons (caching?), and 10G for Linux I had about 48G usable. After install RR7 and download all the demos I'm in the mid 30G already.

Installing the kboot stuff can be done through flash drive. I'm not sure what PS3 and Ipod's connectivity status is though.

_Angelus_

Banned
I'm another 20 GB owner and I'd love to have Linux installed on the system. You guys think its viable on a 20 GB model overall? I don't mind not having all the space for demos and videos,I don't even keep that many on my 360 so I'm sure the same will go for the PS3 for me. A little Mame and PS3 game saves is pretty much what I would have on the hard drive anyways.

How does one go about "installing" a game to the hard drive? You guys are actually installing the games? Which ones do this? I own Resistance and Untold Legends and don't remember reading anything in their manuals about doing something like this. I assume the load times are reduced after installing the games. How much so?

SleazyC

Angelus said:
I'm another 20 GB owner and I'd love to have Linux installed on the system. You guys think its viable on a 20 GB model overall? I don't mind not having all the space for demos and videos,I don't even keep that many on my 360 so I'm sure the same will go for the PS3 for me. A little Mame and PS3 game saves is pretty much what I would have on the hard drive anyways.

How does one go about "installing" a game to the hard drive? You guys are actually installing the games? Which ones do this? I own Resistance and Untold Legends and don't remember reading anything in their manuals about doing something like this. I assume the load times are reduced after installing the games. How much so?
Only certain games allow for "installation." Ridge Racer is one of them and its not actually a full install its just parts of the game are installed to speed up load time. Not sure how popular this will be with developers but it is totally optional.

As far as installing Linux on your PS3 goes, you can always use an external HD and install Linux there if you are worried about space constraints.

_Angelus_

Banned
SleazyC said:
Only certain games allow for "installation." Ridge Racer is one of them and its not actually a full install its just parts of the game are installed to speed up load time. Not sure how popular this will be with developers but it is totally optional.

As far as installing Linux on your PS3 goes, you can always use an external HD and install Linux there if you are worried about space constraints.

Well thats good to hear. An external hard drive is something I've been meaning to pick up. This bit of news only amplifies that now. But for now I'd be happy if you can install Linux on the 20 GB machine.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
SleazyC said:
Thanks I'll give this a try in a bit and get back to you with what happens.

EDIT - Ok played around with -sws and it did full screen without those weird scan lines/vertical bars but it still looks like software scaling for an h.264 file is out of the question. I did try a normal xvid file and it seemed to work fine with fast bilinear albeit I could pick out a tiny bit of video degredation (wasn't enough to bother me at the least). At this point my PS3 has a bit over my old modded Xbox running XMBC as it can play some of the xvid encoded files without slowdown. Not sure if I would replace my Xbox though seeing as it still can't play h.264 in full screen. Hopefully some of the smarter linux users out there (I'm a noob) can come out with better methods.

this might seem a silly question - but can't you use the PS3 native mode for h.264?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
mrklaw said:
this might seem a silly question - but can't you use the PS3 native mode for h.264?
The goal here would be to have an ultimate all in one video player (like XBMC but capable of HD playback too). So rebooting back to XBM to play a H.264 video is a tad annoying ;)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Blimblim said:
The goal here would be to have an ultimate all in one video player (like XBMC but capable of HD playback too). So rebooting back to XBM to play a H.264 video is a tad annoying ;)

fair enough I guess.

I'm betting on Sony delivering most of that in XMB, but perhaps without the Divx stuff. Which hopefully can be done with some kind of server side transcodePS3 style app.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
mrklaw said:
fair enough I guess.

I'm betting on Sony delivering most of that in XMB, but perhaps without the Divx stuff. Which hopefully can be done with some kind of server side transcodePS3 style app.
Sony won't ever deliver anything that could match XBMC feature set, and no one is expecting them to. They can't support WMV files, I doubt they'll be get the license for QT Sorenson files, they wouln't ever support .SRT files, or MKV for that matter. This is the type of thing I take for granted when using XBMC, and so far besides using a computer hooked up on my PC nothing has been able to do this for HD.
It looks like the PS3 framebuffer is fast enough for 720p playback, so at worse "just" optimizing the H.264/VC1 codecs for Cell, along with a Cell accelerated resizing algorithm should be good enough for all our needs. Of course being able to use RSX for video acceleration would be much better.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Blimblim said:
It looks like the PS3 framebuffer is fast enough for 720p playback

Do you mean just at the moment? Or is there a restriction on that (bandwidth or otherwise) that makes you think optimised implementations could not support 1080p +? Barring any restrictions, there's a lot of bandwidth to main memory, and an awful lot of internal bandwidth to LS etc. Assuming it is leveraged over time, Cell should be plenty for media playback functionality with a lot of headroom. It's pretty exciting to think what could be done over time, actually.

