• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

I'm guessing you're using the included headset? Then the issue is simply that it's a piece of crap. I also have this issue with it, as do tons of other people.

Here's what's happening. When you speak, it is coming out of his earpiece at a loud enough volume that his mic picks it up. So then you hear yourself going through his mic.

You can fix this. Each of you has to turn down your earpiece volume in the settings. You should only have to turn it down a few notches before the problem goes away.

I'm using the Pulse Elite with the audio wire (and only getting it out of the left ear, annoyingly).

Awesome, I'll have a word with him and get him to turn his down as well.

Thanks for the replies. :)

owlbeak

My system started restarting itself and turning itself off while it was in standby last night. I've never had any problem with my PS4 since launch day, so this came out of nowhere.

Noticed it had shut itself off while in standby mode and turned it on, it went into safe mode and none of the options did anything, I'd select an option (rebuild database, initialize, etc) and the system would just restart in safe mode again. I unplugged it for 20 minutes, plugged it back in and it booted into safe mode, did a disk check and booted to the dashboard, but all my info and game installs are gone. :\

Seems okay now, will have to grab my saves from PSN and reinstall my games. Wonder what happened?

I had my PS4 turn itself off during BF4 awhile back and it has never done it again since. It beeped 3 times with the white light pulsing so no red light to signify overheating and it had only been on for 15 minutes. I ordered a replacement form Amazon fearing it was a power supply issue but it still works so I dunno whether or not to keep my original or the replacement. Bf4 was so buggy back then it wouldn't surprise me if the game crashed the system. Anyone had any similar issues with bf4 turning your console off?

Grinchy

Banned
My system started restarting itself and turning itself off while it was in standby last night. I've never had any problem with my PS4 since launch day, so this came out of nowhere.

Noticed it had shut itself off while in standby mode and turned it on, it went into safe mode and none of the options did anything, I'd select an option (rebuild database, initialize, etc) and the system would just restart in safe mode again. I unplugged it for 20 minutes, plugged it back in and it booted into safe mode, did a disk check and booted to the dashboard, but all my info and game installs are gone. :\

Seems okay now, will have to grab my saves from PSN and reinstall my games. Wonder what happened?

Wow that's a weird one. I haven't stayed that on top of this thread but I haven't seen that mentioned before.

My first PS4 shut itself off when in standby all the time, but outside of that it worked just fine.

Into

Think i am ready for the BritStation 4 =P

WOU711K.jpg

I got two options, think i will try the PS3 Slim power cable and hope nothing sets on fire!

GoaThief

Ive had a N64 that i also bought from the UK and it has that "funny" UK power plug
:) What's funny about it?

Has anyone got any tips for getting music unlimited to work without crashing? I've worked out accessing a play list to view or edit whilst it's playing music listed in there causes a crash but it still seems to die randomly.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I'm using the Pulse Elite with the audio wire (and only getting it out of the left ear, annoyingly).

Awesome, I'll have a word with him and get him to turn his down as well.

Thanks for the replies. :)
You get voice in both if you pick All Audio as output rather than only Chat. Then adjust the voice/game audio mix of the headset to an appropriate level. That's what I do.
Think i am ready for the BritStation 4 =P

I got two options, think i will try the PS3 Slim power cable and hope nothing sets on fire!
EU cable should work just fine.

Grinchy

Banned
I started to just eject my disc after playing a game so I could avoid the annoying ass beeping from the disc eject issue. That apparently doesn't even work. Out of nowhere my PS4 (which was shut off completely) starts beeping like crazy. I have to keep it unplugged whenever I'm not using it now or else it just starts beeping like an idiot.

I think I'll go ahead and just call Sony tonight.

HOORT

Neo Member
So I have my PS4 since Christmas day (I'm 35 I know )

Suddenly while watching Homeland PS4 shuts down

When I try start it up again I get NO SIGNAL on TV

After trying 3 HDMI leads and my other 1080p TV still nothing..

Phoned SONY who advised me to:

1 Try new leads DONE
2 Try another TV DONE
3 Try holding power button for 10 sec waiting on 2 beep DONE
4 ABOVE but remove the hard drive first
(slide the polished black section of the top of the console to the side then
remove the screw with PS logo's letting the hard drive slide out)
Still nothing...

Sony Agree to replace the console with a straight exchange approx 48 hr delivery to my home.

In case this happens to anyone else as I struggled to find anything online that really helped me at the time.

DarkMehm

My PS4 is working fine, but for the first time since launch I had a weird issue. As I watched a stream of Ghosts I hit "Start this Game" and my PS4 completely locked up. Seems to be a purely software issue. After this everything was fine, except, I can't start Games from a Stream anymore. Weird.

