• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Controller - Dualshock 4 Unveilved

I don't think it is a screen.

Mark Cerny said that by reducing the number of analog buttons they were able to reduce the amount of data being transmitted and hence reduce controller latency (not that the DS3 had any issue with that)..... if they suddenly had to transmit data for a display wouldn't that be opposite to what they have been saying?

Sending an image to the screen won't hinder the packet size for the input going back.

Has there been something mentioned about the touchpad being able to display images??

Well... kind of.

cyC6kfL.gif

Uhyve

He does mention a "few tweaks" still being necessary...but I didn't read that to mean "hidden features". I thought they pretty much spelled out all the features of the controller.
A better link.

"I was just asking our PR team can we just let you touch this stuff. Our hardware guys don't want you to find out some detail that ..." he said, trailing off. "Some dirty secret?" we asked. "Of course," he responded with a smile.

Still probably not a touchscreen though.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I've seen that theory...and I think its pretty reasonable. But why have a hinge and not just a unobstructed screen? Purely as a surprise? Protection? Glare reduction? Interesting theory nonetheless.

It would protect the screen when not in use. But also it would be better to look 'through/passed' the controller when using the touchscreen than looking 'down' at the touchscreen. It would be just easier to see the information if it was vertical. It would also make it a lot easier to use for surfing the net or even playing Vita games on the PS4. You would be able to lay the controller flat on your lap instead of having to slightly reach over to touch it, which also makes it less likely for you to catch any of the other buttons.

IIRC, it's a vita style touchpad, not a screen. I'd think if it was a true screen, they woudl have mentioned that sometime in the last few times it was shown.

joeblow

Does the fact that the Witcher developer starts off by saying "if I'm not mistaken" regarding a display for the DS4's touch pad indicate that maybe this is just a rumor he's heard and not something he has seen first hand?

Sapiens

Wasn't it said that the controller had hidden features (which is why it wasn't available for the press to go hands-on), or am I imagining things?

You know that the "hidden" features will be mostly software/application specific.

Like, look at what you can do in games with this thing, kind of stuff.

Mik_Pad

Banned
You know that the "hidden" features will be mostly software/application specific.

Like, look at what you can do in games with this thing, kind of stuff.
See Uhyve post above, if it was software based why would they care if the press get hands on the hardware?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
See Uhyve post above, if it was software based why would they care if the press get hands on the hardware?

EXACTLY. There's definitely something we don't know. Of course it could also be something they haven't mentioned because they're not sure if it would be cost effective to keep in.

spwolf

why would they have screen there? So it is more expensive or what? You will be able to use Vita if you want real screen... doesnt make sense to make DS4 cost $80 itself.

Mik_Pad

Banned
why would they have screen there? So it is more expensive or what? You will be able to use Vita if you want real screen... doesnt make sense to make DS4 cost $80 itself.
Not everyone owns a Vita so if they want a feature to be system wide they have to integrate it to the controller.

On a different note I found this article about the origins of the Share button:
http://m.edge-online.com/news/ps4s-share-button-was-sony-santa-monicas-idea/
It's amazing how devs influenced the PS4.

stryke

I think some are suffering withdrawal from PS4 news. Seriously, if there was a screen, we would have seen it by now.

Mik_Pad

Banned
I think some are suffering withdrawal from PS4 news. Seriously, if there was a screen, we would have seen it by now.
This statement is better suited after E3, it's still early and they haven't revealed all the hardware so it is feasible and worth discussing.

Mik_Pad

Banned
What Yoshida says.

"small tweaks being done" doesn't sound like changing a touchpad for a touchscreen.
This a quote fron Uhyve previous post:
"I was just asking our PR team can we just let you touch this stuff. Our hardware guys don't want you to find out some detail that ..." he said, trailing off. "Some dirty secret?" we asked. "Of course," he responded with a smile.
They don't have to add what may be already there. Yes I agree it is a little bit crazy to think that they would reveal the controller an don't talk about a feature that substantial but it is possible.

