• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

Carnby

Would a kind Gaffer who has some Home Theater setup savvy help me out?

I'm trying to make sure I am getting 5.1 Channel surround sound (Dolby and DTS are supported by the Sony home theater system I got) out of my PS4.

There is a lot of equipment connected to the TV (Set top box, home theater/ blu-ray player, and PS4) so instead of hooking my Digital Optical out cable from the PS4 to the receiver I connected the TV to it via that cable. Surround works for both the TV and the Blu-Ray player/receiver).

Going into the PS4 audio output setting from the main menu and getting the correct settings has been confusing. At first I had the PS4 audio outputting to HDMI but with the receiver set to output whatever the TV was broadcasting. I got sound, but the center and rear speakers were not outputting.

I then followed the instructions on this IGN PS4 Wiki and got the center speaker working by switching the output from HDMI to Digital Optical despite the cord not being connected to the PS4. I also set it to output in Dolby and DTS 5.1 and for it to prioritize Dolby bitstreams. I fired up a Netflix video that supported Dolby audio but I am not sure if I have the setting configured correctly.

Please help and thanks to anyone that takes the time to read this long post.

I am having this exact same problem too. I hope we can both find an answer.

My first PS4 had a faulty Bluetooth chip so I returned it to Amazon for a full refund. I received my new PS4 from Target.com today and I have the blue light of death. What the fuck?!?!? Target did not pack the system well at all. Guess I'll call Sony for a coffin tomorrow...

I'm wondering if I have a faulty BT chip. Did you also have an issue with intermittent input loss? The right sick is my largest problem (in KZ/BF I will randomly lose control and just have to restart).

JayHayabusa

Ever since I got the PS4 I have been experiencing a flickering distorted picture with snowy artifacts all over the screen.
This is apparent in dark areas of the UI and in all games.
In trying to troubleshoot the issue I have found the cause of this touchy HDMI handshake in my setup.
Sony must fix this via a firmware update.

Setup
PS4 => Sony STRDH740 via HDMI => Thomson 46FS5246C TV via HDMI
Receiver and TV have their firmware up to date

Symptoms
- Extreme flickering. Snowy white pixels. Horizontal blue lines.
- This is apparent in all areas of the UI and games. Especially visible in dark loading screens.
- Only occurs when the resolution is set to 1080p or Automatic. The other 2 Display Options have no effect on this issue.

Retailer and Console info
Amazon on launch day in Europe on November 29th. Preordered June 21st
Console manufactured in Japan$

Troubleshooting
1- Tried 4 different HDMI cables. Same issues.
2- Tried a different TV. Same issues.
3- Tried different device (Xbox One) in the same socket. No issues.
4- Tried a older receiver (Sony DGH8000). Same issues
5- Issue is not visible in Safe Mode.
6- Reinitialized the PS4. Issue appeared as soon as the new firmware was flashed and the PS4 proceeded to install the software.

Workaround
1- Change the resolution to 1080i, 720p or 480p and continue using the receiver
2- Hook the PS4 directly into the TV (Thomson) and set it at 1080p

Discovery and Cause
- Was on my Xbox One which is hooked up the same way and is working perfectly.
- In Settings, I changed the TV Connection setting from HDMI (Auto-Select) to HDMI.
- The resolution is then automatically set to 640x480. When I selected 1080p the exact same effects suddenly appeared i.e. flickering snowy picture and horizontal lines.
- I looked over under the Picture group of options and saw that the Color depth setting was also reset to 24 bits per pixel. I selected 36 bits per pixel and like magic the picture is clear and flawless.
- It appears it is a firmware issue and the color depth on all PS4 in firmware 1.51 must be by default set to 24 bits per pixel for all setups

So in summary I am fairly certain that the problem with all the flickering snowy picture on certain TV and receivers is the Color depth. Sony needs to introduce the 36 bits per pixel option either dynamically or offer it as an option in settings.

