• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 HDD speed test thread (HDD/SSHD/SSD/STD)

Baptizer

Neo Member
Quick question: for the HGST Travelstar 7K1000 HD that everyone is buying, is the model number 0J22423 or 0S03563? I was going to pull the trigger but wanted to make sure I got the right one.

tazz3

will sony ever have a fw update that we can put a 2 tb hard drive in the ps4 i know
right now its only 1.5 tb we can use

nib95

Banned
Quick question: for the HGST Travelstar 7K1000 HD that everyone is buying, is the model number 0J22423 or 0S03563? I was going to pull the trigger but wanted to make sure I got the right one.

One I got was the 0J22423. No idea about the differences between it and the 0S03563.

I said fuck it and bought the sshd. So tiny...

Nice. What made you pick the SSHD over the 7200rpm drive in the end?

will sony ever have a fw update that we can put a 2 tb hard drive in the ps4 i know
right now its only 1.5 tb we can use

Is there even a 2TB that will fit right now? I could have sworn that the first one to be the right size is only available to OEMs right now

derwalde

well i bought the first one. but my ps4 isnt even here yet.

From Amazon.com:

This device is the HGST Travelstar 7K1000 Item model number: 0S03563 which is a SATA II device. (listed under "Product Features/Technical Details/Type"ATA-300). The other HGST Travelstar 7K1000-Model item # 0J22423 is a SATA III device.(ATA-600) Some laptops/desktops will not recognize the SATA III device (ATA-600) and some will. To be safe that it would work in my laptop, I went with this Item model number: 0S03563 SATA II device( ATA-300). Both units are otherwise identical in specs.

TL24

I'd love to see some testing numbers on this one. I'm contemplating between this and the 500GB Seagate hybrid drive - both of which go for about $75.

7200RPM vs hybrid, that's the question. Of course the Western Digital has the advantage of an extra 250GB as well.

The 7200RPM hybrids are tempting, but reading around their failure rate seems extremely high.

I'd go for the one that I currently have installed which of course is the Western Digital Scorpio Black WD7500BPKT 750GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache - it performs like a champ and beats out the HGST Travelstar 7K1000 all day.

Again here are my test results so far, I'll post more test results tonight when I get home:

Boot from cold to menu: 18.45 seconds (started the stopwatch when the PS4 beeped)
Boot from standby: 18.xx seconds
Game boot times (from XMB to menu/start, Disk):

Battlefield 4 (Blue-Ray) --> 20 seconds to boot into the DICE intro, not sure what to compare it to since I haven't seen anyone post their results for BF4 with the stock HDD and other HDD's
Resogun (Digital) --> 10.48 seconds from the XMB to the Sony screen

I'd go for the one that I currently have installed which of course is the Western Digital Scorpio Black WD7500BPKT 750GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache - it performs like a champ and beats out the HGST Travelstar 7K1000 all day.

Again here are my test results so far, I'll post more test results tonight when I get home:

Boot from cold to menu: 18.45 seconds (started the stopwatch when the PS4 beeped)
Boot from standby: 18.xx seconds
Game boot times (from XMB to menu/start, Disk):

Battlefield 4 --> 20 seconds to boot into the DICE intro, not sure what to compare it to since I haven't seen anyone post their results for BF4 with the stock HDD and other HDD's
Resogun --> 10.48 seconds from the XMB to the Sony screen

I wanted this one, but they did not have a 1TB version. 750GB is not worth the upgrade. Imo

Nerfon

It's same hd , 0j22423 is vpn code , 0S03563 is sku code for same hd.
On outside box there are both codes ;) Some just put one of the 2 codes but are same item.

TL24

I wanted this one, but they did not have a 1TB version. 750GB is not worth the upgrade. Imo

750GB is more than enough for now, for me at least. It's not like I'm going to install and play all the available games at this moment, I'm only playing BF4, AC 4, Killzone and Madden 25. Even with all these games installed I still have close to 600GB of space left.

Nice. What made you pick the SSHD over the 7200rpm drive in the end?

I could buy it locally instead of ordering online from the UK or something. It has been getting good impressions around here too, and I predict that the 8Gb of nand in it will really make the OS perform very smoothly. I was very torn on which one to go for, but the 5.400rpm doesn't seem to be holding back much at all. So I went with the SSHD.

In 2 years I'll buy a SSD.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I just cancelled my ST1000LM014 order. Will be sticking with the 7K1000 for now. A part of me just feels more secure in knowing I'll have a constant 7200rpm instead of a 8GB SSD/5400rpm split that will be managed without my control. I used a 7200rpm drive in my PS3 without ever having a problem, so there's that too.

You've confused me now :) I have both open in tabs.
- slower 5400 but lower temperatures and maybe improved speeds for the SSD cache
- faster physical 7200, higher temps

I can probably wait a bit longer but stocks do seem to be running low at the moment

coldfoot

Banned
In "theory" the SSHD 5400's should not be doing aswell for gaming as 7200RPM because of the way SSHDs are cached, but SSHDs "seem" to be doing quite well, only second behind the SSD's but I have only seen disc based AAA games timed, not digital to see the performance. (50GB games should run from the physical drive of the SSHD because it all cant be cached to the 8gb nand, which are normally 5400RPM vs 7200RPM = in theory better for gaming)
You are mistaken here. I have Killzone on disc but it takes up 39GB on my hard drive. SSHD's are simply quite clever and fast. I was also very skeptical of 5400RPM but the storagereview.com tests changed my mind.

derwalde

i think either way youre fine. i went for the 7200rpm because of the price. i wanted an upgrade at the lowest possible price and got the travelstar for 60€ (compared to the ~90€ of the sshd). i will eventually upgrade to a SSD in a few years.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Do the hybrid drives have write caching too? That might help with game or OS performance if you are installing/downloading while doing other things?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
http://www.storagereview.com/hgst_travelstar_7k1000_review

Based on this, the seagate momentus wood seem to be a good choice. Other than sequential 2Mb reads it outperforms the travelstar. (with the caveat that it is testing on a windows platform..)

