• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

Reule

Nothing really new but I had the share bug last week. Pressed Share and had footage from an hour ago. Hopefully the next update addresses this and anyone else's issue. Missed out on some fun ragdoll footage. :p

That's because those people are lying as it's not dead silent and can get very hot as well when playing Killzone. It's maybe dead silent if you're just using the UI or watching Netflix but not when playing a game.
I wouldn't say mine is dead silent but it's pretty quiet when playing Killzone's SP or MP. It did feel fairly warm after playing a few hours though.

Anyone know what would cause my ps4 to just turn off? It never overheated and when it turned itself off the white light was on the console. Booted it back up and got a message saying the system encountered an error and had a place to submit a report. Weird.

Sometimes I go to close an application, just the standard hold the PS button, and it shows an application with a "?" for the icon. I always close it, but I can't figure out what it is for. Maybe its playstation plus doing its thing?

Quick update. I posted earlier about the issues I've been having with my PS4's. I spoke with a supervisor on Monday and they are gonna obviously replace it for the THIRD TIME but they are also gonna give me KillZone Shadow Fall for free for my troubles.

Doesn't make what I've dealt with okay but its something.

Sometimes I go to close an application, just the standard hold the PS button, and it shows an application with a "?" for the icon. I always close it, but I can't figure out what it is for. Maybe its playstation plus doing its thing?

It shows up when I hit the PS button after watching a blu-ray movie. Seems like the "?" is the software that runs them.

what firmware? 1.52
purchased from where? Amazon
what is your A/V set up like? PS4 connected to Acer 1080p monitor & Audio Output through headphones connected to Dualshock4
what resolution do you want to output in? 1080p native
were you able to get any video signal or none at all? Yes
can you hear audio? Yes

I have been facing a very weird issue every day post 1.52 firmware update. If you scroll through any game data in the dynamic UI, you can notice the 'Overview'/'Recent Activities'/'Related Items' along with the music of the game playing in the background. The Overview/Recent Activities/Related Items would never show up and the down button in the Dpad won't work with those game data icons. I would have to power it off and turn it back on again to make them work. Has anyone here faced this issue?

Had a PS4 barely 12 hours. The joypad analog stick has detoriation already, it's absolutely fucking unacceptable. These things cost so much, I'm damn sure not going out and getting another. Who else has had this problem and who do I contact to get this shit sorted out ASAP. I want a fucking replacement pad which is made properly.

Got a PS4 today and while I am absolutely in love with the system so far, I am having some horrible technical issues with it.

Played Resogun for 10 minutes when I first got the console....fan suddenly went loud and then the system turned off. Must have tried a few times after that with the same result. Then I tried Killzone and it didn't even make it through the intro cutscene before the console switched off.

Tried rebuilding the database to no avail, also tried doing the initialise ps4 (reinstall system software) but for whatever reason the console isn't recognising my USB stick so even that is going against me.

Anything else I can do to possible fix this or is there an issue with the system fans?
Going to ring up the retailer that I got it from tomorrow and potentially even Sony if they cant help me.... :(

Hurley

Just had my PS4 turn off during a game for the first time.

I was playing Zen Pinball 2 and the screen went black with like the the little loading circle then turned off.

Turned it back on and it went into safe mode, rebuilt database then restarted still safe mode. Turned it off at the wall this time and unplugged it for about a minute, turned it back on, beeped twice really quickly after the playstation logo, then went into the os and did like a scan thing or error checking, can't quite remember but after that it went to the home screen.

Seems to be okay now although I haven't tried any games or anything, just shut it down, too paranoid now that it's a hardware failure or something :(

lucius

So I have the PS4 since launch, tonight I decided to try to put in a larger hard drive that I used fine with PS3, but the PS4 wouldn't recognize system software 1.5.2 on USB no matter what I tried. I redownloaded it like 5 times to different USB drives, one of USB drives was what I used to do the day one update since the servers were super slow downloading directly from the system. I just gave up and went back to original PS4 hard drive and it working fine now, I am wondering if the servers were so hammered today the 1.5.2 system software was just not downloading right to the USB?

I have installed 4 different hard drives on two PS3's so I know the similar process I just don't know what's wrong. I see in PS4 safe mode you can download the system software from internet, but was not sure if that will work when upgrading your PS4 hard drive. Anyone else got any ideas what I could try?