Will test tonight if firmware 1.52 fixed any of that.

graywolf323

well this sucks, I just got my replacement console for the one that wouldn't read discs

I was all excited, it came in a retail box even which still had the free $10 PSN code :D

but after hooking it back up I don't get any video output, also this one won't boot into safe mode no matter how long I hold down the power button I never get the second beep

I went from something that was a nuisance (not being able to read discs but at least I could play digital games) to completely non-functional :(

edit: Sony is sending another box, if I'm lucky I'll have the second replacement by Saturday, maybe this time they'll leave the controller in the box too :p be nice to get a free second controller after all of this

Satchel

Banned
well this sucks, I just got my replacement console for the one that wouldn't read discs

I was all excited, it came in a retail box even which still had the free $10 PSN code :D

but after hooking it back up I don't get any video output, also this one won't boot into safe mode no matter how long I hold down the power button I never get the second beep

I went from something that was a nuisance (not being able to read discs but at least I could play digital games) to completely non-functional :(

edit: Sony is sending another box, if I'm lucky I'll have the second replacement by Saturday, maybe this time they'll leave the controller in the box too :p be nice to get a free second controller after all of this

I wasn't getting video output either. Software update fixed it though. I was getting outptu with my TV directly, but not my receiver.

How was yours hooked up?

zedge

Installed the new update. Is it me or is there more space between the cards in whats new?

*edit. meant to post in PS4 thread.

graywolf323

I wasn't getting video output either. Software update fixed it though. I was getting outptu with my TV directly, but not my receiver.

How was yours hooked up?

I tried both through my receiver and my TV

on the phone before they sent out another box they also had me take out the hard drive then turn it on and it still wouldn't enter safe mode so the thing was truly DOA

I guess add me to the group of blue blinking light of death owners. Hooked it up for the first time and the blue light just moves back and forth. I tried a new power cable, hdmi cable, and reseated the hard drive. I'm so glad I went out of my way to spend $400 and track it down. I hope Sony doesn't take forever to fix and ship it back.

Serrenn

Banned
What about noise, guys?

I know some say its "silent" but mine sure isn't. Its not as loud as my PC but I think its sure louder than my PS3(Not fat) in idle mode on the main screen. Games give me alright levels of noise, same as PS3(Only hear it when its absolutely quiet in game, like black screen loading or whatever).

Thinking my PS4 may be a bit too loud. Or maybe I'm just overreacting.

seb

Banned
What about noise, guys?

I know some say its "silent" but mine sure isn't. Its not as loud as my PC but I think its sure louder than my PS3(Not fat) in idle mode on the main screen. Games give me alright levels of noise, same as PS3(Only hear it when its absolutely quiet in game, like black screen loading or whatever).

I'd love to know about this too. Mine was getting so loud while playing kz that I sold it. Do you feel like it's getting louder in game ?
If what I experienced is the actual noise level of a ps4 I don't think I want one in the end :( I'll try again in a couple of months when it's possible to buy one (France here. Completely sold out.)

TheZink

What about noise, guys?

I'd like some comparisons on this too. I keep hearing people say theirs is silent but mine definitely isn't. It's not horrible but the fans definitely kick out some major heat and you can hear them especially in BF4 after 20 min or so.

isb

Banned
What about noise, guys?

My PS4 was LOUD in my TV-furniture, and by loud i mean 360-jet level loud. It had maybe 1dm of space behind it, i tried putting it on the floor instead and then it was dead quiet. Drilled up a hole in my TV-furniture behind the PS4 and ever since it has only made a noise once when i played KZ multiplayer. The fan got loud for about 2 seconds and then quiet again.

My headphone jack seems to be messed up. The audio cuts in and out and gets fuzzy. I tried several different headsets so I know it's the controller. I wonder if it's worth a call to Sony? Will they do anything?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
My PS4 was LOUD in my TV-furniture, and by loud i mean 360-jet level loud. It had maybe 1dm of space behind it, i tried putting it on the floor instead and then it was dead quiet. Drilled up a hole in my TV-furniture behind the PS4 and ever since it has only made a noise once when i played KZ multiplayer. The fan got loud for about 2 seconds and then quiet again.

