• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 HDD speed test thread (HDD/SSHD/SSD/STD)

cormack12

Gold Member
load2.png

Those results will be stock for several weeks. Don't forget the drive takes account of booting up, then swapping data round. For instance, you boot up a PS4 once and run a game seven times, which files will have been used the most? Obviously the AC files as the bootup has only been through one process. It's OK for quick startup benchmarking, but the true results will be shown further down the line. This is also why I'm not going for double platter disks. There will be contention from both sides then. I think the SSHD in that test is dual 500GB platters.

Just received my SEAGATE ST500LM000 from dabs anyway for £50, can't wait to get it cracking in there on the 29th :)

Jarmel

Banned
Those results will be stock for several weeks. Don't forget the drive takes account of booting up, then swapping data round. For instance, you boot up a PS4 once and run a game seven times, which files will have been used the most? Obviously the AC files as the bootup has only been through one process. It's OK for quick startup benchmarking, but the true results will be shown further down the line. This is also why I'm not going for double platter disks. There will be contention from both sides then. I think the SSHD in that test is dual 500GB platters.

Just received my SEAGATE ST500LM000 from dabs anyway for £50, can't wait to get it cracking in there on the 29th :)

The author of that chart used downloadable games and the variations disappeared in the later rounds. In fact the installation and load times as a whole seemingly went down a lot. You actually want to download all your games this gen.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So, is there a consensus on what the best 7200 RPM 1TB HDD option is? I'm not looking to pay more than the console itself for a large SSD.

I just can't seem to settle on which drive to buy! I want to have one ready for the European launch but I can't decide between the Seagate SSHD 1TB or the HGST 7200 HDD

Yeah, I'm thinking of just biting the bullet and getting a 1TB Samsung SSD. Then I dont have to worry about this Hybrid/7200rpm nonsense and know I'm getting the best possible thing for years. I could also use it as a PC drive if I don't want to use it on my PS4 for whatever reason. $500 is a lot to drop, but I think it would be worth it in the long run..

mylasthope

Neo Member
Yeah, I'm thinking of just biting the bullet and getting a 1TB Samsung SSD. Then I dont have to worry about this Hybrid/7200rpm nonsense and know I'm getting the best possible thing for years. I could also use it as a PC drive if I don't want to use it on my PS4 for whatever reason. $500 is a lot to drop, but I think it would be worth it in the long run..

"worth it" is relative. It's your money. If you want to spend your money on a 1TB SSD, then do it. :)

Kiant

Who knew picking a Hard drive would be so difficult lol, really tough choice since the HGST is only like £60 and the Seagate SSHD is £80 >.> ahhhh

Kiant

so arent there sshd's with a bigger cache than 8gb that would work with the ps4? (sorry if already asked)

Think it's more the fact that in the form factor you need there isn't drives with that yet. Apparently there is one with a large cache but it got delayed.

Jarmel

Banned
Ugh. Really having issues deciding between the 7200RPM HGST and the Seagate. Been agonizing over this the past day. Yes the Seagate would be faster under certain conditions but the HGST would be faster under other conditions as well. The problem is with the way the Seagate handles the caching for the 8GB. I could see that 8GB being an issue when we get into some of the larger and more detailed games and maps down the road. At least with the 7200RPM, the speed reduction should be across the board.

Mackins

After reading up and checking comparisons for the past week, there is only one option for me and that's the HGST 7200rpm 1TB.
Hopefully I'll upgrade it in a year to a SSD if the prices keep on falling down.

Waiting to see if those WD 1TB + 16GB SSD drives on eBay really are 7200rpm and then i'll bite. I can't justify a 750GB drive when I'm already down to 250GB just by installing a few games, and an SSD is out of the question unless 1TB comes down to $300 or less. I also refuse to settle for anything less than a 7200rpm drive. 5400rpm be damned.

The Hitachi 1TB 7200rpm drive was a nice deal at $69 last week and I'm sure it'll happen again at some point, but now that I see this new drive on eBay...I'm intrigued.

cormack12

Gold Member
The author of that chart used downloadable games and the variations disappeared in the later rounds.

From what I read that's just one guy anecdotally posting in the comments? Am I looking at the right place?

I'm guessing that's simply to do with all content being installed at runtime by the digital copy, whereas the caching mechanism is much more intelligent for retail/disc based games - this does have the downside of on-demand loading from the blu ray at 22-24Mbps I'm guessing, but doesn't eat up all your disk space. Again, the data will be still cached to the same HDD, but when the algorithm learns it runs hot, then it will be moved to NAND - possibly permanently depending on the frequency and performance of the pages. It's not like the disc sees a 2GB file and moves it to NAND, it might only be a small amount of pages in that file that run frequently hot. Some may be fine with the performance it has.

Honestly it's not worth comparing this until about a month in when people have standardised on the select 2/3 titles that will be their mainstays for the coming few months. I know it's common to have up-to-date information and it's hard to wait, but ultimately that's the point we're at.

Jarmel

Banned
From what I read that's just one guy anecdotally posting in the comments? Am I looking at the right place?

I'm guessing that's simply to do with all content being installed at runtime by the digital copy, whereas the caching mechanism is much more intelligent for retail/disc based games - this does have the downside of on-demand loading from the blu ray at 22-24Mbps I'm guessing, but doesn't eat up all your disk space. Again, the data will be still cached to the same HDD, but when the algorithm learns it runs hot, then it will be moved to NAND - possibly permanently depending on the frequency and performance of the pages. It's not like the disc sees a 2GB file and moves it to NAND, it might only be a small amount of pages in that file that run frequently hot. Some may be fine with the performance it has.

Honestly it's not worth comparing this until about a month in when people have standardised on the select 2/3 titles that will be their mainstays for the coming few months. I know it's common to have up-to-date information and it's hard to wait, but ultimately that's the point we're at.
load3.png

load4.png

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Genera...y-and-Download-Storage-Performance-Boot-Times

It surprised me, but there is definitely a performance advantage to installing your games from the PSN (and going all digital) compared to installing from a Blu-ray. Obviously the PS4 is doing some kind of checks with the disc in the drive on a semi-regular basis and not simply checking it once during game load time. It it were, and if the data downloaded were the same as the data copied from the disc, then load times should be identical; they aren't.

It's seemingly much better to just download the games as there is something with the disk based version that slows it down.

Quasar

Thats rather interesting. Figured it would be the same. Also interesting is that the time differential between disc and psn is not the same so it cant just be a disc check.

Smidget

What's the process like for upgrading the hard drive at a later date while retaining the old hard drive's information?

So a friend of mine at work who works fixes computers on the side said never buy Seagate drives. He says they are extremely unreliable. He recommends the Western Digital and the HGST who are owned by WD.

goonergaz

I've come to the same conclusion - prices will drop also :)

coldfoot

Banned
Did they fully install AC4 from Blu-ray? Because you can start while it still installs. To see if it's fully installed, it should take 21GB on the hard drive from the storage manager.

So a friend of mine at work who works fixes computers on the side said never buy Seagate drives. He says they are extremely unreliable. He recommends the Western Digital and the HGST who are owned by WD.
I'll back up this claim. I've seen far more Seagates die on me in my time than I have ever seen Western Digitals. I have a 10+ year-old 80GB WD HDD that still is rocking full-time in a home server. These things are rock solid. This is why I put a Scorpio Black in my PS4 over the others. I got a phenomenal deal on it and I know they are rock solid.

ClearData

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but is it advisable to use 7200 RPM drives? The Ultimate FAQ recommended 5400 RPM. I've heard the faster drives generate more heat and are thus more dangerous for the console.

nib95

Banned
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but is it advisable to use 7200 RPM drives? The Ultimate FAQ recommended 5400 RPM. I've heard the faster drives generate more heat and are thus more dangerous for the console.

Nah, the heat difference is negligible. I've used 7200rpm drives in my PS3 since day 1, including with the fatty and now the slim. Never had a problem.

twl

Banned
I'll back up this claim. I've seen far more Seagates die on me in my time than I have ever seen Western Digitals. I have a 10+ year-old 80GB WD HDD that still is rocking full-time in a home server. These things are rock solid. This is why I put a Scorpio Black in my PS4 over the others. I got a phenomenal deal on it and I know they are rock solid.

While I do agree that Seagate have a bad reputation for breaking down and WD Black are great HDDs, having an old HDD doesn't prove shit, I have an 8(!)gb Seagate, fully functioning and I'm guessing that HDD is probably older than some Gaffers :D

But yes, for my desktop I wouldn't buy anything other than WD Black for storage, but I've had the 750gb Seagate Momentus XT in my ps3 for 3-somewhat years now and that still purrs like a kitten, so I'm going for the most bang for the buck, waiting for more numbers like a kid on Xmas morning! Also EU so 8 more days to figure shit like this out, the other is what headphones to get -.-

My PS4 is SUPPOSED to arrive next week, really wondering if I should just wait to upgrade, how would I go about upgrading and transferring data?

Geoff9920

Kind of related-ish...

I have a 60GB PS3 phat with the original HDD. Would a 1TB SSHD work with it?

I know it's slighty off topic but the old ps3 thread seems long dead and I didn't want to start a new thread for a question this minor.

th4tguy

Here are the videos showing the different boot times using a HGST Travelstar 7k1000 2.5-inch 1tb 7200rpm sata iii HDD.
All apps that are run are the digital versions of the game. I tried to time the videos from when the game starts loading to when I can hit a button to "enter" the game. Some of the times are provided by youtube commenter Zachary Gray. I also don't skip any of the intros in my figures.

PS4 Cold Boot: 17.5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm0leNcOz_U

Blacklight: Retribution: 34 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEuR-P4y6cM

Warframe: 36 seconds (starts after update check)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMpih2n124s

Flower: 17 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRU3Nvo-iSU

DC: Universe: 35 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTwXFGSSXVc

Contrast: 14 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9Sib1EqVP4

Assassin's Creed 4: 31 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbYrhrGNTAw

Kilzone: Shadowfall: 8 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x58mZ9hWdhA

COD: Ghost: 11.3 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqHC6PjPh9g

th4tguy

Kind of related-ish...

I have a 60GB PS3 phat with the original HDD. Would a 1TB SSHD work with it?

I know it's slighty off topic but the old ps3 thread seems long dead and I didn't want to start a new thread for a question this minor.

I think it should. I'm taking the 500GB stock drive from the PS4 and putting it into my PS3 phat so I can download free PS+ games on it.

Top Bottom