• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Rumors , APU code named 'Liverpool' Radeon HD 7970 GPU Steamroller CPU 16GB Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.
those specs seem to be igp-size. like an apu gpu.. like a trinity or anything like that. 2 rop's for example.

not beefy enough to be the main gpu so you'd have to speculate a apu+discrete setup.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Uncharted and Killzone looked great but if you played multi-platform games on PS3 and then played the 360 version without MSAA the difference in claritysharpness was HUGE.

I will never buy games on a platform that uses this AA tech when I can get it for the competitors platform using a more traditional AA method.

Just give us an option to disable it in the settings......problem solved.

Didn't Nintendo games often have a sharp/smooth setting?

those specs seem to be igp-size. like an apu gpu.. like a trinity or anything like that. 2 rop's for example.

not beefy enough to be the main gpu so you'd have to speculate a apu+discrete setup.

Yes, that´s an APU. 5 SIMD units would mean 5 jaguar cores with 5 floating point units. Besides it would have 320 shader procesors. This plus a decent GPU: WIN. The APU alone would be similar to a Wii u...

Advanced Micro Devices Management Discusses Q3 2012 Results - Earnings Call Transcript

Second, our low-power APUs, graphics IP and reusable design blocks give us a distinct advantage to build semi-custom APUs for new embedded markets. We are focused on growing our share in targeted embedded markets. These include communications, industrial and gaming, which will outpace the PC industry growth for the foreseeable future. Our semi-custom APUs already have a number of confidential high-volume design wins in place. We plan for our embedded business to comprise approximately 20% of our quarterly revenue by the fourth quarter of 2013, up from 5% today.

I think what's important is to look at terms of how we're simplifying our product development cycles. And we've talked about this before in terms of creating the reusable IP blocks to create the structure in order to streamline our development and also to lower our cost of that development. We believe with the work of many talented engineers across AMD, their focus is to really streamline that activity, lower that cost and deliver our based set of offerings, and then to build off of that with our reusable IP base in order to go attack those markets.

This embedded opportunity is one we've been working on for some time. It's also around semi-custom. These opportunities are areas that are going to be significantly higher growth for this foreseeable future. Those confidential design wins are in place. We have silicon in play, already coming back to AMD, that gives us the basis to execute those plans. We believe that those -- that we're on pace to deliver those objectives in the second half of next year.

Got it. And then just for my last question, a quick clarification, I believe, on John's question on the embedded opportunity. Is it safe to say that by the end of next year, most of that revenue will be coming from the gaming industry? Or what about between the comm and the industrial side?

Rory P. Read - Chief Executive Officer, President and Director
There's no doubt that this is a set of confidential wins, and we get can't get into any of those specifics. We're clearly targeting industrial, communications, gaming, so those areas where the APUs and our graphics IP make the most sense. But we can't announce them. We'll announce them in due course over the course of the coming quarters.

I think what we mean by reusable IPs is really getting to a much more System-On-Chip infrastructure so that we're able to spin products faster as well as customize them for their various markets. So I wouldn't see it as a shift from R&D to COGS, but more as building a foundation so that we can move quickly into new markets as they developed. And that's a very key thing for us. And we still will invest very heavily in our differentiating IP, such as the graphics IP that we talked about as well as our microprocessor IP. So that part doesn't change.
Simi-custom APU = SoC = Game Console SoC built with "graphics IP and reusable design blocks" and in time for 2013 launch. Most likely 28nm could be 22nm or a combination of the two ("process optimized building blocks")

AMD says they will have their low power APUs in 125 platforms (Tablets, laptops, Embedded) with Windows 8 in 2013, I assume that's 121 plus Xbox 720 with several different SKUs. Low power APUs will eventually be 14nm transistors on a 20nm plane die by 2014 (maybe late 2013) with 20nm to start in 2013. 14nm to be reserved in the short term for handhelds where battery life is very critical.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
APU : ~1.5-2 Tflops
Depending on the GPU it could easily go up to 4-6 TFlops... correct me if I'm wrong.

The APU in the OP would be 1.8 Tflops, but the APU suggested by that special guy post would be much smaller.

If the APU is the former, there wouldn't be an additional discrete GPU.

If special guys info is from 2010 it would make a bit more sense...the info in the OP is from late 2011 iirc. That is, if we're believing it all :)

thuway

APU : ~1.5-2 Tflops
Depending on the GPU it could easily go up to 4-6 TFlops... correct me if I'm wrong.

In all honesty, this console will probably be around 1.8 teraflops. I just don't see Sony springing for a discrete GPU alongside a 1.8 teraflop APU. It would be awesome-as-fuck, but I doubt it :-/.

ekim

In all honesty, this console will probably be around 1.8 teraflops. I just don't see Sony springing for a discrete GPU alongside a 1.8 teraflop APU. It would be awesome-as-fuck, but I doubt it :-/.

Just have a look how many TFlops a GTX 690 has... They need something around this number to ensure another lifecycle of ~10 years.

JMPerona

Is there any kind of visual diference (in graphics) between 1 and 2 teraflops? I dont know nothing on this matter. Flops is something new for me.

RaijinFY

It would be incredibly stupid and costly to do that. I think we will get ~2TB of processing power between CPU & GPU. My main concern is the amount of ram. There's no way Sony can do with only 2GB. That has be to brought to 4 minimum. What i would like to see is a fast pool of memory (128MB or even 256MB) additionally. Then for the main system you could put a slow ram and decent quantity.

thuway

It would be incredibly stupid and costly to do that. I think we will get ~2TB of processing power between CPU & GPU. My main concern is the amount of ram. There's no way Sony can do with only 2GB. That has be to brought to 4 minimum. What i would like to see is a fast pool of memory (128MB or even 256MB) additionally. Then for the main system you could put a slow ram and decent quantity.
No it wouldn't be stupid. You would see an incredible bump in performance. The problematic issue is with cost and heat. Beyond3D is suggesting there will be a discrete GPU as well. I find it hard to stomach, but it would mean huge things for graphics.

RaijinFY

No it wouldn't be stupid. You would see an incredible bump in performance. The problematic issue is with cost and heat. Beyond3D is suggesting there will be a discrete GPU as well. I find it hard to stomach, but it would mean huge things for graphics.

But what you're describing is absurd. You will never see an 1.8Tflops APU + another discrete GPU in a closed box. As for now, i would only take the vgleaks leak for credible.

Is there any kind of visual diference (in graphics) between 1 and 2 teraflops? I dont know nothing on this matter. Flops is something new for me.

FLOPS

It measures theoratical floating point performance. Not necessarily useful for real world performance in games, especially not for CPUs. It's okay for a rough estimation though.

McHuj

An APU with 320 shaders @ 800 MHzm would only provide 512 giga flops of GPU power. With a new architecture, maybe it would be 4x in real world performance. Not good enough for a new gen, IMO.

However if the APU's primary use case is similar to that of the cell in that the shader processing power is used like the SPE's, the it could be considered a very powerful CPU and paired with a 1+ Tflop GPU would be really powerful system.

F#A#Oo

Banned
But what you're describing is absurd. You will never see an 1.8Tflops APU + another discrete GPU in a closed box.

Yeah. I don't think people realise this, people are allowing their imagination to take over.

Some of you need to look into the R&D companies like Sony and Nintendo put into making cases designs.

thuway

But what you're describing is absurd. You will never see an 1.8Tflops APU + another discrete GPU in a closed box. As for now, i would only take the vgleaks leak for credible.

Microsoft is also rumured to be pulling something like this. The APU would serve as a low powered mode to function during media activities. It make's a lot of sense, but I seriously hope the APU would have been closer to 1.0 TF than 500 GF.

coldfoot

Banned
320 non-GCN shaders at 800 Mhz is a far cry from 1.8Tflops.
It's weird that Sony is using one, older graphics architecture as an APU and will presumably use another, newer architecture as a GPU...
Maybe the APU is there for Cell emulation, for at least all the PSN games, and major disc releases.

thuway

320 non-GCN shaders at 800 Mhz is a far cry from 1.8Tflops.
It's weird that Sony is using one, older graphics architecture as an APU and will presumably use another, newer architecture as a GPU...
Maybe the APU is there for Cell emulation, for at least all the PSN games, and major disc releases.

Roughly how much power does the APU have?

Sid

How much are they gonna cost because the power of Sony and Microsoft next gen offering seems obscene.... And very expensive.
They will take a moderate loss early on,buying in bulk would help and they are likely using 'off the shelf' parts which would mean the costs would come down very quickly as opposed to something like the ps3's components.They make most of their cash initially on the software anyway.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
are we really expecting an AMD APU to be nearly 2TF? I thought so far they've all been pretty lacklustre, with grand promises of things to come that never seem to happen.

An APU with 320 shaders @ 800 MHzm would only provide 512 giga flops of GPU power. With a new architecture, maybe it would be 4x in real world performance. Not good enough for a new gen, IMO.

However if the APU's primary use case is similar to that of the cell in that the shader processing power is used like the SPE's, the it could be considered a very powerful CPU and paired with a 1+ Tflop GPU would be really powerful system.

this is what I hope. shaders used for GPGPU inside the APU, plus a discrete GPU that can get on with graphics.

McHuj

How much are they gonna cost because the power of Sony and Microsoft next gen offering seems obscene.... And very expensive.

I doubt AMD would know the price of the final product.

And nothing stated here sounds expensive for a product shipping at the end of next year.

A 28nm APU based on 4-8 Jaguar cores + 320 shaders, will be significantly smaller , more power efficient, more cost effective then even Trinity that's out on the market today for around $100 RETAIL.

Even the dedicated GPU's that are being speculated on won't be extremely expensive. At this point you can get, once again in retail, a 7850 card (PCB, 1GB GDDR5, GPU, Cooling) for around under $200.

My guess the actual cost of this APU+GPU (just the chips) would be around $100. At $299, they may lose some money on the whole console, I don't think they will at $399.

coldfoot

Banned
At this point you can get, once again in retail, a 7850 card (PCB, 1GB GDDR5, GPU, Cooling) for around under $200.
Actually, that $200 price resembles a quite high markup based on what Nvidia has out, since it went down to the $165 level overnight with the launch of the 650Ti.

My guess the actual cost of this APU+GPU (just the chips) would be around $100. At $299, they may lose some money on the whole console, I don't think they will at $399.

There is no way i see Sony and MS next console being 299 even Nintendo has console at 350.
Why price at 299 and lose money if the market willing to pay at least 400 and they going to sell out for the first year anyway.

Mitsurugi

Neo Member
So...ps4's APU is to be used for XTV/ATSC 2.0 TV tuning and recording, playing Blu-Rays and video files, PS Eye 2.0 videochat, and running current gen psn games?
If so, how much of the 4GB or more of fast RAM would it need or would it get it's own isolated type of ram?

I'm confused. I don't think there are any APUs which can reach 2 TFLOPS right now and in the near future. But why would they use an APU and a discrete GPU? Because of power consumption? You can already have very low power consumption even with fast GPUs when system load is low, a 7950 consumes ~15 watt in idle and ~45 watt when watching a Blu-ray, that doesn't sound much. Is it really worth the added complexity?

Yeah we should get decent spec console for around $399 which would more likely be the launch price for either the PS4 and Xbox 720. Unless Sony is trying to pull a Wiiesque console, which I highly doubt it.

If it wasn't for the Blu-ray last time, I know that the PS3 could have had a launch price of as low as $299. I wonder how that would have been for the market.

Nah other factors also made the PS3 cost a fair amount for eg Cell was suppose to be at 65nm when the PS3 was release that did not happen .
Which why people should never trust fab timelines to tell the truth but yes that was one of the main reasons .

So...ps4's APU is to be used for XTV/ATSC 2.0 TV tuning and recording, playing Blu-Rays and video files, PS Eye 2.0 videochat, and running current gen psn games?
If so, how much of the 4GB or more of fast RAM would it need or would it get it's own isolated type of ram?

I would say that shaders in the APU are there mainly for physics when gaming and for allowing the discrete gpu to be disconnected and have a tdp of 0 watts when doing multimedia stuff.
Similar to the MS leaked document in which they included a multimedia chipset to allow the thing to be all the day in stand-by ready to stream, etc.

KageMaru

FLOPS

It measures theoratical floating point performance. Not necessarily useful for real world performance in games, especially not for CPUs. It's okay for a rough estimation though.

When used in the right context, comparing FLOPS has some merit. However people tend to forget that FLOPS isn't the final indicator towards overall system performance. One system can have a higher theoretical limit but be crippled by some bottleneck in the design. This was recently touched on over at B3D:

The problem with PC video card manufacturers is that they are forced to look backwards not forwards. i.e. the latest and greatest are optimized to run what's out as well as possible.

Sony and MS have a lot of flexibility in the GPU design even with the same basic architecture, even without esoteric additions like EDRAM.

How do you balance ALU's, ROP's, TMU's, tessellation performance, register pool sizes, cache sizes, and Bandwidth. Flops is a number people tend to think equates to performance, but it's only one part of the puzzle.

You could build two very different GPU's with the same basic building blocks, a lot depends on what the system designers think is going to be important going forwards.

Now I don't think anyone will really care about 4K displays but if one side did and the other didn't you'd build very different parts.

McHuj

There is no way i see Sony and MS next console being 299 even Nintendo has console at 350.
Why price at 299 and lose money if the market willing to pay at least 400 and they going to sell out for the first year anyway.

I didn't say they would price it at 299, I said that at 299 they would probably lose money, but not at 399. I don't think the rumored specs for either console are such that at 399, they'll still be losing $100.