Hmm, is this similar to how you had yours?

iLaCWllMbi8BD.jpg

The front is always completely open when the PS4 is on. I wouldn't say the fan gets extraordinarily loud, but I can definitely hear it. What I hear much more than that though, is the disc drive. It gets LOUD, and I'm thinking maybe the glass shelf the PS4 is on starts resonating with the vibrations to make them much louder.

My headphone jack seems to be messed up. The audio cuts in and out and gets fuzzy. I tried several different headsets so I know it's the controller. I wonder if it's worth a call to Sony? Will they do anything?

I'm just gonna go ahead and post this again:

Again, are you sure it's actually in all the way? It takes quite a bit of force for me to get it in the last bit, but then it's super tight. Here, I made a photo comparison:

Not in all the way (even though it feels like it is):
ibwIowo0xJdOgp.jpg

In all the way (getting here from the last image takes a bit of force):
ibvEPDBIlBhBIr.jpg

isb

Banned
Hmm, is this similar to how you had yours?

iLaCWllMbi8BD.jpg

The front is always completely open when the PS4 is on. I wouldn't say the fan gets extraordinarily loud, but I can definitely hear it. What I hear much more than that though, is the disc drive. It gets LOUD, and I'm thinking maybe the glass shelf the PS4 is on starts resonating with the vibrations to make them much louder.

I'm just gonna go ahead and post this again:
Very similair, before i had around 1dm as i wrote behind it(no idea what that is in inches" and now after i drilled a large hole i have around 2,5-3dm.
Try to put it out on the floor in a open space and see if the fan quiets down.

Serrenn

Banned
I'd like some comparisons on this too. I keep hearing people say theirs is silent but mine definitely isn't. It's not horrible but the fans definitely kick out some major heat and you can hear them especially in BF4 after 20 min or so.
Glad I'm not the only one, heh. Guess we all have different tolerance for consoles being "loud".

This is how my PS4 looks. Should be plenty of space for air flow(Gamepad for reference) but it gets pretty loud when I play KZ.
w4tjZQ8.jpg

AKAperly

Neo Member
A bit late with this answer, but yeah, I've also noticed this. I don't believe I've had any full audio dropouts, but definitely some slight popping. It definitely seems like some sort of wireless interference issue. Not only other BT signals can cause this, but also other wireless signals like Wi-Fi, etc.

Thanks for reply; Yeah the results really seem to vary from session to session. I played a few hours of Killzone yesterday with almost no popping to speak of.

CozMick

Banned
Just updated to 1.52, instead of restarting the console installed the update and then turned itself off, I powered it up again and it started in safe mode, "restarted system" and it worked.

Why exactly would it start in safe mode?

Au{R}oN

Banned
Hi guys, i want to share my experience:

bought a brand new PS4 on nov 29, (killzone bundle)
Plugged into my 42" Full HD Hantarex TV
Not a single issue.

Today, i bought another brand new PS4 (no bundle)
Plugged into my 32" Toshiba REGZA and tadaaa, no output from the HDMI!
Tried to plug this new PS4 to my Hantarex TV and tadaaa, perfect output from the HDMI!
So, i decided to update the OS to version 1.52 to see if Sony maybe fixed the TV compability, and i was right. Just after the 1.52 update my Toshiba REGZA recognize the output and everything is working like a charm on my second PS4!

So, if someone cannot get output, try different tv, update to 1.52 and then try again on the old TV.

~~Hasan~~

This is normal. I have 2 ps4 one from europe the other is USA. Both do the same in bf4 after 20 mins. That is the third fan gear. First when u turn ps4 on. U hear nothing. Fan spinning very low. Second gear after like 30 mins or so of not heavy games like cod. And it stays at that level. Level 3 for heavy games like bf4 and killzone after 20 mins.

There is alao 4th fan level. Play heavy game on a vertical ps4 :). It will block the holes on the side of the console and u will hear the fan. This is normal dont worry about it

Launch day PS4 from Amazon. Hongfujin Yantai China September 2013. I don't have the serial number on hand because I'm not at home.