Oppo

I don't know why a curve bit of plastic is considered a difficult detail to manufacture.

Anyways, a lo-res LED backlit sort of thing might be cool, maybe to some basic icons or something, but again I'd be really shocked if there is anything like a real screen in there. These scraps of evidence to the contrary are just that, scraps.

Plus wouldn't the inner screen also need to be touch? 2 touch sensors, one with screen and a "lid" without? Makes no sense.

This a quote fron Uhyve previous post:

They don't have to add what may be already there. Yes I agree it is a little bit crazy to think that they would reveal the controller an don't talk about a feature that substantial but it is possible.

There might be something else to the controller but I doubt it have anything to do with a touchscreen. Maybe there's something with the handles.

Mik_Pad

Banned
There might be something else to the controller but I doubt it have anything to do with a touchscreen. Maybe there's something with the handles.
I agree it may be something else but I'm intrigued in why did Sony bothered to keep it secret. Can't wait for E3.

Akira

Is it possible some games could come with custom plastic overlays to stick on the touchpad to create new buttons/touch areas? I could imagine that would be pretty sweet for RPGs.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
You wouldn't want a touch screen that small anyway. It would be like having a touchscreen on a 2005 flip cellphone.

Izick

I just want to get my hands on this controller. I love every single change they've made, and I just want to make sure they got the triggers right. Everything looks perfect, but I'm always going to be skeptical until I get my hands on it. November can't come soon enough!

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
The future is an occulous rift head mounted display using Sony made oled. Having a screen on the controller becomes useless.

One change I REALLY want is with the light glow. Why not have it extend around the perimeter of the touchpad? That way, it can serve as a better visual cue for things like health meter, visual indicator (grenade indicator flashes), etc.

As well, could the little pores in the touchpad be holes for light to shine through? That way, light can be used to divide the touchpad into its own little buttons! Developers could customize the light sources to manipulate into their own little inputs, dividing the touchpad into colour coded segments for touch-based buttons.

More generally, when playing in the dark, the controller would need to light up the touchpad, right? Unlike normal buttons, the touchpad requires more hand(finger?)-eye coordination. Playing in the dark and finding the touchpad becomes harder, unless the touchpad lights up, at least around the perimeter

The light source that stems from the back of the controller could probably shine through the touchpad. And on top of that, the controllers are already fitted with four lights, presumably more. It's the perfect substitute for half-assing a touchscreen/making the controller even pricier.

This could also be a good way to integrate some kind of keyboard onto the touchpad too. What do you guys think?

To me, the little pores on the controller seem to be perfect for light to shine through. What else could be under it lol. And why didn't they use the face button shapes for the pad found on the VITA? Why even have a texture at all, unless the holes act as some transparency for light?

Bah, just a guess

So no journos/media have had a chance yet to put their hands on this controller and comment a out how it feels? I'm dying to know how it feels in the hands.

RiverBed

Banned
no, but I'm convinced the reason it is rounded over the front of the controller is because that's a hinge and when you 'click' it it flips up

Sony said the touchpad is clickable. So, yes it clicks, and no it doesn't flip open.
Also, they said it's like the Vita's back touch. You got official high-res images of the controller. and some still think this will have a screen?

I am surprised no one seems to be talking about the mic or the move support?

- is having a mic worth the cost at all? How did it work out for/with the Wii?
- isn't that light adding to the camera and battery life? What does that mean for the Move wand? Won't that raise the price for the DS4? Only a fraction of PS3 games used motion and even a tinier fraction uses Move. So is th Move peripheral for PS4 only the camera (no wand)?
- is the different mini-USB in the back a new CE standard? If not, why change? PS3 uses a different mini-USB for all it's peripherals.

I hope someone eventually makes a comparison between DS4 and DS3 in terms of adjusted sensitivity, dead zone, rumble, etc.