Is that WD coming out soon then? Not sure about noise and heat from 7200rpm drive, but 16GB cache sounds good. The tested video said you can get SSHDs with up to 64GB cache, but I can't find anything more than 8.

Pbae

These drives are only sold to OEMs, i.e. inside a laptop/ultrabook. They're not out for sale this year yet.

So I should get this one right? I don't really know too much about hard drives so I would like to know if this is a good one at a good price. Since you've stated they aren't for sale yet, I guess that's why I can't find to much info?

Jarmel

Banned
Reading conflicting reports :) Some say it's only 5400 RPM, others say you need windows drivers to make use of the NAND cache :(

I would simply go with Seagate as that's a known quantity.

Any particular reason to get the Seagate and not the Hitachi(going off of the info in the OP)?

Pbae

Reading conflicting reports :) Some say it's only 5400 RPM, others say you need windows drivers to make use of the NAND cache :(

I would simply go with Seagate as that's a known quantity.

Thank you for the heads up. I was about to bite, but I think it's in our best interest to see if it's compatible first.

Also, I'm in no rush to swap out my drive so would it be beneficial to wait until cyber monday?

coldfoot

Banned
I bought one of those WD drives and will be testing it when it arrives. I spend $120 for research GAF. Let's hope it's worth it.
The best case is I have a 7200rpm 16GB SSHD that works great. Likely case is it's a 5400rpm drive and the flash portion won't work on PS4 because it needs windows drivers.

It says 5400 rpm in the auction?
Another auction has it 7200. It's a mystery!

nib95

Banned
You've confused me now :) I have both open in tabs.
- slower 5400 but lower temperatures and maybe improved speeds for the SSD cache
- faster physical 7200, higher temps

I can probably wait a bit longer but stocks do seem to be running low at the moment

Yea, it's a tough one. But so far the 7200rpm Hitachi seems to be getting better boot from standby times, so that swayed me. More than one person getting that 3-4 second boot sold me lol. But it will be interesting to get more test results as time goes on.

Yea, it's a tough one. But so far the 7200rpm Hitachi seems to be getting better boot from standby times, so that swayed me. More than one person getting that 3-4 second boot sold me lol. But it will be interesting to get more test results as time goes on.

Yeah the standby boot times on that are awesome.

Venturer

Great thread. Kinda glad I haven't pulled the trigger on a replacement drive yet but I'll be watching this with great interest, esp. seeing more comparisons between 7200 HDDs vs 5400 SSHDs.

Brohan

Hey, what do you think about this SSHD for my PS4?
Seagate 1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive SATA 6Gbps 64MB Cache 2.5-Inch ST1000LM014
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B99JUBQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Or what SSHD hybrid would you recomment as being the best for now on PS4? I'm looking for a 1T size,

This is one of the two i'm looking at (check my post above yours), i'm pretty sure it is a solid choice but before making the purchase i would like to know the difference between the two Seagate SSHDs.

coldfoot

Banned
So after seeing that vid, i guess it's safe to say SSHDs are a good choice performance and price wise.

Now i'm thinking of buying one and got 2 different SSHDs in my sight from Seagate.. the thing is.. i can't find the differences other than the prices.

Anyone care to help out?? Here they are:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178340

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178384

What do you guys think???
The retail kit comes in a fancy box and also probably brackets to fit in bigger drive slots of desktop computers.

Nightz

So after seeing that vid, i guess it's safe to say SSHDs are a good choice performance and price wise.

Now i'm thinking of buying one and got 2 different SSHDs in my sight from Seagate.. the thing is.. i can't find the differences other than the prices.

Anyone care to help out?? Here they are:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178340

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178384

What do you guys think???

Here you go: http://www.amazon.com/difference-ST...cd_dp_aar_al_a?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B00BSH3CCC

Same exact hard drive, but one is just the drive itself, the other comes in retail packaging with other stuff that you probably won't need for a PS4.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This is one of the two i'm looking at (check my post above yours), i'm pretty sure it is a solid choice but before making the purchase i would like to know the difference between the two Seagate SSHDs.

I have that one and also advised a friend to get one. I'm super impressed with the speed and of course, the space afforded to me.

i-Lo

The OP needs to be updated with all the latest info.

Hopefully, by the time I buy a PS4, the prices of SSD and SSHD should drop further. At this point in time, SSHD definitely seems like a better value for money option.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

That 3 second boot has to be an anomaly or related to booting out of 'active' standby (PS4 doing something like downloading). A 7200rpm drive wouldn't be that much faster than a 5400rpm drive, and certainly not faster than an SSD

Edit: ordered the seagate.

DBT85

The OP needs to be updated with all the latest info.

Hopefully, by the time I buy a PS4, the prices of SSD and SSHD should drop further. At this point in time, SSHD definitely seems like a better value for money option.

Meant to do it today but swamped doing a new job. I'll really really try tomorrow!

Brohan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bv2xXqVuLw

This vid is in Dutch but at around 7:30 in it shows some nice benchmarks comparing 5400rpm SSHDs to SSDs and 7200rpm HDDs.

The Seagate SSHDs are really solid and they compete just fine with 7200 rpm drives in moments when the Flash memory is useless.

No need to wait for 7200rpm SSHDs imo, just check those benchmarks.

Top Bottom