I searched in this thread, and it looks like Atomsk has experienced something similar to what I'm currently experiencing. I first searched for "beeping" and didn't find many results, but when I then attributed the beeping to a problem with the disc drive, I found more results.

So, this problem manifested itself just a couple nights ago when I received my new Skullcandy PLYR 1 headset (which are awesome, btw). I hadn't had a chance to play my PS4 for a few days, so when I booted it up, I was greeted by a notification to install the latest 1.52 fw that had automatically downloaded while on standby. After the quick update and restart, I hooked up the headset to the PS4 via the optical and USB cables. I proceeded to play some Resogun to test out my new cans for about a half hour. After my session, I plugged the headset into its base station for charging and put the PS4 into standby as usual. A couple of minutes after that, I heard the PS4 beep 3 quick times, basically the same sound the PS3 makes when you hit the eject button with no disc in the system. Of course, I didn't know what it was at first, and it happened sporadically a couple more times after that before it finally stopped. Unfortunately, since I had just installed new fw and plugged-in my new headset for the first time, I didn't know if it was being caused by the fw update, the headset, or if it was unrelated to either of those and just coincidentally happened on the same night.

Fast forward to last night. It started randomly beeping again and I hadn't powered on the console since the previous night. I power on the PS4 and listened carefully. I noticed the sound of the disc drive functioning like it was attempting to eject a disc. And it was occurring in a constant loop. I did some research on the Net and found people having problems with their PS4s constantly spitting out discs and not accepting them. I'm all-digital this gen, so I hadn't popped in a disc since near launch just as a test to make sure the optical drive was working. Well, I tried inserting a Blu-ray and sure enough the drive wouldn't accept it, and instead keeps trying to spit it out. So I've determined I'm experiencing the same problem I read about online, and the 3 beeps I keep hearing when the PS4 is powered off or in standby is the system trying to eject a non-existing disc. I read some posts where people alleviated the problem by booting into safe mode doing a database rebuild (option 5), so I tried that with no change in results.

Others have said that after troubleshooting with Sony, Sony told them their PS4s were defective and sent them coffins to ship back to Sony for repair/replacement. I haven't called yet, since I'm not home and don't have the PS4 with me, but it looks likely that I'll either have to ship back to Sony or simply return for replacement to Amazon. I'm not sure which avenue would be better to take. Which would be faster? Which would be more reliable? Amazon would just ship another PS4 that could possibly have the same problem or a different problem. Will Sony know of the problem and be able to fix it permanently, or will they simply send out another PS4 that could be faulty like Amazon?

Satchel

Banned
Anyone else's ps4 really inconsistent with actually going into certain settings or apps?

Sometimes mine will just take forever to go into the store, or privacy settings, if at all. Very weird. Have to basically reboot.

Readingaid

Neo Member
Can anyone tell me how the auto updates work. I left my ps4 on standby then when I came back to it it started installing the updates for the games. Am I right in thinking it only downloads updates in standby rather than download and install.

Nyx

Launch day PS4 from Amazon. Hongfujin Yantai China September 2013. I don't have the serial number on hand because I'm not at home.

I searched in this thread, and it looks like Atomsk has experienced something similar to what I'm currently experiencing. I first searched for "beeping" and didn't find many results, but when I then attributed the beeping to a problem with the disc drive, I found more results.

So, this problem manifested itself just a couple nights ago when I received my new Skullcandy PLYR 1 headset (which are awesome, btw). I hadn't had a chance to play my PS4 for a few days, so when I booted it up, I was greeted by a notification to install the latest 1.52 fw that had automatically downloaded while on standby. After the quick update and restart, I hooked up the headset to the PS4 via the optical and USB cables. I proceeded to play some Resogun to test out my new cans for about a half hour. After my session, I plugged the headset into its base station for charging and put the PS4 into standby as usual. A couple of minutes after that, I heard the PS4 beep 3 quick times, basically the same sound the PS3 makes when you hit the eject button with no disc in the system. Of course, I didn't know what it was at first, and it happened sporadically a couple more times after that before it finally stopped. Unfortunately, since I had just installed new fw and plugged-in my new headset for the first time, I didn't know if it was being caused by the fw update, the headset, or if it was unrelated to either of those and just coincidentally happened on the same night.