On the update file could not be found install 1.5.2 or later screen I get this error code at end- CE-34788-0

Edit: ok figured out there two versions of system 1.5.2 you need the full 800mb one for new hard drive not the smaller one. I don't remember running I to this problem on my PS3 hard drive upgrades though, anyway that was the problem.

Ishida

Banned
Just brought home my brand new PS4. I'm from Mexico.

What firmware? The original thing it has out of the box.

Purchased from where? Sony Shop.

What is your A/V set up like? Tried on two TV's, one LG and one Samsung. Tried wih 3 different HDMI cables.

What resolution do you want to output in? Tried 720 and 1080p TVs.

Were you able to get any video signal or none at all? No video signal at all.

Can you hear audio? No audio.

The Blue Light pulsates. The console doesn't shut itself off. I cannot access the Safe Mode (I don't get two beeps. I do the "press power button for 10 seconds" and I only get one beep. Then the console shuts down.

Any solutions? I'm devastated =(

I've had my PS4 since launch and have played it for many hours with no issues,
but after a couple of weeks I turned it on and it came up with the PS logo, then shut down with a ping!
It wouldn't turn on again with the controller, so turned it on with the button on the console, and it started to boot, and then shut down again.
Tried again and it booted into the HDD check screen, did a test, then rebooted again warning me that it wasn't shut down last time, and thjen continued to boot and worked fine.
Now every so often, I turn it on and its just the pulsing blue light and I have to unplug it from the mains.

Once it's powered up, the console works flawlessly!? It has NEVER crashed/frozen etc and runs for many hours flawlessly. It's just this random booting up problem thats bugging me!

I have tried all steps recommended by Sony (new HDMI cable, different port on TV, new power cable, re initialised & installed FW from USB and even new HDD), but it still occasionally does it.

Id say it boots perfectly around 85% of the time.

Thoughts? Basically is it a HW issue of bug to be sorted with a patch? The console is perfect in every other way (perfect plastic finish, quiet) so really don't want to exchange!

UPDATE: Got it on camera!
http://youtu.be/tGVpuk3NvGM

subrock

I'm still waiting for a box to send my PS4 back in. Called on the 18th... this is annoying. Not a single day of my christmas break will be spent playing ps4. Got 2 games for Christmas too.

finalexit

what firmware? 1.52
purchased from where? amazon
what is your A/V set up like? onkyo 717 audio receiver connected to 40" samsung
what resolution do you want to output in? 1080p
were you able to get any video signal or none at all? everything was working fine
can you hear audio? yes

My console just randomly shut off while idling on the ps4 home screen and now it won't power on at all. After pressing the power button it beeps and the blue light flashes for a second then it shuts off.

I've tried all of the fixes including booting without the HDD but nothing seems to work.

edit: also this console has only been powered on for 3 hours total with maybe an hour spent gaming.

def sim

My PS4 shut itself off twice now, so I'll be calling in for a replacement. Hopefully they do expedited service if I let them place a hold on my card. I'd rather not have to wait for an empty box and send in my console first before getting a new one.

subrock

Day 11 waiting for a replacement box. Went to the courier depot today because the Sony support rep said delivery was attempted on Friday, bug surprise, nothing there. Called the worlds most frustrating support rep at Sony and he totally shit the bed when entering an alternate address. took about 1 minutes on the phone to convey the spelling of my name and the postal code at my work. What a fucking awful intro to Sony products.

Day 11 waiting for a replacement box. Went to the courier depot today because the Sony support rep said delivery was attempted on Friday, bug surprise, nothing there. Called the worlds most frustrating support rep at Sony and he totally shit the bed when entering an alternate address. took about 1 minutes on the phone to convey the spelling of my name and the postal code at my work. What a fucking awful intro to Sony products.

Man that sucks. :/ I feel bad I told you they'd be good about it. I got a new ps4 in 3 days.

subrock

Man that sucks. :/ I feel bad I told you they'd be good about it. I got a new ps4 in 3 days.