BTW, I have seen some interest expressed in porting ffmpeg to Cell by a few people, so hopefully something nice comes of that :) I saw some specific discussion of strategies for splitting h.264 decoding over the SPEs.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
gofreak said:
Do you mean just at the moment? Or is there a restriction on that (bandwidth or otherwise) that makes you think optimised implementations could not support 1080p +? Barring any restrictions, there's a lot of bandwidth to main memory, and an awful lot of internal bandwidth to LS etc. Assuming it is leveraged over time, Cell should be plenty for media playback functionality with a lot of headroom. It's pretty exciting to think what could be done over time, actually.
Well people are saying that they can play video in full screen when they use a fast resizing algorithmn, so it proves that the PS3 linux has enough bandwidth to send a full size framebuffer smoothly.
Edit: As far as I can tell there has been no recent discussion about cell/ps3 in the ffmpeg-devel mailing list.

garrickk

A poster on a thread at Arstechnica wrote the following:

MongooseIchiban said:
You forgot to mention later Terrasoft will sell 'pre-installed' Yellow Dog Playstation 3s. All the PS3 based distros come with the 'Cell SDK' if you like. You can write code for SPEs, etc. The only limit currently is no access to the RSX via hypervisor.

I'm planning on writing an OpenGL ES 1.1 implementation and porting a reference GLSL compiler to SPEs once I get my retail PS3. At least this way I can port all my OpenGL games and applications to Playstation 3, and I don't need to beg SCE for a RSX 'graphics driver'.

Link

Well, no RSX 3D acceleration support, but at least some OpenGL support on an SPE may get done. Interesting stuff.

SleazyC

StopMakingSense said:
I imagine ZSNES wont be possible, as it is written primariliy in x86 assembly.
It might be, I tried earlier after reading up on some people getting it working on PPC architectures but spent about an hour and a half looking for some libraries and just gave up. I am pretty sure that some of our more experienced linux users could get it up running.

SleazyC said:
It might be, I tried earlier after reading up on some people getting it working on PPC architectures but spent about an hour and a half looking for some libraries and just gave up. I am pretty sure that some of our more experienced linux users could get it up running.

Oh hey, whatdayaknow? Color me surprised.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
SleazyC said:
I'll give it a try as soon as I have access to the PS3 (playing Resistance right now for GSD3)

mxz

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't VLC player the only one that supports encoded audio output from capable xvid/divx encoded .avi files? As in AC3 multichannel output? MPlayer just outputs stereo.

ORANGUTAN

Banned
an introduction of sorts..

linux on ps3 is one of the main reason i got one. i've been using an 800mhz celeron, 128 ram, 14 gig hdd, etc., for the past 6 years. SO, i'm going to install this and use ps3 as my pc and throw out the old one.. i only need a pc for word processing, web browsing, openoffice, printing, etc.

anyways, i can't download a file this large, don't have a dvd-burner, and i'm also low on cash and can't drop $50 for the retal version of yellow dog later this month. is anyone willing to burn me a copy onto dvd and send it to me? i'll pay postage. i'll post impressions, troubles, pics, installation issues, short vids, everything.. i've never used linux and am basically a casual pc user with limited knowledge so this should be interesting. i need to get this setup and stable for regular use before january.

ORANGUTAN said:
an introduction of sorts..

linux on ps3 is one of the main reason i got one. i've been using an 800mhz celeron, 128 ram, 14 gig hdd, etc., for the past 6 years. SO, i'm going to install this and use ps3 as my pc and throw out the old one.. i only need a pc for word processing, web browsing, openoffice, printing, etc.

anyways, i can't download a file this large, don't have a dvd-burner, and i'm also low on cash and can't drop $50 for the retal version of yellow dog later this month. is anyone willing to burn me a copy onto dvd and send it to me? i'll pay postage. i'll post impressions, troubles, pics, installation issues, short vids, everything.. i've never used linux and am basically a casual pc user with limited knowledge so this should be interesting. i need to get this setup and stable for regular use before january.

There's sure to be many others like you... are there any issues with putting a PS3 linux distro (& apps) on a disc and selling through eBay? Some enterprising individual* could easily make a few quid.

*I'm lazy. :p

robochimp

I'm downloading it now and I would be more than happy to burn copies and send them out. It would probably work out to like $3.00-3.50(postage, mailer, DVD, paypal fee on my side I have a premier account) )

DHGamer

Can any Linux gurus help me with this one?

Anytime I try to install a RPM file it stops the installer with an error "Unable to retrieve software information" and says something about checking network connections. Firefox has no problem browsing the web so I'm at a complete loss.

tia

Phoenix

Can someone tell me if anyone out there has compiled a JVM (Java virtual machine) for the PS3? If so, which JDK was it.

(Please PM me)

Argyle

DHGamer said:
Can any Linux gurus help me with this one?

Anytime I try to install a RPM file it stops the installer with an error "Unable to retrieve software information" and says something about checking network connections. Firefox has no problem browsing the web so I'm at a complete loss.

tia

The YDL repositories aren't up yet - try editing the file that points at the respository (I don't know what it is offhand, sorry, maybe someone else can be more specific...I'll post again if I boot into Linux before someone else replies) and aim it at your install DVD for now.

Edit: You want to edit /etc/yum.repos.d/yellowdog-base.repo, mount your DVD drive to a directory and add a baseurl line to the file (for example, mine is mounted at /mnt/cdrom/, so I added the line baseurl=file:///mnt/cdrom/)

Phoenix: There're some Java rpm's on the DVD but I haven't looked into it. What do you need to know?