Fast forward to last night. It started randomly beeping again and I hadn't powered on the console since the previous night. I power on the PS4 and listened carefully. I noticed the sound of the disc drive functioning like it was attempting to eject a disc. And it was occurring in a constant loop. I did some research on the Net and found people having problems with their PS4s constantly spitting out discs and not accepting them. I'm all-digital this gen, so I hadn't popped in a disc since near launch just as a test to make sure the optical drive was working. Well, I tried inserting a Blu-ray and sure enough the drive wouldn't accept it, and instead keeps trying to spit it out. So I've determined I'm experiencing the same problem I read about online, and the 3 beeps I keep hearing when the PS4 is powered off or in standby is the system trying to eject a non-existing disc. I read some posts where people alleviated the problem by booting into safe mode doing a database rebuild (option 5), so I tried that with no change in results.

Others have said that after troubleshooting with Sony, Sony told them their PS4s were defective and sent them coffins to ship back to Sony for repair/replacement. I haven't called yet, since I'm not home and don't have the PS4 with me, but it looks likely that I'll either have to ship back to Sony or simply return for replacement to Amazon. I'm not sure which avenue would be better to take. Which would be faster? Which would be more reliable? Amazon would just ship another PS4 that could possibly have the same problem or a different problem. Will Sony know of the problem and be able to fix it permanently, or will they simply send out another PS4 that could be faulty like Amazon?

Same problem here yesterday just as a griend was over to see the ps4.

Rebuilding the database didn't help here but a hard reset solved the problem for now.

Ever since I got the PS4 I have been experiencing a flickering distorted picture with snowy artifacts all over the screen.
This is apparent in dark areas of the UI and in all games.
In trying to troubleshoot the issue I have found the cause of this touchy HDMI handshake in my setup.
Sony must fix this via a firmware update.

Setup
PS4 => Sony STRDH740 via HDMI => Thomson 46FS5246C TV via HDMI
Receiver and TV have their firmware up to date

Symptoms
- Extreme flickering. Snowy white pixels. Horizontal blue lines.
- This is apparent in all areas of the UI and games. Especially visible in dark loading screens.
- Only occurs when the resolution is set to 1080p or Automatic. The other 2 Display Options have no effect on this issue.

Retailer and Console info
Amazon on launch day in Europe on November 29th. Preordered June 21st
Console manufactured in Japan$

Troubleshooting
1- Tried 4 different HDMI cables. Same issues.
2- Tried a different TV. Same issues.
3- Tried different device (Xbox One) in the same socket. No issues.
4- Tried a older receiver (Sony DGH8000). Same issues
5- Issue is not visible in Safe Mode.
6- Reinitialized the PS4. Issue appeared as soon as the new firmware was flashed and the PS4 proceeded to install the software.

Workaround
1- Change the resolution to 1080i, 720p or 480p and continue using the receiver
2- Hook the PS4 directly into the TV (Thomson) and set it at 1080p

Discovery and Cause
- Was on my Xbox One which is hooked up the same way and is working perfectly.
- In Settings, I changed the TV Connection setting from HDMI (Auto-Select) to HDMI.
- The resolution is then automatically set to 640x480. When I selected 1080p the exact same effects suddenly appeared i.e. flickering snowy picture and horizontal lines.
- I looked over under the Picture group of options and saw that the Color depth setting was also reset to 24 bits per pixel. I selected 36 bits per pixel and like magic the picture is clear and flawless.
- It appears it is a firmware issue and the color depth on all PS4 in firmware 1.51 must be by default set to 24 bits per pixel for all setups

So in summary I am fairly certain that the problem with all the flickering snowy picture on certain TV and receivers is the Color depth. Sony needs to introduce the 36 bits per pixel option either dynamically or offer it as an option in settings.