Yeah, I'm almost considering trying to get a replacement through amazon at this point. At least I would have one in hand while I sent the old one back. Sucks that there are no brick and mortar channels in Canada to be able to return defective consoles.

def sim

Customer service tells me it'll take 3-4 days for the whole replacement process to finish. They do not send you the console first. Oh well.

I asked if the replacement units are new or refurbished and the two people I talked to assured me they are the former.

finalexit

Did any of you guys having trouble with sony order from amazon? If so you have until Jan 31st to return it.

They will ship out your replacement PS4 instantly and give you a paid shipping label to return your broken console.

This isn't a problem, more a technical question for the experts. I just moved my PS4 to my game room (too many disturbances in the living room) and the audio setup there is slightly more basic. The room has a 5.1 receiver without HDMI passthrough. I've hooked up the PS4 to it directly via the optical port and surround seems to work. My question is what should I set the "Audio Format (Priority)" setting in the Audio Output settings menu to? All three seem to work but which one is the best?

WarpathDC

When the BD is in the drive it is very loud, vibrating against the cabinet where it sets. I realized it was the lack of the rubber foot on the bottom of rear left side that also causes the wobble. A couple of playing cards underneath solved the issue. Just more of an annoyance but FYI if this is happening to you.

Grinchy

Banned
Did any of you guys having trouble with sony order from amazon? If so you have until Jan 31st to return it.

They will ship out your replacement PS4 instantly and give you a paid shipping label to return your broken console.

Holy shit I think I'm going to just do this with mine. I was waiting until my break was over to send my PS4 in. I was going to go with Sony CS but this would be so much more convenient.

subrock

Customer service tells me it'll take 3-4 days for the whole replacement process to finish. They do not send you the console first. Oh well.

I asked if the replacement units are new or refurbished and the two people I talked to assured me they are the former.

Hah! YMMV on that. I'm at day 12 and have yet to even get the fucking box.

Striek

I'm having a problem audio. Specifically the PS4 is (I presume) outputting 5.1 over HDMI to my TV, which can passthrough 5.1 but for various reasons my surround sound isn't setup atm. End result is game audio from behind is being lost, which is quite annoying in games where characters are speaking from behind. I can't find any settings to stop this from happening?

Halp plz.

dorkimoe

went into netflix then backed out cuz i needed to go into netflix kids, screen went black... just sat there for like 5 minutes had to pull the power plug to be able to get back into it....

anyone else experience this?

I'm still waiting for a box to send my PS4 back in. Called on the 18th... this is annoying. Not a single day of my christmas break will be spent playing ps4. Got 2 games for Christmas too.

From Sony? They do next day shipping, call back if you haven't received, I sent a family members ps4 back the next day I spoke with them.

Odd story:

I think I had an issue with the fan earlier today. I kept hearing this noise coming from the console and it sounded like something spinning and I guess ticking at the same time? It happened while playing Shadowfall. I hadn't played the game since a few days after launch. The console got hot quickly each time I got to playing and the noise would be louder than the volume (which was set low).

I took the disc out but it seemed okay. I unplugged the console and tilted it thinking something was loose in there. I actually did hear some rattling in there but I assume it was the blu-ray drive or something shifting. I was kind of puzzled. Then, I kid you not, it turned on for just two or three seconds - completely unplugged from the wall. I saw the blue light strip come on. It freaked me out. I didn't think that was possible.

I plugged it back in and put in BF4. The sound came back once or twice but died down eally quickly. It hasn't come back again after a couple hours of playing and watching Netflix. I hope it was just something small that got in there that will decay or be destroyed after some exposure to heat. I really hope my fan isn't messed up. I think that is the real issue but I'm hoping someone here will tell me its okay.

went into netflix then backed out cuz i needed to go into netflix kids, screen went black... just sat there for like 5 minutes had to pull the power plug to be able to get back into it....

anyone else experience this?

There have been quite a few instances of Netflix crashing the PS4. I think it's safe to say that it's that particular app and not hardware related. On a different note, I bought some rubber feet from Lowe's and stuck them on the four corners of the underside of the PS4. I noticed it got quite warm underneath, and with it now elevated a little more it feels much cooler.

def sim

Hah! YMMV on that. I'm at day 12 and have yet to even get the fucking box.

I received mine the day after I called. You should call them and see what's up.

Anyway, they now have my console though I may not see any deliveries tomorrow with this storm coming. Here's hoping!

