• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 can't play MP3, Music Unlimited needed for background music [Up:Yoshida responds]

Status
Not open for further replies.
No idea, but hopefully things like suspend, DLNA and MP3 stuff is in the next update.
Just imagine if
Sony had some insanely amazing update after their launch update but after the back lash they where just like... "well I guess we could push back this update for this other one"

P̶S̶1̶/̶P̶S̶2̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶a̶t̶i̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I had a second confirmation last night so it'll come. It's just a shame they got Music Unlimited up first, but the appropriate backlash has at least gotten a couple of responses out of them rather than flat out ignoring it like they used to.

Thank you so much! I've been one of the biggest whiners in this thread, but I really think letting them know is the most important thing we can do. is there any idea of how long that window is? And why the hell was it left out in the first place?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Would it be correct to assume that suspend / resume is working but not 100%, hence the delay?

they've been talking about it non-stop since February. Of course it's working but not 100% heh. Better question is "what percent?" Hopefully like 95-98%, not like 5-15%.

just thinking back to things like "XMB while in a game".... shudder...........

btkadams

I had a second confirmation last night so it'll come. It's just a shame they got Music Unlimited up first, but the appropriate backlash has at least gotten a couple of responses out of them rather than flat out ignoring it like they used to.

For both, actually. I wouldn't be shocked to see some priorities get shuffled because of this.

Right, especially if we're looking at launch firmware.

No idea, but hopefully things like suspend, DLNA and MP3 stuff is in the next update.
wow, this is great to hear! i hope it comes in the next update as well.

Tsundere

Banned
Not the same thing.

Eh, the whole MP3 issue is due to the fact that you can't play them in the background, not that you can't play them at all. The functionality to send the audio feed from another application while a game/other app is being used is already in place.

I highly doubt they will ignore the outcry at this critical stage

Not for features that are this simple to implement

Wont be there at launch though

Mindlog

Happy to hear. Gaming and podcasts are an excellent combination.

btkadams

yeah, i'm definitely not resubscribing to music unlimited then. the service would actually be tempting if it offered an itunes match function as well (letting you upload your own music that the service doesn't have), but it's really undesirable for me in its current state.

They ever going to ease up on the External HDD situation?

Pretty sure lots of people stick run media from portable drives as well

Seems silly such standard PS3 features are omitted in PS4.

Launch Rush priorities i guess

Eh, the whole MP3 issue is due to the fact that you can't play them in the background, not that you can't play them at all. The functionality to send the audio feed from another application while a game/other app is being used is already in place.
I'm more concerned with simply playing music from my media center (gaming PC in separate area of the house) through the PS4 which feeds audio into my home theater system. I'm less concerned with playing music in the background of games.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
They ever going to ease up on the External HDD situation?

Pretty sure lots of people stick run media from portable drives as well

Seems silly such standard PS3 features are omitted in PS4.

Launch Rush priorities i guess

Isn't the external HDD stuff only for game data?

Zoe

Not really. Because that wouldn't exclude other formats from being used.

I can begrudgingly understand from a business standpoint introducing Music Unlimited at launch, with mp3/DLNA later. What I wouldn't have tolerated was the original assumption that it was stopping DLNA/mp3 from ever happening.

Whether that FAQ was just a poor communication of what was available at launch, or the community response convinced Sony to include DLNA/mp3 when they otherwise wouldn't have at all...the world may never know.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I'm more concerned with simply playing music from my media center (gaming PC in separate area of the house) through the PS4 which feeds audio into my home theater system. I'm less concerned with playing music in the background of games.

Same here... it has nothing to do with in game music, although that would be nice if they had that. THat being said, there is absolutely no excuse for no .mp3 support... there was no struggle trying to get it to work, they tried to sell their product, period. Luckily they realized we didn't take well to it, and hopefully it's soon after release, not months.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
You can hook up an external drive?
The FAQ sounds like a no.

