• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 1.70 goes live on April 30th

In the intellectual property notice from the PS4 or on-line is Playready and WMDRM. WMDRM is the DRM used for DTCP-IP which is used for commercial DLNA. The combination of Playready and WMDRM is used for DLNA CVP2 which Sony has plans to support on all their CE platforms.

There can be other uses for WMDRM but Sony paying for WMDRM rather than using a Open source DRM means they have a need for a DRM standard between devices outside their ecosystem. DTCP-IP uses the less secure WMDRM only inside the home.

To my mind this 90% confirms DLNA was always planned for the PS4. DLNA CVP2 is the endgame goal for Sony CE platforms and the reason they started the DLNA.ORG in 2003. Playready can be used by Netflix and others but it must be supported by Sony (tied to the hardware and low level OS) so Playready support means nothing,

PS3, Xbox 360, WiiU already have DLNA CVP2 support in the works

Sony may be gaming the California Power board which is now deciding how to mandate power regulations for Game consoles. IPTV is sure to be regulated and DLNA CVP2 is IPTV. If Sony insists the PS4 is a game console not a STB and Game console they may evade some of the power regulations. This is the only reason I can find for the PS4 FAQ document saying that DLNA will not be supported on the PS4.

Iorv3th

Trying to remote play in to update my ps4 but can't get my vita to connect over the internet right now.

Maybe need to update the ps4 locally?

cackhyena

Yeah, it doesn't look noticeably dimmer. Or maybe I just didn't notice the difference. Has Sony said how much more power the dimmer saves?
Probably next to nothing. They don't take up much juice as it is. The dimming is more for the complaints of it being too bright in dark room, I'm assuming.

Tsundere

Banned
Touchpad keyboard works better then I expected. I do think that's it's just a tiny bit too sensitive.Just as I feared. Tried it but the differences are even smaller then I expected when I read the change log. Basically it's bright - bright and slightly less bright. Massive disappointment.

What did you expect? They said they wouldn't allow you to turn it off, so that implies that you'll still be able to see it no matter what setting you set it to.

Considering it's an LED, the amount that the lowest dim setting is at, is still a lot less bright than the full brightness.

In the intellectual property notice from the PS4 or on-line is Playready and WMDRM. WMDRM is the DRM used for DTCP-IP which is used for commercial DLNA. The combination of Playready and WMDRM is used for DLNA CVP2 which Sony has plans to support on all their CE platforms.

There can be other uses for WMDRM but Sony paying for WMDRM rather than using a Open source DRM means they have a need for a DRM standard between devices outside their ecosystem. DTCP-IP uses the less secure WMDRM only inside the home.

To my mind this 90% confirms DLNA was always planned for the PS4. DLNA CVP2 is the endgame goal for Sony CE platforms and the reason they started the DLNA.ORG in 2003. Playready can be used by Netflix and others but it must be supported by Sony (tied to the hardware and low level OS) so Playready support means nothing,

Sony may be gaming the California Power board which is now deciding how to mandate power regulations for Game consoles. IPTV is sure to be regulated and DLNA CVP2 is IPTV. If Sony insists the PS4 is a game console not a STB and Game console they may evade some of the power regulations. This is the only reason I can find for the PS4 FAQ document saying that DLNA will not be supported on the PS4.

Does that mean that for content to be streamed to the PS4 via DLNA, the PS4 and the content will have to handshake before it works ? Does it mean that I won't be able to stream Giant Bomb videos to my PS4 ?

Kssio_Aug

Someone know if they fixed that bug where the automatic video recording wasnt recording anything after the first 15 minutes? (What makes necessary to mannually put it to record after the first 15 minutes)

Chabbles

[USB]
ibr3kONauvgWH7.jpg

[Twitter]
Bl_X-C4IMAATcyH.jpg:orig

Edit,
Oops, wrong thread

clintar

I'm hopeful they fix whatever causes the ST95005620AS 500GB SSHD to not work in the PS4, but I doubt it would even be on their radar.

Too bad about transparencies. That's something you would think was easy to support.

I'm so excited. This actually worked! Booted up fine with this update!

mattp

share factory just shows up in your main horizontal list of games/apps
i dont know why you guys are searching the store for it

Jonnax

It sounds pretty exciting. How do you think Sony will go about announcing it? Enthusiasts know about DLNA etc., but the average consumer doesn't.