Izick

Hey, did you all see this article already?

PS4 Daily said:
PlayStation 4 “Share button” idea came from Sony Santa Monica

Specifically, it was Sony Santa Monica creative director Nathan Gary who had the idea for a single button where players could share their gameplay, their status, screenshots, videos, and more.

According to an interview in the latest issue of Edge magazine, Yoshida said that after Sony decided on the PlayStation 4 internal hardware (the CPU, GPU, RAM etc.), it was time to brainstorm the rest of the console features. PlayStation 4 designers, including lead designer Mark Cerny, met with first party studios every month to discuss new features.

http://ps4daily.com/2013/04/playstation-4-share-button-idea/

I'm confused, is the touch screen an actual screen, like can it display an image? or is it just a touch pad?

A touch pad seems kind of worthless unless they are just going to have big QTE button prompts and you have to touch the screen to succeed.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It's a touchpad. Just a touchpad. Not a screen. It's clickable.

So it can be used as a button and/or as an input for cursor control and/or as input with touchpad gestures. Simples.

Tripolygon

Banned

came from here

http://www.edge-online.com/news/ps4s-share-button-was-sony-santa-monicas-idea/

DualShock 4’s Share button was pitched to SCE bosses by Sony Santa Monica creative director Nathan Gary, Shuhei Yoshida has revealed.

“I think it was [creative director] Nathan Gary in Santa Monica studios who suggested it: how about adding a dedicated button on the controller so that everybody can just press that button to share? He was helping out the external development, heavily involved in helping the development of Journey and Unfinished Swan at Santa Monica Studios.”

“So Nathan put together a Powerpoint and pitched in this Share button idea,” Yoshida added. “And we all went, that’s a brilliant idea! So it was a pretty quick decision after he suggested it and I’m sure he’s pretty proud of his contribution. That was after many months of discussion of how people should be using the PS4 system and sharing was one of the central experiences we wanted to include in the system’s development.”

In the May Edge Mag issue, they explain that its also about the One Sony mantra Kazuo Hirai set as a goal for Sony, that each division share their ideas with other parts of Sony or something to that effect.

It's a touchpad. Just a touchpad. Not a screen. It's clickable.

So it can be used as a button and/or as an input for cursor control and/or as input with touchpad gestures. Simples.

I hope we get a game where you have to wipe from side to side on the pad in order to get blood/sweat/tears out of your eyes.

RiverBed

Banned
I hope we get a game where you have to wipe from side to side on the pad in order to get blood/sweat/tears out of your eyes.

Better yet, someone else's eyes.
I want to see it used for user-created content. It supposed to be accurate enough. I liked how you dust off stuff you find in the Vita Uncharted.

Hopefully, the new DS4 features will get enough use to warrant their inclusion. How much/well is the Vita's touch pad being used?

A game where you play parts of a car!

One person acts as the windshield wipers
The other simulates the wheel
The other acts as the pit stop crew

Come on Sony, release a Sackboy Party with these silly shenanigans!

Better yet, someone else's eyes.
I want to see it used for user-created content. It supposed to be accurate enough. I liked how you dust off stuff you find in the Vita Uncharted.

Hopefully, the new DS4 features will get enough use to warrant their inclusion. How much/well is the Vita's touch pad being used?
That's not really a fair question. The fact that the touch pad is on the front of the controller versus the back like on Vita makes a huge difference. It'd be better to compare the PS4 touch pad to the touch screen of the vita. I know it's not the same but it's more comparable simply because of the location. The touch screen gets used quite a bit on vita.

I wonder if this pad will be able to display simple images or pixels? I really hope it can as it would make typing on that pad so much easier if letters were to be displayed.

Izick

I really do respect Sony for going to their 1st party devs for feedback. I guess it's also a great bonus that they have such a eclectic group of them, so certain devs could focus on things that affect their genre of choice more. I like extreme fine tuning!

Top Bottom