I posted earlier in this thread why I sent in my previous 3 PS4's and got new ones. The fourth replacement unit I got in worked good enough for a couple weeks than it started freezing up on Netflix and Huluplus. From time to time while watching a movie the PS4 would eject the Bluray and turn itself off and from time to time while my kids are watching Netflix the PS4 would freeze up and turn itself off. Called Sony support and they are gonna replace it yet again for a new one. So I'm going on my fifth PS4.

This time I asked to speak with a supervisor after Chris the costumer support guy set up the whole replacement process. Chris struck me as a pretty good guy So I gave him a recommendation to his supervisor. I spoke to the supervisor and told her how agitated I was about all this while remaining respectful.

I SOLD MY VITA, VITA GAMES, AND 32 GB MEMORY CARD FOR THIS SHIT! I have spent more time trying to fix the PS4 than I have playing it! To say I'm annoyed is a understatement. Why the hell can't they get a full working system? SMFH... I understand shit happens at the beginning at every launch but shit has happen to me five freaking times. I'm tired of driving 37 miles one way to drop off the broken PS4 at the nearest FedEx location each time this shit breaks on me.

I like (want to love) the PS4 and it's my system of choice. I just wish I can get my hands on one that works.

kriskrosbbk

Strange thing happened to me for a first time .I was playing battlefield ,then went to the PS home and when resumed it ,the DS4 wasn't working ,only option was to close the app. Tried with Resogun ,same thing . The fix was to reset the console.

Strange bug ,never seen it here . Anyone else?

Mafia Films

Neo Member
A+ on my end....Ive even tripped the power cable(wiring mess) out of the wall several times whilst the system was on/stand by, came back Alright.

Anyone having problems with sticking triggers on their DS4? I did on my R1 bad. It would stay stuck down. Turns out you can pop the r1/l1 off with a small flatedge and get in there and clean the dust/gunk off the "posts" the triggers slide onto.

No screws to take out..and this fixes the issue. Fixed my R1 up in less than 60 seconds cleaning with Qtip and R-Alch

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Has the shutting down issue been resolved yet? It started happening to me tonight. I was playing Don't Starve, it bleeped and shut down. I tried again and it did exactly the same. I rebuilt the database and reinstalled the system update to see if that would help but it shut down yet again. It then got into a cycle of shutting down and rebooting back to the safe mode, where it asked me to turn on the Dualshock 4. No matter which option I picked it just kept repeating the cycle. In the end I had to unplug the power supply to stop the cycle. When I started up once again, it gave me the message that it had shutdown incorrectly and automatically updated the firmware. I played for a while without a problem but I'm now worried that at any time it could just shut down again.

Sigh, does anyone else get the crash where if you cycling between your photo's it will ALWAYS crash?

I've had this bug since around launch. I report it every time... still NO fix, it is insane.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I've had the PS4 since launch here in the US. I'd say about three or four separate occasions my PS4 has randomly spit out whatever disc was inside while the PS4 was off. In order to get it to accept discs again I have to completely cut the power.

Anyone with this issue seen any luck by removing that rubber foot?

Mahonay

Banned
I've been experiencing something really weird with my wireless gaming headset.

I have a Sony Pulse Elite Edition headset. Just got it a couple weeks ago. I was using it with my PS4 for both game sound and chat.

I just tried using them again after about a week of not using them, and the PS4 is now telling me the device is not supported.

Does anyone know what the fuck is going in with this??

Kimppis

Voice controls don't work at all when BF4 is running. Even when the game is just running on the background. Is it normal? It's BF4 so why am I even asking, right? :) Any explanation for this mess?

Oh, and why are the controller's wire so damn short? Are they trying to save money with that shit? It's really unbelieveble. It just blows my mind, when everything else is designed so well. I have dropped my DS4 to the floor numerous times when it's charging... So annoying.

Voice controls don't work at all when BF4 is running. Even when the game is just running on the background. Is it normal? It's BF4 so why am I even asking, right? :) Any explanation for this mess?

Oh, and why are the controller's wire so damn short? Are they trying to save money with that shit? It's really unbelieveble. It just blows my mind, when everything else is designed so well. I have dropped my DS4 to the floor numerous times when it's charging... So annoying.

I used a USB extension cable that I had lying around. looks like shit but it works pretty good if I need to charge or play the PS3.

billy323

Banned
has anyone else been getting the notification: A LAN cable is unplugged message when booting up their system?

the connection works fine but I always seem to get this message when i sign in.

Started getting this a few weeks ago seems totally random, it has kicked me from online games when it pops up but i still seem connected. Thing is i can go days with nothing then it will pop up 2 or 3 times a session. I have ordered a new cat6 cable to run through i am using a cat5e i hope it is speed related. If it solves it i will post back if not i think this bad boy will have to go back.

I've had the PS4 since launch here in the US. I'd say about three or four separate occasions my PS4 has randomly spit out whatever disc was inside while the PS4 was off. In order to get it to accept discs again I have to completely cut the power.

