• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 1.70 goes live on April 30th

Tratorn

I hope they at least fixed the automatic recording bug, else this update is almost useless except for some cool things like pre-loading.

Still hoping for stealth-updates, but especially the "new PS+ icon"-thing is making it almost clear that there won't be really more.

The console launched 6 months ago and they can't even implement simple most wanted features like online notifications...

Spaulding

Yeah, I just changed mine to the Lambda from Half Life and I think it only appears when people know your real name.

That is correct, since you're not changing your avatar but your profile picture. Check your profile on PS4 and you can see both pictures.

Metfanant

That is correct, since you're not changing your avatar but your profile picture. Check your profile on PS4 and you can see both pictures.
absolutely dumbest thing ever...this is typical Sony..their software people are just so out of touch with reality it's obnoxious lol...

No pausing and organising downloads? One of the most basic features still appears to be missing.

and

I still can't change my user name.

I'm sorry...did I miss when Sony said anything to cause you to expect those features to be included

I hope they at least fixed the automatic recording bug, else this update is almost useless except for some cool things like pre-loading.

Still hoping for stealth-updates, but especially the "new PS+ icon"-thing is making it almost clear that there won't be really more.

The console launched 6 months ago and they can't even implement simple most wanted features like online notifications...

They video recording problem is well know and is being worked on. Also keep in mind that the PS4 launched in Japan late February, all of the OS/network team was busy making sure everything goes smoothly, so really only now there's more time to work on stuff like Firmware updates. We cant have everything right away :)

I'm sorry...did I miss when Sony said anything to cause you to expect those features to be included

To be fair, there was a lot of talk about the update possibly having hidden features. I guess people's hopes got the better of them, I know mine did as I thought Sony would surely have added in the option to pause downloads at the very least....

hawk2025

To be fair, there was a lot of talk about the update possibly having hidden features. I guess people's hopes got the better of them, I know mine did as I thought Sony would surely have added in the option to pause downloads at the very least....

The update was announced as HDCP Off, ShareFactory, and preloading.

There's a metric-ton of "hidden features".

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Nope, you'd say "PlayStation, Killzone, Start". Though it would be more intuitive if they made it "PlayStation, start Killzone".

Having the start at the end adds a layer of confirmation without breaking the natural language too much, eg I was trying to launch trials, and said 'playstation trials' but it highlighted something else (can't remember). It wanted me to say 'trials fusion'. With start in the middle it would have launched the wrong game.

(PS4 is usually pretty good at not needing the full title, unlike Xbox which can be fussier)

Metfanant

And at what point do people learn not to let their imaginations run wild?

The update was announced as HDCP Off, ShareFactory, and preloading.

There's a metric-ton of "hidden features".

Is there a list of the hidden features uncovered so far?

And at what point do people learn not to let their imaginations run wild?

Well hoping for as basic an option as pausing downloads isn't really people's imaginations running wild. I do get the point though and I agree that perhaps it's best not to expect too much in terms of hidden features, but I can't agree that some people let their imaginations run wild with hopes of their being folders or the option to pause downloads.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Depends what you think of as priority and basic functions. I don't see any of those as necessary, but considering how much I have used share, I do see improvements and a video editor rather important. People have different priorities.

This. I hope people have patience. There is a huge list of things people want - some clearly missing features, others are changes to how it works currently which Sony might not even be considering. You know we can't have everything at once. People posting how 'feature X' is clearly the most important and it is inexcusable not to have it by now doesn't help, just clogs up threads

dolabla

Is it available in the US too? Scared to turn on my PS4, because I'm under a bad lightning storm and a Tornado warning.............

ymmv

Banned
i only glanced at his recent post history but they kind of all had a combative tone to them? might not have been the post in this thread?

Disagreeing that 1.70 is a substantial update is akin to being aggressive? He was right about that. 1.70 doesn't have anything I'm interested in. Where's MP3/DLNA/CD/3D Blu-Ray support? Where's the Susprend/Resume feature that was showcased as a major next gen feature? Folders?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Disagreeing that 1.70 is a substantial update is akin to being aggressive?

no not that. in other threads

like i said i only glanced at it...but seemed like in every thread he was arguing about something with someone. whatevers. im not a mod. don't really want to get into this...less getting banned myself :)

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
i only glanced at his recent post history but they kind of all had a combative tone to them? might not have been the post in this thread?
I put him on ignore based on his activity in the Driveclub thread. Guess I was onto something.

hawk2025

Well hoping for as basic an option as pausing downloads isn't really people's imaginations running wild. I do get the point though and I agree that perhaps it's best not to expect too much in terms of hidden features, but I can't agree that some people let their imaginations run wild with hopes of their being folders or the option to pause downloads.

hm?

(Everything that was made official with today's blog post) - (The three things that were announced) = "hidden features"

Shin-Ra

More extensive change log from the update:

13885306389_7c71c8270d_o.png

Metfanant

Expecting ANYTHING...that is announced is expecting too much...you're just asking for disappointment...when they say "this and this and this are coming" take them at their word and be happy if anything else slips in...

It's the same concept as when some talking head that works for Game Informer or something tweets that they have an awesome announcement...people let their imaginations go bananas and then flip out when the announcement is Sack Boy DLC for Killzone or something stupid...

Touchpad to type seems bad compared to motion controls, the touchpad just isn't sensitive enough, even on the PC I had to turn the sensitivity down in order to make it manageable. I would still rather have touchpad control in the web-browser rather than the sticks, so long as I can keep the sensitivity low enough to make it work well.

The controllers light never caused issues with my set-up but I still turned it down, but yeah, it's still going to cause people issues. They need to just let you turn it off like you can on the PC.

Other than that I haven't seen too much else that interests me.

Feorax

Just updated, no sharefactory link yet on the homepage. I assume that's coming later today?

Edit: nevermind, it's up in the store.

Caayn

Touchpad keyboard works better then I expected. I do think that's it's just a tiny bit too sensitive.
installed. the light bar on dim is hardly what I expected. nowhere near off. you'll see it.
Just as I feared. Tried it but the differences are even smaller then I expected when I read the change log. Basically it's bright - bright and slightly less bright. Massive disappointment.

Downloaded Sharefactory, its a separate 1GB app.

And for some reason I'm getting 50MB speed on my modest 10MB line, downloaded 1GB in like 4 minutes lol.

Top Bottom