• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

Yaari

So my PS4 has a loose screw, and it is not in the HDD area. I can't access it. I am personally not too bothered with it, but obviously it is not positive. I'm not sure what to do now. I really want to keep the PS4 but it would not be entirely impossible for me to regret doing something like that.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Not if your in Europe. We got screwed.

Wow - I was about to post that you should have, but I'm in NA. I'd be on the phone with Sony for sure on that, that's lame.

Just looked at the UK link for the stand/clip. Is that price right??? :O How much is the camera without it???

Goddamit...

Thanks for the replies guys

Wow - I was about to post that you should have, but I'm in NA. I'd be on the phone with Sony for sure on that, that's lame.

Just looked at the UK link for the stand/clip. Is that price right??? :O How much is the camera without it???

It is ridiculous. The camera itself still costs £50.

Btw I'm guessing no one else got a ps plus trial either? Cos I didn't... Feeling a bit disappointed in SCEE right now as you Americans got a 30 day free trail. How long is Resogun still in the ps plus free games?

Hey guys, I currently have my PS4 hooked into a 2010 Sharp Aquos, and it works fine, but theres a 2013 Sony Bravia showing up tomorrow. If it's worked fine so far so far on the old TV, I shouldnt have anything to worry about with the new one, right?

jmro

I logged in today and two of my downloaded games (Assassin's Creed 4 and Resogun) were gone from my system. I am redownloading now... but I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this.

According to google it has happened randomly to a few other people

Bishop89

is tv compatibility still a problem to people?
Im going to go today to get a samsung/sony tv and dont want to find out the ps4 wont work on it (when i do get it)

Just an update on my situation. Finally got through to Sony and they say they're going to be sending me a replacement unit on Tuesday. Not too bad, I can deal with that.

OmahaG8

I have a 30 day trial from USA that the first person who pms me is welcome too. I'm not home right now but I'll update ASAP. (Just saw some people with sad faces here)

Got my PS4 back from Sony. Looks like its working so far. Will run it through the ringer.

Really disappointed that Sony didn't send me an extra controller or goodies in the PS4 box. Seems like a waste to send me the huge PS4 box when they only added back the PS4. Might as well have sent it back in the coffin. Oh well, thats what I get for not going with Amazon for the replacement. Maybe I'm being selfish/greedy but I would like something for waiting for more than 1 week.

Ok so today i put my ps4 on standby mode and when i woke it up it was INSTANT. Before when it was on standby mode it would take like 20 seconds to wake up. Anyone else notice this or was this normal.

sangreal

Ok so today i put my ps4 on standby mode and when i woke it up it was INSTANT. Before when it was on standby mode it would take like 20 seconds to wake up. Anyone else notice this or was this normal.

I think it's pretty much instant if it's already awake doing something in the background like downloading an update

ElRenoRaven

Well. As most know I hadn't had that great of luck. 2 bricks so far. So while it's been slow as hell I finally got my 3rd PS4. This time directly from Sony instead of Amazon.

It arrived in a retail box but it had nothing but the console in it. Needless to say this one is an actual functioning PS4. So while I'm not happy at the time Sony took or the fact my 1st two were bricks. I at least finally have a functioning one.

lifa-cobex

So Iv been having problems yesterday with the system powering off randomly.
I was advised to change HDMI cables and that worked for last-night and most of today.

However it started doing it again. I swapped cables again, trying to push the pin in the HDMI port etc.
Non seemed to work.
However an update 1.51 became available in Europe (think today) and that has seemed to solve it, fingers crossed.

I cant get my head around some of the problems.
Is it hardware or software?
I really cant be sure as my PS4 worked for about 24 hours after changing the HDMI cable.

Inoticed the PS4 won't displayin 1080p though a HDMI splitter (ps3 and WiiU do). Anyone else have this problem?
Perfect 1080p through the receiver or straight in to the tv.

I got my PS4 last Friday, it is running fairly smoothly with no major faults. However as I booted Black flag the first time I noticed some flickering/pixel shimmering in the background and in heavily forrested areas, especially while moving.

Once I noticed the flickering, I noticed it in Fifa 14 too. I then turned up my tv sharpness in an effort to remove the flickering. However turning up the sharpness made the flicker much worse and vise versa.

My sound also started to studder, however that changed as I chose DTS instead if DT in the audio output settings.

I am still baffled by the flickering in my games and I have arranged getting a new PS4 in December with the Sony store I got it from. They did ask me to try a new HDMI cable so I'm gonna give that a shot tomorrow, but i fear it is GPU related.

Im from Scandinavia and the PS4 was manufactured in China.

