• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

LawfulEnder

Neo Member
Mine was working all last night/today.

Running 1.50, not using the boxed HDMI Cable, everything seemed good, but I just brought it out of standby mode and wasn't getting sound. Turned it off and on again to try to fix it and now I don't get video either.

EDIT: I tried booting in Safe Mode and telling the console to Restart (Option 1) - it's now up and running with audio working - worth a shot for anyone who has a similar problem.

After damn near 2 hours of waiting...They finally connected me to support and I'll get my Box within 3-5 business days...*Sigh* I'm so fucking disappointed.

ckeur

Already got mine boxed up so unless something comes up by tomorrow it's going back but I'll share my info for science.

What firmware? Whatever it ships with I didn't download anything.

Purchased from where? Amazon

What is your A/V set up like? Tried on two Sharp TVs both 720p. Tried on a small 1080p Samsung as well but none worked. Also tried a HDMI switcher out of desperation but nope. Just the black screen on everything.

What resolution do you want to output in? Tried 720 and 1080p TVs.

Were you able to get any video signal or none at all? Nothing right out of the box. Never had a video signal.

Can you hear audio? No audio.

Also my color bar was always blue. Never got any other color out of it. It would fade in and out blue.

Are you returning to Amazon, or having Sony fix/replace it?

Smidget

Boxing my back up for a return to Amazon. Got a bundled unit from Costco:

What firmware? Not sure, never got to see it.

Purchased from where? Amazon.com

What is your A/V set up like? Tried on 3 setups: 1) Onkyo receiver with 1080p Epson projector hooked up, 2) 46" LED Dynex(?) 1080p TV into multiple HDMI inputs, 3) 60" Vizio into multiple HDMI inputs; Note: Used 3 total HDMI cables; Same cables work fine on other devices even after use. Everything fit in snugly and not the Kotaku type issue it seems.

What resolution do you want to output in? Only tried 1080p TVs.

Were you able to get any video signal or none at all? Nothing right out of the box. Never had a video signal.

Can you hear audio? No audio.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Are you returning to Amazon, or having Sony fix/replace it?

Amazon. Seems like the fastest option. Although I do have to worry about finding another console but at this point I might just wait until next year.

Reposting from PS4 launch thread. I thought this would be relevant in solving HDMI-related issues. Thanks to Venturer

How deep is that metal bump in the HDMI port? Mine looks like that, but it's waaay back, looks like it may even be flush with the back (meaning, deep). Wondering if I should mess with it or not.

Reposting from PS4 launch thread. I thought this would be relevant in solving HDMI-related issues. Thanks to Venturer

This photo needs scrubbed from the internet. Somebody here made it from two different peoples posts. It is 100% wrong. Every single PS4 unit has that piece of metal on the bottom. Look at the plastic around it, it is clearly cut for it be there. The piece of metal is flush against the back, it is in no way impeding the HDMI. You can't see it in the top picture because of the angle.

AFAIK Kotaku are the only ones to have this supposed pin/metal problem. Even then, they didn't see it, they were told that was the problem by Sony.

What does your color bar do? Just glow blue? Does it shut itself off?

Pulsating blue light. Does not turn itself off. If I hold the button to put it into safe mode, it does just turn off instead, though.

After damn near 2 hours of waiting...They finally connected me to support and I'll get my Box within 3-5 business days...*Sigh* I'm so fucking disappointed.

Maybe I'm too pampered by Dell and Amazon. But, yeah, this whole waiting normal shipping times to receive the box so I can ship it back to them in normal shipping time so they can fix it for however long and then ship it back to me in normal shipping times all equals out to a load of bullshit.

Mifune

Mehmber
Kvik I don't think that info is accurate. People have had HDMI ports that looked like the one in the "bad" pic and their PS4 worked fine.

Maybe I'm too pampered by Dell and Amazon. But, yeah, this whole waiting normal shipping times to receive the box so I can ship it back to them in normal shipping time so they can fix it for however long and then ship it back to me in normal shipping times all equals out to a load of bullshit.

Which is exactly why you should just return the unit to Amazon or wherever you bought it and get a refund. Amazon, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc. will get more in.

Seems to be amazon related... At least, from what we have now.

We know that is not the case.

Which is exactly why you should just return the unit to Amazon or wherever you bought it and get a refund. Amazon, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc. will get more in.

I know. I'm torn on it. I feel like I'm gambling then, hoping to find one. And then I'd have to put in the effort to go hunting for one, which is what I preordered from Amazon to avoid.

ckeur

I know. I'm torn on it. I feel like I'm gambling then, hoping to find one. And then I'd have to put in the effort to go hunting for one, which is what I preordered from Amazon to avoid.

I'm in the same boat. I'm more frustrated by the fact that I have to now put effort in rather than because I can't play at the moment. I'm guessing all stores are sold out right now.

RMI

Banned
Yeah I bet fucking Sony sent them a bunch of defective units just to meet demand. *Sigh* I'm letting this anger get to my head..

this seems very unlikely.

Something could have just gone awry with the shipment if these issues are indeed specific to amazon units. I'm imagining a nightmare scenario where amazon and sony break up not unlike what happened with Nintendo a few years back. Probably won't happen though.

To the people who got in contact with Sony for them to send your coffin..How long did the e-mail take to get to you confirming everything? I sure hope that lady got my e-mail right because she sounded like she was tired of taking calls about this. She automatically knew what I was calling about.

Hardware related - the disk feeder sounds AWFUL when I put in/take out a disk.
Anyone else hear this? Not a huge deal, but it's distracting from the overall perfection of this work of art console.
Hopefully it'll either sort itself out, or there'll be a YouTube video showing how to fix this at some point.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Hardware related - the disk feeder sound AWFUL when I put in/take out a disk.
Anyone else hear this? Not a huge deal, but it's distracting from the overall perfection of this work of art console.
Hopefully it'll either sort itself out, or there'll be a YouTube video showing how to fix this at some point.

I don't know if I would say it sounds awful, but it sounds very "heavy." I don't think it is an issue.

You have zero idea how long it will take to get it back from Sony. You have zero idea if the replacement you get will be a new console or a refurbished console. It's your $400, but I wouldn't pay $400 for a refurbished console.

I sure hope that lady got my e-mail right because she sounded like she was tired of taking calls about this. She automatically knew what I was calling about.

Feel bad for all the CSR's out there right now. It is going to be a fun couple of weeks for them.

Is there any permanent solution to people who are having audio troubles at random points using optical output and dolby/dts?

All I know is right now I just flip between linear and digital settings to fix it.

DryvBy

Can it also be sound issues? My sounds are very "faint" right now in NBA. Like all the sounds sound like they're coming from my SUB as a center speaker.

Can it also be sound issues? My sounds are very "faint" right now in NBA. Like all the sounds sound like they're coming from my SUB as a center speaker.

Do you use optical audio? I think there's some kind of software issue with it since it can be fixed by switching settings around. Might need a firmware update.

I almost made a new thread about this but,
Damn I just checked amazon (all OOS by the way) and it looks like a lot of people got consoles that were DOA/bricked. Man, I can't imagine how shitty that must feel. I mean, I'm kinda annoyed about not getting a PS4 at all but to be expecting your PS4 and then you realize its broken just plain sucks.

So are we banking on this being a Sony issue or something Amazon did to damage the consoles?

inner-G

Banned
Damn I just checked amazon (all OOS by the way) and it looks like a lot of people got consoles that were DOA/bricked. Man, I can't imagine how shitty that must feel. I mean, I'm kinda annoyed about not getting a PS4 at all but to be expecting your PS4 and then you realize its broken just plain sucks.

So are we banking on this being a Sony issue or something Amazon did to damage the consoles?
Mine wasn't from Amazon and the box was pristine, so I don't think it was damaged.

Duxxy3

Has anyone had an issue with the touchpad not working? My pre-launch dualshock 4 doesn't have a working touchpad, the launch dualshock 4 works fine.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Does it sound like this? Mine is loud & "scratchy".
This is mine: http://youtu.be/9tlHzTPksMI

omg no. wtf is wrong with yours jesus it sounds like it is eating the disk

Not banking on anything :) Just collecting data. Amazon is not the only retailer to have had issues but so far it looks like the majority of HDMI/video issues are Amazon boxes.

My PlayStation App says that no PS4 is found. Not sure what is wrong. My Vita will not connect for second screen stuff either.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Reposting:

They are aware of a hardware issue. If you can't get the PS4 to boot into safe mode (hold down power for 10 sec and wait till you get the double beeps), it's not your HDMI port. it's an internal issue and they request you send it back to them to be fixed.

If your console light turns white (and don't stay at pulsating blue), it can be that HDMI cable or connection issue. Fix with a pin.

If it stays blue and pulsates, try safe mode. From here they can help you troubleshoot if you wanted to call in. If it wont boot to safe mode, gotta send it in.

pulsating blue light of death = pblood is all gross

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Does it sound like this? Mine is loud & "scratchy".
This is mine: http://youtu.be/9tlHzTPksMI

THE CONSOLE HAS FINALLY DECIDED TO EAT MY GAMES!!!!!
89c8189a-3182-4b8f-8420-0b2e6a9d9561dr%20weird.jpg

IT HUNGERS..... FOR MORE!

Top Bottom