Mine does this too, plus my eject button doesn't work. Is removing the rubber foot supposed to help with the disc eject issue?

Mine did this once a month ago, once yesterday while playing, and today I can't get it to stop. Unless I unplug the system, it will power on and spit out the disc. This is after it was working perfectly all morning.

Scoot2005

Banned
My PS4 power button does nothing but beep 3 times when I press it..

Normally this would worry me but everything else works perfectly. I can still put it in standby and shut it down via the controller. All of the console functions work perfectly and the only issue I've had is one freeze thanks to Netflix.

So... Any ideas as to what this is? Also, there have been zero red light issues.

Lucifon

How are everyone's fans? I got my system yesterday and found Killzone to really make it ramp up to fairly audible levels. At one point it went absolutely nuts (same as 2 minutes 50 seconds in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yMsqnDCbXs). But then I went onto the multiplayer for about 30-45 minutes and played Resogun and it seemed perfectly normal. Should I be concerned?

cjp

I just turned on my PS4 after a night in standby. All the options in the Power Saving and System options are set to download in standby but as soon as I turned it on this morning it started downloading a patch for KZ. What gives?

Derpcrawler

I just turned on my PS4 after a night in standby. All the options in the Power Saving and System options are set to download in standby but as soon as I turned it on this morning it started downloading a patch for KZ. What gives?

If it loses connection during the night for any reason it will be like that. Had same issue multiple times, then I check my router and DD-WRT shows that WAN/PPPoE connection went down in the middle of the night for few seconds.

Garcian

Has the shutting down issue been resolved yet? It started happening to me tonight. I was playing Don't Starve, it bleeped and shut down. I tried again and it did exactly the same. I rebuilt the database and reinstalled the system update to see if that would help but it shut down yet again. It then got into a cycle of shutting down and rebooting back to the safe mode, where it asked me to turn on the Dualshock 4. No matter which option I picked it just kept repeating the cycle. In the end I had to unplug the power supply to stop the cycle. When I started up once again, it gave me the message that it had shutdown incorrectly and automatically updated the firmware. I played for a while without a problem but I'm now worried that at any time it could just shut down again.

I've just had a replacement PS4 this week due to this issue - was happening randomly & was very annoying, so I called Sony. They asked me to try another power lead, which I did & it was fine for a day or so but then started happening again.

DrKelpo

Banned
How are everyone's fans? I got my system yesterday and found Killzone to really make it ramp up to fairly audible levels. At one point it went absolutely nuts (same as 2 minutes 50 seconds in this video But then I went onto the multiplayer for about 30-45 minutes and played Resogun and it seemed perfectly normal. Should I be concerned?

I think it's normal... When I play mp it depends on the maps I play.
At most of them the ps4 is at a normal level I would say, but for example at "the Park" iirc, it gets really loud. With the sound up I can barely hear it, but the first time it happened I was concerned too.

Any other experiences?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
My PS4 power button does nothing but beep 3 times when I press it..

Normally this would worry me but everything else works perfectly. I can still put it in standby and shut it down via the controller. All of the console functions work perfectly and the only issue I've had is one freeze thanks to Netflix.

So... Any ideas as to what this is? Also, there have been zero red light issues.
You sure you're pressing the Power button and not the Eject button? The Eject button beeps if there's no disc in. :D
Temporary loss in connection during the night or the patch may have been pushed out after 4 AM local time, in which case the PS4 would not see it until the next day (it only checks for updates once in 24 hours.

Scoot2005

Banned
You sure you're pressing the Power button and not the Eject button? The Eject button beeps if there's no disc in. :D.

..... Fuckin dark room grumble grumble. I always said I should stop drinking when I do dumb shit and then I actually stopped drinking. Maybe I should start again...

billy323

Banned
Started getting this a few weeks ago seems totally random, it has kicked me from online games when it pops up but i still seem connected. Thing is i can go days with nothing then it will pop up 2 or 3 times a session. I have ordered a new cat6 cable to run through i am using a cat5e i hope it is speed related. If it solves it i will post back if not i think this bad boy will have to go back.
UPDATE. New cable did not fix issue so called up Sony. They have agreed to replace console but i have to box it up, print a postage label and take it to my nearest post office. Then once received will send out new one should be within 10 days. I would return to the store but doubt they will have any in stock.
UK by the way seems we are getting shafted compared to USA who are getting 48hr turn round.

Grinchy

Banned
Well I got my new PS4 a couple days ago (this is my 3rd). I went through Sony this time instead of Amazon, which was like a 2+ week affair. With Amazon, you are sent a brand new unit before even having to send your defective one in.

I was sent a refurbished system, not a brand new one. I know there was some talk in here earlier about whether or not Sony was still sending out brand new units. Mine came in a brand new PS4 box, but there was nothing inside except a refurb. It seems to be working perfectly so far.

edit- I may have been sent a brand new unit. I don't have any way to be sure it was a refurb.