Phoenix

Argyle said:
The YDL repositories aren't up yet - try editing the file that points at the respository (I don't know what it is offhand, sorry, maybe someone else can be more specific...I'll post again if I boot into Linux before someone else replies) and aim it at your install DVD for now.

Phoenix: There're some Java rpm's on the DVD but I haven't looked into it. What do you need to know?

If you can install it, just run:

java -version from the command line.

I'm curious to know if its that lame as version of Java that's been going around of if its Sun's JVM so I can forward the information to the Java game development crowd that I work with.

Argyle

Phoenix said:
If you can install it, just run:

java -version from the command line.

I'm curious to know if its that lame as version of Java that's been going around of if its Sun's JVM so I can forward the information to the Java game development crowd that I work with.

java version "1.4.2"
gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.1.1 20060525 (Yellow Dog 4.1.1-1)

Does that help?

Does Sun distribute source for their JVM? Even if not, it's possible there might be PPC Linux binaries floating around, which may work...

Phoenix

Argyle said:
java version "1.4.2"
gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.1.1 20060525 (Yellow Dog 4.1.1-1)

Does that help?

Does Sun distribute source for their JVM? Even if not, it's possible there might be PPC Linux binaries floating around, which may work...

Yeah that's the nasty crappy GNU Java which is dog ass slow, old and barely compatible with anything. Sun does distribute the source to their JVM now. One can get the source from: https://openjdk.dev.java.net/ or more specifically https://openjdk.dev.java.net/hotspot/faq.html

You can pull the source right out of subversion.

If people can get that to work, there is significant interest :)

Argyle

Phoenix said:
Yeah that's the nasty crappy GNU Java which is dog ass slow, old and barely compatible with anything. Sun does distribute the source to their JVM now. One can get the source from: https://openjdk.dev.java.net/ or more specifically https://openjdk.dev.java.net/hotspot/faq.html

I might give it a try later tonight. Stay tuned. :)

DHGamer

Argyle said:

Edit: You want to edit /etc/yum.repos.d/yellowdog-base.repo, mount your DVD drive to a directory and add a baseurl line to the file (for example, mine is mounted at /mnt/cdrom/, so I added the line baseurl=file:///mnt/cdrom/)

Thanks for the detailed reply. Going to give it a shot in the morning.

Argyle

Phoenix said:

I took a quick look and it appears to me that what is in there is really set up to run on x86 only right now.

Since I'm guessing that getting it to run on PPC will take some effort (and since I personally am not that interested in getting it to work)...well, I think I'm going to bed now...sorry :)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
StopMakingSense said:
I imagine ZSNES wont be possible, as it is written primariliy in x86 assembly.
No, no, and no. ZSNES is x86 only, for the quoted reason: it's an x86 ASM app at its core. Yes, they've been working on converting various parts to C, but it's still a heavily arch-specific program(81% as of 1.43). Until the intel switch, thread posters on the ZSNES forums who ignored the FAQ and asked about a Mac port would get locked on the spot.

Bottom line: If you want to run ZSNES on a PPC, you have to do it emulating an x86 machine, period.

mxz said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't VLC player the only one that supports encoded audio output from capable xvid/divx encoded .avi files? As in AC3 multichannel output? MPlayer just outputs stereo.
You mean AC3 passthrough? Mplayer does it, and it does multispeaker output.

BTW, dig through `man mplayer` or the online docs as the mplayer devs won't give you the time of day. They're assholes, seriously.

mxz

Hitokage said:
You mean AC3 passthrough? Mplayer does it, and it does multispeaker output.

BTW, dig through `man mplayer` or the online docs as the mplayer devs won't give you the time of day. They're assholes, seriously.

So what's the situation currently with Linux on the PS3? Can MPlayer be successfully installed yet? Can it play videos full-screen? If not, how far do you think they are from getting something like a fully funcional player there?

mackaveli

need help, i cant get the other os installer working

i made a folder with ps3 then a folder otheros in it

and put the otheros.self and otheros.bld file in it

i put it on my ipod mini then connected it to my ps3. It detects the otheros.self file anad takes me to the install screen i press accept and so forth but then it says data is corrupt and wont install.

edit- im a mac if that does anything. Also i burnt it on a cd-rw from a mac in finder and it doesnt even detect the installer so i can't even get to the screen. I don't have a memory stick or cd-r or dvd-r to burn it on to.

I only have my ipod mini, shuffle or cd-rw to use it. i dont know why it says data is corrupt.

edit- what does The folder and/or file name contains no double-byte character. mean? i dont know what single-byte characters are. can someone host the .bld file for me for ydl maybe the site one is corrupted i dont know.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Its probably been posted already but YDL for the PS3 has been out in the regular spots for Torrent releases.

Just get Bittorrent and download the Install Disk/s

mackaveli

where do i type ps3videomode -v -3 and so forth to change resolution? i have no idea where to type it.

also can someone post a link to get mplayer and its already up and running cause i dont have a wired ethernet cable so ic an't use firefox in ydl.
thanks.

Top Bottom