• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 does movie level cgi visuals. eyeball gif fiesta.

ironcreed

Banned
How is this for a difference?

20.jpg

killzone3_63viexn.jpg

KZ4_Rubble.jpg

How is this for a difference?

[]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/nchoudhury/Uncharted%202%20direct/20.jpg[/IMG]

[]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/nchoudhury/Killzone%203%20Direct%20captures/killzone3_63viexn.jpg[/IMG]

[]http://s13.postimage.org/3xhuw5s93/KZ4_Rubble.jpg[/IMG]

The detail in the debris is pretty insane.

texture mapped rubble vs what is probably procedural geometry.

just amazing.

and I don't remember UC2 looking that jagged but the AA+DOF in the KZ shot is also nice.

Yeah Killzone looks incredible, I just hope they get rid of that black and white effect when shot. It sucks away all the colour, and makes the image dull.

Watch dogs really doesn't belong in there.
It's a cross gen title and while it looks good it clearly shows that it's made for ps3 as well.

The geometry in killzone is MIND BLOWING, watch dogs looks like a spruced up pc port of a ps3 game (because that is what it is)
The draw distance is also awful in watchdogs, everything hidden behind that typical depth of field shroud, the current gen version of psx fog.

I've been longing for a meaningful increase in geometry detail for so long. (not just tesselation crap on walls and stairs in boxy buildings)

neonille

It's already been confirmed that everything we saw yesterday was realtime. There was no CG, which my mind has a tough time comprehending, because I was certainly telling myself it was CG as I was watching a lot of it.

No it was not, if you watch the after-show on Gametrailers, the developer from watch dogs says that the footage was from PC....so don't shit your pants yet

Blinck

So basically the biggest thing to take away is that pre-rendered cg scenes will become obsolete in next gen?

Videogames will never have CG level graphics. Never.

You need a freakin render farm to render just a few seconds of any CG movie you see, there won't be a console/PC capable of doing it real time in a bazillion years.

Raven77

1. It CLEARLY looks next gen. If you don't believe so, well you're allowed to believe that the moon is made of cheese, doesn't mean you're right.

2. FOR THE THIRTIETH TIME TODAY:

The DEEP DOWN demo was done, in game, real time, using Capcom's new Panta Rhei development engine. IT WAS NOT A CG MOVIE...

The DEEP DOWN demo was done, in game, real time, using Capcom's new Panta Rhei development engine. IT WAS NOT A CG MOVIE...

Where was this said (original official source, not he said she said) that it was real time (not just in engine! , real time)

I'd love for it to be true that fire looked incredible but I'm skeptical it looks too good for even a tech demo.

Remember the early PS3 "tech demos" that were bullshotted to hell and back?

My advice is to keep a record of all of these images/gifs now and we'll see if everything pans out in the end. I won't cry whether they are real or not, just a reminder that developers have ways of making their previews look better than the final product...

NBtoaster

Where was this said (original official source, not he said she said) that it was real time (not just in engine! , real time)

I'd love for it to be true that fire looked incredible but I'm skeptical it looks too good for even a tech demo.

It has flaws in rendering that you don't get in CG. The bloom and depth of field bleed and shimmer a lot.

You need a freakin render farm to render just a few seconds of any CG movie you see, there won't be a console/PC capable of doing it real time in a bazillion years.
They will be 'near enough' within the next 10 years. How many years exactly depends entirely on the viewer's eye for detail, or knowledge about rendering. Some people will not be able to notice the difference already, more knowledgeable types will take a few more years to be fooled. Those who know what to look for might only be fooled occasionally, but it will happen.

oh god, people really think this is realtime just because there is a fake hud?

how delusional.

No, it's real time because of the obvious video rendering artifacts - aliasing, shadow stepping, depth of field clipping, to name a few.

So you get one thread people saying that the leap isnt big enough and another thread people saying the demos didnt look real time.

Neogaf

It's either too good or not good enough.

All we need is confirmation, Capcom.

Raven77

Even if not real time, it was definitely In Engine.

Remember, when the PS3 was revealed a somewhat similar in engine demo was done with Unreal Engine 3, and look how much better UE3 games looked after a few years.

Meaning, if the same trend occurs here, games in 2-3+ years will look even better than the Deep Down in engine demo.

stufte

We've already surpassed CGI from the mid 90's. There is no reason to think that we wouldn't be able to keep doing that.

For reference: look at Jurassic Park. Or the intro to "Amazing Stories". Etc, etc. Those were done on render farms and took HOURS to render 1 frame. Now games can easily replicate that CGI in real-time.

Or hell, ANY pre-rendered CGI cut scene from any ps1 (and some ps2) games. The pre-rendered backgrounds in FFIV could easily be done in real-time these days.

We're also getting close to matching the CG from the Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within flick.

Piggus

Real time just means it was rendered... In real time. You're thinking of "in-game" which it was not. The main thing though is it wasn't CG which is important and very exciting.

That doesn't mean something like that isn't possible during actual gameplay. We probably won't see it at launch but once devs get to grips with the hardware it should be easily possible.

A.R.K

Thank you Sony!!! I admire their dedication to gamers and providing with the best tech for the money in a box

ibvZ53RXBDlNFL.gif

this is garbage to me. Fuck developers who put graphics over gameplay, you can't even see the enemies. fuck the people who like this type of crap, this is why gaming is in a massive decline.

Luthos

If Sucker Punch is being truthful saying their trailer was in-engine, then their trailer might be the most impressive of them all.

