• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sales have surpassed 5.3 million units according to Sony (As of Feb 8)

Biker19

Banned
People actually believing that Titanfall will change everything now? Even with this OP result?
Man, MS's PR drones are effective.

They should be prepared to be disappointed.

A lot of people aren't going to shell out $620 w/tax on a Xbox One console, the TitanFall game itself, & for a yearly subscription to Xbox Live Gold when they can get the same game on either Xbox 360 or PC & save themselves a lot of money. That's certainly too much money to be asking for average consumers.

Impressive numbers. I remember when people thought you needed an outlandish gimmick or hook to shoot out of the gate like this, and a traditional, well made, feedback built console with logical advancements in technology couldn't.

Take note future competitors.

curb

Banned

A lot of people aren't going to shell out $620 w/tax on a Xbox One console, the TitanFall game itself, & for a yearly subscription to Xbox Live Gold when they can get the same game on either Xbox 360 or PC & save themselves a lot of money. That's certainly too much money to be asking for average consumers.

Nailed it
at least, from my perspective

I could be wrong though, sales numbers from March and April will be the only way to know for sure.

Fehyd

Banned
PS4 really is the old adage KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) in console form. Make a cheap, powerful box, be upfront, and if its a dedicated gaming console, make sure its best at actually playing games.

The market rewarded them with a buttload of sales.

DBT85

While titanfall is fun, how many are going to spend 500$ to play it? One game won't push the x1 over ps4, certainly not one that's also coming out on two other platforms.

Itll get a nice bump for the month, but sony would have to sell zero consoles to give up that lead.

If it wasn't also on the 360 then it might push more $500 Xbones. But it is. So it wont.

panda-zebra

dreamcast_condolences_small_38204.jpg
/10

Didn't know this was worthy enough for a new thread!

PS4:

1 day - November 16th, 2013 - 1 million
2 weeks - December 1st, 2013 - 2.1 million
1 month - December 28th, 2013 - 4.2 million
3 months - February 8th, 2014 - 5.3 million

So...

1 day to reach the first million, 15 to reach the second, 15 more to reach 4 million... and 60 more days to reach the 5th million. PS4 is definitely losing steam, BLOWNY must be worried.

Biker19

Banned
I see Sony is continuing with the Champions League banners. PS4 #4theplayers everywhere.

From what I heard, the UEFA Champions League Finals is bigger in popularity than the Super Bowl is worldwide.

Imagine if Sony had a Champions League app on PS4 & Sony advertises it as well. Tons of PS4's will be sold even more.

If it wasn't also on the 360 then it might push more $500 Xbones. But it is. So it wont.

Oh, it will force the hands of a few holdouts, but I don't see it single handedly making the XBO a sales phenomenon, like some of the wii games did.

Being multiplatform doesn't make it as killer an app as some think it will. I can see it doubling sales for the month though, easily. After that though, i've no idea.

And why all the Titanfall talk in this topic? I'd think more people woudl be interested in what solid numbers will do for sony themselves. I can see publishers who were iffy about making that next gen jump moving to provide the ps4 will some more support.

arimanius

While titanfall is fun, how many are going to spend 500$ to play it? One game won't push the x1 over ps4, certainly not one that's also coming out on two other platforms.

Itll get a nice bump for the month, but sony would have to sell zero consoles to give up that lead.

I love my ps4, however if there's a really decent titanfall bundle I would consider getting it. Otherwise I will just get titanfall on the pc.

Iacobellis

Impressive numbers. I remember when people thought you needed an outlandish gimmick or hook to shoot out of the gate like this, and a traditional, well made, feedback built console with logical advancements in technology couldn't.

You never need a gimmick. You just need a cheap, powerful, and properly marketed console that has the games everybody wants to play.

Lime

This is a real shame. Sony doesn't have ANY software appealing to ME. Where is Atelier Uguugu? And how about a big JRPG franchise from Mark Cerny and based Yu Suzuki and Nobuo Uematsu? And why hasn't Guerrila Games, who sucks anyway, unveiled their new IP wrpg shooter hybrid with dating sim elements?

I saw from the Order gifs that the entire game takes place in a hallway and it's just a boring third person shooter, which is a genre nobody likes, so another fail on sony's part.

Okay, this got a good laugh out of me.

Well, the success doesn't come only from Sony.
Nintendo was competing with no one in the next-generation market for a year and somehow managed to end up being irrelevant in the process for the next few years.
Microsoft completely botched their first months in their strongest markets, US and UK, due to several reasons (unveil, price, hw power, etc...)

And why all the Titanfall talk in this topic?
Because some people still think it is the 2nd coming of Jesus and will elevate XBO well above PS4's sales until the end of time.

I honestly don't see it even boosting XBO sales past PS4's in March, now. Sounds like a pretty fun game tho (it's got mechs and I'm into mecha, obviously).

