• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sales have surpassed 5.3 million units according to Sony (As of Feb 8)

That sounds ridiculous. I don't think there'll ever be a non pack in game that has 70% attach rate...

with 2 million Xbones in the US, are you expecting Titanfall XB1 sales to be over a million in march?

Some people are expecting Titanfall to be so huge it'll boost the X1 enough to catch up the PS4. A lot of overestimation is involed.

R3TRODYCE

When Sony said that they planned to sell ~16 million (or some crazy number like that) by the end of the year I said that was crazy talk but now I actually see that happening. The way it's selling is amazing.

EGOMON

Well, as I don`t know where I should post it, I`ll post it here. Thuway made some pretty cryptic twitter posts of the PS4 and it`s future.

Whatever is happening behind the scenes, it’s got people excited.
Things to look forward to:
Drive Club updated footage
PS4 VR + SSM [Sony Santa Monica] New IP
UC 4 [Uncharted 4]
Guerilla new IP
UC4
The Last Guardian
And yes, UC4 was posted twice on purpose.

The future for PS4 oh so good.

GT7 Prologue was left out intentionally.

OK I’m gonna get angry pms now , but thats all I’ll say.
Wow that sound like Sony E3 2014, pretty damn good stuff to look forward to

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
dreamcast_condolences_small_38204.jpg

Logash

Maybe at some point they will get to buying the game but not at launch. It's just impossible. You have to realize that not everyone who bought Xbox acts like you or your friend would act. You have to look at statistics. Even 50% is VERY high for a game. The argument that you are making could be as easily made about Mario on Nintendo system. And that just does not happen.
Yeah I guess you're right about the Nintendo thing. Maybe I'm just caught up in the hype of this thing. I am not a CoD gamer and I don't even own an Xbox One (None of my friends do either). I just have trouble believe that anyone who bought an Xbox One isn't interested in Titanfall. Of course, I am most likely wrong.

PNut

Banned
What makes you say that?

Surely hardcore gamers if they were to gravitate to one console it would be the more powerful kinect-less console?

Regarding the hardcore CoD, I'm pretty sure CoD is selling more on PS4 than XB1, despite CoD slightly edging it in America.

Hardcore fps gamers prefer xone controller. Mlg cod was played on xbox. Still is I think.

Not sure, but would he be able to do so definitively (no further speculation required) with the loss of Titanfall exclusivity? Is Microsoft literally hanging on by Titanfall's coattails here?

If Titanfall doesn't provide the massive boost some expect (it won't), then there's nothing rill whenever Halo 5 or a Price Cut come along

When Sony said that they planned to sell ~16 million (or some crazy number like that) by the end of the year I said that was crazy talk but now I actually see that happening. The way it's selling is amazing.

On their current trajectory they will be at 10 million by June. They are still selling every console they make. We could be looking at a case where it's sold out all through the year. I think Christmas especially it will be hard to find unless they increase output.

Yeah I guess you're right about the Nintendo thing. Maybe I'm just caught up in the hype of this thing. I am not a CoD gamer and I don't even own an Xbox One (None of my friends do either). I just have trouble believe that anyone who bought an Xbox One isn't interested in Titanfall. Of course, I am most likely wrong.

Here's one person right here, I'm playing the beta and the game is good, my intention is to burn myself our on it now so I have no interest in the game come launch, it's going to plan. Though as I mentioned earlier in this thread I don't like a company buying a games exclusivity so I won't get this game because of that, I won't support something that is a detriment to gamers.

Hardcore fps gamers prefer xone controller. Mlg cod was played on xbox. Still is I think.

I'm sure PS4 versions of COD and BF have outsold their XB1 counterparts. It doesn't matter what MLG plays on lol people are going to go where their friends are.

Portugeezer

Would the loss of Titanfall exclusivity due to poor X1 sales be more newsworthy than the loss of FFXIII exclusivity was due to PS3's poor sales? Would amir0x come in here proclaiming an end to the age of Microsoft, when even EA sees the writing on the wall?

I don't think Sony paid for FF13 exclusivity. Not even the same thing, although FF13 was much bigger news because it was a big name and back then people expected an amazing game.

Man, I bet EA is kicking themselves right now. I'm really interested to see how the sales lead, if the gap continues to get bigger, will translate into how third-parties approach releases on the PS4.

We're already seeing clear performance differences between third-party multi-plats and according to the latest sales results the majority of thrid-party multi-plats sold more on PS4.

I don't know how MS is going to be able to pull what they did last gen when they started to coast on multiplatform exclusive DLC deals to make up for their lack of first-party development and output. Part of the reason people usually bought a 360 version of a game over a PS3 version of game was partly because of performance differences but also partly because for the most popular games like CoD and Skyrim, the 360 often had time exclusivity on new DLC like map packs and expansion packs. Don't forget the Xbox logo that would show up in advertising too.

Unless MS money hats third-parties and continues to help with third-party advertising in exchange for timed exclusivity, I don't know how they continue to do that. Third parties will gravitate to where the money is and whatever console sells the most software for them.