Do you think they'll demo a cable box streaming to the PS4 during E3?

mrJared

Banned
Do I have to change a setting so that I see streams in the highest resolution? Because they don't look HD at all. Look the same as before.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Hold on a minute... You can have a custom screensaver in the new update?!!
Wooooooo!
If someone figures out how to set it, please tell me. As far as I can tell there's nothing there. I want to set some Crunchyroll screencaps =[

I will repost here hoping Sony reads NeoGAF:

They have to fix this big problem (bug) with Optical cable and 5.1 on Games and Netflix:

- HDMI and Optical output audio at the same time, and there is no way to disable either one from doing that.

- Here is what happens: If you use HDMI for video and Optical audio, the HDMI input on your TV gets audio anyway (that's the way HDMI works).

- The HDMI Out port of PS4 handshakes with your TV and from the TV HDMI port gets the information about what audio formats it can receive/decode: TV Speakers usually receive just PCM stereo, so the PS4 is tricked into thinking you have a Stereo Setup and it gets confused.

- The only way to fix this would be to disable HDMI Audio (i don't mean turn down the volume, I mean turning completely off the decoding) on your TV. It would be more simple if PS4 gave us the option to disable "HDMI Audio Out " when Optical is selected.

Just to clarify:
Sound&Screen -> Audio Output Settings -> Primary Output port -> change it from HDMI to Optical (and then it allows you to e.g. only mark 5.1DD)
This doesn't fix that issue?

Quasar

It sounds pretty exciting. How do you think Sony will go about announcing it? Enthusiasts know about DLNA etc., but the average consumer doesn't.

Hell, I feel I'm a media enthusiast I don't understand this new version of DLNA. The current version I consider terrible compared to other media options like Plex, XBMC or even Google Cast.

So I don't know why I should be enthused about this new standard/protocol.

I still can't believe there's no pause option when downloading. I just turned on my ps4 a moment ago and it instantly started download a patch for MGS GZ. I had to cancel it after it downloaded 35MB due to my data allowance being not great.

Just to clarify:
Sound&Screen -> Audio Output Settings -> Primary Output port -> change it from HDMI to Optical (and then it allows you to e.g. only mark 5.1DD)
This doesn't fix that issue?

No it doesn't, because even when you select Optical, Audio keeps coming out from the HDMI Port simultaneously and the PS4 gets confused, because the HDMI port of the TV can only receive stereo audio.

Hell, I feel I'm a media enthusiast I don't understand this new version of DLNA. The current version I consider terrible compared to other media options like Plex, XBMC or even Google Cast.

So I don't know why I should be enthused about this new standard/protocol.
Try reading this DLNA CVP2 whitepaper.

DLNA CVP2 is a HTML5 app that has HTML5 features and the platform can support:

Java for XTV and Smart Home apps
Second screen
APIs for a DLNA 1.5 renderer/player
Playready for VOD and other streaming services
WMDRM for DLNA DTCP-IP
DASH adaptive IPTV streaming
APIs for HD Homerun tuners
Gesture control
Voice control
Web RTC supports Skype like video chat and combined with the below, Game streaming
Game controller APIs

It's also known as RVU which has it's origin in a 2007 CEA-2014 proposal to the FCC. It's evolved from DLNA 1.0 and a UI which is a picture of the DVR menu to DLNA 1.5 and a HTML5 menu. Cable companies have to comply with the FCC mandate of June 2 2014 but the DLNA.org won't have compliance tests till September and HTML5 which is a major part of DLNA CVP2 will reach 5.0 candidate status late this year...probably September or October.

We have seen working versions of DLNA CVP2 being demoed on the PS3 and PS4 at CES. Satellite, DISH and Direct TV are now advertising RVU (Hopper) and Smart TVs without a STB or wires connected to the Satellite DVR (wireless home network). Samsung worked with Dish and Direct TV to provide RVU Smart TVs and just after the DLNA CVP2 standards were published in March they are being advertised but in advance of the DLNA.ORG compliance tests. Sony can do the same as they are part of the DLNA.ORG...so who knows........

The PS4 OS has to be secure and has to support power modes as well as AOAC low power network standby and Bluetooth 4.0 (LE). What's planned is enormous.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
share factory just shows up in your main horizontal list of games/apps
i dont know why you guys are searching the store for it

ya but you still have to d/l it its like 1gb file then ends up being a 2gb file once installed

Top Bottom