Concerning MS resting on Titanfall, has any one game turned the tide for a company in the history of gaming?
Sonic did for the Genesis (in U.S and Europe).

I guess you could say FFVII did for PS1 in Japan, but it's not like PS1 was ever losing in Japan against Saturn actually. Just that the two were really close in sales there until FFVII came out.

meanspartan

Because some people still think it is the 2nd coming of Jesus and will elevate XBO well above PS4's sales until the end of time.

I honestly don't see it even boosting XBO sales past PS4's in March, now. Sounds like a pretty fun game tho (it's got mechs and I'm into mecha, obviously).

Having played it on PC a lot this weekend, it is undeniably an amazingly fun shooter that will move some Xbox Ones.

HOWEVER, the bump won't be as huge as some think. It is coming to PC, so that takes off some potential Xbox One buyers, and the fact that it is also on 360 two weeks later will keep some people from buying it too, especially since given that its strength isn't in the graphics department it's not like it'll look that much worse on last gen anyway.

Sean*O

218k to 511k. However it was a holiday month: November.

2-2.5x is the biggest bump you can expect from a release and especially the lower end considering its not the holidays. In XB1's case that puts it at around 300k the month Titanfall comes out. I mean Halo 3 which had astronomical hype only resulted in a 2x increase.

PS4 did 271k in January. Yeah Titanfall ain't going to save XB1 numbers and its a possibility XB1 will get outsold by PS4 in March NPD.

I'd say it's pretty certain the PS4 will outsell Xbone in March. Even for people who couldn't care less or didn't follow the whole DRM thing and every other mistake MS has made along the way; it feels like the Xbone has become mired in skepticism and it's becoming mainstream knowledge that it's a much weaker system than the less expensive PS4. It feels like people are starting to conclude that the Xbone is a bad investment. I don't even think a shockingly good looking Halo or Gears of War game would reverse course for them at this point, and nothing as unimpressive as Titanfall is going to move the needle.

TMNT

Banned
Excited for the future of the console. I've loved every minute I've spent on mine. Expecting great things this year and beyond.

M cousin actually went out and bought a Xbone and a new 40 in tv the night Titan Fall went open beta, even though he already had it on PC.

Next sony, price down, down down down. I know you are watching those possible profits when your manufacturing costs come down, but moving hw should be priority now. When you are in 200 - 300 range you can start to reap the profits from console sales. Pretty please sony.

Yoday

218k to 511k. However it was a holiday month: November.

2-2.5x is the biggest bump you can expect from a release and especially the lower end considering its not the holidays. In XB1's case that puts it at around 300k the month Titanfall comes out. I mean Halo 3 which had astronomical hype only resulted in a 2x increase.

PS4 did 271k in January. Yeah Titanfall ain't going to save XB1 numbers and its a possibility XB1 will get outsold by PS4 in March NPD.
Consider that Gears was an exclusive, and Titanfall is not. Titanfall isn't the kind of game that is going to push next gen on people, as it just doesn't have the graphical fidelity that requires a next gen purchase over the 360 version. If people want a PS4, then they will still get the PS4, and then just buy Titanfall on the 360. The only thing that will push people to get Titanfall on the XB1 is if their friends are playing it there.

Skeff

40" ? so small.

Something something 720p joke.

I honestly think most people who want an xb1 for titanfall have already bought an XB1, after all March isn't exactly far from launch and there's having nicer than Ps360 multiplats as a bonus too. I don't think the bump in sales will be large at all.

Assuming absolutely everyone who wants to play it has a more than just capable PC or a 360, of course.
If not, that would be asking for a little more.

johnny956

The demand is just crazy for the PS4. Worked sunday morning and the lady who answers the phones at our store took phones calls all day asking if we had it in stock (we sold out before opening with line tickets).

Zornack

I could see a $499 TF bundle that includes 3 months of live. That would move some units

That would be weird since it's not a Microsoft published game. Microsoft would have paid EA to make it exclusive then paid them again for a couple million bundled copies.

Though they did do that with FIFA already. Maybe Microsoft should just buy EA at this point with how much money they're throwing at them.

Never understood the hype behind Titanfall. This hardly seems like a repeat of the Gears of War situation. Back in 2006, Gears of War came out as an innovative TPS with cover-based mechanics and ground-breaking console graphics. When you put it up against the $600 PS3 with inferior graphics, no achievements, and Resistance: Fall of Man as the main draw, one could easily argue Gears of War was a killer app. But what's the killer status behind Titanfall? It will launch in March (not the holiday season). It missed the launch window and will already be out of the picture by Q4 when COD, Battlefield, and Destiny launch. Most people I know (yes, anecdotal evidence) haven't even heard of it. And it's hardly a graphical spectacle.

I'm sure Titanfall will sell strong numbers and it may even sell a decent number of consoles, but I doubt it'll make much of a dent in the system's sales trajectory.

Top Bottom