Will test tonight if firmware 1.52 fixed any of that.
Hmm. Hopefully I won't have this problem as I will be hooking up my PS4 via my SonyA/V Receiver (Sony STRDH820) but we will see.

I'm having some problems with the share features.

There have been several instances now where I would hit the share button after a particularly awesome gameplay moment.

When I get around to actually looking at the saved video though, it takes place well before the time I hit share... so far in advance that the full 15 minute video ends before I even get to the part I cared about.

Is there anything I can do re: cache or buffer or whatever to fix this? It wasn't an issue when the PS4 was brand new out of the box, it's just started happening a week or two ago.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm having some problems with the share features.

There have been several instances now where I would hit the share button after a particularly awesome gameplay moment.

When I get around to actually looking at the saved video though, it takes place well before the time I hit share... so far in advance that the full 15 minute video ends before I even get to the part I cared about.

Is there anything I can do re: cache or buffer or whatever to fix this? It wasn't an issue when the PS4 was brand new out of the box, it's just started happening a week or two ago.

Yeah, this happens, unfortunately. What you can do is press Share once when you've started the game and then back right out again. Every time you press Share the current recording (if there is one) is saved and a new one is started, so this should make sure the console is recording from that point on. Double-pressing Share has the same result, I think.

I'm wondering if I have a faulty BT chip. Did you also have an issue with intermittent input loss? The right sick is my largest problem (in KZ/BF I will randomly lose control and just have to restart).
Yeah, after 10-15 minutes of playing anything I'd lose signal on my controller and have to reset it. My new one arrived a couple days ago and works fine.

Hurley

Seriously why the hell is my PS4 randomly turning on then turning off with it then only being able to go into safe mode when I turn it on again?

It's so frustrating, it's only been doing this since 1.52 so I don't know if it's firmware or what.

Basically the only way to get it out of safe mode again is to go to update (in safe mode) which it then for some reason downloads 1.52 again then it boots back up normally.

It's not doing this constantly but just then it decided to turn on, beep then turn off and do this safe mode shit again.

Ugh.

_Isaac

Can anyone tell me how the auto updates work. I left my ps4 on standby then when I came back to it it started installing the updates for the games. Am I right in thinking it only downloads updates in standby rather than download and install.

I would also like to know. It doesn't ever seem to work for me.

I would also like to know. It doesn't ever seem to work for me.

There's an option in Settings somewhere that allows the system to install updates while in standby. Maybe it needs to be turned on. My PS4 has been downloading and installing updates just fine. The notifications feed shows patches as being installed and double checking the game's version history (hit the option button while in a game's live area) confirms it.

vwluke

Neo Member
jLKQA5z.jpg

Is it normal for my HDMI cable to stick out like this?

5LCq0i9.jpg

My port looks normal to me.

The PS4 seems to be working fine, just noticed the HDMI cable sticking out today

someone on my friends list just started to stream AC4 and I clicked on the box in the "What's New" section. I would have figured I could simply watch the stream from there but it stops after a few seconds and asks me to go view it through the streaming app. So, I go and find that there is no easy way to watch a friends stream, I have to go and type out exactly the same title to find the specific stream.

why did Sony make it so hard to watch our friends streams?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Can we agree this is the most annoying TV stand ever created?

Trying to move the shelves around is an epic task.

Haha, yes, that can be quite the ordeal. And those little plastic things that sit on the metal pins and hold up the shelves always (ALWAYS) fall off so you have to go digging for them behind all the stuff you have on the bottom shelf (like my receiver).

Guys, I'm trying to sign for my free trial of PSN, it takes me to the options of either the 14 day trial, 3 months or 12 months.

I select the trial option, but nothing happens! No matter how many times I click it. I even switched my ps4 on and off and it still doesn't work. GAF, what do?

Pauly Math

Neo Member
Seriously why the hell is my PS4 randomly turning on then turning off with it then only being able to go into safe mode when I turn it on again?

It's so frustrating, it's only been doing this since 1.52 so I don't know if it's firmware or what.