That was the one trailer I saw and just automatically assumed it was pre-rendered.

Remember the early PS3 "tech demos" that were bullshotted to hell and back?

My advice is to keep a record of all of these images/gifs now and we'll see if everything pans out in the end. I won't cry whether they are real or not, just a reminder that developers have ways of making their previews look better than the final product...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the trailer demo was played at a much higher resolution. It's pretty much standard practices these days.

There are a bunch of direct feed shots on playstation blog at very high resolution 4k+ and Killzone: Shadowfall is supposed to run at 1080p.

Blinck

We've already surpassed CGI from the mid 90's. There is no reason to think that we wouldn't be able to keep doing that.

For reference: look at Jurassic Park. Or the intro to "Amazing Stories". Etc, etc. Those were done on render farms and took HOURS to render 1 frame. Now games can easily replicate that CGI in real-time.

Or hell, ANY pre-rendered CGI cut scene from any ps1 (and some ps2) games. The pre-rendered backgrounds in FFIV could easily be done in real-time these days.

We're also getting close to matching the CG from the Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within flick.

I see what you are saying, but I wasn't talking about CG from that many years ago. CG had a huge jump in those years because technology advanced at light speed at that time, specially when it came to 3D rendering. While it continues to evolve, the curve is not as steep.
For example, look at a cinematic from Final Fantasy 7, and then look at a cinematic from Final Fantay X. While you will cringe at the FF7 ( 1997 ) one, you are still able to watch and appreciate any cutscene from final fantaxy X (2001) even after 12 years.
This is why it's not fair to compare PS4 graphics to such old CG.

Take a look at the latest Blur cinematic for Elder Scrolls Online. It's absolutely freaking incredible, you could show me some of the shots and say it's real and I would believe you, and I have a keen eye for these things since it's within my area of work.

I truly believe that none of us will live to see a game in real time with such detail, but I would love to be wrong :)

?oe?oe

Damn, Sony fans can't handle any kind of criticism, valid or not, lol.

Ahhh console warriors. We haven't even seen Microsoft's effort yet. Fun viewing times ahead.

nib95

Banned
ibvZ53RXBDlNFL.gif

this is garbage to me. Fuck developers who put graphics over gameplay, you can't even see the enemies. fuck the people who like this type of crap, this is why gaming is in a massive decline.

It's violent carnage and war. It's likely because of people like you that the Killzone franchise keeps getting watered down. Too much bloody hand holding required in gaming these days. Eurgh...

stufte

I see what you are saying, but I wasn't talking about CG from that many years ago. CG had a huge jump some years ago because technology advanced at light speed at that time, specially when it came to 3D rendering. While it continues to evolve, the curve is not as steep.
For example, look at a cinematic from Final Fantasy 7, and then look at a cinematic from Final Fantay X. While you will cringe at the FF7 ( 1997 ) one, you are still able to watch and appereciate any cutscene from final fantaxy X (2001) even after 12 years.
This is why it's not fair to compare PS4 graphics to such old CG.

Take a look at the latest Blur cinematic for Elder Scrolls Online. It's absolutely freaking incredible, you could show me some of the shots and say it's real and I would believe you, and I have a keen eye for these things since it's within my area of work.

I truly believe that none of us will live to see a game in real time with such detail, but I would love to be wrong :)

True that things have slowed down, but it'd be foolish to say that it'd *never* happen. I'd give it 15yrs TOPS till we are playing games with Blur levels of CG. But I'm sure by that time, people will be arguing on NeoULTRAGAF.com about how games will never look like the new Avatar 5 film. ;)

Raist

Banned
It's quite amazing how there's two groups of people "denying" the whole thing.

On one side "Well that's not much of an improvement over next gen"
On the other side "Clearly CGI guys, calm down"

wtf is going on.

Blinck

True that things have slowed down, but it'd be foolish to say that it'd *never* happen. I'd give it 15yrs TOPS till we are playing games with Blur levels of CG. But I'm sure by that time, people will be arguing on NeoULTRAGAF.com about how games will never look like the new Avatar 5 film. ;)

Yes, I'm exaggerating when I say it's never going to happen, but I really think it won't be 15 years from now, at least at the speed technology has been developing in the last years.
But hey, once again, I really hope you are right!

ibvZ53RXBDlNFL.gif

I think it looks great (before everything went grey and orange as per).

However you're right about the gameplay. It looked quite unexciting.

ibvZ53RXBDlNFL.gif

I'm with you, but it's more down to developers using the color palette and enemy colors. I hate this in Call of Duty or other modern military shooters where you can't tell apart the enemies from your allies because everyone's wearing brown/grey. Clearly, they're going for a more colorful look this time than previous games' post-processing to hell approach, so don't know why they're not making the enemies stand out against the palette.

Darryl

Banned
Damn, Sony fans can't handle any kind of criticism, valid or not, lol.

Ahhh console warriors. We haven't even seen Microsoft's effort yet. Fun viewing times ahead.

it's crazy how much the GAF atmosphere changes when stuff like this occurs. i'm afraid to discuss anything with anyone right now

BadAss2961

I'm with you, but it's more down to developers using the color palette and enemy colors. I hate this in Call of Duty or other modern military shooters where you can't tell apart the enemies from your allies because everyone's wearing brown/grey. Clearly, they're going for a more colorful look this time than previous games' post-processing to hell approach, so don't know why they're not making the enemies stand out against the palette.
I've never had this problem with Killzone. Allies are usually facing one way, enemies the opposite. The Helghast also have bright glowing red eyes.

Top Bottom