Though I imagine you have to if you want to backup and restore.
Those options still need to be in there no?

correct. Their HD Q/A almost definitely speaks to "game storage", not "if you hook up a USB HDD time will end". If changing HDDs is there at launch, backup/restore is there at launch and needs USB storage.

teiresias

Right, especially if we're looking at launch firmware.

To be honest, the problem isn't even so much that the functionality isn't in the shipping or Day 1 firmware, or that it may not come for a number of months.

The problem is that the FAQ was specifically worded in such a way that it made it sound like the issue was done and finished and the answer was "Nope, you're not getting DLNA and you're not getting MP3s, here's Music Unlimited instead - subscribe or no music for you."

Pile on top of that that asinine contest about Music Unlimited posted on the EU Blog and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that it's an absolute tone-deaf way to approach this issue.

There wouldn't have been nearly any outcry if the FAQ had simply said, "Not at launch but in a future firmware," which it did say for certain things, but didn't say that for DLNA or MP3 playback, so why the discrepancy? I don't doubt your sources, but I can't imagine the language in the FAQ wasn't parsed enough to realize that wording would be a problem. If it was just overlooked whoever apparently just recently got promoted in the PR department in Sony needs to be demoted back to wherever they came from because they're completely screwing up the company's messaging with weeks to go until launch.

Massa

I can begrudgingly understand from a business standpoint introducing Music Unlimited at launch, with mp3/DLNA later. What I wouldn't have tolerated was the original assumption that it was stopping DLNA/mp3 from ever happening.

Whether that FAQ was just a poor communication of what was available at launch, or the community response convinced Sony to include DLNA/mp3 when they otherwise wouldn't have at all...the world may never know.

I don't believe Sony is a company where Playstation would gimp their product for the benefit of another division's product.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I don't believe Sony is a company where Playstation would gimp their product for the benefit of another division's product.

You...really...truly have far too much faith in Sony. And, for that matter, any company at all ever in history.

Krakn3Dfx

Good stuff, what I had heard only covered DLNA, but I was assuming both would make a return post-launch.

Can I remote play my vita which is playing an mp3 through the ps4 while playing a ps4 game?

Mortimer will start his #PS4HaveMP3SUPPORT4VitaREMOTEPLAY4THEPLAYER campaign shortly.

Rolls off the tongue and everything.

Tsundere

Banned
According to the FAQ

External HDDs are not supported at all

"Will users be able to connect an external hard drive to expand storage on PS4?
No, this feature is not supported on PS4."

You can use external storage/USB to update your system, but you need to boot into safe mode to do it.

I suspect they haven't gotten around to setting up DRM for content that would be saved on external devices (movies/music/etc.) and is why this feature isn't supported at launch.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
According to the FAQ

External HDDs are not supported at all

"Will users be able to connect an external hard drive to expand storage on PS4?
No, this feature is not supported on PS4."

But wait, if I connect a USB-Stick to my PS3, I dont expand my storage, but I have the possibility to copy data from or to my PS3.

For me, this is something diffrent than expand my storage.

Then you dont know business.

They need to make their money back somewhere

Losing money on PS4, Losing on PSplus to some degree I assume

They blocked using PS3 controllers and other peripherals for obvious reasons (its one of the areas where sony typically makes high margin returns)

I can't fault them too much but expect them to have to cave in on certain things to pursue profit guys. Nature of the beast.

So I guess Xbone doesn't support these features too considering Nelson never got back to us about it.
And considering how quick they said that the Xbone has suspend and sleep mode after Sony said it wasn't going to be ready for launch.

But wait, if I connect a USB-Stick to my PS3, I dont expand my storage, but I have the possibility to copy data from or to my PS3.

For me, this is something diffrent than expand my storage.

Hmmm

This is an area that really needs clarity

I assume they do not have and form of media player right?

I remember the Fact sheet for PS3 showing off all the media formats it supported for playback. Is there any such listing for PS4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom