• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

def sim

I received my PS4 today. I was able to update the firmware and download both AC4 and Don't Starve to completion without having any problems.

So far, so good.

coldfoot

Banned
Anyone have any guides/videos on how to take the DS4 apart and replace the deteriorating analog sticks? I ordered 10 pairs from Amazon and I hope it's not too much of a hassle to replace them.

Toski

Anyone having trouble connecting to Wi-fi regularly? My PS4 will only connect if I put it in dmz, but not a regular network connection.

Chris R

Anyone have any issues charging controllers? I've plugged in my controller with two different USB cables and also tried plugging it into another source of power other than the PS4 and no go in any form. Cables are fine because I've used them to charge my phone plenty of times. Just wondering if I have a bum controller :(

Anyone have any issues charging controllers? I've plugged in my controller with two different USB cables and also tried plugging it into another source of power other than the PS4 and no go in any form. Cables are fine because I've used them to charge my phone plenty of times. Just wondering if I have a bum controller :(

I have found that my DualShock 4 only starts charging once the battery gets down to a certain level. If I play for 10 min on a full charge, then try to charge, it won't. If I use it for a hour or so, it'll charge fine. I guessed it was to protect the battery from too many charge cycles too quickly.

Note: I am using the official charging station.

cchum

Anyone ever get caught in a ps3 group message (while on ps4)and not be able to get out of it.

This group kept changing the title to "white power", and I'd get a new message every time someone logged out. I hit options and triangle on the group and members several times, and couldn't get out until the group leader took me out.

This lasted 12 hours

Chris R

I have found that my DualShock 4 only starts charging once the battery gets down to a certain level. If I play for 10 min on a full charge, then try to charge, it won't. If I use it for a hour or so, it'll charge fine. I guessed it was to protect the battery from too many charge cycles too quickly.

Note: I am using the official charging station.

The controller is almost dead though, I keep getting low power warnings.

I guess I have to contact Sony tomorrow :|

morpix

Apologies if this is the wrong thread and there's a separate one for PSN, but this question is for the HDD replacement guys.

Did you have any issues accessing your "Code Activated" DLC's after replacing your hard-drive? Whenever I try to access any DLC that was activated with a code, it says "This content cannot be selected at this time". Everything else works fine. I can access the web store but I don't see any of the code-activated DLC's. Also, I can queue stuff from my download list, but it doesn't show on the PS4 in downloads.

I tried re-imaging my HDD, de-activating and re-activating all my Playstation systems, recovering licences in the Settings -> PSN menu. Still get this error.

I've got an open case with the helpdesk now and they've escalated it to the "PSN Team". It's been a day so far and no response yet. Their response times are 24 to 48 hours, so hopefully tomorrow there will be an answer. I just thought I'd ask here, since Google gives "PSN Maintenance" answers, but this is clearly something else.

So I have had my PS4 since launch. Never had a problem until last night. While playing 2k14, my PS4 kept auto shutting off. I unplugged power cord, and it did the same thing. It would boot up in safe mode, I would play for 10 min, then it would auto shut off.

I held down the power button for a hard shut off, and then turned it on, I was able to play for 1 hour uninterrupted till I decided I was done for the night.

What happened?
Is this common?
First time it ever happened, does it get progressivly worse?
Is there a solution?
Am I f'd in A?

def sim

So I have had my PS4 since launch. Never had a problem until last night. While playing 2k14, my PS4 kept auto shutting off. I unplugged power cord, and it did the same thing. It would boot up in safe mode, I would play for 10 min, then it would auto shut off.

I held down the power button for a hard shut off, and then turned it on, I was able to play for 1 hour uninterrupted till I decided I was done for the night.

What happened?
Is this common?
First time it ever happened, does it get progressivly worse?
Is there a solution?
Am I f'd in A?

It happened twice to my first PS4 before I decided to call it in. That's almost assuredly a power supply issue in my experience. While waiting for the shipping box, shutting off out of the blue became the norm. Playing games on it wasn't ideal. I don't know how common it is, but it was apparently common enough for support to recognize the issue and not make me do any pointless troubleshooting.

My second PS4 had the BLOD and they made me remove and reattach various things before allowing me to send it in.

Still no console, or even notification of the console shipping back to me from Sony and it's been 2 weeks now for the entire process. I'm getting really upset about this.

Contact Sony and find out whats going on mate.

I did a couple of days ago and they said they have until tomorrow to get it to me. I'm so tired of dealing with customer support. It's been terrible for both MS and Sony. Just letting people know my experience so far in this thread.

Grinchy

Banned
It looks like I'm about to be on PS4 #3. I have the disc eject issue that many others have on my 2nd PS4. The first PS4 wouldn't go into or stay in standby mode.

I've never had this much trouble with a launch system in my life (I didn't get a 360). I really don't know at this point if I should try to return through Amazon again or go through Sony. Amazon is much faster and more convenient, since I get the new system before even having to send my broken one in. But I just don't want Amazon to suffer because of Sony's bullshit.

It looks like I'm about to be on PS4 #3. I have the disc eject issue that many others have on my 2nd PS4. The first PS4 wouldn't go into or stay in standby mode.

I've never had this much trouble with a launch system in my life (I didn't get a 360). I really don't know at this point if I should try to return through Amazon again or go through Sony. Amazon is much faster and more convenient, since I get the new system before even having to send my broken one in. But I just don't want Amazon to suffer because of Sony's bullshit.

Well there you go haha.
:(

Could Amazon flag you as a "problem" customer? They would never admit they do such a thing but I'm pretty sure it happens.

I'd probably just go through Sony

Grinchy

Banned
Well there you go haha.
:(

Could Amazon flag you as a "problem" customer? They would never admit they do such a thing but I'm pretty sure it happens.

I'd probably just go through Sony

Yeah I have no idea either. I do a ton of business through Amazon between buying almost every item possible from them and selling everything as well. I'm sure they'd do another return but I don't even want to do that because this is obviously Sony's fault.

I looked around online and something said to try rebuilding the database, but that didn't work. My PS4 still just starts beeping like crazy when I turn it off or put it into standby. This shit is so annoying, but maybe it'll give me a chance to play Puppetteer.

ironcreed

Banned

Already? Jesus, man.

GutsOfThor

My launch unit is having the disc eject issue. The past two nights while I was playing AssCreed IV, it just ejects the disc about 45 minutes after I start playing the game. Ordered from Amazon as well.

What's the best route about getting a replacement? Going through Sony or through Amazon?

Number45

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but has there been ANY noise about an extension lead for the PS4 camera? Such a fucking stupid oversight when you use proprietary connectors.

Question for those of you who've had the ejecting disc/beeping problem. Was it preceded by notifications of failed automatic game save uploads? Mine was, and I read that symptom could be a precursor to the ejecting problem. I started getting those failed upload messages when booting from standby, about a week before the system started beeping/ejecting. I don't know if it's just coincidental timing of unrelated problems though. Also, did you leave your PS4 in standby before the problem occurred? Another theory is a brief power outage during standby could be borking the system. I put my second PS4 on a UPS just to be safe. Haven't had a problem yet with this second PS4 that I've had since December 8 and I leave it in standby.

GutsOfThor

Just tried to play my PS4 and now it just ejects whatever disc I put in. It also beeps three times every 10 seconds or so. Looks like it's fucked.

Question for those of you who've had the ejecting disc/beeping problem. Was it preceded by notifications of failed automatic game save uploads? Mine was, and I read that symptom could be a precursor to the ejecting problem. I started getting those failed upload messages when booting from standby, about a week before the system started beeping/ejecting. I don't know if it's just coincidental timing of unrelated problems though. Also, did you leave your PS4 in standby before the problem occurred? Another theory is a brief power outage during standby could be borking the system. I put my second PS4 on a UPS just to be safe. Haven't had a problem yet with this second PS4 that I've had since December 8 and I leave it in standby.

My PS4 hasn't been used in about a month and the entire time it's been powered off completely. I never got the message about failed game save uploads either.

My unit is beeping randomly even though I completely powered it off a couple minutes ago. Anyone else experience this?

Just tried to play my PS4 and now it just ejects whatever disc I put in. It also beeps three times every 10 seconds or so. Looks like it's fucked.

My PS4 hasn't been used in about a month and the entire time it's been powered off completely. I never got the message about failed game save uploads either.

My unit is beeping randomly even though I completely powered it off a couple minutes ago. Anyone else experience this?
Thanks for your input. And yeah that's the same problem I was having with my PS4. I'm all digital this gen so I hadn't put a disc in since I first got the system and tested it. My PS3 still handles DVD/BD duties. I first noticed the problem via the beeping and had no idea it was due to the drive constantly attempting to eject. Sometimes it would beep periodically and sometimes beep like crazy. Once the problem started occurring it also happened with the PS4 completely shutdown.

I returned it to Amazon and got a quick replacement by going to Target early morning on a Sunday. I figured it's easier to drop by Target for a replacement if I have problems again. Though I wasn't expecting extreme supply shortages this far past Christmas. Will just have to send to Sony if Target is sold out and I have another problem.

Would it be better for me to go through Sony or Amazon to replace my defective unit?
Sounds like people are getting replacements quicker from Amazon on average. Really no difference besides turnaround time. Though if you send it back to Sony, it would add to their number of confirmed ejecting disc reports so they could have a better idea how common the problem is and diagnose it.

delta25

Banned
So I'm now on my forth PS4, and as it stands this is the quietest of the previous three, the fan will still ramp up(KZS) depending on the load, but it fluctuates between speeds instead of staying at one particular level unlike my previous systems, and generally stays at a much lower level of noise.

Isocr4cy

So I have an issue that I thought was isolated to my PS4. Basically, I've created a new setup in my home that allows me to plug my consoles into an HDMI to Ethernet wall-plate located behind my television, which is wired directly to my office where the receiver wall-plate is located. For my Wii U, 360, and One, this works perfectly, I can use my second monitor to play all 3 of these consoles. However, with the PS4, my audio/video signal constantly cuts out and the sender wall-plate status light constantly blinks. I just tested the setup with my PS3, and the same thing looks to be happening although much less frequently(like once or twice every few minutes, rather than all the time). I know HDCP isn't disabled yet on the PS4, but how about the PS3? HDCP is the only difference I can come up with for why it works on my 360/One/WiiU but not my PS3/4.

seeds19

Banned
Closing knack from the menu makes the ps4 freeze a few seconds maybe a minute? Only occurs with knack, Closing killzone or other games doesn't make the menu unresponsive for a minute, isn't a great deal but is annoying, the problem is the first times i was playing the game i don't remember that microfreezes and today i noticed, anyone has the same problem or similar?

GutsOfThor

Sounds like people are getting replacements quicker from Amazon on average. Really no difference besides turnaround time. Though if you send it back to Sony, it would add to their number of confirmed ejecting disc reports so they could have a better idea how common the problem is and diagnose it.

Thanks man, guess I'll go with Amazon. How do I prepare my PS4 to be sent back? Do I just do a factory reset or are there other things I need to delete?

Grinchy

Banned
Would it be better for me to go through Sony or Amazon to replace my defective unit?

Amazon is fast as hell. You get your new PS4 before even having to send the old one in. However, I've read people posting that when they went the Sony route, Sony only wanted the console shipped back. So, they got a brand new full system, which comes with a controller. So they got a free controller out of it.

I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with mine. It hasn't had any disc troubles or beeping in the past couple days. I am still pretty worried about it though. I don't want a disc to get stuck inside and I don't want to hold onto a system that could be defective after the 1 year warranty is up.

def sim

My new PS4 has been running fine. The only thing different about it is that it beeps three times whenever I put it into standby. I don't know if it does the same thing if I shut it off.

Weird, but I won't complain as long as it runs.
Hard reset fixes everything, of course.

Grinchy

Banned
lol a few hours later, and my PS4 randomly ejects the Killzone disc while it was in standby. Scared the crap out of me since it was so sudden and out of nowhere

So yeah, this thing is getting sent back to Sony for sure now. I hope the 3rd time is the charm.

GutsOfThor

lol a few hours later, and my PS4 randomly ejects the Killzone disc while it was in standby. Scared the crap out of me since it was so sudden and out of nowhere

So yeah, this thing is getting sent back to Sony for sure now. I hope the 3rd time is the charm.

God damn! You're on your third one? Is Sony not sending out brand new units? I was going to go through Sony but now I may go through Amazon.

Not suggesting this is the case at all but is there a chance Amazon (or Sony) are getting returns back, giving them the once over then sending them back out as replacements?

I suspect not as it sounds like people are getting new ones back but there does seem to be a lot of defective units with the same issues from the same retailer.

Aside from loud fans at points in Killzone I haven't had a single issue so far (touch wood) which is rare for me. Bought mine from Amazon too btw.

They really need to fix this Netflix crashing issue. 1 out of 10 times I use the Netflix app it hard locks the system and I have to kill power via the surge protector... Netflix is the only thing that crashed my PS4. Killzone, Resogun, Don't Starve all run fine.