Furyous

The question is, why didn't they invest more in first party studios during the development of Xbox One? As much as I like him and he comes across as a nice guy on Twitter, Phil Spencer and those above him haven't done enough in that regard in my opinion. I think those above his pay grade are strictly unwilling or ignorant to see the concept of building a diverse portfolio. It's all so predictable too, Remedys game is promising but once again we are getting Forza, Halo, Fable and Gears. Don't they ever see the possibility of these ips becoming stagnant ?

Their strategy worked last gen. New IPs take money away from existing IPs. You could make the argument that $100 million spent on GoW could go to development of first party studios. Those first party games won't move the same number of consoles or sell as many copies as GoW. In other words, it's better to spend money something that works that customers know than spend money on games that might fail.

Now with that said, I'd love a strong Microsoft first party. However, the execs at Microsoft feel differently.

I said guddayumn!! That is insane. Means they did 1.1 million in little over a month (was 4.2 as of Dec. 28).

And people keep saying the industry is doomed. Ha. Ha, I say.

Well, as I don`t know where I should post it, I`ll post it here. Thuway made some pretty cryptic twitter posts of the PS4 and it`s future.
So all of that's gonna happen @ GDC? Very impressive if true, but I'll detain the hype until I see the proof.

The PS4 probably has one of the best console launch line-ups in regards to software than any other.

The best versions of the biggest games. AC, Battlefield, Need for Speed, Call of Duty, FIFA, Madden, Killzone ShadowFall which had it's ups and downs, but I think we can all agree that it was one of the most visually impressive games of all time. And of course Knack, cus well, it's knack.

R3TRODYCE

On their current trajectory they will be at 10 million by June. They are still selling every console they make. We could be looking at a case where it's sold out all through the year. I think Christmas especially it will be hard to find unless they increase output.

10 million by June is astounding by itself so with 6 extra months left in the year just wow at the numbers.

rc6886

Unconfirmed Member
Some people are expecting Titanfall to be so huge it'll boost the X1 enough to catch up the PS4. A lot of overestimation is involed.

In this particular scenario, I think we should take into consideration how Ghosts or BF4 did on XB1/PS4 vs 360/PS3. I couldn't find any hard sales numbers for either, but if last-gen Ghosts or BF4 didn't totally trounce current gen sales, then I'd expect the same for Titanfall.

If it was intended to be a system seller (which it will be to a certain extent) MS probably should've ponied up some more dough to get it only for Xbox One. Don't know if it would've been enough to offset potential sales from both PC and the 360 though.

Most of Titanfall's success is undoubtedly going to come from 360, since it has a larger install base. It'll be a hit, just don't know if it's going to be a major hit for the Xbox One or at least the hit MS needs to start shifting more units.

We'll see in the next few weeks.

Logash

The PS4 probably has one of the best console launch line-ups in regards to software than any other.

The best versions of the biggest games. AC, Battlefield, Need for Speed, Call of Duty, FIFA, Madden, Killzone ShadowFall which had it's ups and downs, but I think we can all agree that it was one of the most visually impressive games of all time. And of course Knack, cus well, it's knack.
As some one who has been through 5 launches (PS3, PS4, Vita, 3DS, Wii U), PS4 was probably the best. This probably had more to do with it being an easy machine to port to than anything else. The best version of key franchises were oon next gen and that was an incentive to wait a little. I waited for AC4 and went crazy with it on PS4. 100% and over 40 hours. Same could be said for BF MP. For most other launches I was left dead in the water after the first month.

Fehyd

Banned
I'm actually surprised more developers didn't do quick upgraded ports of previous gen games. Would've ended up double dipping on a lot of games like I did with tomb raider.

DBT85

7 Million at E3 ?

7 Million + by the end of March. My guess.

lets assume that they get 500k in Japan before the end of March. They only have to sell a further 1.2m units to the rest of the world between Feb 8th and March 31st.

They just sold 1.2 between Jan 1st and Feb 8th.

Logash

I'm actually surprised more developers didn't do quick upgraded ports of previous gen games. Would've ended up double dipping on a lot of games like I did with tomb raider.

Missed Skyrim last gen cause I only owned a PS3 and you know the rest lol. Would buy Skyrim with all DLC for $60 on PS4.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
WTF is this?

What are you, 12?!

Mocking the original Dreamcast Ad by Sega and mirroring the irony in the fact that a short while later, the Dreamcast lived its last breath. I don't think XB1 will suffer the same fate, but it's funny that MS was beating its chest over Titanfall exclusivity but now we're seeing Sony running away with it early on anyway...

Tobor

I'll take Infamous over Titanfall any day, but my tastes lean that way.

That's one of the reasons I'm on board with Sony, their exclusives better match my tastes.

I think a Titanfall bundle in the fall is a certainty now. I wouldn't be shocked to see one come out earlier than that but I doubt Titanfall would be free in that early scenario.

Top Bottom