So my ps4 is doing this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCNhlWOI05A, mostly in NBA2K14 but also while installing the other games, namely nfs and bf4. It's frustrating the hell out of me because I love 5.1 sound and the only way to fix it is to switch to lpcm which my receiver doesn't decode as 5.1. It sounds like an audio buffer filling up and cutting out honestly, I think all ps4's do this over optical.

Yopis

So my ps4 is doing this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCNhlWOI05A, mostly in NBA2K14 but also while installing the other games, namely nfs and bf4. It's frustrating the hell out of me because I love 5.1 sound and the only way to fix it is to switch to lpcm which my receiver doesn't decode as 5.1. It sounds like an audio buffer filling up and cutting out honestly, I think all ps4's do this over optical.

Have same issue only with Nba 2k. After issue starts with Nba 2k then the problem will happen with other games also. Playing other games and not playing Nba2k the problem never happens. Chalked that issue up to Nba 2k needing patch. Crazy more has not been said about this.

I'm gonna assume I'm not the only one who's had choppy audio after playing a game (Battlefield 4 in my case) where it sounds all jumpy?

Had to restart the PS4 to make it stop.

Really hate spotting things like this, makes me worry about it.

I've also had weird white chequered squares when choosing a spawn point on Battlefield 4 but only on Flood Zone, never any other map.

And in Need for Speed I've seen the odd pink flicker in the distance where it looks like a texture hasnt loaded in on the mountains.

Are these things I should be panicking about in my OCD state?

Aside from those minor quibbles, It's worked perfectly, no other problems.

I'd like to put them down to:

Launch Game (Need for Speed)
Lol problems (Battlefield 4)
Choppy Sound (OS Stability will improve)

Schrade

Inoticed the PS4 won't displayin 1080p though a HDMI splitter (ps3 and WiiU do). Anyone else have this problem?

What are you splitting to?

I have this problem as well but I think it's because the splitter/PS4 are seeing my Capture Card (AverMedia AverTV HD) which only supports 1080i at max. If the PS4 scans that when booting up then it greys out 1080p.

I think I got around it once when I was trying to see why it was in 1080i by unplugging the HDMI from my splitter to my capture card, powering off the PS4 and then taking the Auto HDMI detection off and putting it on 1080p. I might have had to boot into Safe Mode to reset the display... I don't remember.

i think mine outputs to 1080p with an HDMI splitter. i have to double check when i get home. i had to run pc/wiiu/ps3 through an HDMI Switcher then through an HDMI splitter to TV and then through avermedia LGP lol.

Have same issue only with Nba 2k. After issue starts with Nba 2k then the problem will happen with other games also. Playing other games and not playing Nba2k the problem never happens. Chalked that issue up to Nba 2k needing patch. Crazy more has not been said about this.

No doubt, I chalk it up to a lot of people using receivers that get 5.1 over HDMI, and a lot of people just keeping it set to stereo. It only happens over optical with 5.1 selected. Nba 2K14 is the worst by far, it takes 2 minutes of playing a quick game to get it to happen.

Hilti92

GAF, my PS4 froze while trying to change my internet settings on the console. It is the 2nd time this has happened at the exact same point in the menus causing me to have to pull out the power cord.. Anyone else have this issue?

No doubt, I chalk it up to a lot of people using receivers that get 5.1 over HDMI, and a lot of people just keeping it set to stereo. It only happens over optical with 5.1 selected. Nba 2K14 is the worst by far, it takes 2 minutes of playing a quick game to get it to happen.

Happened to me within minutes of getting the system. Hoping for a fix soon.

Haribo

Banned
Does anybody else's fan get extremely loud when playing Resogun? Pretty much everything else has what I'd consider normal fan levels - louder then my PS3 slim but quieter then a (launch) 360.

i think mine outputs to 1080p with an HDMI splitter. i have to double check when i get home. i had to run pc/wiiu/ps3 through an HDMI Switcher then through an HDMI splitter to TV and then through avermedia LGP lol.

just got home and checked. ps4 HDMI Out goes into HDMI Switcher, the HDMI out goes to HDMI Splitter. one goes to avermedia LGP, the other goes straight to HDTV. still have full 1080p.

kinn

Any way to disable audio via HDMI? I have it going throug optical and dont want the TV speakers also outputting audio. I remember the PS3 having this option.

atomsk

Party Pooper
According to the tracking number they emailed me 6 hours ago, my PS4 should be back today. Even with a holiday the turnaround was less than a week.

Here's hoping everything works right

What are you splitting to?

