• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Controller - Dualshock 4 Unveilved

ant1532

Banned
everything about this controller looks great besides the damn d pad. damn it.
really though, if I saw this as a kid like when the first playstation controller came out i would be like WHAT THE FAK DA FUTURE

flattie

everything about this controller looks great besides the damn d pad. damn it.
really though, if I saw this as a kid like when the first playstation controller came out i would be like WHAT THE FAK DA FUTURE

What's wrong with the d-pad? (Genuine question)

flattie

still has the classic sony dpad, which i hate for fighting games. makes shoryuken movements terrible. just make it a fully surfaced dpad :I

Fair enough - thought some more detail might have been released regarding the d-pad, hence the question.

imHttdVM6xAJs.gif

M1ly3CT.jpg

wizzbang

Banned
Sorry to bump this old thread but I'm looking at that really giant comparison pic and I just noticed the height of the analog sticks on the new controller is lower.
That means "less throw" for lack of a better term on the stick and therefore even more difficult to aim / steer accurately.
I got some racing extention things which I forget the name of which really helped on PS3 - I suspect those may really be needed here.
EDIT: Found em - was called "Kontrolfreak" surprisingly great for a little plastic molding, seriously.

Furthermore, while the trigger action looks improved my little plastic molding PS3 triggers from ebay (also amazing things) won't work on the new one, wonder if they'll be needed.

Finally, the 'handles' look quite thin. I've noticed the PS3 controller is a bit small for me TBH and I'd prefer thicker handles :( they used to have these PS2 rubber grips which basically fit around the entire controller, maybe silicon - really great idea (I never tried them) - did anyone? and if so, any comments? Might be needed here too.

EDIT: Animated gif is amazing.
The 4 buttons on the right for main actions, look closer, more accidental presses?
Dpad? Same - look closer
Analogues - look further apart

Definitely some overall ergonomic change.

Top Bottom