GutsOfThor

Just finished talking with Amazon and they are sending me a new unit tomorrow. Before I send the old one back, what all do I need to clear from the system? Will a factory reset delete everything or do I need to delete anything manually?

Grinchy

Banned
God damn! You're on your third one? Is Sony not sending out brand new units? I was going to go through Sony but now I may go through Amazon.

Well I'm on my 2nd but soon to be 3rd. I had a really weird and rare standby issue with the first, then the common disc eject issue on the 2nd. It's pretty annoying.

Into

Yo UKGAF specifically, but any PS4 owner or anyone who knows anything about this:

1. I want a PS4
2. Its balls out sold out everywhere here in Denmark, on average shops are listing late march!??? (WTF!)
3. I am considering ordering it on Amazon.co.uk, where i have ordered plenty of things and they all worked fine.

The issue is the UK power plug:
n15.jpg

This is how ours look like, yes like a happy smiley!:

Now my questions are:

1. I assume the power cord is the only difference here between the PS4s in DK and UK?
2. Can i use my PS3 power cord (i have "classic" Slim PS3, aka not the new Slim-Slim)?
3. Can i buy a power cord for my PS4 to work in on my walls?

I know converters exist, but are they "safe"? Ive read how they can cause malfunctions and such.

Thanks in advance to anyone who bothers answering.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Yo UKGAF specifically, but any PS4 owner or anyone who knows anything about this:

1. I want a PS4
2. Its balls out sold out everywhere here in Denmark, on average shops are listing late march!??? (WTF!)
3. I am considering ordering it on Amazon.co.uk, where i have ordered plenty of things and they all worked fine.

The issue is the UK power plug:

This is how ours look like, yes like a happy smiley!:

Now my questions are:

1. I assume the power cord is the only difference here between the PS4s in DK and UK?
2. Can i use my PS3 power cord (i have "classic" Slim PS3, aka not the new Slim-Slim)?
3. Can i buy a power cord for my PS4 to work in on my walls?

I know converters exist, but are they "safe"? Ive read how they can cause malfunctions and such.

Thanks in advance to anyone who bothers answering.

The second picture is not the UK power plugs (the first is though).

1) It's the only difference. Just get a well-built but basic UK/EU socket adapter and you're golden. E.g. something like this one:
ReLrMiD.png

2) I believe so, as far as I understand, you can just use a standard 8-pin power cable for the PS4, identical to the ones for later-model PS3 and many other power appliances.
3) Probably somewhere, spare parts/replacements from somewhere. There's no difference in voltage or anything between UK and rest of Europe.

Like this, or the grounded round version:
uWMxrP1.png

Grinchy

Banned
I think this just solved the problem! Check it out: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-4-Support/INFO-Issues-with-ejecting-PS4-discs/m-p/42710789#M36877

I've been playing for the past hour or so with no problems. Give it a shot!

I might try that, but the problem definitely comes and goes for me as it is. If I leave it unplugged for a while and turn it back on, the problem goes away until it suddenly happens the next day. I'll see if this does actually fix it though.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Can anyone help on my headset issue?

It seems I can hear myself when speaking to my friend, and he can hear himself.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

I'm guessing you're using the included headset? Then the issue is simply that it's a piece of crap. I also have this issue with it, as do tons of other people.

Grinchy

Banned
Can anyone help on my headset issue?

It seems I can hear myself when speaking to my friend, and he can hear himself.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Here's what's happening. When you speak, it is coming out of his earpiece at a loud enough volume that his mic picks it up. So then you hear yourself going through his mic.

You can fix this. Each of you has to turn down your earpiece volume in the settings. You should only have to turn it down a few notches before the problem goes away.

Into

Thanks to Tunesmith for answering my questions. I ordered a PS4 from Amazon.uk and look forward to getting it.

Ive had a N64 that i also bought from the UK and it has that "funny" UK power plug, and ive used a converter and its always worked just fine. So i am hoping everything works out well

They really need to fix this Netflix crashing issue. 1 out of 10 times I use the Netflix app it hard locks the system and I have to kill power via the surge protector... Netflix is the only thing that crashed my PS4. Killzone, Resogun, Don't Starve all run fine.

I've had this happen to me a few times. I boot up Netflix and it locks on the loading screen. The only thkng I can do is hold the power button down to reboot it. It's really annoying

Top Bottom