I have this problem as well but I think it's because the splitter/PS4 are seeing my Capture Card (AverMedia AverTV HD) which only supports 1080i at max. If the PS4 scans that when booting up then it greys out 1080p.

I think I got around it once when I was trying to see why it was in 1080i by unplugging the HDMI from my splitter to my capture card, powering off the PS4 and then taking the Auto HDMI detection off and putting it on 1080p. I might have had to boot into Safe Mode to reset the display... I don't remember.

it's a splitter that has 1 input (from receiver to splitter) and outputs to my 1080P tv and my 720P projector.
Never had this problem with my WiiU and PS3.
Maybe i need a better splitter?..

The splitter has no switch. So maybe some of the signal gets lost.

Any way to disable audio via HDMI? I have it going throug optical and dont want the TV speakers also outputting audio. I remember the PS3 having this option.

turn the sound off on the tv?

djshauny

Banned
Switched my PS4 on last night and there was no sound. No sound in the dashboard or in game. A restart fixed this but this is the second time this has happend to me.

Is this just a fw problem?

First time it happend was when I booted up the console for the first time.

Can we do a standby fan check in here?

On Standby my fan does not run at all, only when it's doing something (uploading saves when shutting off, for example). I have my PS4 set to:

- Standby Mode (orange LED)
- USB Power - OFF
- Wake on Internet - Yes
- Connect to Internet Yes

I ask this because my friend has two PS4s (one at work, one at home) and he said he can hear the fan whirrng away all of the time in Standby (same setup as mine) on both of his.

Bit of a weird one! The fan turns on as soon as I turn on the PS4, and changes according to what its doing etc, then spins down really low for about 20 seconds whilst it updates saves when I turn it to Standby.

Wotanik

Banned
I don't know if it's a PS4 issue or LEGO Marvel issue, but when I play it co-op with my gf the game crashes quite a lot on New York free play. We take some mission or change characters and it just crashes to a blue screen where you can report the crash.

Any ideas?

graywolf323

I went all digital with my games so I didn't notice this until now but no matter what blu-ray or dvd I put in the system always says "unrecognized disc"

so I have a faulty disc drive? :-s

Kssio_Aug

Ok, I had a problem today, and I believe it was just a freeze, but it let me a little worried, here it go:

I got my PS4 today (YAY!) and when I was testing it I tried to use sharing button to record a Resogun gameplay. But when it started to load the share, I very impatiently could not wait and canceled it pressing circle.

Came back to play Resogun, and tried a little after using the share again... but then, the share screen did not show up, and my Reosgun app frozed for a while. The system however did not freeze, and I was able to press the PS Button and go to home screen, and come back to Reosgun and continue playing it... but everytime I pressed the share button, the Reosgun app frozed for a while, just like the 1st time.

Then I changed from HDMI 3 (my PS4) to HDMI 1 (my PC) to check about it in the internet, and see if I were doing something wrong. When I came back to HDMI 3 I got just a black screen, and when I looked at my PS4 it was blinking the WHITE light (not blue).

I tried:
-Take off and put it on again, the HDMI cable at the TV and at the PS4. Did not worked.
-Tried change the HDMI port. Not worked.
-Tried to turn off the system by pressing the power button for a while (tried a trully long period of seconds). Not worked. Nothing really happned, not even a single beep.
-Tried the same as the power button, but at the button below it, just to be sure. It just beepped when I pressed, but after waiting, no beeps also. Did not work.
-Tried pressing the PS button for a long time, until it got orange for a while. Then, tried pressing it again, nothing happened.
-After trying all of those things, I had no clue of what to do, but pull of the power cable (and I hate doing that, mainly at something that new).

After plugging the power cable again, the system started at safe mode, and restarted itself again to enter at normal mode after a "check". After this, everything was working like a charm again... i played more of Reosgun, used the share button to upload a video, to upload screenshots, etc. Also during this, just to make sure, I was all the time changig my TV to HDMI 1 and 3 from time to time, to check if the problem would happen again, and nothing really happened.

Also, seems to have nothing wrong at the HDMI port in the PS4 system or at the TV (it wasnt hard to pull it off, neither put it in again... and also it seems to be plugged perfectly fine).

So... it was just a freezing that happned because of a software problem. Or it could be a HDMI or hardware problem?

Thanks in advance.

Schrade

Sounds like you uplugging the PS4 made it lose the HDMI settings/sync and when you got into Safe Mode that allowed you to reset the sync.

Dunno about the freezing but perhaps that is indicating there's an issue with the filesystem on the drive or just a problem with the hard drive in general.