Durante

The APU as outlined above certainly wouldn't be the main GPU (well, at least I'd hope so, otherwise Sony can just pack up and exit stage left). I'd like it as a general purpose processing augmentation to the CPU, particularly if it shares the CPU's cache.

I hope this confirms a dedicated CPU + GPU architecture, the preformance ceiling for integrated is still too low.

I didn't say they would price it at 299, I said that at 299 they would probably lose money, but not at 399. I don't think the rumored specs for either console are such that at 399, they'll still be losing $100.

Okay i mistake what you were saying but yeah i agree with you at 399 the won't be losing much .

When used in the right context, comparing FLOPS has some merit.

Of course. But not for laymen; for them, it can even be misleading (as you rightly say). One would tend to think that a 200 GFLOPS CPU is about twice as fast as a 100 GFLOPS one, while it can totally be the other way round, depending on the application.
Best is not to rely on such numbers if you're not deep enough into the matter.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Gemüsepizza;43372541 said:
I'm confused. I don't think there are any APUs which can reach 2 TFLOPS right now and in the near future. But why would they use an APU and a discrete GPU? Because of power consumption? You can already have very low power consumption even with fast GPUs when system load is low, a 7950 consumes ~15 watt in idle and ~45 watt when watching a Blu-ray, that doesn't sound much. Is it really worth the added complexity?
It's worth it because APU + GPU results in more usable power than just that same GPU alone, and is cheaper and cooler than getting just a CPU + faster GPU.

In a closed console system they can make those two GPUs work in parallel, something that's technically possible on a PC with that configuration as well, but is underused because game would have to target a very specific hardware scenario. In a console they can also probably integrate the two with a faster connection than they would be on a PC (pure speculation, kind of like they did with CPU+GPU on PS3)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Actually, that $200 price resembles a quite high markup based on what Nvidia has out, since it went down to the $165 level overnight with the launch of the 650Ti.

and of course even $165 is massively more expensive than the actual cost price to produce the GPU + whatever license fee is negotiated to use the tech.

KageMaru

Of course. But not for laymen; for them, it can even be misleading (as you rightly say). One would tend to think that a 200 GFLOPS CPU is about twice as fast as a 100 GFLOPS one, while it can totally be the other way round, depending on the application.
Best is not to rely on such numbers if you're not deep enough into the matter.

Agreed, there are so many factors outside of vague FLOPS counts, and like you said, they can be quite misleading. Heck even sticking with FLOPS, as we saw with the PS3 and 360, companies can even use non-programmable FLOPS to inflate the FLOPS counts of their respective system.

Sony and MS are not afraid to sell at a loss in order to obtain a price advantage. Nintendo is.

This is reminding me of the Vita situation before the price was revealed. Everyone saw the specs was like, "OMG $399 handheld confirmed!!". And then Sony announced $250, same as 3DS.

Sony and MS are not afraid to sell at a loss in order to obtain a price advantage. Nintendo is.

This is reminding me of the Vita situation before the price was revealed. Everyone saw the specs was like, "OMG $399 handheld confirmed!!". And then Sony announced $250, same as 3DS.

Yeah i know the willing to take a lost i just saying it makes no sense to do so if they don't have to .

That would be suicide. Consoles don't sell at those prices, they already tried that this gen.

Nothing is suicide at 399 .

I think we'll see $399-$499 price range and would be surprised if either launched at $299.

I agree .

Shahed

That would be suicide. Consoles don't sell at those prices, they already tried that this gen.

How much was the PS2 when it launched? I think most people would be alright for $400. I'd be fine with $499 personally, but at the price it'd be hard to adopt for most

Yeah i know the willing to take a lost i just saying it makes no sense to do so if they don't have to .

It does make sense if not selling at loss means selling at some ridiculous price like $400-500.

How much was the PS2 when it launched? I think most people would be alright for $400. I'd be fine with $499 personally, but at the price tt'd be hard to adopt for most

$299, but I remember getting it for $199 so it must have dropped really fast.

It does make sense if not selling at loss means selling at some ridiculous price like $400-500.

$299, but I remember getting it for $199 so it must have dropped really fast.

PS2 did not drop really fast in Europe it cost as much as 400 at launch and they were shortages for months .
The first price drop for PS2 in NA was 18 months after release .

399 is not a ridiculous price point both Sony and MS sold over 10 million consoles at that .
In the first year when you know the hardcore going to by your consoles if you can sell it for 399 and break even or make profit it make sense to do so .
You also have to take in account how many units they can make for the first year , then you can drop 50 - 100 of in the second year .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom