• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

~~Hasan~~

man lol. this thread is desperate. does anyone have a working ps4 ffs ?

someone make a thread about this. this is getting sad for crying out loud

Edit: I was suggesting if someone should make a thread about who has a working PS4. not a defective units "since this is it already". sorry for the confusion ^_^

Mononoke

Banned

Plenty of people have working PS4's. I got mine at 8am this morning, and have been playing non stop until now.

Mashing

So, my system didn't show any video initially and I had to hold the power button for 7 seconds. Powered it back on and video was restored. Ran through the initial setup and then it just beeped 3 times and shutoff. I immediately overreacted and threw my system through a window (j/k).... came to post about it on GAF.

Amazon unit
No idea what firmware as it is not staying online long enough for me to see
And no idea what resolution.

inner-G

Banned
So, my system didn't show any video initially and I had to hold the power button for 7 seconds. Powered it back on and video was restored. Ran through the initial setup and then it just beeped 3 times and shutoff. I immediately overreacted and threw my system through a window (j/k).... came to post about it on GAF.

Amazon unit
That's kind of like what mine did.

Can you hear a fan running in it? Did the light turn red when it shut off??

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
so basically there's an epidemic of 400 dollar bricks?

People with working PS4s don't post, people with faulty PS4s post. That's an inherent selection bias. The general situation seems to be pretty normal.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

Amazon unit
What color is the light? Pulsing blue?

RaikuHebi

Banned
I'm getting Deja Vu here.

Does it sound like this? Mine is loud & "scratchy".
This is mine: http://youtu.be/9tlHzTPksMI
Something is definitely wrong there. Any other unusual noises when the disc is in? Or is it just when putting one in and ejecting?

Im using HDMI to DVI and it doesn't let me choose resolution. ONLY 480p. WTF!
This sounds more like a problem with adaptor compatibility.

VinZuku

HDMIINPUTPS4_zps5509e70c.jpg

I'm almost at the end of my rope here. Not quite, but almost. I've literally been trying all day to get my PS4 to do something, ANYTHING, and it just won't. When I try to turn it on all I get is the flashing blue light and a black screen. Here's the HDMI output on the back of the PS4. Can anyone who's more knowledgeable about this stuff tell me if there's anything suspect about the way it looks? The HDMI does feel "loose" when I plug it in.

Mashing

No, now that you mention it I don't hear a fan. The HDD appears to be spinning (I can hear the heads moving). No red light. Flash blue and powers off after about 15 seconds.

Tried booting into safe mode. No go. Just shuts off after blue led pulsates for about 15 seconds.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I'm almost at the end of my rope here. Not quite, but almost. I've literally been trying all day to get my PS4 to do something, ANYTHING, and it just won't. When I try to turn it on all I get is the flashing blue light and a black screen. Here's the HDMI input on the back of the PS4. Can anyone who's more knowledgeable about this stuff tell me if there's anything suspect about the way it looks? The HDMI does feel "loose" when I plug it in.
I think it's those pieces of metal that are raised.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
People with working PS4s don't post, people with faulty PS4s post. That's an inherent selection bias. The general situation seems to be pretty normal.

ding ding ding!

From my recollection in the original pre-order thread disproportionate number of people pre-ordered from Amazon as well, which is what I think is leading people to believe Amazon has a cache of broken units.

People with faulty machines are posting here. Everyone else who has a working one is playing there system. Mine works fine thankfully. Just look at the my ps3 died thread. Doesn't mean everyone is having problems. Though I do feel bad for those guys that are.
Edit: beaten lol

I'm almost at the end of my rope here. Not quite, but almost. I've literally been trying all day to get my PS4 to do something, ANYTHING, and it just won't. When I try to turn it on all I get is the flashing blue light and a black screen. Here's the HDMI output on the back of the PS4. Can anyone who's more knowledgeable about this stuff tell me if there's anything suspect about the way it looks? The HDMI does feel "loose" when I plug it in.

Try starting it in safe mode (hold power button on until you hear the second beep, then let go). If it turns off, you're fucked. If it actually boots into safe mode, well you accomplished something. Odds are it will just turn off instead of going into safe mode.

Either return it, or call up Sony and get in the fucked line of waiting for shipments and repairs to come and go.

EDIT: As for your picture, is that a piece of metal sticking up on your right or just an odd angle? That piece in the middle that you are going to have someone tell you is bad, is perfectly fine. But, I don't know what's going on on the right.

Ugh no. Nothing sounds like this.

Kinda sounds like a mix between a fax machine and a paper shredder. I would have been horrified to insert/eject a game after hearing that noise. Wonder if that .4% was just for that one issue or for all possible issues with manufacturing.

My condolences to anyone who has to go through this. I couldn't imagine the frustration that people feel when they just want to relax and enjoy their launch. I'll leave it at that as anything else I saw can't really help the situation.

LiK

People with faulty machines are posting here. Everyone else who has a working one is playing there system. Mine works fine thankfully. Just look at the my ps3 died thread. Doesn't mean everyone is having problems. Though I do feel bad for those guys that are.
Edit: beaten lol

where did you get yours?

Jburton

Banned
I wonder what's in store for us UK and Euro folk in two weeks?

Hopefully a different batch.

I have been looking forward to this since February but I am starting to feel really anxious about this.

I refuse to buy an Xbox One on principal, inferior hardware for more money so either a PS4 at launch or I wait.

Vestal

Gold Member

that's a bent bottom metal piece alright probably not allowing the hdmi cable all the way in.

Elchele

I wonder if units will start to fail after a few days/weeks of use like the Xbox 360 :/

Some people ps4 stopped working after a few hours of use, so I think it could be possible, right?

Bro there's nothing you can do. Ours shipped with fucked HDMI ports.

____

Can't fucking believe this.

Just got home, cranked it up with the optimistic "cant happen to mine!" attitude, and sure enough, my fucking system won't turn on.

Talk about a buzzkill.

Hate to sound like a douche but mine works perfectly so far (knock on wood). I've only been playing for about 30 mins now. I guess my question is should I even try connecting to PSN or should I just stick to single player until shit gets fixed?

inner-G

Banned
Hate to sound like a douche but mine works perfectly so far (knock on wood). I've only been playing for about 30 mins now. I guess my question is should I even try connecting to PSN or should I just stick to single player until shit gets fixed?
I think if it works and plays games, you're golden as far as we know.

LiK

Can't fucking believe this.

Just got home, cranked it up with the optimistic "cant happen to mine!" attitude, and sure enough, my fucking system won't turn on.

Talk about a buzzkill.

wow, your GAF handle is awesome.

VinZuku

Try starting it in safe mode (hold power button on until you hear the second beep, then let go). If it turns off, you're fucked. If it actually boots into safe mode, well you accomplished something. Odds are it will just turn off instead of going into safe mode.

Either return it, or call up Sony and get in the fucked line of waiting for shipments and repairs to come and go.

EDIT: As for your picture, is that a piece of metal sticking up on your right or just an odd angle? That piece in the middle that you are going to have someone tell you is bad, is perfectly fine. But, I don't know what's going on on the right.

Trying to boot it into safe mode was one of the last things I tried and still got nothing. The piece of metal on the right might just be the culprit, I don't know. It is a piece of metal that's kinda just sitting there. To think that's all that's keeping me from enjoying my PS4 is very...frustrating.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Amazon unit. Blue light issue. HDMI cable works fine when plugging into other devices. This sucks like hell.

I also received my busted one from Amazon, just for the record.

last time I do the 'honorable' thing and BUY my console. ugh.

Top Bottom