G_Berry

Banned
A+ on my end....Ive even tripped the power cable(wiring mess) out of the wall several times whilst the system was on/stand by, came back Alright.

Anyone having problems with sticking triggers on their DS4? I did on my R1 bad. It would stay stuck down. Turns out you can pop the r1/l1 off with a small flatedge and get in there and clean the dust/gunk off the "posts" the triggers slide onto.

No screws to take out..and this fixes the issue. Fixed my R1 up in less than 60 seconds cleaning with Qtip and R-Alch

I can feel the r1 getting a little tigher, tighter than l1 thats for sure.

That said, my dpad squeaks when you push forward on it. FUCKING ANNOYING!!

No fucked up analogs yet thankfully.

Cynn

I can feel the r1 getting a little tigher, tighter than l1 thats for sure.

That said, my dpad squeaks when you push forward on it. FUCKING ANNOYING!!

No fucked up analogs yet thankfully.

Pop it out and clean the posts. No disassemble, no worries.

kek_lel

Well I got my new PS4 a couple days ago (this is my 3rd). I went through Sony this time instead of Amazon, which was like a 2+ week affair. With Amazon, you are sent a brand new unit before even having to send your defective one in.

I was sent a refurbished system, not a brand new one. I know there was some talk in here earlier about whether or not Sony was still sending out brand new units. Mine came in a brand new PS4 box, but there was nothing inside except a refurb. It seems to be working perfectly so far.

How do I spot a refurbished console?

billy323

Banned

Where are you based

mintylurb

I received my replacement unit as well and what looks to be a refurbished unit as well.
Replacement unit was manufactured in December whereas my previous unit was manufactured in September.

Hopefully this one lasts longer..though I'm not holding out much hope considering
its fan is making rattling noise. How about some QC for these POS4, Foxconn and Sony?

Grinchy

Banned
How do I spot a refurbished console?
Actually that's a great question. I suppose I don't actually know that it's a refurb, but I just found it unlikely that they'd have brand new consoles sitting around outside of any packaging to stick into an empty PS4 box (with the strip of tape on the box already broken).
Where are you based
NA (Ohio)
I received my replacement unit as well and what looks to be a refurbished unit as well.
Replacement unit was manufactured in December whereas my previous unit was manufactured in September.

Hopefully this one lasts longer..though I'm not holding out much hope considering
its fan is making rattling noise. How about some QC for these POS4, Foxconn and Sony?
I wonder if it being manufactured in December makes it more likely that it's new? I wish there was some definitive way to know if it was a refurb. I just naturally assumed it was. That sucks to hear about your fan noise. My new one is working quite well so far, but like you, I'll remain skeptical for now.

So the power button.

Anyone else notice it takes a while to 'register' that its been pressed when cold booting? Sometimes I need to run my finger past it a few times. Don't have the same issue in standby.

Just a question - which would make the PS4 look better, a 27" 1080p LCD monitor or a 42" 720p plasma television? Disregarding other issues like response time, ghosting, etc.

billy323

Banned
Hope i do get a new one not a refurb as that's what Sony promised me. Maybe they are now just packing consoles only due to so many returns. Hoping to get a made in Japan model as some of those were floating around in Europe around launch.

Just a question - which would make the PS4 look better, a 27" 1080p LCD monitor or a 42" 720p plasma television? Disregarding other issues like response time, ghosting, etc.

Always depends on how close you're sitting, and the quality of each display. I would think the 1080p screen is going to be preferable though, just because you can run games at full res, as they intended.

def sim

They didn't give you the $10 credit/music/1 month PS+ card? Both my replacements from Sony had it.

cjp

How long does it take PSN to update your online status? I turned off my PS4 over an hour and half ago but I just opened up the PS app and it's showing me as online playing AC4.

I just double checked and it's fully shutdown, powered off at the mains.

def sim

Nope, there was nothing in the box except a sexy PS4. How long ago did you get those?

One in early and another in late January. I guess they're either discontinuing those cards or maybe they are using refurbished consoles now. Their support staff assured me I was sent new units with accessories taken out before shipping.

Grinchy

Banned
One in early and another in late January. I guess they're either discontinuing those cards or maybe they are using refurbished consoles now. Their support staff assured me I was sent new units with accessories taken out before shipping.

That's awesome, then maybe they really are just sending out brand new units. The broken tape and the emptiness of the package made me assume it had to be a refurb. It's a shame I didn't get an extra $10 in PSN cash but I was really hoping for some crazy luck in getting a free second controller like a few gaffers.

Really though, I'm just happy to have my PS4 back and it is working very well so far. The real test will be after playing Killzone or BF4 for a while. All I've played since I got it back is Don't Starve haha

Top Bottom