FaintDeftone

My launch PS4 kicked the bucket over the weekend. I just bought Lego Marvel and I got home looking forward to kicking back, relaxing and playing the game and a few seconds into the opening cutscene, my system shuts itself off and beeps three times.

I turned it on again and booted into the main menu and after about 30 seconds it did it again. Next, I booted in safe mode and tried to rebuild the hard drive, thinking maybe something became corrupted during the install of the game; 30 seconds later, the system shuts down again. Upon further inspection, I noticed that the fans were not even running at the back of the console and it started to smell a little funny. My last attempt actually presented me with the red flashing overheating light and I called it a brick.

I searched online and found that this is actually a fairly common problem. I called Sony the next day and they didn't make me go through any BS troubleshooting steps or anything and offered to send me a coffin overnight instantly. Since this was on Sunday, I didn't get the box until Tuesday night and due to new years, I couldn't ship it out until today.

FedEx is the carrier and they're awful. There isn't any shipping centers around here and the quick express drop boxes are too small to fit the massive box they ship you into it, so I had to go through hell to actually get the damn thing shipped. This sucks :(

RytGear

Recently upgraded the Hard drive to a 1TB Toshiba and everything works fine up until I try and put the system into standby mode where all I get is a pulsating white light indefinitely, never turning to orange. In this limbo state the PS4 is completely unresponsive except for holding the power button until it dies or pulling out the AC Cord.
Anyone else having a similar issue? Sony Support don't have a clue.

def sim

I received my replacement PS4 today. It appears to be a new unit that was opened to remove the cables and controller. The 30 day PS+/music pass/$10 card was left inside. The process took 5 days total with overnight standard to their center and overnight priority back to me for a Saturday delivery. FedEx took two days to deliver my console to them and Sony did not ship off this one until the day after receiving mine.

In case anyone was wondering how things can go!

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Is it normal that the console sounds like a place with kz Shadow fall? I have the game disc, but now I Downloaded ac4 played for a few min and it barely make any sound the same with other Downloaded games ( warfrsme resogun) , is kz that demanding?

def sim

After updating my new console and leaving it to download AC4 while I cook, I found it shut off and unable to get past the pulsating blue light once powered on. I did a quick search for possible fixes and the first one I found (disconnect power and HDMI cables, reconnect power and turn on, wait for white light, then plug in HDMI) worked.

Maybe my case of BLOD must have been some weird HDCP issue? Weird, they need to sort the software problems out if so. I would have been very unhappy if I had to send this one in as well.

I just want to play some AC4.

gbus

For the past couple of days I can't access the ps store. I'm logged in and can play online but for some reason I get the message that the store is undergoing maintenance which isn't correct. Anyone know what's up and how to fix it?

def sim

Well, the PS4 I just received keeps shutting itself off and now only gives me the pulsing blue light no matter what. Fantastic.

I still have the downloading bar under my Amazon app, is this normal for anyone else?

It works fine but every other app has downloaded and doesnt have this bar up under it.

teiresias

I don't have any problems except for the 15 minute recording bug it seems. It will record the first fifteen minutes of play but nothing else, like the buffer stops running. It's equally odd because the preview image on the icon for the footage is correct.

Recording by starting it myself works fine.

finalexit

I don't have any problems except for the 15 minute recording bug it seems. It will record the first fifteen minutes of play but nothing else, like the buffer stops running. It's equally odd because the preview image on the icon for the footage is correct.

Recording by starting it myself works fine.

Yeah same here. I have maybe 8 hours logged in NFS: Rivals yet it has only recorded 15 minutes of the beginning tutorial.

FaintDeftone

Sony got my console today, so I'm hoping I'll receive my replacement by Wednesday. Man, downloading all of those patches again is going to suck. Good thing I have my gamesaves backed up to the cloud via PS+.

mintylurb

Well, the PS4 I just received keeps shutting itself off and now only gives me the pulsing blue light no matter what. Fantastic.

Yup. My piece of shit 4 does the same thing. Tried initializing, reinstalling FW, rebuilding the hdd. I haven't really touched it since the launch day except to upgrade the hdd.

Just when I wanted to play some NFS...sigh..Thanks sony.

Top Bottom