• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Controller - Dualshock 4 Unveilved

The new controller is nice, but I'm actually gonna miss the old DualShock design. It was so iconic, so much so that it's silhouette is used to signify "video games" on all platforms.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Is it true that the shoulder buttons will be digital like the Wii U?

Mik_Pad

Banned
Just read this:
"The most obvious thing are the elements that - for example, PC games sometimes took advantage of extra gamer-friendly keyboards with LCD displays. If I'm not mistaken, the touchpad allows you to display things as well, so that's one of the things. Probably a lot of other people are going to be doing user-interface elements on it - it's the thing that comes to mind first. I still don't know 100 per cent of what things are going to be implemented in [his game].
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-22-quantic-dream-very-interested-in-ps4-touchpad-for-designing-games-that-are-adapted-to-a-larger-audience

Has there been something mentioned about the touchpad being able to display images??

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That sounds false--I thought somebody at Sony confirmed that it was just a touchpad?

VanWinkle

Someone else said something along those lines (i think from the dev of that F2P FPS coming to PS4), but I think they are just mistaken. At least in the prototype it's definitely just a touchpad.

It is actually very odd that developers either working on the thing or at least in the know about this stuff don't realize this.

I'm excited to get my hands on this controller. Hoping Sony does some kind of marketing tour with PS4 like they did with Vita before release where they were at the big malls showing the Vita off.

fixuis

I would absolutely love it if it was a display as well. So many possibilities. I think someone here did a nice mock with ui elements running on it. Looked very slick.

Oppo

no, but I'm convinced the reason it is rounded over the front of the controller is because that's a hinge and when you 'click' it it flips up

I think you're going to be disappointed. There's no reason to believe that thing flips out. They would have shown that at the event, if it did.

onQ123

That would be crazy if the DS4 was actually this but I doubt it

touchpad.jpg

blade.jpg

Wasn't it said that the controller had hidden features (which is why it wasn't available for the press to go hands-on), or am I imagining things?

It would be nice if it had "monochromatic" LCD display. Like a nice blue. Would be cool if they can overlay whatever icons they want. It would be super cheap but yet very useful.

I'm thinking gestures can solve a lot of these. I wish the pad had two points of touch though, one on the left and right. I just hope devs have enough sense to utilize extra inputs for games like RPGs. Gestures could be great, especially if you could customize certain things certain ways. I swear it'd give multiplats an advantage over the Durango controller.

The only reason I want a screen is for texting. For that, I think a monochromatic screen could be useful. Or a nice little accessory is just as good, controller seems better suited for it now a la 360 chat pad

A main interest with the pad for me is hoping to see more games that are usually more PC-oriented. Wonder how good a console based RTS or TBS game could be. Something like Civ Rev 2 or XCOM, or Starcraft.

Shuhei Yoshida, head of Sony worldwide studios is quoted to have said the controller is 'near final' with a few tweaks left to go. The reason the console wasn't shown off was because it is not actually finished, the design and spec.

this sounds interesting...I guess they are waiting for MS to reveal final clock speeds? so they can increase PS4's cpu and gpu clocks?!

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
He does mention a "few tweaks" still being necessary...but I didn't read that to mean "hidden features". I thought they pretty much spelled out all the features of the controller.

We'll see, but since the first moment I saw that controller I asked myself why the hell they bothered to make it more difficult to build by rounding the touchpad around the back of the controller. I honestly think the reason is that it's a hinge. If you look at a picture of it you'll see a large gap in that pad at the back. I think that is because it needs room to slide into the controller when it flips up to the reveal the REAL deal

QaaQer

It would be nice if it had "monochromatic" LCD display. Like a nice blue. Would be cool if they can overlay whatever icons they want. It would be super cheap but yet very useful.

It really would be a great addon, and very very very useful for menus and whatnot. it might even make navigation in ps4 console games better than on pc.

Mik_Pad

Banned
Perhaps the little 'dots' on it light up so you can show icons, etc?

That would be cool... but the controller is sounding expensive :)
Well I think since Sony have said in many occasions that the controller that we saw at GDC or the PS Meeting was a mockup meaning it could change, maybe they wanted to keep the feature secret and reveal it at E3 or maybe they didn't want the bad press about "copying" nintendo.

Personally I don't care too much if it displays images but it could be cool if they manage to differ from what Wii U is offering.

Nerix

New news, new thread?

Seems to be quite interesting. But given that he works for some third party developer (City Interactive?) I am not so sure if he really knows what he is talking about (an he doesn´t seem to be sure either, stating "If I´m not mistaken" just before the relevant part).

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
New news, new thread?

Seems to be quite interesting. But given that he works for some a third party developer (City Interactive?) I am not so sure if he really knows what he is talking about (an he doesn´t seem to be sure either, stating "If I´m not mistaken" just before the relevant part).

He's second party and had a hand in designing the PS4 and the controller

Mik_Pad

Banned
New news, new thread?

Seems to be quite interesting. But given that he works for some a third party developer (City Interactive?) I am not so sure if he really knows what he is talking about (an he doesn´t seem to be sure either, stating "If I´m not mistaken" just before the relevant part).
In the article it mentions that they have been working in a nextgen RPG for 2 years so he may know something or maybe he just saw a mockup online lol.

grumble

My guess is that no one uses the motion control or the touchpad on the device in games. No one used motion control this gen, and the touchpad is awkwardly placed so that devs will struggle to find a use for it.

Mik_Pad

Banned
He's second party and had a hand in designing the PS4 and the controller
You are confused the article talks about 2 different devs the first being Quantic Dreams expressing how happy they are that now you will be able to "Swipe" to Jason and the second one is from City Interactive the devs of Sniper.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
You are confused the article talks about 2 different devs the first being Quantic Dreams expressing how happy they are that now you will be able to "Swipe" to Jason and the second one is from City Interactive the devs of Sniper.

Oh ... silly me. I just flicked through the quotes.

Still wish they would move the sticks away from the button middle. Playstation controllers have always been historically less comfortable because of that late design choice. I fear they are going for that iconic look over actual functionality.

I don't think it is a screen.

Mark Cerny said that by reducing the number of analog buttons they were able to reduce the amount of data being transmitted and hence reduce controller latency (not that the DS3 had any issue with that)..... if they suddenly had to transmit data for a display wouldn't that be opposite to what they have been saying?

Mik_Pad

Banned
I don't think it is a screen.

Mark Cerny said that by reducing the number of analog buttons they were able to reduce the amount of data being transmitted and hence reduce controller latency (not that the DS3 had any issue with that)..... if they suddenly had to transmit data for a display wouldn't that be opposite to what they have been saying?
We have seen what Nintendo accomplished with the Gamepad in terms of lag, while I haven't tested it first hand supposedly the lag of the screen in the gamepad is less than the lag generated by the TV.

cornerman

We'll see, but since the first moment I saw that controller I asked myself why the hell they bothered to make it more difficult to build by rounding the touchpad around the back of the controller. I honestly think the reason is that it's a hinge. If you look at a picture of it you'll see a large gap in that pad at the back. I think that is because it needs room to slide into the controller when it flips up to the reveal the REAL deal

I've seen that theory...and I think its pretty reasonable. But why have a hinge and not just a unobstructed screen? Purely as a surprise? Protection? Glare reduction? Interesting theory nonetheless.

Top Bottom