Basically the only way to get it out of safe mode again is to go to update (in safe mode) which it then for some reason downloads 1.52 again then it boots back up normally.

It's not doing this constantly but just then it decided to turn on, beep then turn off and do this safe mode shit again.

Ugh.

This has been happening to me whenever I leave it in standby mode. Turn it on, go into an app (netflix or whatever) and *crash* . It will then automagically reboot, disk check in safe mode, reboot again, and then it's fine. I notice this tends to happen if I don't play for longer than a day or two.

I just turn it all the way off now, problem solved. Caveat: I installed the Seagate 1TB SSHD, and run my console vertical.

Tsundere

Banned
This has been happening to me whenever I leave it in standby mode. Turn it on, go into an app (netflix or whatever) and *crash* . It will then automagically reboot, disk check in safe mode, reboot again, and then it's fine. I notice this tends to happen if I don't play for longer than a day or two.

I just turn it all the way off now, problem solved. Caveat: I installed the Seagate 1TB SSHD, and run my console vertical.

That's odd behavior, I had a seagate 1TB SSHD and stand mine vertical and it stays in standby when I put it into that mode. Never shutsdown by itself or turns itself on automatically.

Ran rp

Holy crap!! I think I've just solved my monitor issue! I haven't been able to play in HD on my 1050p monitor since launch because I've been having some sort of HDCP issue. I could play on my plasma but the ghosting is nauseating. So what I did was get an HDMI splitter from Amazon, plug my PS4 into my 1080i LED display at 1080i, disconnect the PS4 from the LED and then plug it directly into the splitter which is already connected to the monitor, then simply change the resolution to 720p! If this works every time then maybe I can go through the process again but with my 1080p plasma so I can get full HD support! But the monitor is only 1050p so I'm not sure if it'll downscale or not.

Either way, I'm happy as heck
3AQmK.gif
I'll take 720p and no ghosting over a sloppy 1080p experience any day.

Tratorn

I posted that in the launch thread, but I think this is the better place:

So I received my ps4 today and i'm really happy about its performance. But after starting KZ, my ps4 (probably the BR drive) made some "cracking" noises. It was just for 10-20 seconds (it just began installation I think), but is that normal?
Played for 30 minutes now and it didn't come back, but i'm still worried and want to know if it's normal when the PS4 starts installation from BR. Don't have an other game on BR yet, so I can't test it.

Could someone please confirm/deny if that is an hardware issue?

I posted that in the launch thread, but I think this is the better place:

Could someone please confirm/deny if that is an hardware issue?
I think we'll need to know with another game. In addition, did you open up the PS4 immediately, put it in your cabinet/stand, and then fire it up? The thing I am getting at is if the system was cold you might have heard the contraction/expansion of the system as it acclimated to the environment. Just a hypothesis, though.

Tratorn

I think we'll need to know with another game. In addition, did you open up the PS4 immediately, put it in your cabinet/stand, and then fire it up? The thing I am getting at is if the system was cold you might have heard the contraction/expansion of the system as it acclimated to the environment. Just a hypothesis, though.

No, after receiving my PS4 I waited 1.5 hours before setting it up and when I started it I spent some time to set everything up and check the store/settings.

And the noise definitely was coming from the BR drive. The PS3 does also some noise (besides the normal spinning) while installing, but on the PS4 it sounded a bit more like "cracking". But as already said, it was only some seconds at the start of the installation.

Kalren

I'm going to add my issue since this thread popped up for me.

I've been playing Warframe pretty exclusively on my PS4 and just in the last few days I've been getting a lot of graphic anomalies.

Facebook Link

It happens for most of my actual paying and it seems to be happening more and more often for longer periods of time.

Before getting into Warframe I had played Killzone and I always felt the PS4 got incredibly loud but nothing like this occurred with the visuals.. Warframe doesn't get as loud however. My next step is put Killzone through its paces again and see if it duplicates the issue in that game.

Anyone with a similar problem?

def sim

So, buying a power adapter for my hdmi switch fixed my problems. The PS4 definitely doesn't play well with passive switches.

Top Bottom