Very early on in this thread I posted the exact process I used to setup my system and I feel it's something everyone should do, regardless if they've added a new HD/SSHD/SSD to the system or not.

Download that Recovery Firmware Update (not the plain firmware update but the one that contains the entire system software) and go through the steps to reformat the hard drive and reinstall the OS.

See if your problems clear up then. It doesn't take long (unless you have to redownload stuff :-/ )

Schrade

it's a splitter that has 1 input (from receiver to splitter) and outputs to my 1080P tv and my 720P projector.
Never had this problem with my WiiU and PS3.
Maybe i need a better splitter?..

The splitter has no switch. So maybe some of the signal gets lost.

Unplug the projector, unplug power to the splitter, power off your receiver, power off your PS4.

Once everything has had time to do a full power off, plug in the power to the splitter. Turn on your TV. Power on your receiver. LEAVE projector unplugged. Then boot the PS4 up in Safe Mode.

Do the Display Reset (or whatever the option is named.. I forget what it's called) and get into the PS4's OS. Then go to the PS4 display settings and see if it's seeing all your resolutions and that you're in 1080p.

My thought process here is that the PS4 is scanning the capabilities of the devices attached via HDMI and since you've got two different devices on the splitter with two different max resolutions, it's making the PS4 choose the lowest supported resolution between the two.

Kssio_Aug

Sounds like you uplugging the PS4 made it lose the HDMI settings/sync and when you got into Safe Mode that allowed you to reset the sync.

Dunno about the freezing but perhaps that is indicating there's an issue with the filesystem on the drive or just a problem with the hard drive in general.

Very early on in this thread I posted the exact process I used to setup my system and I feel it's something everyone should do, regardless if they've added a new HD/SSHD/SSD to the system or not.

Download that Recovery Firmware Update (not the plain firmware update but the one that contains the entire system software) and go through the steps to reformat the hard drive and reinstall the OS.

See if your problems clear up then. It doesn't take long (unless you have to redownload stuff :-/ )

Actually, I did not unplugged the HDMI (except after the problem showed up). I changed my HDMI channels from HDMI 3 (where my PS4 is plugged in) to HDMI 1 (where my PC is plugged in) just to make a search at the internet.

When I changed the channel again to HDMI 3, then it was black and the system blinking in white.

Im not sure, but I believe it have something to do with the share problem that I had. After I canceled the share window, and came back to resogun the system started to act a little wierd (I could not even open up the PS button menu). I think it was a bug that caused that in the software... and, for some reason, when I changed my channel and the system software recognised it wasnt using the video and audio anymore via HDMI, it just frozed. And I were unable to come back, even unplugging it ang plugging again.

After this I already did a lot of things (lot more then before it frozed) and nothing wrong happned. So, I think I'll continue using it, and see if everything will continue working fine.

Seems a software bug problem... I hope so.

Does anyone else hear their PS4 running loud? I just finished playing AC4 and was sitting at the XMB and heard my system over my headphones. First time I noticed it. Its in an open air rack.

Networker

Banned
So now since its launched worldwide what's the general failure rate? My PS4 is rocking since the launch day, was planning to buy the warranty within 30 days. But I think I should be okay? what you guys think?

Simo

Posting on my friend's behalf but he got a PS4 and Assassin's Creed from GameStop on Monday and while everything was running fine the system died on him last night.

HDMI connected fine and his download of Battlefield 4 from the PS Store had just completed and so when he went to launch it the whole system abruptly shut off. He turned it back on and got the message about it turning off etc and if he would like to send an error report which he chose to do but the message wouldn't go away and kept asking if he would like to send a report. After trying for a few minutes to get past the message he restarted the system. Same message but he got past it to get to the menu.

He then tries to launch Assassin's Creed but notices on the loading screen a bunch of artifacts and "squiggly lines". He backed out of the game and tried restoring everything back to default and deleting everything off the HDD. Seemed to work but then the system shut down again and won't turn back on.

I managed to walk him through checking the HDD is secure and launching safe mode per Sony's guide but when he tried choosing the rebuild database option the system shut itself down again. Seems to be totally bricked now.

EDIT: Friend called Sony and told him it was pretty much toast. They're sending him a box to arrive tomorrow and then a new unit will be dispatched next week to replace it. He said the customer service was pretty ace and they told him to go ahead and keep the controller and everything and just ship the unit.

Maxxan

Here a problem i haven't seen before. A friend's PS4 refuses to load a disc. You can't even insert it without it spitting it right back out. DL gaming works fine. Any solutions?

Edit: nevermind. unplug, let it chill for a while, safe mode start, choose option 5 :)

Top Bottom